Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harrys

Phase IV announced
    All for Dec 2013

Arklow
    Carlow
    Cavan
    Shannon Town              
    Carrigaline
    Cobh
    Cork Central
    Dennehy’s Cross
    Glanmire
    Hettyfield
    Mallow
    Midleton
    Wellington Road
    Blanchardstown
    Cabra
    Dundrum
    Finglas
    Priory Park
    Rathmines
    Rush
    Skerries
    Sutton
    Whitehall
    Oranmore
    Killarney
    Kildare
    Portlaoise
    Caherdavin
    Carrick on Shannon
    Castletroy
    Dundalk
    Ashbourne
    Tullamore
    Monaghan
    Roscommon
    Clonmel
    Nenagh
    Thurles
    Tycor Waterford
    Roslevin
    Enniscorthy
    Gorey
    Greystones
    Newtownmountkennedy
    Leixlip
    Newbridge
    Terenure
    Dundrum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

One more phase only after that I reckon, I see central Galway is not programmed ( or Ballymoneen or Roscam) and only Oranmore out the county.

Newtownmountkennedy is around their 130th largest exchange ...and the smallest of that lot and they have have announced around 80 with that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

How would I find out what exchange I'm on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

There has been a lot of activity by Eircom around Castlebar the last week or so.

They have been working on the street cabinets all over the place.

Im not sure if it has anything to do with fibre though. I will stop and talk to them if i see them again.

Interestingly I seen the little canvas huts they put over the access covers in the ground being used today. I had not seen one in years and wondered where they had gone.

It still had the Telecom Éireann logo on it so its clearly at least 12+ years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

harrys wrote: »
    Phase IV announced
    All for Dec 2013

Arklow
    Carlow
    Cavan
    Shannon Town
    Carrigaline
    Cobh
    Cork Central
    Dennehy’s Cross
    Glanmire
    Hettyfield
    Mallow
    Midleton
    Wellington Road
    Blanchardstown
    Cabra
    Dundrum
    Finglas
    Priory Park
    Rathmines
    Rush
    Skerries
    Sutton
    Whitehall
    Oranmore
    Killarney
    Kildare
    Portlaoise
    Caherdavin
    Carrick on Shannon
    Castletroy
    Dundalk
    Ashbourne
    Tullamore
    Monaghan
    Roscommon
    Clonmel
    Nenagh
    Thurles
    Tycor Waterford
    Roslevin
    Enniscorthy
    Gorey
    Greystones
    Newtownmountkennedy
    Leixlip
    Newbridge
    Terenure
    Dundrum

Where did you get that info from cant find it on the eircon site at all ?

• Advertisement

In with their DIRE annual results in the press section.

padraig.od wrote: »
    How would I find out what exchange I'm on?

Follow the phone line out of your house until you come to a building with eircom vans outside. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

seen a few Eircom fans running orange cable feeds around the churchfield cork exchange the last week, haven't seen any cabs popping up yet though.

Is this generally the way things go? As in orange cable being fed first?

Cork981 wrote: »
    seen a few Eircom fans running orange cable feeds around the churchfield cork exchange the last week, haven't seen any cabs popping up yet though.

No, that's just around the Churchfield area. It's a bit rough, and research has shown that socially-deprived vandals think orange cable contains high voltages. In nicer parts of Cork, green cable is the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Their fibre to kerb coverage in Cork so far is still really limited. It's just Douglas Exchange, which is only part of Douglas anyway. To cover all of Douglas, you'd have to include Hettyfield too.

UPC's still 10+ years ahead in terms of coverage areas and their 150mbit/s product is vastly superior to VDSL.

There seems to be a flurry of activity in recent weeks though around Cork with a lot of peering into various ducts and eircom vans flying around the place. I can only assume they're getting ready for a lot of wiring.

I've seen a lot of activity around Cork Central, Quaker Road and Wellington Road areas - Could be that they're not quite prioritising as per the rollout schedule and are just going to blitz the city centre areas together.

There were vans around parts of Douglas that are served by Hettyfield too.

I suspect UPC's killing them in those areas. I know very few people who can get UPC broadband who aren't with them. You'd basically be mad not to go for the much better technology (than DSL) if you are serious about having good broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Spotted 3 Eircom vans on wednesday in mullingar in the morning, theres hope..... lol

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Spotted 3 Eircom vans on wednesday in mullingar in the morning, theres hope..... lol

They've sold a lot off at auction, With the redundancy deals, they don't need as many vans.

Did any of these vans have a roll of carpet stuck outside the nearside window?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Ah boo. Drogheda was announced for Phase 2, and now Dundalk has been announced for Phase 4. Thought Ardee might be in there since it's in between the two. No joy though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Who knows if phase IV will actually be completed. Eircom never completed their infamous dsl rollout, they may never finish this rollout either. Not to mention everyone was completely mislead regarding availability of services on phase I and phase II. Summer 2012 / end 2012 has turned into Early 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

We will catch up with south Koreas speeds in about 50 years. Such a joke this kip

Praetorian wrote: »
    Who knows if phase IV will actually be completed. Eircom never completed their infamous dsl rollout, they may never finish this rollout either.

eircom still have 15 exchanges to complete from their 2007 ADSL1 programme. That is true. They won't provide a date either.

The launch of the fibre product is pinned down by heavy machine gun fire in the regulatory trenches and may be delayed untill well into 2013.

If you want to see how badly stuck have a look at page 42 of this (eircom complaining about "across the fence" pricing pressure from UPC and then read the UPC submission following and the Magnet submission at the end. :)

As well as that the lack of a wholesale VoIP product ( VDSL users must port their number to an VoIP platform ) and the missing IPTV product introduce further potential regulatory hurdles and that is before Sky launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭northeast2012

Sponge Bob wrote: »

As well as that the lack of a wholesale VoIP product ( VDSL users must port their number to an VoIP platform ) and the missing IPTV product introduce further potential regulatory hurdles and that is before Sky launch.

hi, does that mean the loss of the standard phone line?

will there be a price decrease? ( i doubt it )

so again will be getting less for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

hi, does that mean the loss of the standard phone line?

Essentially yes no POTS on VDSL...on the equipment eircom use anyway.

What the whole Comreg document means as far as I can see is country folk will pay "standard" rates and in areas where there is "competition" folk will pay less so that eircom can "compete", prices will therefore rise for everybody. I suspect the whole idea is to "regulate" UPC and make them rise their prices so there will be "competition", instead of making eircom lower their prices, remember we have the highest line rental price on the planet. This is the retarded definition of competition as defined by Comreg.

In the end country folk, who get crap services now, will end up subsidising more urban folk who already get far far better services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

we should have a referendum to rejoin the uk, we could replace scotland, I have yet to see a situation where joe bloggs gets a better deal or equal deal to our neighbours. look at electric, raise prices so we have competition!! and now everyone pays through the nose.

fibre may never get off the ground. It has a big weakness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭northeast2012

bealtine wrote: »

In the end country folk, who get crap services now, will end up subsidising more urban folk who already get far far better services.

unless they build their own solution. ;)
    i am in the very early stages of this, and plan to use the winter months, to get my own solution in place.

in this area, the government and regulation, have failed us miserably.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

unless they build their own solution. ;)
    i am in the very early stages of this, and plan to use the winter months, to get my own solution in place.

in this area, the government and regulation, have failed us miserably.:mad:

Are you going to Spend Millions on Fibre rollout to Rural areas or a FWA Solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

So Eircom are basically saying to Comreg?

''Our services are inferior and too highly priced compared to UPC,please make UPC raise their prices so we look slightly more equal to them''

So Eircom are basically saying to Comreg?

''Our services are inferior and too highly priced compared to UPC,please make UPC raise their prices so we look slightly more equal to them''

Well my reading of it is we can't compete so please regulate UPC (and therefore make them raise their prices) so as to allow us to "compete" we need to lower our prices in areas where UPC are murdering us and those silly country people can pay for this "competition" by subsidizing it with their higher prices.

Retarded if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

bealtine wrote: »
    What the whole Comreg document means as far as I can see is country folk will pay "standard" rates and in areas where there is "competition" folk will pay less so that eircom can "compete", prices will therefore rise for everybody. I suspect the whole idea is to "regulate" UPC and make them rise their prices so there will be "competition", instead of making eircom lower their prices, remember we have the highest line rental price on the planet. This is the retarded definition of competition as defined by Comreg.

Why should Eircom charge the same line rental to everyone, when the cost of maintaining a network in areas of low population density is higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Cork981 wrote: »

No that is the subduct .

1 First thing will be the pulling in of the subduct.
    2 Civils for new cab erection beside existing cabs.
    3 Drawing in fibre to these cabinets
    4 Phase 2 then commences where housing estates or anyone for that matter that is not fed from a cabinet have to be set up.
    everyone has to be put onto a copper cabinet with a fibre cabinet beside that.
    So all in all for any town to be completely finished could take up to a year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

mobil 222 wrote: »
    No that is the subduct .

1 First thing will be the pulling in of the subduct.
    2 Civils for new cab erection beside existing cabs.
    3 Drawing in fibre to these cabinets
    4 Phase 2 then commences where housing estates or anyone for that matter that is not fed from a cabinet have to be set up.
    everyone has to be put onto a copper cabinet with a fibre cabinet beside that.
    So all in all for any town to be completely finished could take up to a year.

Eircom & Meteor have offices in Churchfield thery are recieving fibre eventually it wil be rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I see Arklow where I live is planned for phase 4. I'm on eircoms NGB but because I'm around 2kms away from the exchange the best speed I can get is 2mb. Well that's eircoms excuse anyway.

Any idea what likely speed ill be able to achieve with fibre? Is the distance from exchange still an issue.

Nermal wrote: »
    Why should Eircom charge the same line rental to everyone, when the cost of maintaining a network in areas of low population density is higher?

Nothing in principle the current setup is mandated by the EU. If you don't like SMP principles takes it up with the EU.

However eircom are pleading to be allowed to do "over the fence" pricing which seems to mean, to me anyway, cross-subsidisation.

I see Arklow where I live is planned for phase 4. I'm on eircoms NGB but because I'm around 2kms away from the exchange the best speed I can get is 2mb. Well that's eircoms excuse anyway.

Any idea what likely speed ill be able to achieve with fibre? Is the distance from exchange still an issue.

This is NOT a fibre to the home rollout, it's a fibre to the cabinet rollout so yes distance from the local cabinet will still be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I got speaking to the eircom guys working in castlebar today.

They are as I suspected working on the fibre.

They were telling me that all the work in Ballina is complete, Castlebar is almost finished and once it is they are starting on Westport.

Some of the estates here already had fibre running to the cabinets, the cabs that did not have another smaller cabinet next to them, feeding fibre to the copper lines.

They didn't have any idea about when it would be available to the customer.

Still, its happening. It's about time.

Advertisement