Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

markmurphy wrote: »
    Ha ha! I never had to worry about anything over 9 meg before!
    Ah lads!

and the 10 meg uploads are SAVAGE!!!

And I'm least 750-850m from Cab.

M.

if you follow cable path from my house back to the cab in on its arpund 650-700m and this is what i get (its none vectored as its a cab with a extended top, roll on april)

336958.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Where BT goes, can Eircom be long to follow.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/01/30/uk-bt-results-idUKKBN0L30HV20150130

BT said it would upgrade its fibre broadband network to achieve speeds of up to 500 Mb across most of the country within a decade.
    It will trial a new technology called G.fast and expects to deliver initial speeds of a few hundred megabits per second to millions of homes and businesses by 2020.
    BT's fibre network, which currently boasts speeds of up to 76 megabits, currently passes 22 million premises, with 3.7 million now connected.
    "Our superfast fibre broadband network now covers around three-quarters of the UK," Chief Executive Gavin Patterson said on Friday. "BT has been at the forefront of fibre innovation and investment. We aim to keep it that way."

More here....

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=C3CBFDCD-832A-40E4-A31F-04DFD5F84D09

BT CEO Gavin Patterson today set out the company’s ambition to transform the UK broadband landscape from superfast to ultrafast.

He revealed that BT plans to deliver much faster broadband for homes and small businesses via a widespread deployment of “G.fast”. This is an innovative technology that BT will test in two pilot locations starting this Summer.

G.fast will help BT deliver ultrafast speeds of up to 500Mbps to most of the UK within a decade. Deployment will start in 2016/17, subject to the pilots being successful.

Early tests show G.fast is capable of delivering a range of speeds depending on how close the technology is to a customer’s premises. BT expects to offer initial speeds of a few hundred megabits per second to millions of homes and businesses by 2020. Speeds will then increase to around 500Mbps as further industry standards are secured and new kit is developed.

“BT is a world leader when it comes to fibre innovation and we are excited about the next stage in our story,” Patterson said today. “We believe G.fast is the key to unlocking ultrafast speeds and we are prepared to upgrade large parts of our network should the pilots prove successful. That upgrade will depend however on there continuing to be a stable regulatory environment that supports investment.

“The UK is ahead of its major European neighbours when it comes to broadband and we need to stay ahead as customer demands evolve. G.fast will allow us to do that by building on the investment we have made in fibre to date. It will transform the UK broadband landscape from superfast to ultrafast in the quickest possible timeframe.”

The two pilots will start this Summer in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire and Gosforth, Newcastle. Around 4,000 homes and businesses will be able to participate in the pilots which will explore what speeds can be delivered using G.fast at scale.

The pilots will build on recent tests at BT’s world renowned innovation centre at Adastral Park, Suffolk. These have shown that G.fast has the potential to deliver significant speed increases from existing and new fibre street cabinets as well as from other points closer to the customer. This is an important development as it means the technology can be deployed in a more efficient and rapid manner than previously thought.

BT is likely to deploy G.fast from various points in the network, with the pilots allowing it to assess various roll out options. It is also planning to develop a premium fibre broadband service for those residential and business customers who want even faster broadband, of up to 1Gbps.

BT is currently expanding the reach of its fibre network by working with the public sector across the UK. Its network already passes almost 22 million premises – around three quarters of the UK – and is open to all communications providers on an equal basis. Its expansion will help the UK to boast 95 per cent coverage for fibre broadband within the next few years.

The UK is already ahead of Germany, France, Italy and Spain when it comes to superfast broadband coverage and take-up 1 , and BT’s plans will ensure the UK stays ahead and joins the ranks of world leaders such as Japan and South Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

G.fast is a digital subscriber line (DSL) standard for local loops shorter than 250 m, with performance targets between 150 Mbit/s and 1 Gbit/s, depending on loop length.[1] High speeds are only achieved over very short loops.[2][3] It is a further development of technology used in VDSL2, however it is intended for operation on loops shorter than 250 m, while VDSL2 supports loops up to approximately 2500 m

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast

Ok for urban areas ..... maybe .... depending on the copper runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Would prefer to see Eircom NOT follow BT with G.fast and move towards FTTH as the "next big step". It's infinitely more upgradable in the future than copper. In 50 years I would hope/expect that no telecommunications are taking place over copper wires (outside of premises).

I would like to see VDSL as the last attempt to squeeze more out of copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Uk a lot more built up than Ireland so presumably has a lot more premises within 250m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

I would expect G.Fast to be used by eircom in apartment buildings etc where internal copper cabling is in place and very difficult to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hackery wrote: »
    I would expect G.Fast to be used by eircom in apartment buildings etc where internal copper cabling is in place and very difficult to replace.

Yep, makes loads of sense there.

If they can do GFast from small and cheap pole mounted units we could see wider use, but each dp only does 5-8 homes so the unit cost would need to be quite low. And there's a question of power unless its cpe powered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

aphex™ wrote: »
    Uk a lot more built up than Ireland so presumably has a lot more premises within 250m

250m! and I thought Eircoms current eFibre was bad enough at 1-2km but 250meters! that would only work in apartments/densely populated parts of cities. This would just not work in most locations where Eircom's Efibre is at present as it would only cover a few houses!

Gonzo wrote: »
    250m! and I thought Eircoms current eFibre was bad enough at 1-2km but 250meters! that would only work in apartments/densely populated parts of cities. This would just not work in most locations where Eircom's Efibre is at present as it would only cover a few houses!

It works differently to VDSL, the nodes are far closer to homes. And thus there are a lot more of em.

fttrn_network_diagram_v1_ispreview_edited.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »
    It works differently to VDSL, the nodes are far closer to homes. And thus there are a lot more of em.

fttrn_network_diagram_v1_ispreview_edited.gif
    But, how cheap is it to do from existing cabs for those within 250m?

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    But, how cheap is it to do from existing cabs for those within 250m?

Dont know. BT certainly thinks its economical if they're piloting it.

Its powered by GPON so the same work they have to do run fibre to each cluster of DPs could be used in future to power FTTH instead, the work isnt wasted, especially if they lay extra dark fibre for future use while theyre at it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We have talked about G.Fast and FTTDp (distribution point) a few times before.

G.Fast + FTTDp shouldn't really be thought of as an alternative to FTTH like VDSL is, rather see it as an implementation detail of FTTH.

The G.Fast vendors claim it is only between 0% and 20% cheaper then actual FTTH. Basically for easy FTTH installs, like where the fiber can be pushed through an existing duct or overhead, then G.Fast is actually be more expensive! Where G.Fast saves you money is on complicated installs where there would need to be lots of civils, digging up a driver way, etc. That is where the 20% saving comes in.

So I expect it to be used as part of a FTTH rollout, but only used when the install is difficult. As mentioned it might be ideal for apartment buildings. You have fiber into the basement and then use G.Fast on the existing copper line to each apartment. A lot cheaper then having to run new fiber to each apartment.

BTW the G.Fast node on the pole or duct is actually powered by the customers CPE's, so no need for electrical work, which makes things easier.

So it is an interesting technology and a useful tool, but not really a full alternative to FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

Is anybody having speed issues today ?

I am on the Finglas exchange and about 150 meters from the cabinet (FNG069 from memory) and normally have 100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up - today, on a LAN connected machine, download speeds are between 8 and 40 Mbps down and 8 to 20 Mbps up. Modem is syncing at the normal speeds of RX:102396/ TX:20478(Kbps) and there are no issues that I can see in the xDSL stats. I rebooted the modem but this did not help.

I'm hoping that it is a central network issue and will give eircom until Tuesday to fix it before I call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

pg17 wrote: »
    Is anybody having speed issues today ?

I am on the Finglas exchange and about 150 meters from the cabinet (FNG069 from memory) and normally have 100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up - today, on a LAN connected machine, download speeds are between 8 and 40 Mbps down and 8 to 20 Mbps up. Modem is syncing at the normal speeds of RX:102396/ TX:20478(Kbps) and there are no issues that I can see in the xDSL stats. I rebooted the modem but this did not help.

I'm hoping that it is a central network issue and will give eircom until Tuesday to fix it before I call them.

After reading markmurphy post about Avast Free anti virus, I remembered that AVG Free updated last night, did some testing and rebooted twice because of AVG. Coincidence, or not, speeds are back to 92 - 98 Mbps down and 12 - 18 Mbps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bazideluxe

pg17 wrote: »
    After reading markmurphy post about Avast Free anti virus, I remembered that AVG Free updated last night, did some testing and rebooted twice because of AVG. Coincidence, or not, speeds are back to 92 - 98 Mbps down and 12 - 18 Mbps up.

Yes, antivirus or other malware/spyware program installed on your computer can have negative impact on your internet speed. Avast is well know for these issues (not common, but there), otherwise it is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ger Byrne 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

http://www.independent.ie/business/richard-moat-the-fibre-diet-will-get-eircom-moving-again-30964828.html

Very positive article here seems Eircom are doing very well for themselves now and the future of broadband in Ireland is actually looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

The line checker said I'd only get think is was 15-17 before I ordered. Might help others.

gone from 17 meg...to 38...now on 44 !

Happys days! 750-850 Mts from cab...

Mark.

Is anyone else's speed dropping around 6pm? It's like the same crap that was happening to me in January of last year. I'm getting **** speeds right now....just started yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Nolars wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/richard-moat-the-fibre-diet-will-get-eircom-moving-again-30964828.html

Very positive article here seems Eircom are doing very well for themselves now and the future of broadband in Ireland is actually looking good.

Will believe it when I have it. Twos years of eircom delays in my area. Always 4 weeks away as far as they are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Will believe it when I have it. Twos years of eircom delays in my area. Always 4 weeks away as far as they are concerned.

Same here mate our e fiber was ment to be up and running by January but hey the old cabinet is still in place and all other cabinets around us have been replaced and up and running two years at this stage.

Is anyone else's speed dropping around 6pm? It's like the same crap that was happening to me in January of last year. I'm getting **** speeds right now....just started yesterday.

nop!

ring them!

jayo26 wrote: »
    Same here mate our e fiber was ment to be up and running by January but hey the old cabinet is still in place and all other cabinets around us have been replaced and up and running two years at this stage.

na na!!

Did I mention I LOVE my new 40 down and 12 up connection!!!! Its worth the wait...:)

jayo26 wrote: »

They dont replace the cabs, they pair them with new ones.

ED E wrote: »
    They dont replace the cabs, they pair them with new ones.

Ok I get what u mean but I still don't have efiber haha

markmurphy wrote: »
    na na!!

Did I mention I LOVE my new 40 down and 12 up connection!!!! Its worth the wait...:)

Hope u choke on it hahaha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

How long after an area goes live is it before the entire area is 100% live?

I'm in arklow and cabinets went in to my estate at least 18 months ago I think. Arklow has been live for some time now but I still eircom has no date for my estate.

How long is a piece of string?

Areas are irrelevant with FTTC, other cabs in the area have very little effect on the progression of "your" cab. As long as theres a fibre distribution rack in the exchange they can do them in any order they like.

If many cabs are done but yours hasnt been it *could* indicate yours is a problem cab. Issues getting a civil licence or somebody objected to them placing a new unit outside their garden. No way to know why, eircom sure as hell wont tell you, just gotta keep an eye on the wholesale map for a date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Just looking at the fibre rollout site and it shows the two cabs in my estate as live. Yet when I put my number in the line checker or ask eircom they tell me it's not available but no expected date of going live.

• Advertisement

Sounds like direct fed. *sad violin*

(Search this sub for an explanation)

Advertisement