Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

my area, although in the top 50 exchanges line wise, isn't planned at all, something about UPC already holding a majority in the area ...

can't get UPC either (well phone and internet) lol

re: the price and eircom Vs UPC regulatory argument

although it seems like that Eircom are wanting UPC to higher their prices, it's not only that, that comes under being regulated, Eircom's infrastructure costs a lot more to maintain than all of UPC's, rural areas even for basic POTS is the main money drainer...

but the main thing is how the network is rolled out, underground lead or drop wire is how Eircom are regulated to do it, whereas UPC can roll out an estate in a day or two using their methods... if someone doesnt want anything on or going across their house, everyone loses out then from that house on, whereas Eircom would have to put in poles, civils work etc... to offer the same services to everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

arctan wrote: »

re: the price and eircom Vs UPC regulatory argument

although it seems like that Eircom are wanting UPC to higher their prices, it's not only that, that comes under being regulated, Eircom's infrastructure costs a lot more to maintain than all of UPC's, rural areas even for basic POTS is the main money drainer...

but the main thing is how the network is rolled out, underground lead or drop wire is how Eircom are regulated to do it, whereas UPC can roll out an estate in a day or two using their methods... if someone doesnt want anything on or going across their house, everyone loses out then from that house on, whereas Eircom would have to put in poles, civils work etc... to offer the same services to everyone

There should be an incentive for universality and eircom have more and better established 'rights of way' than UPC do and are closer to universal provision. This also requires legal changes or a more modern restatement of the easements that eircom already have since they were Her Majestys Telegraphs in the 19th centuy.

The price incentives should not apply in areas where there is no universal provision, merely cherry picking. My 2c anyway. UPC do not do business districts and often leave large islands on grotty cable with no internet in areas they do service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I got speaking to the eircom guys working in castlebar today.

They are as I suspected working on the fibre.

They were telling me that all the work in Ballina is complete, Castlebar is almost finished and once it is they are starting on Westport.

Some of the estates here already had fibre running to the cabinets, the cabs that did not have another smaller cabinet next to them, feeding fibre to the copper lines.

They didn't have any idea about when it would be available to the customer.

Still, its happening. It's about time.
    if you get the chance to talk to them again. Can you ask them if manor village estate is getting fibre. The were working on the Westport rd but didn't seem to get a far as manor village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

arctan wrote: »

That's an argument for lesser regulation on eircom rather than regulating UPC with the aim of forcing them to increase prices so eircom can "compete".

Also the technology used has a huge bearing on the costs, HFC is always cheaper to roll out and much more reliable too. Furthermore it's only in the last 100 metres where there is any real difference in infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

bealtine wrote: »
    Well my reading of it is we can't compete so please regulate UPC (and therefore make them raise their prices) so as to allow us to "compete" we need to lower our prices in areas where UPC are murdering us and those silly country people can pay for this "competition" by subsidizing it with their higher prices.

Retarded if you ask me...
    My reading of the document, was that Eircom were not asking UPC to increase, but to allow Eircom to reduce their prices in any LEA, and ESPECIALLY in any area that borders a LEA.

ALTO et al were concerned that such pricing flexibility would give Eircom Retail too much of an advantage in those areas against other providers.

Of course the definition of a LEA was certainly one that opinions differed. Be it an exchange where UPC supplies phone lines to customers, where there are more than 4,000 lines, where UPC and/or LLU exist.

I must say that the language/sentence structure used by BT Ireland suggested to me that they have little or no confidence in Comreg. They believe this was coming at the wrong time, UPC have still only 32% of the phoneline business, and Comreg need to wait and provide a more detailed analysis of the whole market. In fact, if you do nothing else, just read the submission from BT Ireland. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

This is NOT a fibre to the home rollout, it's a fibre to the cabinet rollout so yes distance from the local cabinet will still be an issue.

Then this shouldn't be an issue, since I would assume that his cabinet is nearer than the exchange anyway.

Paul Bradley of eircom on the Last Word shortly before 6 today. He hopes eircom will be finished with their discussions with the regulator and industry by 'the end of the year' and therefore in a position to launch fibre ...obviously 'after the end of the year'.

They intend to 'pass 500k homes by June and pass 700k homes by end 2013' he said ( with fibre based products)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Paul Bradley of eircom on the Last Word shortly before 6 today. He hopes eircom will be finished with their discussions with the regulator and industry by 'the end of the year' and therefore in a position to launch fibre ...obviously 'after the end of the year'.

They intend to 'pass 500k homes by June and pass 700k homes by end 2013' he said ( with fibre based products)
    Speaking of homes passed, from page 39 of 82 of that report Sponge Bob, this was interesting
    Sky plans to enter the Irish broadband market using BT’s LLU platform. According to published reports, Sky intends to “unveil its phone and
    broadband service later this year” and plans to make the service available to 1.6 million homes".
    This means that in most areas where BT uses LLU, there will be at least two major service providers (Sky and Vodafone) offering retail broadband services and bundles using alternative network operator rather than eircom as their wholesale provider.
    The Sky-BT transaction represents a seismic shift in the competitive landscape and calls for a fundamental rethink of ComReg’s bundling proposal, including in terms of the assumptions.

Seeings as there are only 1.7m occupied homes and eircom passes around 1.6m of them eircom are claiming that their resellers will victimise them ..in effect. :) Nearly as crazy as their "across the fence" pricing pressure argument. LLU does not even reach 1m homes.

Sure by that logic a Sky satellite 22k miles up above the equator will pressurise their IPTV platform across the same fence. :D

Sky and Voda do not provide platform competition, only branding and bundling competition. UPC do provide platform competition but as eircom have differentiated themselves by launching mobile bundles UPC have a bit of a getout on that one now.

Bradley won't see them out of the regulatory trenches by christmas I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Has Eircom released how much they will be charging for fiber to the home?
    Would there be any point leaving UPC?

• Advertisement

irishguy wrote: »
    Has Eircom released how much they will be charging for fiber to the home?
    Would there be any point leaving UPC?

http://business.eircom.net/fibre-broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Will this be the same for home users? As they still aren't competing with UPC any they are offering higher speeds at less price. Good for people wo can't get UPC

irishguy wrote: »
    Will this be the same for home users? As they still aren't competing with UPC any they are offering higher speeds at less price. Good for people wo can't get UPC

Hard to know but I'd say so...anyway the pricing is only valid in Wexford town and a little bit of Sandyford and nowhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

the page has been removed. Is an announcement coming soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Well my reading of it is we can't compete so please regulate UPC (and therefore make them raise their prices) so as to allow us to "compete" we need to lower our prices in areas where UPC are murdering us and those silly country people can pay for this "competition" by subsidizing it with their higher prices.

Retarded if you ask me...

Kinda like asking Tesco to up their prices to corner shop levels..............

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

I've been reading up on this a bit and I'm wondering if Eircom are actually going to do FTTH or if they following in the steps of UPC and going to call their FTTC product a "fiber" product...

Some reading:

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/downloads/programme_overview/industry_overview.pdf
    http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/downloads/nga_pilot_documentation/technical_handbook.pdf

From reading the Overview it appears they have been trialling 2 different profiles. FTTH (Fiber to the home) and VDSL (which basically makes use of the copper pair between your house and the cabinet in the street to provide very high speed DSL (it's a short run before you hit fiber rather than kms today - looks like they are aiming for "up to 50mbps" with the VDSL deployment).

How is this going to pan out in the long run?? What are UPC, Eircom, etc going to call their products when they are actually running fiber everywhere (assuming Eircom mostly go with VDSL and FTTC with this rollout)??

Less than 100k premises will have a fibre tail and there are over 2m premises in ireland, say 2.2m inc homes business and empty houses etc.

Perhaps 1m will be within 1km of a fibred serviced node that launches VDSL or HFC.

The Esb may do another few 100k premises with a fibre only product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

gordonnet wrote: »
    the page has been removed. Is an announcement coming soon ?
    if you search "fibre" on the eircom website the first link is to upc lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

UPC's current offering is 'fibre to the cabinet/curb" FTTC. Eircom's VDSL produce is also a form of FTTC.

The big difference however, compared to a phone company's VDSL over a copper pair to your house, is that a cable company like UPC have a very high bandwidth, shielded, coaxial cable running to your house instead.

Cable television networks are by their nature broadband networks to begin with as they were always designed to carry multiple analogue television channels which required a lot of bandwidth to do.

Their network can already comfortably deliver 150mbit/s and can in theory deliver a lot more and that's only with EuroDOCSIS 3.0... further speed will enevitably be squeezed out as that standard evolves.

VDSL is limited because the medium it connects over i.e. the phone line entering your house has a finite bandwidth and it's not shielded. So, no matter what eircom do, unless they run actual fibre-to-home or rollout a coaxial cable network to cover the last mile, they can't really beat UPC on speed as they just do not have the infrastructure in place to do it.

The use of the term 'fibre powered' is meaningless - Every telecommunications service since the mid 1980s is ultimately fibre powered. Dial up internet using a modem could be described as fibre powered as the exchanges are quite likely fibre-connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harrys

Correct Solair.

The endgame is fibre all the way to the home. Fortunes win be won and lost doing it. Then the limiting factor is the ability of the brain to process information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

just thought id share, kn are layin cable today in balrothery, the one near balbriggan (not the other 2 that are estates and think there towns)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

kaahooters wrote: »
    just thought id share, kn are layin cable today in balrothery, the one near balbriggan (not the other 2 that are estates and think there towns)

Excellent, thanks.

Shantalla in Galway well under way too. Mervue done.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I think my area might be getting fibre. About 3 or 4 weeks ago there was a white van at the front of the estate for a day or two and they installed a new green box next to the existing one. It's about a metre wide, 1.5 metres high and about .5 metres deep. Eircom van was there a few times since. Fingers crossed it is fibre. From what I'm reading here it seems to be. I've no idea what exchange I'm connected to so can't confirm from the list that was published.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Any update on rush? just seeing this thread forgive me if it's discussed already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

to work out your exchange use this link, then click on the map then it gives you a few boxes to tick so tick a few and you will see the map getting populated. Then you can drag map and zoom in, an orange line designates the exchange. That way you should be able to find your exchange and even work out how far you are from it.

and those green cabinets

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-coremean fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    to work out your exchange use this link, then click on the map then it gives you a few boxes to tick so tick a few and you will see the map getting populated. Then you can drag map and zoom in, an orange line designates the exchange. That way you should be able to find your exchange and even work out how far you are from it.

and those green cabinets mean fibre.

Thanks for the reply GB. Can you put up the link again? Hasn't linked in the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Fibre has been laid in rush I think they are doing quicker to get around the issue with the inter connector

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

What issue was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

Advertisement