Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I've been wondering this too. My family's DSL connection was limited to 1 mb by eircom even though it could do more. It took moving to an LLU provider and a few emails before I got the 3 mbps the line could handle. It's been working perfectly since, even when I set the modem to use ADSL only. No doubt a FTTC cabinet will be installed nearer, only to be told the same crap we were told for years:rolleyes:

Are you on the 8Mb bundle?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Wambo wrote: »
    Did they tell you the download speeds you'll be getting or anything?

25 meg first

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

red_bairn wrote: »
    Are you on the 8Mb bundle?
    They're on whatever Vodafone's up to 8 mb package is I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

red_bairn wrote: »
    Did they say they'd put in a cabinet between the exchange and your home?

I'm about 650 - 700m from the cabinet and we get 6 of 8MB (75%). Here is a guide that you could roughly go by:

http://www.linebroker.co.uk/fttc-tech.php

Here's a better speed guide:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

Yeah, I saw that but it didn't make much sense to me in relation to my current broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Hi Guys,

Can I use third party routers with fiber? Do I need PPPoE credentials?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭irishgeo

domeld wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Can I use third party routers with fiber? Do I need PPPoE credentials?

no idea but if only FTTC so i cant see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

In my scenario this will be FTTH but eircom will supply converter from fiber to cat5/6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'm in Phase 3, which they say is April 2013. How realistic is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

You need to clarify what you mean by April 2013!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

As in they plan to roll out fibre in my exchange in April 2013. Have they been on-time thus far with other exchanges?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

no, ennis was december 2012 and still not done. we are all waiting and waiting...... They are still hunched around cabinets in ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    no, ennis was december 2012 and still not done. we are all waiting and waiting...... They are still hunched around cabinets in ennis.

Belcamp was scheduled for December 2012 and today I saw Eircom working on several cabinets. So it's definitely not complete. Eircom are definitely behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Praetorian wrote: »
    Belcamp was scheduled for December 2012 and today I saw Eircom working on several cabinets. So it's definitely not complete. Eircom are definitely behind schedule.

But why the hell they do not enable exchanges from phase 1 and phase 2 which are ready? What is the purpose for the wait? If they would advertise and enable now, they could save a possible few hundreds or thousand existing customer who switch to UPC in these months. If they would advertise it now, the customers may would wait additional 2-3 months instead of moving to UPC or to somewhere else.

That is the most stupid sales policy I have ever seen! I heard a VDSL cab costs about 50k, so a town is over half a million, a city is more. They have already spent millions on that and for nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

chriss745 wrote: »
    But why the hell they do not enable exchanges from phase 1 and phase 2 which are ready? What is the purpose for the wait? If they would advertise and enable now, they could save a possible few hundreds or thousand existing customer who switch to UPC in these months. If they would advertise it now, the customers may would wait additional 2-3 months instead of moving to UPC or to somewhere else.

That is the most stupid sales policy I have ever seen! I heard a VDSL cab costs about 50k, so a town is over half a million, a city is more. They have already spent millions on that and for nothing?

You're absolutely correct. Amazing short-sightedness from Eircom. By the time they commission phase 3, phase 1 & 2 will be in mothballs.:(. You would think they'd go hell for leather at it in an effort to curb Sky & UPC's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

@Kristopherus @chriss745

As mentioned in the thread several times, there are regulatory concerns preventing them launching the services. There was also mention of them not having the systems in place for the resellers of the services (for the likes of sky / voda / imagine etc).

I'm sure they would have liked to launch by now, they aren't holding back for the craic.

There will be an inevitable media blitz when it does launch and they will want to be able to advertise that it is available to a good percentage of the country, not just phase 1 (that wouldn't go down well).

I’m sure they will launch when regulatory matters are sorted and all systems are in place, and also when one more of the phases are complete, phase 2 or 3I reckon.

My home is in phase 3 myself, but I would still like to see a launch ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

They're waaaaay ahead in Arklow, they've put a few of the cabinets down and are routing fibre around now. Arklow is phase 4 (Dec 2013).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Terence2727

Can anybody tell me when eircom are going to enable the exchange in Allenwood for broadband, I'm in a new estate . There are houses that have broadband all the way from the robertowns exchange, it's very slow .5-1 mb if lucky. Allenwood is in Kildare for those who don't know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harrys

Doesn't look like you're in luck

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

@Kristopherus @chriss745

As mentioned in the thread several times, there are regulatory concerns preventing them launching the services. There was also mention of them not having the systems in place for the resellers of the services (for the likes of sky / voda / imagine etc).

I'm sure they would have liked to launch by now, they aren't holding back for the craic.

There will be an inevitable media blitz when it does launch and they will want to be able to advertise that it is available to a good percentage of the country, not just phase 1 (that wouldn't go down well).

I’m sure they will launch when regulatory matters are sorted and all systems are in place, and also when one more of the phases are complete, phase 2 or 3I reckon.

My home is in phase 3 myself, but I would still like to see a launch ASAP.

They are planning this VDSL upgrade since mid of 2011. One and a half year wasn't enough to sort out the paperwork?! They had a pilot in 2012 summer where they tested the physical infrastructure and the wholesale system also. It worked, so what else they need now?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Ireland simply cannot afford these regulatory hold ups and disputes.

History so far:

ADSL launched very late. (See : http://siliconrepublic.com/strategy/item/78-eircom-dithers-on-dsl for example) from 2003!
    VDSL launched very late. (Still not available, yet it has been rolled out for several years in other markets!)
    Local Loop Unbundling - Feet were dragged and it was years before it made any impact and has made much less impact than in comparable markets.

It's all about weak, inadequately legally resourced regulation. ComReg has had a long history of having no teeth.

It's no joke, this stuff costs Ireland jobs and money.

For every late launch or inadequate / antiquated broadband product hold up, it means Irish consumers aren't using online services and are not causing Irish companies to grow/develop and it puts small/medium businesses and the self-employed at serious disadvantage to their compeditors even in the country next-door i.e. the UK, and that's not even somewhere with world-beating broadband products, it's quite mediocre.

So my area isn't mentioned, so where does it come from ? There's a lot of people that want it up here ,are sky suppose to be doing it soon

So my area isn't mentioned, so where does it come from ? There's a lot of people that want it up here ,are sky suppose to be doing it soon

They are doing up Clane, Kildare durign Phase 5. that seems to be the closest to you. If none of the facilities in Kildare are near you, then you might be waiting for a very long time.

They mentioned prosperous and Robertstown which are a five minute drive away exactly ,clane is a ten minute drive. given that im that distance away ,am i likely to get a good speed being that distance away.

They mentioned prosperous and Robertstown which are a five minute drive away exactly ,clane is a ten minute drive. given that im that distance away ,am i likely to get a good speed being that distance away.

If they connect up with exchanges there you could see improvements, but quite small I think.

If you are on an exchange thats already been upgraded its possible for them to connect you up. Im getting FTTC in a couple of weeks.
    I really went mad on the phone to them about how bad my broadband was and would not let up.
    Eventually they decided to give me FTTC at 25Mb even though they are not selling it yet.
    If you have bad broadband from Eircom and are on an exchange that is already upgradedc, eg Swords then call them and complain loudly about what you have. Do not take no for an answer and you will get FTTC before the product is on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

MMAGirl wrote: »
    If you are on an exchange thats already been upgraded its possible for them to connect you up. Im getting FTTC in a couple of weeks.
    I really went mad on the phone to them about how bad my broadband was and would not let up.
    Eventually they decided to give me FTTC at 25Mb even though they are not selling it yet.
    If you have bad broadband from Eircom and are on an exchange that is already upgradedc, eg Swords then call them and complain loudly about what you have. Do not take no for an answer and you will get FTTC before the product is on sale.

Did you threaten them by saying you'll use mixed martial arts techniques on them?

Did you threaten them by saying you'll mixed martial arts techniques on them?

I was with Vodafone and the BB went rubbish (well more rubbish i shoud say). I found out from an Eircom engineer that the cause was actually the FTTC upgrade and vodafone could do nothing, though this was being kept on the hush hush.
    I phoned Eircom and told them what I knew and they eventually said that if I went back to Eircom speeds would be back to 1Mb.
    So I went back and speeds didnt improve. I went ballistic and told them I had recorded the calls where they told me all would be well if I went back to Eircom and that I was going to send them to the papers. I probably told them I was going to take a hit out on them too :) . I was really annoyed at them.
    Then I got to talk to a more senior person and they made the deal with me.

Because I had such bad broadband they would connect me to the FTTC trial since the Swords exchange was already ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Wambo

My exchange is ready I might give them a ring for the 100th time. They'll probably just keep giving me the run around as always though :(

• Advertisement

Wambo wrote: »
    My exchange is ready I might give them a ring for the 100th time. They'll probably just keep giving me the run around as always though :(

Keep pestering them. They'll problem give some information from the pressure of all the calls. :P

Advertisement