Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Solair wrote: »
    Yeah, I still think UPCs coverage, even in urban areas is a bit of a joke.

We're literally 2km from central Cork and our area is totally uncabled because Cork Multichannel skipped it in the 80s.

It's nuts that new build housing estates from the 2000s in Cork often aren't on the cable network too.

They really need to be given a requirement to pass 99% of homes in licensed areas.

All the new buildings that went up around me in Korea had FTTH cabling built in straight away (or the piping where the cabling is fed through).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

chriss745 wrote: »
    My problem is that the whole housing estate is ducted. Why the hell UPC is not coming to the housing estate to have 1-200 new customers?

You need to approach UPC and tell them they can access the ducts. Easy if the estate has a management company which OWNS the ducts and can assign a wayleave ( right of access)

UPC won't dig but they do retrofit. Go to the UPC forum and get the networks email address > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546 and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You need to approach UPC and tell them they can access the ducts. Easy if the estate has a management company which OWNS the ducts and can assign a wayleave ( right of access)

UPC won't dig but they do retrofit. Go to the UPC forum and get the networks email address > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546 and good luck.

Why don't UPC send representatives around to housing estates and ask them do they want their service? It would certainly generate a debate amongst the neighbours, even a few heated ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My own estate has no UPC but we are literally surrounded by UPC powered estates. ~300 houses but they still won't do anything. As far as I'm concerned it's an opportunity lost for them, as people will be happy with FTTC based products. At a senior level they promised they would get back to me either way, but didn't.

Quite unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Praetorian wrote: »
    My own estate has no UPC but we are literally surrounded by UPC powered estates. ~300 houses but they still won't do anything. As far as I'm concerned it's an opportunity lost for them, as people will be happy with FTTC based products. At a senior level they promised they would get back to me either way, but didn't.

Quite unprofessional.

Thats UPC for you :rolleyes:
    Im in a worse situation. We are in a small estate with about 25 houses. THe house next door to us (which is about 15m away) can get UPC, but we cant. Its ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I was on the phone to a mate, who is living out in Drogheda, and he said that he's on fibre with Eircom. So have they gone live in some areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

red_bairn wrote: »
    I was on the phone to a mate, who is living out in Drogheda, and he said that he's on fibre with Eircom. So have they gone live in some areas?
    Your mate is quite mistaken, unless he's on the special pre-launch trial. Usually staff are the ones signed up to that, going by eircom's past record. What speed is he getting?

Your mate is quite mistaken, unless he's on the special pre-launch trial. Usually staff are the ones signed up to that, going by eircom's past record. What speed is he getting?

I've asked him to do a speedtest later on and I'll post it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

get him to tell you the cost and the speed?

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    get him to tell you the cost and the speed?

Sometimes up with his set up. He's get 0.19 and paying 40 euro without a phone line. :rolleyes: He's busy tonight but I might need to hook up VNC with him.

• Advertisement

Another package of the regulatory soup appeared today.

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/price_regulation_of_bundled_offers.583.104300.p.html

All the trouble the avoided last week seems to have appeared again this week, I fear for the launch of FTTx this year I do. :)

Just to give ye an idea of the trouble and help ye avoid reading it.
    4.91 Indicatively for criterion 2, ComReg considers that as part of its determination (as described in paragraph 4.88) whether an exchange should be included in the LEA, that LS as a percentage of broadband customers on Eircom‘s DSL platform should at least be ca. 20%. As LS is provided over Eircom‘s DSL platform it ensures that at least ca. 20% of all customers that have fixed-broadband are with an OAO. Based on the results of the LEA (see paragraphs 4.103-4.114) in those exchanges qualifying under criterion 2 is above the indicative level, meaning that a large proportion of all broadband customers in those exchanges are customers of an OAO.
    4.92 In particular, criterion 3 seeks to provide Eircom with appropriate flexibility in those exchanges where it is likely that AIP (i.e., currently UPC) has a significant presence. Assuming a reasonable national average broadband penetration of 60% in exchanges, this criterion provides that for an Eircom exchange to be included in the LEA its DSL market share is 33% or less (i.e., Eircom wholesale supports broadband to fewer than 20% of the premises served in that exchange).
    4.93 Indicatively for criterion 3, ComReg considers that as part of its determination (as described in paragraph 4.88) whether an exchange should be included in the LEA, in addition to that outlined in paragraph 4.92, that the market share of the AIP (currently only UPC) as a percentage of all broadband customers in that exchange should be at least ca. 25% - 30%. As RFNA is typically sold / offered with broadband by Eircom (which would constitute a bundle) this criterion provides that at least ca. 25% - 30% of all customers that have fixed or high-speed broadband are with an OAO. At present, this criterion only applies to the presence of UPC providing retail telecommunications services in that exchange area. In the future, similar to criterion 1, where there is an alternative AIP in addition to UPC (or another AIP) that market share will be the minimum combined market share. Where there is only UPC or just an AIP, ComReg considers that it is appropriate that the minimum market share that the OAO would have is ca. 25% - 30%, so as not to provide Eircom undue pricing flexibility in exchanges where the competitive pressure from OAOs is only relatively nascent. Based on the results of the LEA (see paragraphs 4.103-4.114) in those exchanges qualifying under criterion 3 the average market share is significantly above the minimum indicative level.

<cough>

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

GIMickey wrote: »
    Over the past few days i have seen KN Networks working in Letterkenny, they are laying down more orange cable. I thought Letterkenny was complete.

What is probally happening is Phase 2 up there.
    All existing cabinets have been completed so Eircom are now consentrating on
    all the Lines that are fed direct from the exchange out to the subscribers premises. This means putting up double cabinets,ie copper and Fibre.

All people - even if you live 5 mile out from an exchange will have a cabinet
    positioned at a point where the underground network meets the overhead.

For example in Sligo , Rathcormac which is about 4 mile from the local exchange has just had a fibre cabinet installed beside the existing Copper one. This will provide speeds to people down there that were only getting aroung 1 mg.

Now 50% of people down towards Drumcliff, Rosses point areas are fed on direct lines which is close to this cab will find that where ever the underground network ends they will find double cabinets appearing fairly soon.

As far as i know everyone in an exchange area have to be treated equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Another package of the regulatory soup appeared today.

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/price_regulation_of_bundled_offers.583.104300.p.html

All the trouble the avoided last week seems to have appeared again this week, I fear for the launch of FTTx this year I do. :)

Just to give ye an idea of the trouble and help ye avoid reading it.

<cough>

Is that English or Gobbledegook?:confused::mad::eek:

Is that English or Gobbledegook?:confused::mad::eek:

No it is Comreg tying themselves in knots. I reckon UPC will be off to the High Court after that lot which = more delays.

I must have a look to see whether eircom are deploying cabs out the country near Galway. Long rural lines there too off Shantalla and Mervue.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

KN Networks are in Letterkenny, just sitting at the same cabinet for the last 4 days, dont no if there he's there today (Saturday). The engineer is just sitting on a chair at the cabinet connecting cables for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

KN Networks are in Letterkenny, just sitting at the same cabinet for the last 4 days, dont no if there he's there today (Saturday). The engineer is just sitting on a chair at the cabinet connecting cables for days.
    They were at that cabinet several times before. Same crack as the one up at the Hospital roundaout. I thought all the ground work was complete in Letterkenny. We'll get it when eircom are good and ready to give it - and that won't be anytime soon:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harrys

Sure creep up behind him and give him a boot up the arse. Tell him you're fed up with it.

I did a survey around a my area and found only one cabinet in my area (they had to dig a large trench across the road to install it for whatever reason). This cabinet is only about 150 metres from my house as the crow flies, but over 1km via the road network :(

See attached photo. How many lines can these cabinets serve? Perhaps Balbriggan isn't finished yet, but the density of cabinets seems very low. There are plenty of original eircom cabinets around, with no new cabs installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Praetorian wrote: »
    I did a survey around a my area and found only one cabinet in my area (they had to dig a large trench across the road to install it for whatever reason). This cabinet is only about 150 metres from my house as the crow flies, but over 1km via the road network :(

See attached photo. How many lines can these cabinets serve? Perhaps Balbriggan isn't finished yet, but the density of cabinets seems very low. There are plenty of original eircom cabinets around, with no new cabs installed.

How did you measure or figure out your line is over 1 km from your home? Mine's about 250 - 350 meters according to Google maps. I'd love to know how long the line is.

How did you measure or figure out your line is over 1 km from your home? Mine's about 250 - 350 meters according to Google maps. I'd love to know how long the line is.

I used a mapping program and measured the road distance.

I hope that my line it's actually shorter, and that the cables go underneath a nearby green. But I would say the chances are low, as there is ducting throughout my estate that seems to originate at the furthest away point. I'll only know for sure when the FTTC goes live, and I can see my stats.

The only other way to find out is if you grab an Eircom man who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I'm in Ennis town centre, Parnell street to people who know it, and 450m from the Drumbiggle exchange according to Google Maps, probably about 400m as the crow flies. What max speeds dl/ul could I get with fibre? I currently have next gen ultimate at €70/m which should be 24Mb but I was told to downgrade to 14Mb to fix connection drops, which it has in fairness. It's a reliable 12-14Mb now for me which is grand but the upload is never over 1Mb. I could seriously make business use of a relibable 8Mb upload.

I read the last 5 pages but can't see if anyone from Dundrum,Priory Park,Sandyford or Wexford actually got the fibre? What are you getting on speedtest?

I'm in Ennis town centre, Parnell street to people who know it, and 450m from the Drumbiggle exchange according to Google Maps, probably about 400m as the crow flies. What max speeds dl/ul could I get with fibre? I currently have next gen ultimate at €70/m which should be 24Mb but I was told to downgrade to 14Mb to fix connection drops, which it has in fairness. It's a reliable 12-14Mb now for me which is grand but the upload is never over 1Mb. I could seriously make business use of a relibable 8Mb upload.

I read the last 5 pages but can't see if anyone from Dundrum,Priory Park,Sandyford or Wexford actually got the fibre? What are you getting on speedtest?

http://www.buckconsult.co.uk/fttx/graphvdsl2.png

As per graph above you should get very good speeds.

I'm in the same sort of position with my adsl. I'm on a 12 m/bit down 1 m/bit up package. My line can do 15m/bit down. But from the looks of things. I may only get 30m/bit with fttc :(

Speed should improve when Eircom get vectoring up and running.

There are surprisingly few speedtests with people confirming Eircom FTTC & FTTH speeds. One would think the pilots must have been very limited. Or else the people on those connections are experiencing data bliss, and they are just not bothered to let the rest of us know :)

I think very few people have actually got eircom fibre and thats the reason no reports on speed, eircom may say its available at those pilot sites but if no one asks for it I dont think eircom will push it.

and we will never know actual speeds until its fully rolled out, I would say we could be a year away still.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Trial/

Operators are reminded that the trial of Wholesale NGA services commences from today February 11th 2013.

NGA services can be trialled in up to 4 exchanges in 10 locations nationwide, at any time from today for an eight week period.

The trial will run up to the planned launch date of Wholesale NGA services on 8th April 2013.

eircom Wholesale is providing participating Operators with free connection, migration, rental and usage for our NGA POTS Based and Standalone products (excluding the WLR element). In order to conduct the trial successfully one WEIL will be sufficient.

If Operators have any difficulty in respect of modems or any other equipment for use in the trial phase you can contact your account manager and we will endeavour to resolve any issues you may have.

well I have heard nothing or seen nothing about a trial, why wont eircom trial it themselves? What does 4 exchanges in 10 locations mean?

I find that announcement very very confusing.

who is the trial offered to? ie domestic or business?

an a word " weird"

Operators are reminded that the trial of Wholesale NGA services commences from today February 11th 2013.
    NGA services can be trialled in up to 4 exchanges in 10 locations
    GBCULLEN wrote: »
    well I have heard nothing or seen nothing about a trial, why wont eircom trial it themselves? What does 4 exchanges in 10 locations mean?

I find that announcement very very confusing.

who is the trial offered to? ie domestic or business?

an a word " weird"

Read the bold bit. :rolleyes:

ttp://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Trial/

NGA services can be trialled in up to 4 exchanges in 10 locations nationwide, at any time from today for an eight week period.

These are

Ballyboden
    ENNIS ( wahoo yiz are live :) )
    Douglas
    Clonee

It is 4 exchanges in 4 locations lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

So anyone in these locations try out for this trail. Considering it started yesterday???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Will Carlow town ever get fibre broadband? Hopefully it is coming soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Wambo

These are

Ballyboden
    ENNIS ( wahoo yiz are live :) )
    Douglas
    Clonee

It is 4 exchanges in 4 locations lads. :)
    Are you sure its in ennis? I couldn't find ennis on the phase 1 list

Advertisement