Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    These are

Ballyboden
    ENNIS ( wahoo yiz are live :) )
    Douglas
    Clonee

It is 4 exchanges in 4 locations lads. :)
    Wambo wrote: »
    Are you sure its in ennis? I couldn't find ennis on the phase 1 list

Yeah. Where did you find this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Ennis was on the Phase II list but was supposed to be completed last December.
    http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/eircom-Fibre-Broadband/m-p/19450

Is there any way of registering to get in on one of the trials?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

exactly my thoughts, and how can you have a trial with no prices!!! and can I just say this has me flummoxed, cant make head nor tail of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    exactly my thoughts, and how can you have a trial with no prices!!! and can I just say this has me flummoxed, cant make head nor tail of it!!
    The trial is for third-party DSL resellers only, so that Vodafone/Magnet/Sky etc. can test their equipment and make sure it works with Eircom's setup. These resellers will probably not be doing anything that involves members of the public given the short timescale.

As far as prices go, you can see the prices that Eircom propose to charge resellers here. However:
    1. these prices have not been approved by Comreg yet
    2. these are wholesale prices and so they are a lot lower than the price consumers will end up paying

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Is there anyone in Eircom that would be able to tell me if my estate is on the Phase II roll out? Drogheda is on the roll out but so far I haven't seen any new Cab installed on my estate (no idea where the old one is either) so would like to have some idea that when it goes live here that we will be able to get it. If there's a chance Sky using BT's network could possibly be better than my current 1.2Mbits I would move but not if it means Eircom roll out Fibre and I could get it and then miss out. I rang Broadband Sales but they are about as useful as t*ts on a boar :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

LFCFan wrote: »
    Is there anyone in Eircom that would be able to tell me if my estate is on the Phase II roll out? Drogheda is on the roll out but so far I haven't seen any new Cab installed on my estate (no idea where the old one is either) so would like to have some idea that when it goes live here that we will be able to get it. If there's a chance Sky using BT's network could possibly be better than my current 1.2Mbits I would move but not if it means Eircom roll out Fibre and I could get it and then miss out. I rang Broadband Sales but they are about as useful as t*ts on a boar :mad:

if your in drogheda then you should be getting it come the summer. Most of the fibre is all laid and I believe they just need to upgrade the cabinets which is where the delay is as well as the providers bing able to test the lines and get all their paperwork and houses in order to be able to process all the new customers they will be getting.

The infrastructure team is non customer facing so calling eircom generally wont help. I understand that we can expect up to 70mb!! although this will very depending on your distance from the cabinet which could shave 1-10mb off this not counting sub standard equipment by users and further signal loss.

I'd be happy with 10-15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Lantus wrote: »

The infrastructure team is non customer facing so calling eircom generally wont help. I understand that we can expect up to 70mb!! although this will very depending on your distance from the cabinet which could shave 1-10mb off this not counting sub standard equipment by users and further signal loss.

I'd be happy with 10-15.

With 'vectoring' switched on (suppressing crosstalk on the copper network) they can deliver up to 100mbit/s in ideal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭irishgeo

red_bairn wrote: »

jesus , i doubt you get that speed if you lived in the eircom exchange in ireland:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

The problem is Sky and Eircom know they make lot of money with DSL and because of this are resisting upgrading their networks in rural areas.

DSL is the problem. I don't entirely buy Eircom excuse of not investing, is purely down to costs and not enough people living in one area to be worth their time.

Eircom makes too much money from DSL and i truly believe this is reason they move so slow to upgrade to fibre.

Internet is never going away and people from all walks of life need it. So investment will always have a return no matter were you live.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    jesus , i doubt you get that speed if you lived in the eircom exchange in ireland:D

We have about 4 million people living in this country. 40 per cent of our population use DSL or Mobile ( Wireless)

DSL was first used in the 90's it now 2013 and we are still using it most rural areas and in some areas of our cities.

This how backward we are compared to rest of the world we still using 23 year old technology to supply the internet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We have about 4 million people living in this country. 40 per cent of our population use DSL or Mobile ( Wireless)

DSL was first used in the 90's it now 2013 and we are still using it most rural areas and in some areas of our cities.

This how backward we are compared to rest of the world we still using 23 year old technology to supply the internet.

Loads of countries still use DSL for broadband, I'd rather have a decent DSL connection over mobile broadband.

DSL is actually over 30 years old. :s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Can you give a few examples of countries where rural areas are supplied to a different superior technology?

Loads of countries still use DSL for broadband, I'd rather have a decent DSL connection over mobile broadband.

Obviously DSL is slightly better than mobile at the moment. That could change with '4G' arrival in the next few months ( with urban locations likely benefiting from this new so called technology!)

Holland is a country inside the EU, has a similar population and their broadband providers, provide fibre to the home to both rural and urban users.

Why haven't we done the same? Whats holding us back?

The main supplier of ADSL is (eircom) likely culprit.

1 Eircom makes large amounts of money from DSL, as a result currently they've got got no incentives to switch over to better technology- with fibre been the best standard today .

If Eircom moved away from ASDL, these new products would be offered at a much lower cost to ADSL - Therefore a lose of revenue for Eircom instantly. My point is why are they still so slow to move beyond ASDL?

The future would have been very different for urban areas if UPC did not come here (remember that) and still Eircom are slow moving even in urban areas!

2 Eircom is broke from asset stripping and bad management piled on the debt. That unfortunately doesn't help people living in rural areas who love to see a future were they'll have better internet in their homes.

Eircom, was unable to manage its affairs (we all get that) but why those Comreg and the Irish government still sit on the side lines and do nothing about it ( when clearly history shows they've not delivered for irish people)

DSL is actually over 30 years old. :s

Home users only started using it beyond 1989 and yes patents were filled in the 80s and stuff but it wasn't been used in commercial sense by anyone.

Can you give a few examples of countries where rural areas are supplied to a different superior technology?

Theres a host of countries in the west were you can get fibre if you traveled into the countryside.

Problem with Eircom, its all about here and now for them (no looking ahead), and their bottom line always is how much money will i get in return for this product and service..

Fibre is likely to be with us for another 20 years so there is no viable reason why rural areas can not have fibre.

It would be sound business in fact but you'll get a return eventually. But Eircom and UPC too just want quick returns

Home users only started using it beyond 1989 and yes patents were filled in the 80s and stuff but it wasn't been used in commercial sense by anyone.

Yeah, but the technology isn't 23 yrs old.

Yeah, but the technology isn't 23 yrs old.

ADSL technology is what you will find inside Eircoms DSL exchanges. Its a technology that came about in the 90s.

So it literally only 20+ years old

Here is a brief history of it i just found.
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~aodhoh/adsl/report.html#history

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Are homes in rural Holland as sparsely scattered throughout the country as they are here though?I can't see how any company could make money by providing fibre to the rural homes of my relatives and friends here without the residents having to pay a good chunk of the installation costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Are homes in rural Holland as sparsely scattered throughout the country as they are here though?I can't see how any company could make money by providing fibre to the rural homes of my relatives and friends here without the residents having to pay a good chunk of the installation costs.

Last time i checked the esb string cables are all over the place and make money from it, i cant see why eircom cant piggy back on them cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

This is a standard myth peddled by those who don't want to spend any cash, is simply not true and has been debunked many times now. Many people believe this myth without using critical thinking...

Take Finland, for instance, a country with massive rural sprawl and vast parts of that country above the Arctic Circle could:

1. Make speeds above 1Mb/s a legal right
    2. Roll out vast amounts of fibre to rural area including above the Arctic Circle.

Yes they are in the EU too so the same directives that gave us a legal right to 28K dialup (thanks Comreg) apply to them too, so we could easily do it too if there were any willingness to do it by Comreg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Obviously DSL is slightly better than mobile at the moment. That could change with '4G' arrival in the next few months ( with urban locations likely benefiting from this new so called technology!)

DSL is far from "slightly better" than 3G "broadband". DSL is far superior.

Holland is a country inside the EU, has a similar population and their broadband providers, provide fibre to the home to both rural and urban users.

Why haven't we done the same? Whats holding us back?

The population density of Holland is 492 people per sq kilometer, the population density of Ireland is 62. Holland is around 9 times more densely populated. There's a huge difference.

The future would have been very different for urban areas if UPC did not come here (remember that) and still Eircom are slow moving even in urban areas!

Agreed

2 Eircom is broke from asset stripping and bad management piled on the debt. That unfortunately doesn't help people living in rural areas who love to see a future were they'll have better internet in their homes.
    Agreed, but rural areas will always suffer with the technologies available at the moment
    Theres a host of countries in the west were you can get fibre if you traveled into the countryside.

I go back to the population density argument. If you look at the UK, rural areas are left with poorly backhauled DSL too.

Problem with Eircom, its all about here and now for them (no looking ahead), and their bottom line always is how much money will i get in return for this product and service..

The same as any business

Fibre is likely to be with us for another 20 years so there is no viable reason why rural areas can not have fibre.
    Really? FIbre to the home in rural areas in Ireland? Really? FTTC maybe but not practical in many areas, although all exchanges should have adequate backhaul

It would be sound business in fact but you'll get a return eventually. But Eircom and UPC too just want quick returns

I don't see what UPC are doing that is too wrong tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

I think UPC should make it crystal clear in their ads that it is only available in about 4 areas within a population of 4.5million. Those ads make it easier for eircon to sit on their arse and do nothing but use an old banger technology. The view to the outside world is we ie a majority can get 50mb. If it was made widely known we are way behind and damaging investment then eircom would be forced to do more.

Ooops I forgot UPC is widely available in mini ireland so no fear things will ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Holland has an area of 16,000 sq. miles which is 60% the size of Republic of Ireland (27,000).

It has almost 4 times the population at almost 17,000,000 compared to Ireland's 4,500,000.

4 times the population in a bit over half the area.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I think UPC should make it crystal clear in their ads that it is only available in about 4 areas within a population of 4.5million. Those ads make it easier for eircon to sit on their arse and do nothing but use an old banger technology. The view to the outside world is we ie a majority can get 50mb. If it was made widely known we are way behind and damaging investment then eircom would be forced to do more.

Ooops I forgot UPC is widely available in mini ireland so no fear things will ever change.

Eircom, many of the rural exchanges in Ireland are ASDL1- the next level up is ASDL2

At the very least Eircom should be upgrading these rural exchanges to an acceptable standard!

Mobile actually can be superior in some locations to DSL

( Especially when it comes to upload speeds)

Holland is only 1 example were rural home owners have gotten fibre broadband.

We need to stop comparing our country to the UK- Ireland has 4 million people England has 60 million + so the task is much greater there than here!

We should be looking at what Holland and Finland did ( thanks Bealtine) those are countries relatively near and close to us ( a short plane journey away)

Anyway even folks on here have excuses for why telecom providers do provide for rural areas. Is it any wonder they get away with their nonsense so easily (wake up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭funnyname

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cheerful Spring

I go back to the population density argument. If you look at the UK, rural areas are left with poorly backhauled DSL too

Well it's time for us to stop waiting for Eircom to bring decent BB to rural Ireland and take a leaf out of these guy's book.

Fast fibre: A community shows the way

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21442348

My shovel is at the ready

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

irishgeo wrote: »
    Last time i checked the esb string cables are all over the place and make money from it, i cant see why eircom cant piggy back on them cables?

There are plenty of houses where it is not cost effective to supply electricity to. But it is seen as basic human right.

I think you might have forgotten that Eircom already have lines to all these houses (Phone lines) The problem is you cant just flick a switch to provide broadband on them

funnyname wrote: »
    Well it's time for us to stop waiting for Eircom to bring decent BB to rural Ireland and take a leaf out of these guy's book.

Fast fibre: A community shows the way

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21442348

My shovel is at the ready

Its the lack of vision that annoys me.

600 people live in a village (usually the norm across ireland) - just say say 100 people connect to fibre how long would it take for Eircom and UPC to recoup the money they've invested

5 years- 10- 20 years. Internet should be viewed as a longterm investment and yes it will require government involvement. But i just don't see willingness there on behave of the Irish government.

They claim they'll put money into the pot soon and never mind they got 800 million from the spectrum auctions in November 2012

How much of this has been put been invested to improve rural broadband? I haven't heard anything that was four months ago. Everything we do in this country is slow and slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

See attached

Interestingly there are two new cabinets right beside each other on the Greencastle road. There is another only a couple of hundred meters away as well further down the same road, and another being installed a couple of hundred meters away beside mcdonalds.

The density of the cabinets near the Belcamp exchange seems very high.

Is it due to it being a UPC dominated area? Purely speculation, but is it possible the density of cabinets will be lower in areas where there is no competition,.

Advertisement