Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Praetorian wrote: »
    See attached

Interestingly there are two new cabinets right beside each other on the Greencastle road. There is another only a couple of hundred meters away as well further down the same road, and another being installed a couple of hundred meters away beside mcdonalds.

The density of the cabinets near the Belcamp exchange seems very high.

Is it due to it being a UPC dominated area? Purely speculation, but is it possible the density of cabinets will be lower in areas where there is no competition,.

But surely one or two would be enough, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harrys

irishgeo wrote: »
    Last time i checked the esb string cables are all over the place and make money from it, i cant see why eircom cant piggy back on them cables?

Some people shouldn't be given Internet access at all, at any speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭irishgeo

harrys wrote: »
    Some people shouldn't be given Internet access at all, at any speed.

thats was because eircom decided to split lines in rural areas rather than a whole new line from the exchange.

Interesting article...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Praetorian wrote: »
    The density of the cabinets near the Belcamp exchange seems very high.

Is it due to it being a UPC dominated area? Purely speculation, but is it possible the density of cabinets will be lower in areas where there is no competition,.

Maybe a load of business customers nearby in an area not cabled by UPC. Could be lines into estates are all underground and they cannot break in closer to homes.

Each cab is 200 ports or so so the 3 boxes in your photo will do 600 connections.

They are still rolling out new cabs and jointing fibre in Shantalla, which was a December 2012 target.

• Advertisement

thats was because eircom decided to split lines in rural areas rather than a whole new line from the exchange.

Name one incumbent in Europe, just one, that doesn't do that.

Name one incumbent in Europe, just one, that doesn't do that.

no idea, but i dont see them halving the line rental.

no idea, but i dont see them halving the line rental.

Don't worry about not having any idea about how things work, either here and in similar countries, just feel free to comment away as you see fit, and demand half price.

Try it with the cashier in Dunnes Stores and let us know how you get on. Ask her to string along the beans with the washing powder to cut costs.

Above all, keep a thick completely ignorant head loud and proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

If Eircom would like to give faster broadband in many households today, they could do that now with pressing only a button, but they don`t. For example in my case they force me to 5Mb, while my line (based on SNR) would capable for 12Mb. I have escalated the case many times, but I could never reach someone up the line at Eircom who would have any clue what is the difference between ADSL1 and ADSL2+. The technical support team is a bunch of idiots. My modem is ADSL2 ready, my exchange is, too, but they force me to ADSL1 because of their incredible stupidity...

By the way UPC is neither better, this week a very expert technician told me that they cannot provide me wireless services because my business is not wired in. WTF?!

Why these people are not going out and clean the streets instead of sitting in IT technical positions? A friend of my colleague worked with an Internet provider as broadband technical support, but obviously she had issue with handling the mouse. Of course if you asked her about the word ADSL, she didn`t know what is that. What she had to know, up to 24 Mb and please reboot. That is absolutely crazy!

Don't worry about not having any idea about how things work, either here and in similar countries, just feel free to comment away as you see fit, and demand half price.

Try it with the cashier in Dunnes Stores and let us know how you get on. Ask her to string along the beans with the washing powder to cut costs.

Above all, keep a thick completely ignorant head loud and proud.

Hmm personal abuse. Reported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

red_bairn wrote: »
    Interesting article...

Hes echoing what i've been saying the last few days about Eircom.

“Most of the people who own the big copper networks want to hold onto that infrastructure for as long as possible because they can sweat out as much as they can from those assets; their target is to make money and keep their shareholders happy.

“Then there are the decision makers at government level who are not willing to face the challenge but instead take the easiest route that extends as far as the nearest elections or when interim results are due.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

There are two new green cabinets opposite Limerick Jail, just down from that fashion college

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

There are two new green cabinets opposite Limerick Jail, just down from that fashion college

You hardly expect the prisoners to maintain their lifestyle on basic broadband!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

chriss745 wrote: »
    If Eircom would like to give faster broadband in many households today, they could do that now with pressing only a button, but they don`t. For example in my case they force me to 5Mb, while my line (based on SNR) would capable for 12Mb. I have escalated the case many times, but I could never reach someone up the line at Eircom who would have any clue what is the difference between ADSL1 and ADSL2+. The technical support team is a bunch of idiots. My modem is ADSL2 ready, my exchange is, too, but they force me to ADSL1 because of their incredible stupidity...

if your line could hold 12 meg comfortably, don't you think you'd be at the max for ADSL ?

a lot of those SNR test don't take into account fluctuating line conditions then customer end problems, alarms, internal wiring, other apparatus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The problem is that the technical support is often little more that a customer placating service.

The actual technical people are a couple of levels beyond the contact centres.

You should try posting your queries on the eircom and UPC boards.ie forums on the biz "talk to" category.

I wasn't aware that UPC had any wireless broadband products. They do MMDS television, but that's just a legacy digital tv service for non cabled areas. It doesn't come with any form of broadband or phone.

You should threaten to cancel eircom and see if they'll get someone to look into the ADSL 1 vs 2 issue. There could be genuine technology reasons though, for example you line could be on a remote concentrator cabinet which is located away from the the local exchange and may not have ADSL2+ gear.

Or, it could just be a case of "computah says no!" where they're only willing to look at a database with less than up to date information.

arctan wrote: »
    if your line could hold 12 meg comfortably, don't you think you'd be at the max for ADSL ?

a lot of those SNR test don't take into account fluctuating line conditions then customer end problems, alarms, internal wiring, other apparatus

Nope, ITU G.992.5 (ADSL2+) uses wider frequency range than ITU G.992.1 (ADSL1), if the line cannot be maxed out with ADSL1 it doesn't mean cannot be faster on ADSL2+. That is Eircom misconception also.

I am a network engineer, I am sure my line is capable for 11-12Mbit on a ITU G.992.5 profile.

Solair wrote: »
    The problem is that the technical support is often little more that a customer placating service.

The actual technical people are a couple of levels beyond the contact centres.

You should try posting your queries on the eircom and UPC boards.ie forums on the biz "talk to" category.

I wasn't aware that UPC had any wireless broadband products. They do MMDS television, but that's just a legacy digital tv service for non cabled areas. It doesn't come with any form of broadband or phone.

You should threaten to cancel eircom and see if they'll get someone to look into the ADSL 1 vs 2 issue. There could be genuine technology reasons though, for example you line could be on a remote concentrator cabinet which is located away from the the local exchange and may not have ADSL2+ gear.

Or, it could just be a case of "computah says no!" where they're only willing to look at a database with less than up to date information.

I escalated that into the highest technical level (Rory at Magnet), but no hope. Based on my noise details (it was measured from both sides) I could get 12Mbit on ADSL2+, but Eircom measures the max line speed with ADSL1 standard, and because on ADSL1 my line is capable only for 7.6Mbit, they do not allow ADSL2+ on my endpoint due to a stupid internal policy.

UPC's wireless broadband: http://business.upc.ie/products/data/ethernet_over_microwave/

Recently a number (eventually all) operators have started to invest in intelligence in their Contact Centres. Not human intelligence, they still want part-timers, in-between jobsers, Hello-my-name-is-Ranjeet-sorry-I-mean-Ronnie etc., but in discriminatory inbound call analysis software.

So rock-solid, pay-on-time high-margin customers are recognized and treated better than package-tarts, upgrade-hasslers and what have you.

A-number ID is their 1st port of call.

Recently a number (eventually all) operators have started to invest in intelligence in their Contact Centres. Not human intelligence, they still want part-timers, in-between jobsers, Hello-my-name-is-Ranjeet-sorry-I-mean-Ronnie etc., but in discriminatory inbound call analysis software.

So rock-solid, pay-on-time high-margin customers are recognized and treated better than package-tarts, upgrade-hasslers and what have you.

A-number ID is their 1st port of call.

I wouldn't mind a part-time job. I'm currently doing the MSc in Computer Science (conversion) course in UCD. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I wouldn't mind a part-time job. I'm currently doing the MSc in Computer Science (conversion) course in UCD. :D

They need more fibre splicers, not first line 'what coloured lights are on the modem' merchants. :D

Interesting article...

Depends Depends on whether you believe the fibre or the copper evangelists. The fibre evangelist is absolutely correct in rural areas but the copper guys have a point in urban areas where they should be able to sweat the shorter copper runs for some years yet.

VDSL2+Vectoring+Pair Bonding(most houses have 2 pairs coming in from the road)+Advanced vectoring such as DSL level 3 and later iterations should get VDSL up to 500mbits where used in an apartment block basement ( ingeniously known as FTTB) and up to 300mbits in the burbs on outdoor lines and all within about 3-4 years.

Sooner or later eircom will have to start building fibre nearer than 1km as they have with cabinetisation....not that they ever intend to of course. That could be some years away....perhaps not till the next decade.

The big driver could be Video...if the latest 'Super HD' standards take off. Currently they are only shiny toys with marketing names at trade fairs. :)

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They need more fibre splicers, not first line 'what coloured lights are on the modem' merchants. :D

:D damn hhaha

Depends Depends on whether you believe the fibre or the copper evangelists. The fibre evangelist is absolutely correct in rural areas but the copper guys have a point in urban areas where they should be able to sweat the shorter copper runs for some years yet.

VDSL2+Vectoring+Pair Bonding(most houses have 2 pairs coming in from the road)+Advanced vectoring such as DSL level 3 and later iterations should get VDSL up to 500mbits where used in an apartment block basement ( ingeniously known as FTTB) and up to 300mbits in the burbs on outdoor lines and all within about 3-4 years.

Sooner or later eircom will have to start building fibre nearer than 1km as they have with cabinetisation....not that they ever intend to of course. That could be some years away....perhaps not till the next decade.

The big driver could be Video...if the latest 'Super HD' standards take off. Currently they are only shiny toys with marketing names at trade fairs. :)

Ethernet to the tv. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

had Eircom Sales at the door tonight
    Told me that Fibre was going live in Balbriggan in April
    50Mb for 40€
    120Mb for 70€
    Unfortunately , my BS detector was out of batteries ...

Vico1612 wrote: »
    50Mb for 40€
    120Mb for 70€

lol, pricey. I'm gonna head up to my mates in Drogheda this weekend to get fitted for his wedding and check on this so-called 'fibre' that he's hooked up to. I'll have to bring this laptop up to do some troubleshooting for his network as well...:rolleyes:

50Mb for 40€
    120Mb for 70€

They had similar prices for the pilot, that would make sense for me.

They had similar prices for the pilot, that would make sense for me.

How do you know that? Are you in a pilot area?

I wonder if they've done Bray and any other places from Phase 2. :S

50Mb for 40€
    120Mb for 70€

April is mentioned as the launch date in a few places.

hmm interesting prices, vodafone and the other 3rd party providers will be undercutting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

lol, pricey. I'm gonna head up to my mates in Drogheda this weekend to get fitted for his wedding and check on this so-called 'fibre' that he's hooked up to. I'll have to bring this laptop up to do some troubleshooting for his network as well...:rolleyes:

Post a Speedtest and Pingtest result from your friend's line here if you can. Also, tell us how much he's paying in total.

Post a Speedtest and Pingtest result from your friend's line here if you can. Also, tell us how much he's paying in total.
    Sometimes up with his set up. He's get 0.19 and paying 40 euro without a phone line. :rolleyes: He's busy tonight but I might need to hook up VNC with him.

That is atrocious typing there by me. Hahaha, only noticed it now. I'll do that all and write up any other details that I can find out about his setup or what Eircom said he's suppose to get in regards to this contract...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Nope, ITU G.992.5 (ADSL2+) uses wider frequency range than ITU G.992.1 (ADSL1), if the line cannot be maxed out with ADSL1 it doesn't mean cannot be faster on ADSL2+. That is Eircom misconception also.

I am a network engineer, I am sure my line is capable for 11-12Mbit on a ITU G.992.5 profile.

well aware of the standards and differences, my point being (and presuming I suppose you could say), and speaking from experience, is that if it is not handling full speed on ADSL, even with the extra bins available now in the 1.1 -2.2 MHz bandwidth and different modulation scheme, line conditions and the higher attenuation on the higher frequencies usually doesn't bring up the speeds that much higher ...

in theory, yes it should, but what I've seen in practice is maybe 8 to 9 megs in a situation like yours ...

although I have seen the exceptions also ...

perfect example is my house and my neighbour ...

I'm ADSL, line will hold 5.5 maybe 6 megs on a good day, lines are pretty similar conditions wise, they are ADSL2, and they max out at 6.5 megs

• Advertisement

How do you know that? Are you in a pilot area?

I wonder if they've done Bray and any other places from Phase 2. :S

No, the pilot was open, I checked the prices on their websites. Eircom had 2 packages, 50Mbit down, 20Mbit up (FTTC) with 250GB cap, and 150Mbit (FTTH) with 500GB cap. I don't exactly remember the prices, but it was somewhere around 50-60 EUR per month.

Magnet had also an unlimited FTTC package (Eircom wholesale), 45Mbit down, 16Mbit up, naked VDSL 60 EUR, with phone it was 69 EUR per month.

Advertisement