Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

An efibre mini site with a register your interest link now up on eircom.net

http://www.eircom.net/efibre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Eircom are currently working in Ardleigh in mullingar, dont know if that will cover Ardilaun( i dont see any eircom green boxes in Ardilaun ), the mrs asked one of the eircom guys when it would be available and he freaked out saying they still had to fibre the whole of mullingar yet lol( tbh if thats the case its the most stupid thing ever as the national fibre ring runs between both estates last i checked and the eircom switch is about 1 mile away but according to line stats is about 4km away whatever way they wired it. )

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harrys

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Eircom are currently working in Ardleigh in mullingar, dont know if that will cover Ardilaun( i dont see any eircom green boxes in Ardilaun ), the mrs asked one of the eircom guys when it would be available and he freaked out saying they still had to fibre the whole of mullingar yet lol( tbh if thats the case its the most stupid thing ever as the national fibre ring runs between both estates last i checked and the eircom switch is about 1 mile away but according to line stats is about 4km away whatever way they wired it. )

That's the thing about the Internet. They give it out to anyone. Mullingar, anywhere, you name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

lmimmfn wrote: »

They've done loads of areas in mullingar. My estate has been done for a couple of months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They have slowed down quite a bit.

I'd reckon the December 2012 tranche of exchanges is now out to Easter 2013 ( end march) and that the December 2013 tranche is out to end June 2014 and that is only what they delayed things by in 2012. On the Shantalla exchange they still seem to be fibre jointing ( ie cabs in since LATE January
    , fibre now pulled, fibre not connected fully yet) and that exchange was supposed to be fully marketable in December 2012.

They could end up delaying the December 2013 tranche as far out as December 2014 yet...by fractionally enabling limited numbers of cabs within an exchange area, declaring it live, and adding the rest slowly over time within that exchange area.

The trick is in how to do this ekeing out of capex and pretending that fractional completion = service availability, without pissing everybody off. This is something eircom are no good at TBH and they have left abandoned quite a few rollout programs in recent years. ADSL1 ( broadbandatoz.ie ) ADSL2 (ngb.ie) WIMAX etc etc. Why would it be any different this time???? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

The second speed figure of 120 Mb here doesn't seem to stack up unfortunately
    Originally Posted by Vico1612
    had Eircom Sales at the door tonight
    Told me that Fibre was going live in Balbriggan in April
    50Mb for 40€
    120Mb for 70€
    Unfortunately , my BS detector was out of batteries ...

irishgeo wrote: »
    An efibre mini site with a register your interest link now up on eircom.net

Why eFibre broadband from eircom is the future of broadband

Your whole broadband experience can be improved by switching to eFibre broadband from eircom. Once you're connected you'll instantly see the benefits, including:

Faster speeds of up to 70 MB Mb/s - which means that multiple users, using multiple devices can, connect to the internet simultaneously at faster than ever speed, in your home.
    Multiple devices - all members of your family can enjoy their favourite online activities, all at the same time and on their preferred devices, without any interruption in connection.
    A wider choice of entertainment - eFibre broadband from eircom can deliver a world of new entertainment services into your home, including downloading high definition movies, live streaming concerts and much, much more.
    Reliable Service - consistently high speeds whenever you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

ElNino wrote: »
    The second speed figure of 120 Mb here doesn't seem to stack up unfortunately

Well I did include the BS Detector disclaimer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

I just now called Magnet sales and asked if they plan to start up FTTC service with Eircom in April. They had no clue what I was talking about. :(

I hope it was only due to the support level 1 guy missing knowledge about things and they are planning the FTTC service. I would like to do not switch back to Eircom because Magnet do not provide FTTC service, I am quite satisfied with them.

Those level 1 grunts will probably be the last guys to be told - probably only when the fibre is launched by Eircom in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They have slowed down quite a bit.

I'd reckon the December 2012 tranche of exchanges is now out to Easter 2013 ( end march) and that the December 2013 tranche is out to end June 2014 and that is only what they delayed things by in 2012. On the Shantalla exchange they still seem to be fibre jointing ( ie cabs in since LATE January
    , fibre now pulled, fibre not connected fully yet) and that exchange was supposed to be fully marketable in December 2012.

They could end up delaying the December 2013 tranche as far out as December 2014 yet...by fractionally enabling limited numbers of cabs within an exchange area, declaring it live, and adding the rest slowly over time within that exchange area.

The trick is in how to do this ekeing out of capex and pretending that fractional completion = service availability, without pissing everybody off. This is something eircom are no good at TBH and they have left abandoned quite a few rollout programs in recent years. ADSL1 ( broadbandatoz.ie ) ADSL2 (ngb.ie) WIMAX etc etc. Why would it be any different this time???? :D

Has vanished already :)

Belcamp another exchange that was supposed to be complete in Dec 2012 isn't complete either. Only a couple of days ago I saw another cabinet appear in the area.

Eircom may be easing off on allowing overtime / more expensive contractors etc since the regulator troubles halted an early 2013 launch. If they can launch with a semi decent number of exchanges finished I would be satisfied!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Praetorian wrote: »

Has vanished already :)

Belcamp another exchange that was supposed to be complete in Dec 2012 isn't complete either. Only a couple of days ago I saw another cabinet appear in the area.

Eircom may be easing off on allowing overtime / more expensive contractors etc since the regulator troubles halted an early 2013 launch. If they can launch with a semi decent number of exchanges finished I would be satisfied!

AHAHAHA. i can't believe they took it down. I just looked at it earlier. Did one of you guys ring them up? :D

eircom retail are not allowed to market the service before anyone else. I registered for it for the crack and the nearest cab to me is 5km away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

KN Networks are putting in fibre around parts of Enniscorthy for the last couple of days.Asked Eircom engineers who were wandering around the area a couple of weeks ago were they going to give the town fibre & they said "not a hope",yet here we are now having new ducting & fibre being run.

zerks wrote: »
    KN Networks are putting in fibre around parts of Enniscorthy for the last couple of days.Asked Eircom engineers who were wandering around the area a couple of weeks ago were they going to give the town fibre & they said "not a hope",yet here we are now having new ducting & fibre being run.

Are they not working for BT or UPC?

http://www.knnetworkservices.com/projects/upc-rebuild/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

red_bairn wrote: »

I just saw a load of Eircom guys around the place 2 weeks ago & the KN signage says "working on behalf of Eircom" so put 2 & 2 together.However,I reckon you could be correct,if I get a chance later.I'll ask one of them.If it's BT,then hopefully my broadband will become even better.Happy enough with it but faster is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Interesting read on Ireland's flagging fibre rollout. It seems that some ISPs think Irish people have no interest in fast broadband access..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2013/0221/1224330311077.html?via=rel

Chance would be a fine thing! It is a bit rich complaining about low take up of fibre to the home (FTTH) in Ireland when nobody provides it. Even fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) is limited to certain areas served only by UPC at present which lots of us don't live in. When Eircom launch (FTTC) in my area shortly I will bite their hands off.

I see that the Eircom spokesman mentioned speeds of up to 70mb/second the same as what their efibre site said yesterday before it was taken down. I can only get about 7mb/second with ADSL2 so I will welcome any increase in speed above that.

That comment from the FTTH Council was comment on the incompetence of Pat Rabbitte as a minister really. :)
    Magnet Networks CEO, Mark Kellett, said mass market adoption of FTTH in Ireland has “failed for a number of reasons” thus far, but primarily “it’s down to a lack of clear Government strategy underpinned by weak regulation, making Ireland less attractive for investment into the FTTH sector”.

Both UPC and eircom are rolling out fibre close to the home....but not in the door.....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

its comments like this that make my blood boil and allow eircom to dither for ages/

"Pilot schemes

Ireland’s largest “fibre” network roll-out has seen Eircom deliver FTTC services to “230,000 premises and we aim to have 700,000 premises ... by December 2013”.

this gives the impression the service is already available and as we all well know its not.

very annoying

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    its comments like this that make my blood boil and allow eircom to dither for ages/

"Pilot schemes

Ireland’s largest “fibre” network roll-out has seen Eircom deliver FTTC services to “230,000 premises and we aim to have 700,000 premises ... by December 2013”.

this gives the impression the service is already available and as we all well know its not.

very annoying

Are they talking about frame relay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

lockup35 wrote: »
    Interesting read on Ireland's flagging fibre rollout. It seems that some ISPs think Irish people have no interest in fast broadband access..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2013/0221/1224330311077.html?via=rel

Well if that was true how does one explain UPC broadband success? .

How many Irish people can actually get UPC?

Fibre were you can get it has been purchased by Irish people in huge numbers.

Some people have in their mind think you need a phone line to get it. I have heard this from a number of people over the years this Probably explains what some haven't switched.

Personally i think this Prof Tauber is talking rubbish.

ElNino wrote: »
    Chance would be a fine thing! It is a bit rich complaining about low take up of fibre to the home (FTTH) in Ireland when nobody provides it. Even fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) is limited to certain areas served only by UPC at present which lots of us don't live in. When Eircom launch (FTTC) in my area shortly I will bite their hands off.

I see that the Eircom spokesman mentioned speeds of up to 70mb/second the same as what their efibre site said yesterday before it was taken down. I can only get about 7mb/second with ADSL2 so I will welcome any increase in speed above that.

This is the problem opinions like that of Prof Taube get read by politicians and so forth and they think its true when its not. Another reason why nothing gets done in this country.

He is correct in terms of what the government has done in small towns and rural areas where around half the population live, eircom is crap and UPC is not there.....and never was.

However the ESB intends to change some of that don't forget. :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    He is correct in terms of what the government has done in small towns and rural areas where around half the population live, eircom is crap and UPC is not there.....and never was.

However the ESB intends to change some of that don't forget. :)

I meant Mark kellet sorry prof tauber

“The average consumer in Ireland is slower to adopt fibre technologies than other Europeans,” said Mr Kellett. “The appetite just isn’t there and the Government is doing very little to change that.”

This just pissed me off no end.

I meant Mark kellet sorry prof tauber

“The average consumer in Ireland is slower to adopt fibre technologies than other Europeans,” said Mr Kellett. “The appetite just isn’t there and the Government is doing very little to change that.”

This just pissed me off no end.

He clearly wasn't introduced to this forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/31582-eircom-next-gen-network-is

May launch according to the article above.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

irishgeo wrote: »

In every two months they delay the start by two months. In October they said January, in December they said Easter (late March) and now they say May. In April are they going to they say August?

That is absolutely ridiculous!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well if that was true how does one explain UPC broadband success? .

How many Irish people can actually get UPC?

Fibre were you can get it has been purchased by Irish people in huge numbers.

Some people have in their mind think you need a phone line to get it. I have heard this from a number of people over the years this Probably explains what some haven't switched.

He is talking about FTTH when he says fibre so UPC don't count. I don't think most people really care what technology their broadband is using once the speeds are good. Part of our low take up of FTTH is more due to it's availability. Magnet offer it in some places in Dublin but does any one else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Some very impressive Eircom fibre speed tests displayed in thread below:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055741004?page=97#post_83321299

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Some very impressive Eircom fibre speed tests displayed in thread below:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055741004?page=97#post_83321299

Is that FTTH or FTTC?

Advertisement