Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Liamario wrote: »

Is that FTTH or FTTC?

FTTC. <100m from the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Fixed the link
    red_bairn wrote: »
    FTTC. <100m from the cabinet.

Were you on the pilot scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

How far ahead would we be if Telecom Eireann hadnt be privatised? They were even trialing TV over the network before the privatisation. They really could have competed with UPC then.

Fixed the link

Were you on the pilot scheme?

No. I live in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I hate you.

• Advertisement

I hate you.

LOL. Ok...why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Here's that guys speed to save people clicking through

2522155296.png

I'm finding it to comprehend those speeds with that ISP at the bottom!

And only €65, I'm paying €70 now though that's with line rental. Still I'd take those speeds for €100/month, not too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

2522155296.png

And only €65, I'm paying €70 now though that's with line rental. Still I'd take those speeds for €100/month, not too expensive.

I thought the same. He posted one reading of 133Mbps (and 24Mbps upload). Who would have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

2522155296.png

Faster than 99% of Ireland. That would not hard at those speeds. Webpages must load in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I saw eircom installing a new junction box alongside an existing one in my neighborhood. I didnt get a chance to stop to chat to the engineers, but i saw them also installing a few others around the area. Is there any way i could find out if this is going to be for fibre roll out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

yeah, they are.

Scruff wrote: »
    I saw eircom installing a new junction box alongside an existing one in my neighborhood. I didnt get a chance to stop to chat to the engineers, but i saw them also installing a few others around the area. Is there any way i could find out if this is going to be for fibre roll out?

On the mobile app, so cant see your location. Where you at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

those speeds dont make sense when you read this..

"the fibre-connected street cabinets that will enable 1.2m homes and businesses to get 50Mbps to 70Mbps broadband by 2014 have been future-proofed to enable fibre-to-the-home (FTTH). If economic conditions ever allow, FTTH could potentially see speeds of between 100Mbps and 200Mbps available in many homes across Ireland."

so lets not get carried away. If I get 50mb in my little house I will be in heaven. anything higher and I will think I have left the country.

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

He speeds are probably higher because not many people are using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

No. I live in Greystones.

How did you get that there now? Are you in the 8 weeks pilot?

chriss745 wrote: »

How did you get that there now? Are you in the 8 weeks pilot?

I don't know why people are presuming I'm in the pilot scheme. There are currently only two pilot schemes...Wexford and Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    those speeds dont make sense when you read this..

"the fibre-connected street cabinets that will enable 1.2m homes and businesses to get 50Mbps to 70Mbps broadband by 2014 have been future-proofed to enable fibre-to-the-home (FTTH). If economic conditions ever allow, FTTH could potentially see speeds of between 100Mbps and 200Mbps available in many homes across Ireland."

so lets not get carried away. If I get 50mb in my little house I will be in heaven. anything higher and I will think I have left the country.

gbc

It will be "upto" 70 mbps. By my own calculations. On standard FTTC I might get 30 m/bit if the cables go the long way to me, and 50 m/bit or so if they go another way. I live in hope.

The more I read about vectoring the more positive I am. The speeds should increase by a big margin when Eircom enable vectoring. Upto 100 m/bit + for a good few people. All of this on FTTC technology.

I reckon I might get 40 m/bit if the cables go the long way to me, or near enough 100m/bit if they take the short route.

The truth is a lot of people are going to see very significant increases. A lot of unfortunate people on 1 and 2 and 3m/bit lines will have new connections that are excellent. A lot of people who are on crap lines will still be on crap lines.

Take Lusk and Rush in North Co Dublin. The exchange is in the middle of no where. I know a lot of people in Lusk especially, and the highest speed I know a lot of people receive is about 5-6m/bit. When these towns have cabs in them the speed differences are going to be significant.

Saying 100-200 m/bit with FTTH is silly. Really they could provide 1000m/bit + with FTTH if they wanted to. They are running very high capacity fiber to each cabinet. They are future proofing. But a general FTTH rollout would cost billions for a nationwide rollout.

It would be great to see eircom in the future offering local communities the option for FTTH, if 10 or 20 houses on a road wanted it, it would bring the cost down. I would be willing to pay a decent sum for FTTH. Will this happen: not anytime in the next 10 years in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

I don't know why people are presuming I'm in the pilot scheme. There are currently only two pilot schemes...Wexford and Sandyford.

No, there is a wholesale NGA pilot running now for 8 weeks in multiple exchanges. You could be part of that, too. But I suppose you are "close" to Eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Praetorian wrote: »
    I reckon I might get 40 m/bit if the cables go the long way to me, or near enough 100m/bit if they take the short route.

With vectoring and also Pair Bonding ( using 2 or more pairs) they will get to 300mbits before they really need to deploy deeper fibre. Mind you so will UPC and UPC fibre is aveaging to within 300m of the premises where eircom fibre is nearer 500m where they cabinetise.

A lot of unfortunate people on 1 and 2 and 3m/bit lines will have new connections that are excellent.

Too true. From 1-3 up to 50-70 in one go is one hell of a jump.
    It would be great to see eircom in the future offering local communities the option for FTTH, if 10 or 20 houses on a road wanted it, it would bring the cost down. I would be willing to pay a decent sum for FTTH. Will this happen: not anytime in the next 10 years in my opinion.

They won't go there. eircom want to control the entire process or they get no line rental....their great cash cow. With FTTH you will need to deal with anybody but eircom. Technically if you can obtain a connection by some means in the VDSL cab FTTH in an urban area should be fairly easy to deploy nowadays once you get the wayleaves and road opening consents (the latter will be thorny) .

You can slit trench ( a giant consaw) , here is a slit trencher in operation in Galway in late 2011 on the traffic light network, tip in fibre and fill the slit with a sort of cementy tar/resin gunk that goes rock hard.

Here is another, 4-600m a day it does. Total cost €40-60 per metre including fibre. Once you get off the road the fibre can be clipped on houses overhead etc in urban areas and in rural areas you can mole trence on the verge instead of slit trenching the road. :)

For soft ground microtrench there is this cool yoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

steady on now, lets get the fibre to cabinet working first, why would eircom employ vectoring? and is it not years down the road anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

He is talking about FTTH when he says fibre so UPC don't count. I don't think most people really care what technology their broadband is using once the speeds are good. Part of our low take up of FTTH is more due to it's availability. Magnet offer it in some places in Dublin but does any one else?

I agree with this (anything is better than DSL or mobile at the moment).

If only fibre was cheap to put down into the ground. I think the cost of doing this ultimately is what would be holding us back.

I still think the 800 million got from the spectrum auctions should be used for this purpose. Its money the Irish government never had prior to Nov last year.

There really is no excuse anymore why rural areas get left behind. Obviously in saying that though, not all rural areas can be catered for their just too remote and broadband companies will simply never go there, less helped out with funding. But why are rural villages just outside our main population cities still using 'ASDL1' technology in 2013- this needs to change.
    '

2522155296.png

My average upload speed with eircom is 320kb even 1 meg would be nice

chriss745 wrote: »
    In every two months they delay the start by two months. In October they said January, in December they said Easter (late March) and now they say May. In April are they going to they say August?

That is absolutely ridiculous!

Well from today there may be problems ahead
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/31593-telcos-seek-oireachtas/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    With vectoring and also Pair Bonding ( using 2 or more pairs) they will get to 300mbits before they really need to deploy deeper fibre. Mind you so will UPC and UPC fibre is aveaging to within 300m of the premises where eircom fibre is nearer 500m where they cabinetise.

/videos snip

that was real interesting. are you a network engineer? brb renting one of those trench cutter machines and getting to work in rural clare!

so is the main cost of all this fibre laying for eircom in the civil engineering cost? is the cost of the actual fibre and network equipment not that much?

any other sources to read up on this stuff. i read the tubes book around christmas and found it fascinating although it didn't get very technical

that was real interesting. are you a network engineer? brb renting one of those trench cutter machines and getting to work in rural clare!

so is the main cost of all this fibre laying for eircom in the civil engineering cost? is the cost of the actual fibre and network equipment not that much?

any other sources to read up on this stuff. i read the tubes book around christmas and found it fascinating although it didn't get very technical

FTTH Council Europe provide good material. Some not too technical.

In rural areas you can direct bury fibre if all the neighbours agree (as they are the ones likely to dig it up :D ) on where.

A Vibrating Mole Plough on a tractor, eg this one in Tipp, would be the trencher.

http://hanrahanplant.com/services.html

mole-ploughing.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

I get crap broadband speeds, probably due to being about 4 miles from the exchange.

- Will fibre provide any benefit?

- Do you have to opt-in to Fibre? Would I be able to check my possible spped before I sign up?

2527374398.png

Technique wrote: »
    I get crap broadband speeds, probably due to being about 4 miles from the exchange.

- Will fibre provide any benefit?

- Do you have to opt-in to Fibre? Would I be able to check my possible spped before I sign up?

2527374398.png

Is there a cabinet near to you?

Is there a cabinet near to you?

The closest one that I can see is probably 3 miles away. :(

Only Letterkenny URBAN is being done and no cabinets are going out the country. Same with Castlebar and Mervue which have large rural hinterlands.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Only Letterkenny URBAN is being done and no cabinets are going out the country. Same with Castlebar and Mervue which have large rural hinterlands.

But will there be any knock-on benefit to people outside the urban area?

Advertisement