Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There might be if they launch from a cab near the rural fringe instead of in the middle of town, otherwise no. They still need to run the exchange with DSL in town for quite some time. Go down the exchange and ask an area engineer or one of the KN lads in a van if you see them.

See the exchange area on this map

http://goo.gl/maps/5lP4K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks Sponge Bob.

It is pretty much true that there are 2 pairs to pretty much every urban house? And we assume also that eircom have the tech in the cabs to deploy bonding.

Would 2 pairs not equal 200m/bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Who the hell is this ALTO? Can they block the April launch? Actually why they want to block it? It is a wholesale service, if they want they can join, too!

I don't know the bandplans, hopefully Arctan our 'practitioner' will arrive to rescue me and not smite my ass for Gobshítery. I think we start with Profile 30a this year. :D

Basically we have a route from plain VDSL2 ( 2013) to Vectored/DSM VDSL2 ( 2015/6) to BONDED Vectored VDSL2 ( 2018 ish) and that sweats the copper to around 300mbits before Fibre becomes the only way around 2020. Some of these are early standards. We get the purple one this year. ( source for the graph shown below ) and some more reading . Some Morketing genius might even call these VDSL3 and VDSL4 :D

These speeds shown below are over AWG 24 ( 0.5mm diameter) copper and eircom uses thinner AWG 28 0.3mm and AWG 26 0.4mm copper.....mainly the former in underground and the latter in overground plant on E Sides which are the last run to the home from the cabinet see this earlier post in the thread

I think they use MORE AWG 24 on D Sides which run Exchange - Cabinet and are about to be bypassed completely from now on. I'll take my smiting for gob****ery on that assertion of course. :)

With those caveats ....here is what to expect and adjust down 20% pro rata this ADSL Reach/Copper Thickness guide because your line is normally thinner, M'kays and note that distances are in 1k FOOT units or 300m per. :)

Data Rate Wire gauge Wire size Distance
    1.5 or 2 Mbps 24 AWG 0.5 mm 5.5 km
    1.5 or 2 Mbps 26 AWG 0.4 mm 4.6 km

242237.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

chriss745 wrote: »
    Who the hell is this ALTO? Can they block the April launch? Actually why they want to block it? It is a wholesale service, if they want they can join, too!

http://www.alto.ie/

they're like the Sinn Fein of telecoms and complain about everything .... (not that there's anything wrong with that, I actually think it's always good to have a second opinion in there, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense)

as far as I know BT are part of it, and with them relying on Eircom's VDSL rollout, it's a bit strange alright.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I don't know the bandplans, hopefully Arctan our 'practitioner' will arrive to rescue me and not smite my ass for Gobshítery. I think we start with Profile 30a this year. biggrin.png

sorry I don't know what this is in regards to ?

• Advertisement

arctan wrote: »
    sorry I don't know what this is in regards to ?

In relationship to that VDSL2 profile and 0.3mm and 0.4mm E Side assertion of mine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I'm not too knowledgeable about this fibre rollout other than the bits and pieces I've read here so please bear with me.

I'm currently paying for NGB from Eircom up to 8mb as advertised. In reality I'm getting approx 2mb download and .3mb upload speeds. When i signed up they tested the line and said max I could get was 3mb down. Anyway, there's a few of those new green fibre boxes installed in the front of my estate so we'll have the option of getting fibre when it's eventually released. If I don't sign up for fibre BB will I see any increase in my current speeds because of the fibre rollout? i.e. will the fibre network increase my chances of getting near 8mb or are they two completely seperate networks.

neddynasty wrote: »
    I'm not too knowledgeable about this fibre rollout other than the bits and pieces I've read here so please bear with me.

I'm currently paying for NGB from Eircom up to 8mb as advertised. In reality I'm getting approx 2mb download and .3mb upload speeds. When i signed up they tested the line and said max I could get was 3mb down. Anyway, there's a few of those new green fibre boxes installed in the front of my estate so we'll have the option of getting fibre when it's eventually released. If I don't sign up for fibre BB will I see any increase in my current speeds because of the fibre rollout? i.e. will the fibre network increase my chances of getting near 8mb or are they two completely seperate networks.

No, the new network won't change your actual speeds unless you subscribe to the new VDSL system. These are two different networks (between the local telephone exchange and your house). The actual system (ADSL) comes from the farther exchange and goes to your modem, the new (VDSL2) comes from the closer green cab and goes to you new modem. You need also a new modem for the advanced speeds.

Technically they can as the new cabs will technically support ADSL2 etc if required but if you have a choice of up to 8mbits for €50 a month in a bundle or up to 40mbits for €50 a month in a bundle ( and connected to that new cab) what would you do???

I don't think they will switch many legacy customers over to the new cabs, they will do so if the customers order a faster package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Technically they can as the new cabs will technically support ADSL2 etc if required but if you have a choice of up to 8mbits for €50 a month in a bundle or up to 40mbits for €50 a month in a bundle ( and connected to that new cab) what would you do???

I don't think they will switch many legacy customers over to the new cabs, they will do so if the customers order a faster package.

"Do you want better internet?"
    :D

• Advertisement

I didn't know that the new street cabs backward compatible with ADSL2, too. But you are totally right, who would buy ADSL if VDSL is there, too. Who has ISDN now with an exchange what is ADSL ready and then distance is fine also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

In relationship to that VDSL2 profile and 0.3mm and 0.4mm E Side assertion of mine. :)

ah I see ...

any "new" (5-10 years) D-side is usually 0.5 .... but there are still some 0.4, 100 pairs being pulled in ...

then you have the age old problem of cables being stretched or kinked during pulling in, which causes even more headaches

good thoughts into the whole VDSL2 -> Vectoring -> Bonded ...

unless you're on an old style flyer system, 9 times out of 10 a customer will have 2 pairs going into the house, D-side cables availability will be a big issue though in some places .....
    chriss745 wrote: »
    Who has ISDN now with an exchange what is ADSL ready and then distance is fine also?

an awful lot of business still use it as a main system or back up

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

but if you have a choice of up to 8mbits for €50 a month in a bundle or up to 40mbits for €50 a month in a bundle ( and connected to that new cab) what would you do??? .

That's why I was asking. I'm paying approx €40 a month now. Say fibre is €15-€20 a month more than that (don't think pricing has been published but open to correction). I'd be happy to continue paying the €40/month and getting the full 8mb. That's still 4 times faster than I'm currently getting so a massive improvement. I guess it depends on what you're currently used to.

If the price was the same i.e. €50 for both then obviously you're go for the faster one.

neddynasty wrote: »
    That's why I was asking. I'm paying approx €40 a month now. Say fibre is €15-€20 a month more than that (don't think pricing has been published but open to correction). I'd be happy to continue paying the €40/month and getting the full 8mb. That's still 4 times faster than I'm currently getting so a massive improvement. I guess it depends on what you're currently used to.

If the price was the same i.e. €50 for both then obviously you're go for the faster one.

Prices are almost certainly going to be the same as adsl prices. Some packages might even be better value if you can buy naked vdsl.

So I would consider this to be more speed for the same price at the worst case scenario.

Post a Speedtest and Pingtest result from your friend's line here if you can. Also, tell us how much he's paying in total.

2529836463.png

He said It's suppose to be fibre @ 55euro, but I reckon it's the NGB 8MB.

http://pastebin.com/6eDtbTVs

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

At the moment I have a download speed of 1.4 megs on a line that comes direct from the local eircom exchange.
    I am situated about 4 mile from that exchange.Part of the route is underground with the other part overhead lines.I am not working off a cabinet.
    In the new fibre roll out i believe my line ...because its in a FTTC enabled exchange area, will have to be cabinised thus resulting in the e-side
    cable been put into a newly provided copper cabinet which will have a new fibre cabinet along side it. These cabs will be situated at the end of the underground about close to 2 miles from my house.
    This surely has to mean that seeing the distance now has decreased ie from 4 mile down to close to 2 that maybe my speed will rise ...not looking for miracles but something close to 8 megs would be nice.

mobil 222 wrote: »
    At the moment I have a download speed of 1.4 megs on a line that comes direct from the local eircom exchange.
    I am situated about 4 mile from that exchange.Part of the route is underground with the other part overhead lines.I am not working off a cabinet.
    In the new fibre roll out i believe my line ...because its in a FTTC enabled exchange area, will have to be cabinised thus resulting in the e-side
    cable been put into a newly provided copper cabinet which will have a new fibre cabinet along side it. These cabs will be situated at the end of the underground about close to 2 miles from my house.
    This surely has to mean that seeing the distance now has decreased ie from 4 mile down to close to 2 that maybe my speed will rise ...not looking for miracles but something close to 8 megs would be nice.

Quite a common issue this.

1. eircom may not cabinetise your bundle ( a 100 pair or 200 pair of e-sides serving a rural area, they may leave it as is, patched through to the exchange as now. The exchanges are not going away you know. :)
    2. If they do cabinetise the esides and place a VDSL cabinet beside that copper cabinet then they still have a choice. They can still leave you on the end of a 4 mile ADSL1 package launched in the exchange or change you to a 2 mile ADSL2 package launched off the cabinet, that should get you to around 7-8mbits on ADSL2.
    3. They will not offer you a VDSL package as I understand it, 2 miles is too long for all except LR-VDSL and that would deliver roughly ADSL2 performance at 2 miles.

Consequently they may simply do what they are good at, which is nothing.

Nobody knows what they will do for customers, connected or connectable to a cab, and unable to avail of high speed VDSL packages due to their still being 2 miles away and despite the fact that the cab can support ADSL2 and/or LR-VDSL as well. They did say in the past that they would not do 'long lines' around pilot announcement stage IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

My line is syncing at higher speed all of a sudden. It's now 7meg down and it was never above 5 before. Castlebar exchange. I wonder have they turned on the fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

irishgeo wrote: »
    My line is syncing at higher speed all of a sudden. It's now 7meg down and it was never above 5 before. Castlebar exchange. I wonder have they turned on the fibre?

My Sync rate is still the same at roughly 10Mbs, Castlebar exchange. You had me excited there at the taught of even a slight boost! :P

How far are you from the exchange and then the cab nearest you??

Might be the weather finally dried your line out sure. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

are there any maps available with the new fibre cabinet locations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

gordonnet wrote: »
    are there any maps available with the new fibre cabinet locations ?

No, You will just have to look out for a cab near your house

Hands up folks who has gotten in their car or walked around to find cabinets? It's exciting no? :)

I have seen or know of, 5 in Balbriggan. 0 in Balrothery :(

Praetorian wrote: »
    Hands up folks who has gotten in their car or walked around to find cabinets? It's exciting no? :)

I have seen or know of, 5 in Balbriggan. 0 in Balrothery :(

I was looking out for some near friends house in Drogheda :D

How far are you from the exchange and then the cab nearest you??

Might be the weather finally dried your line out sure. :D
    About 3 miles the nearest cab is I'd say 500m away.

do a tracert to eircom.net and post it here, will ya? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Was visiting the parents today in northern suburbs of Cork City. Spotted one of these new cabinets about 100m from their front door. They presently get about 3.5Mbps download with Eircom. Can they expect fibre sometime soon?

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Was visiting the parents today in northern suburbs of Cork City. Spotted one of these new cabinets about 100m from their front door. They presently get about 3.5Mbps download with Eircom. Can they expect fibre sometime soon?

Not any time soon, if you look at these dates:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/eircom-Fibre-Broadband/td-p/19450

You'd be looking at April or later for some of these to go live unless the launch date gets pushed back by Comreg.

No way you would get your 7mbits at 3 miles. I would be delighted to hear that they have started to move existing ADSL1 and ADSL2 customers over to the cabinets as they prepare for launch later this year. It would make a huge difference to many people, particularly those on urban fringes.

• Advertisement

line stats i should add i am with vodafone.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7800 kbps 670 kbps
    Line Attenuation 44.5 db 22.9 db
    Noise Margin 8.3 db 20.5 db

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php
    Approximate Distance 3222 meters
    ADSL Max Speed 6275 kbps
    ADSL2+ Max Speed 7388 kbps
    VDSL2 Max Speed kbps

traceroute test to eircom.net

1 51 ms 1 ms 1 ms x.x.x.x my router ip.
    2 35 ms 34 ms 34 ms 89.19.64.135