Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

red_bairn wrote: »
    Not any time soon, if you look at these dates:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/eircom-Fibre-Broadband/td-p/19450

You'd be looking at April or later for some of these to go live unless the launch date gets pushed back by Comreg.

I see my area i listed in phase 4 and there is a new cabinet installed in the last 2 weeks in my estate and i've spotted another one in the town. Should i become wildly optimistic??
    I might hold off on signing up to Sky broadband from Vodafone for a while to see what happens in the next months or two..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

irishgeo wrote: »
    line stats i should add i am with vodafone.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7800 kbps 670 kbps
    Line Attenuation 44.5 db 22.9 db
    Noise Margin 8.3 db 20.5 db

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php
    Approximate Distance 3222 meters
    ADSL Max Speed 6275 kbps
    ADSL2+ Max Speed 7388 kbps
    VDSL2 Max Speed kbps

traceroute test to eircom.net

1 51 ms 1 ms 1 ms x.x.x.x my router ip.
    2 35 ms 34 ms 34 ms 89.19.64.135
    3 34 ms 34 ms 35 ms 89.19.65.186
    4 35 ms 34 ms 34 ms 89.19.64.178
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms tenge-3-1-1.pe1.6cr.6cr-6cr.eircom.net [86.43.244.154]
    7 37 ms 36 ms 36 ms tenge-7-2-1.core1.bdt.core.eircom.net [86.43.255.89]
    8 36 ms 35 ms 35 ms tenge-1-2-1.pe1.crz.crz-crz.eircom.net [86.43.252.130]
    9 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms ge1-9.service3.cra.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.125.15]
    10 74 ms 189 ms 191 ms isp1.eircom.net [86.43.38.8]

Trace complete.

Nice ping. I get 70-80 ping to Eircom and I live in Greystones. :rolleyes:

Guide about Line Attenuation:
    http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=371

Yours is good. I think at home, we've got about 20 or so - will check when i get back later. What's your speed test on speedtest.net look like? smooth line on some of it?

Scruff wrote: »
    I see my area i listed in phase 4 and there is a new cabinet installed in the last 2 weeks in my estate and i've spotted another one in the town. Should i become wildly optimistic??
    I might hold off on signing up to Sky broadband from Vodafone for a while to see what happens in the next months or two..

What are your speeds and connection like? If solid, wait a few months to see the price wars begin when Eircom sells to the Wholesalers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ronan675

Scruff wrote: »

Same here? Oranmore in Galway has had new Cabs installed last week. It's a Phase 4 exchange... I really don't understand Eircom's roll-out strategy / schedule.

ronan675 wrote: »
    Same here? Oranmore in Galway has had new Cabs installed last week. It's a Phase 4 exchange... I really don't understand Eircom's roll-out strategy / schedule.

Well they would probably just setup the cabinets but not have the fibre lines sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

https://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=ie&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201776067979950014090.0004d691eecde70860401

90% of the work was done by boards user Vico1612,

Here are the cabinets we both found in Balbriggan so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

only another 40 or so to go then

arctan wrote: »
    only another 40 or so to go then

40 cabs? jebus. How do they work out a system of how many to put into cities or towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

what about cabinets in douglas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

Is there a way of collaborating on a map to show the position of cabinets throughout the country?

It would be useful for people to work out their distance from a cabinet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Technique wrote: »
    Is there a way of collaborating on a map to show the position of cabinets throughout the country?

Sure. First things first.

USE THIS MAP

http://goo.gl/maps/Yx7OV

Place a MARKER WHERE YOU FIND A CABINET ( THE BLUE BLOB TOP OF MAP, DOUBLE CLICK ON THE MARKER THEN DRAG AND DROP IT)

I'll do Galway as I get a chance. I've started Galway Anyway so zoom in an click on a few markers.

Name each marker after the exchange when you drag and drop it and release.

Shantalla Cabinet
    Mervue Cabinet
    Drogheda Cabinet
    Balbriggan Cabinet

And add a note in the Description field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Technique wrote: »

It would be useful for people to work out their distance from a cabinet.

IrelandOffline are working on something like this afaik.

I image all that's required are the lat/long positions of the cabinets and perhaps the exchange details. The mapping part is very easy.

www.irelandoffline.org or look in their forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60
    and create a thread there with the details.

Once as many cabinets as possible are mapped/located a global map can be easily produced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There's definitely work going on in the area of Cork City covered by the Wellington Road exchange at the moment.

I've seen quite a few contractors pulling either fibre or subducts through the eircom duct network over the last couple of weeks.
    No sign of any cabinets yet though, other than the existing 'traditional' junction boxes.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

USE THIS MAP

I've taken the standalone maps linked here already and included them in this "master" map

red_bairn wrote: »
    40 cabs? jebus. How do they work out a system of how many to put into cities or towns?

pretty much, where there's a cab, stick an NGA one beside it and loop it in ...

must get a picture of one point in Tallaght, 4 cabs, 4 NGA DSLAMs, all beside each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

Have we a definitive photo of what an eircom fibre cabinet looks like?

Don't want to be mixing them up with postboxes or water hydrants. :)

on the right

r1zy1d.jpg

on the right

r1zy1d.jpg

So we have a white cabinet, then the one on the left. What's the one on the left then? I thought that was the cabinet.

• Advertisement

were you in a pilot area ?

if not it may just be a normal two cabs beside each other... (note, pilot area FTTC, are big Alcatel and another manufacturer cabinets)

the right is the Huawei NGA cab (which will be rolled out nationwide)

the left is a regular Eircom High security cab

were you in a pilot area ?

if not it may just be a normal two cabs beside each other... (note, pilot area FTTC, are big Alcatel and another manufacturer cabinets)

the right is the Huawei NGA cab (which will be rolled out nationwide)

the left is a regular Eircom High security cab

Nah, Greystones ain't on a pilot. Yeh, well I though the cabinet was put in recently but according to Google maps the one near me is there since/past 2009.

most likely a regular cab

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

USE THIS MAP

Place a MARKER WHERE YOU FIND A CABINET ( THE BLUE BLOB TOP OF MAP, DOUBLE CLICK ON THE MARKER THEN DRAG AND DROP IT)

I'll do Galway as I get a chance. I've started Galway Anyway so zoom in an click on a few markers.

Name each marker after the exchange when you drag and drop it and release.

Shantalla Cabinet
    Mervue Cabinet
    Drogheda Cabinet
    Balbriggan Cabinet

And add a note in the Description field.

I added Ballincollig where I know exactly where is the box. I know there are a few more on the Main street to Cork direction, I will check the exact location and update the map.

chriss745 wrote: »
    I added Ballincollig where I know exactly where is the box. I know there are a few more on the Main street to cork direction, I will check the exact location and update the map.

Thanks Chris. Note the picture below. We are ONLY interested in the kind of cab with the big hinge shown on the right and not inn the kind of cab shown on the left.

r1zy1d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

By the way, there are definitely VDSL2 cabs being installed in the Drogheda AEH exchange area, as well as the main Drogheda exchange. The AEH area is smaller and covers something like less than 15 cabinets but with previous "next generation broadband" upgrades, they've worked on the two different exchanges at completely different times.

This might be relevant in other places, in that the FTTC rollout says one thing, but the work crews might work in nearby areas served by e.g. a Phase 4 exchange because it's convenient or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭allen175

Added the 2 cabs in raheny that i drive past everyday that i have seen, will look out for more

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Thanks Chris. Note the picture below. We are ONLY interested in the kind of cab with the big hinge shown on the right and not inn the kind of cab shown on the left.

Sure, I only added new VDSL cabs to the map. Here in Ballincollig almost all the old cabs got a new VDSL cab, too, I know only one or two exceptions. That's not too bad.

Here Eircom also already labelled up all the new cabs with a yellow label, all the cabs name starts with BNCxxx, I suppose BNC in Ballincollig's exchange short name in Eircom's system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

Not sure if this has been answered before (not coming up on the search) but is eircom going to use vectoring and/or pair bonding on its vdsl2 roll-out?

• Advertisement

chriss745 wrote: »
    Labelled up all the new cabs with a yellow label, all the cabs name starts with BNCxxx, I suppose BNC in Ballincollig's exchange short name in Eircom's system.

Exactly, you will know there are 20 in Ballincollig if you see BNC020 on a label. I'll try to get the asset tag numbers for the ones I saw over time.

Be handy if you label a cab as EG "Ballincollig Cabinet BNC020" and I can relabel the Shantalla and Mervue cabinets the same way.

Advertisement