Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

arctan wrote: »
    another 6500 odd .... that's without the new cabs to be put in when diverting direct distribution points

7500 cabs will support up to 1500000 odd VDSL customers by my reckoning, are they all 192 port units or will some of them be of smaller port density than 192 ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jasper1

Bob,
    You might want to double check your maths here
    Jasper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

I think they will all be 192

Get mapping Cabs in your area here

http://goo.gl/maps/Yx7OV

(instructions on left when map opens)[/QUOTE]

So far these are the exchanges where eircom has rolled out cabinets. I have BOLDED the ones where we have a few on the map already.

The ones that were NOT bolded are the important ones. Data is urgently required. Get mapping at the above link.

According to eircom there are 1000 of the things out there as of today and the map is 900 short of completion. ( mind you thats after 1 day :) )

Exchange County Phase Estimated Build Completion date
    DundrumDublinPilotFibre Services are now live.
    Priory ParkDublinPilotFibre Services are now live.
    SandyfordDublinPilotFibre Services are now live.
    WexfordWexfordPilotFibre Services are now live.
    BallybodenDublinPhase 1Complete
    CloneeMeathPhase 1Complete
    DonabateDublinPhase 1Complete
    DooradoyleLimerickPhase 1Complete
    DouglasCorkPhase 1Complete
    LetterkennyDonegalPhase 1Complete
    MervueGalwayPhase 1Complete
    PalmerstownDublinPhase 1Complete
    SwordsDublinPhase 1Complete
    TallaghtDublinPhase 1Complete
    BallinaMayoPhase 2Dec-12
    BallincolligCorkPhase 2Dec-12
    BelcampDublinPhase 2Dec-12
    BrayWicklowPhase 2Dec-12
    CastlebarMayoPhase 2Dec-12
    DroghedaDroghedaPhase 2Dec-12
    Dun LaoghaireDublinPhase 2Dec-12
    EnnisClarePhase 2Dec-12
    LimerickLimerickPhase 2Dec-12
    Quaker RoadCorkPhase 2Dec-12
    RathedmondSligoPhase 2Dec-12
    RochestownDublinPhase 2Dec-12
    ShantallaGalwayPhase 2Dec-12
    BalbrigganDublinPhase 3Apr-13
    Beggars BushDublinPhase 3Apr-13
    ChurchfieldCorkPhase 3Apr-13
    CoolockDublinPhase 3Apr-13
    Crown AlleyDublinPhase 3Apr-13
    Dolphins BarnDublinPhase 3Apr-13
    KilkennyKilkennyPhase 3Apr-13
    MullingarWestmeathPhase 3Apr-13
    NutleyDublinPhase 3Apr-13
    SligoSligoPhase 3Apr-13
    TraleeKerryPhase 3Apr-13
    Waterford CentralWaterfordPhase 3Apr-13
    WestportMayoPhase 3Apr-13
    Shannon TownClarePhase 4 June-13

AND ...well ahead of schedule it seems.

Arklow Wicklow Phase 4 Dec-13

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is all this new infrastructure for home customer's only or can businesses avail of it too? How would it compare to T lines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

LFCFan wrote: »
    Thanks Sponge Bob. I was pretty certain we were on the Drogheda Exchange but with the Colpe and Deepforde exchanges not being upgraded till 2014 I wanted to be sure. Anyway, with the speeds I am getting, my exchange is definitely further away than those 2 smaller exchanges!!

There is a cabinet installed in Grange Rath (Junction of Boulevard and Park Crescent). It has asset tag start CLXA?? If I recall correctly. The cabinet was installed last summer. I cannot believe Eircom would make that investment and then wait over 2 years to bring it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Mylow wrote: »
    There is a cabinet installed in Grange Rath (Junction of Boulevard and Park Crescent). It has asset tag start CLXA?? If I recall correctly. The cabinet was installed last summer. I cannot believe Eircom would make that investment and then wait over 2 years to bring it online.
    It's probably not a VDSL2 cabinet then! Can you share a photo of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I've added 3 to the Ballincollig Cabinets list. Don't know the code numbers yet, BNC something. Will pick them up the next time i'm walking the dog in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ill do the few i spotted in castlebar later.

neddynasty wrote: »
    I've added 3 to the Ballincollig Cabinets list. Don't know the code numbers yet, BNC something. Will pick them up the next time i'm walking the dog in the area.

Neddy, can you check the code on the cable cabinet near the VDSL cabinet too. I suspect that the two codes are linked and that VDSL codes are derived from the cable cabinet codes in effect.

Galway cabs are uncoded....that or the rain washed them off. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Kn networks on behalf of eircom have been working in Meadowvale estate in Arklow for the past bit.

They installed a new one of those green cabinets half of down the estate. There is an existing one at the top of the estate.

What purpose does the second cab serve?

Kn are doing works all over Arklow. Does the original launch date of Dec this year still stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Was just thinking about vectoring and how it will be implemented.
    Will operators be able install there own equipment in the cabs or will it just be eircom reselling slots ?
    Also how well will vectoring work if other lines are still using the likes of adsl2+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Kn networks on behalf of eircom have been working in Meadowvale estate in Arklow for the past bit.

They installed a new one of those green cabinets half of down the estate. There is an existing one at the top of the estate.

Kn are doing works all over Arklow. Does the original launch date of Dec this year still stand?

Hopefully they start making their way to Greystones :D

Take a picture of both cabs and put them up here.

red_bairn wrote: »

Hopefully they start making their way to Greystones :D

Take a picture of both cabs and put them up here.

Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Eircom are publicly saying it will be released April on twitter when you ask them.. so I don't know what the not launching til May comments are about?

Also, might get around to finding the Drogheda cabs if there's enough interest in me doing so? Not gonna do it just for the benefit of only me knowing. I do know that a large proportion of Drogheda will be included in the rollout including Grange Rath. Dublin Road should also benefit however I think they may only get up 24mb rather than the 50mb.

Anywhere that can get fibre will get a minimum of 7mb on their line as this is what is need for Eircom to launch a successful fibre tv service.

Meadowvale has its own miniexchange ( the grey cab at the entrance) I assume that grey cab will be swapped out for a green one or that it may be removed and reused elsewhere once the green one is activated in its place.

Thanks spongebob. Ill keep an eye on those cabinets.

Meadowvale currently only gets a slow 2mb due to distance from exchange. What's that likely to be when on fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Thanks spongebob. Ill keep an eye on those cabinets.

Meadowvale currently only gets a slow 2mb due to distance from exchange. What's that likely to be when on fibre?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html should give you a rough idea. Also, you wouldn't mind mapping the cabinet they're installing would you? I'm not in the town atm so can't check it out.

Nope the ADSL cabinet is the left hand box of the pair and the Exchange is the right hand box of the pair.

Neither has any decent backhaul is why you get 2mbits right now. :D

see them here > http://goo.gl/maps/v6nSW

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

• Advertisement

Vico1612 wrote: »

Hence the big push for Fibre and Mb minimum speeds. They will be the only company to offer mobile, home phone, broadband, and TV all in one bundle when it's out.

Will be an interesting few months in the market in my opinion and anyone who signs up with Sky/Vodafone etc at the moment would be crazy. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Hence the big push for Fibre and Mb minimum speeds. They will be the only company to offer mobile, home phone, broadband, and TV all in one bundle when it's out.

Will be an interesting few months in the market in my opinion and anyone who signs up with Sky/Vodafone etc at the moment would be crazy. :eek:

You'd wanna be on FTTH. I could see it being a struggle on FTTC with the amount of mobile devices increasing in the household and what about the gaming platforms struggling with online gaming! :eek:

red_bairn wrote: »
    You'd wanna be on FTTH. I could see it being a struggle on FTTC with the amount of mobile devices increasing in the household and what about the gaming platforms struggling with online gaming! :eek:

Shall see what way they go about it. It will be released for customers who have FTTC obviously as there is only one area covered with FTTH for now. Eircom will eventually update to FTTH but it's too costly to do at this time.

IMO if you're getting anywhere from 20mb+ you would have speeds fast enough for TV through the lines. As I said, let's see what they do but it's been in the pipeline for nearly six years so hopefully they get it right first time. :)

I'm excited, 2013 is a huge year for us in terms of broadband lines being updated 4G being introduced for mobiles etc. :D

UPC may sell mobile in a bundle before eircom do :D (obviously someone elses mobile as an MVNO)

4g will largely be marketing snakeoil, same as 3g was.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    UPC may sell mobile in a bundle before eircom do :D (obviously someone elses mobile as an MVNO)

4g will largely be marketing snakeoil, same as 3g was.

Maybe. Shall see what happens over the next few months anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Shall see what way they go about it. It will be released for customers who have FTTC obviously as there is only one area covered with FTTH for now. Eircom will eventually update to FTTH but it's too costly to do at this time.

IMO if you're getting anywhere from 20mb+ you would have speeds fast enough for TV through the lines. As I said, let's see what they do but it's been in the pipeline for nearly six years so hopefully they get it right first time. :)

I'm excited, 2013 is a huge year for us in terms of broadband lines being updated 4G being introduced for mobiles etc. :D

You work for Eircom?

7upfree wrote: »
    You work for Eircom?

If you're referring to my use of us; us means Irish consumers. :) No, I'm not employed by eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Don't get too excited...4G will be little better than 3G especially on loaded cell sites. It's more marketingware than a real thing

No, I'm not employed by eircom.

Hope you don't work in Marketing either. You know you can't actually make a simple phone call
    over 4G yet...don't you. Thats 'coming soon'..... perhaps in a year or two. :D

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Hope you don't work in Marketing either. :D

Why's that? :P And I don't either. :)

Advertisement