Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Shall see what way they go about it. It will be released for customers who have FTTC obviously as there is only one area covered with FTTH for now. Eircom will eventually update to FTTH but it's too costly to do at this time.

IMO if you're getting anywhere from 20mb+ you would have speeds fast enough for TV through the lines. As I said, let's see what they do but it's been in the pipeline for nearly six years so hopefully they get it right first time. :)

I'm excited, 2013 is a huge year for us in terms of broadband lines being updated 4G being introduced for mobiles etc. :D

Yeah, well I had IPTV in Korea and had no need for it due to the lack of channels with the auld English language. Nonetheless, I still used the laptop hooked up to the FTTH to download and watch blueray movies.

I've also been at a mates place where there were about 6 people on his wireless (all laptops) and i tried out a fast-paced fps game with no problems. People using YouTube and the likes. But I'm yet to see a network really being tested with a load of streaming going on. The way that mobile technology is going, we'll need more and more bandwidth. :D
    (Between my Dad, Mum and myself, we have 3 laptops, 3 smart phones and 1 kindle, and one wireless printer on the home network).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Vico1612 wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong here but people want and expect TV to just work, what happens when everyone in the estate is watching Man Utd on IP and taking down 2-3Megabit. Is the backhaul good enough to carry enough bandwidth at peak for reliable TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Sure. First things first.

USE THIS MAP

http://goo.gl/maps/Yx7OV

Place a MARKER WHERE YOU FIND A CABINET ( THE BLUE BLOB TOP OF MAP, DOUBLE CLICK ON THE MARKER THEN DRAG AND DROP IT)

I'll do Galway as I get a chance. I've started Galway Anyway so zoom in an click on a few markers.

Name each marker after the exchange when you drag and drop it and release.

Shantalla Cabinet
    Mervue Cabinet
    Drogheda Cabinet
    Balbriggan Cabinet

And add a note in the Description field.
    Added a few in Castlebar , ill add the rest over the otherside of the town when i get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Correct me if I'm wrong here but people want and expect TV to just work, what happens when everyone in the estate is watching Man Utd on IP and taking down 2-3Megabit. Is the backhaul good enough to carry enough bandwidth at peak for reliable TV?

Eircom are future proofing the cabinets to the point that they could run fiber to the home off the cabinets. So the back haul will be significant. There is no way Eircom would want to have to run additional fiber to each cabinet as soon as they start advertising HD IP service and people start watching 4k youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

just to avoid confusion ....

this is the Huawei NGA cabs that will be in place in an area that FTTC is being rolled out

33yon0k.jpg

(note: pilot areas have different cabs)

• Advertisement

cabs are fed by 2.5 gig fibre backhaul... upgradeable to 10 gig

you need 8 meg to watch IP TV, 192 people watching IPTV at the same time will equate to just over 1.5gigs a second, leaving 1 gig headroom for whatever everyone else is up to
    Hope you don't work in Marketing either. You know you can't actually make a simple phone call
    over 4G yet...don't you. Thats 'coming soon'..... perhaps in a year or two. biggrin.png

Meteor/O2 network share sites (Mosaic) have been upgrading since before Christmas to take 4G traffic, Vodafone also had a huge dark fibre project to upgrade the backhaul, Ericsson got the contract for the Vodafone sites and are hoping to start commissioning 4G sites from late spring/early summer onwards, with the aim of upgrading 2000 sites by early next year, huge project it is ! Meteor (Mosaic) have a similar timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

arctan wrote: »

you need 8 meg to watch IP TV, 192 people watching IPTV at the same time will equate to just over 1.5gigs a second, leaving 1 gig headroom for whatever everyone else is up to

Meteor/O2 network share sites (Mosaic) have been upgrading since before Christmas to take 4G traffic, Vodafone also had a huge dark fibre project to upgrade the backhaul, Ericsson got the contract for the Vodafone sites and are hoping to start commissioning 4G sites from late spring/early summer onwards, with the aim of upgrading 2000 sites by early next year, huge project it is ! Meteor (Mosaic) have a similar timeline

Thanks Arctan, there is obviously a good bit of bandwidth there. But still not nearly as much as I thought there would be.

Praetorian wrote: »
    Thanks Arctan, there is obviously a good bit of bandwidth there. But still not nearly as much as I thought there would be.

futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-real-life-or-just-fantasy-67544f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The only sensible way to run broadcast TV over IP is using multicast. Basically each channel is only ever streamed once to a DSLAM, which replicates that stream out to every modem/set-top-box that's currently watching that channel at that moment. In effect, if eircom offer a service with 100 channels, the maximum they'll ever end up streaming to that dslam is 100 streams.

In practice it will be significantly less, as most people don't have their TVs on most of the time (reducing the overall numbers watching a stream on a dslam in the first place) and most people also watch a handful of popular channels (rte 1/2, bbc1-4, utv, sky one..) so you could well end up with a cabinet of hundreds of TV subscribers never peaking at more than 10 TV streams being fed to it at any one time.

exactamundo ...

IPTV has actually been trailed in Eircom 3 times, so I think they'll have a good grasp of what and what not to expect

• Advertisement

exactamundo ...

IPTV has actually been trailed in Eircom 3 times, so I think they'll have a good grasp of what and what not to expect

They'd need to create IPTV box sets that would be hooked up to your router.

numerous boxes have been tested and are still being tested at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jeez Arctan, lighting a Lambda at late 1990s flavour 2.5g Coarse is rather unambitious and an upgrade path that does not relight the same channel at current 40/100g instead of later 1990s flavour 10g is positively scary. :cool:

Who on earth is leading this grand plan to implement 10 year old plus WDM backhaul standards. I know the 1990s era stuff is cheap but really, I say!!! ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Nope the ADSL cabinet is the left hand box of the pair and the Exchange is the right hand box of the pair.

Neither has any decent backhaul is why you get 2mbits right now. :D

see them here > http://goo.gl/maps/v6nSW

I suppose I can expect nothing to be done about the back haul as part of the fibre upgrade?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html should give you a rough idea. Also, you wouldn't mind mapping the cabinet they're installing would you? I'm not in the town atm so can't check it out.

Ok. So my mistake. Looks like the cabinet was always there, just some work done around it.

Cabinet pre works as per Google maps
    meadowvaleold_zps9822f784.jpg

Cabinet after works this week
    IMAG0534_zps1add2a5c.jpg

Mapped address:
    http://goo.gl/QznEs

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Neddy, can you check the code on the cable cabinet near the VDSL cabinet too. I suspect that the two codes are linked and that VDSL codes are derived from the cable cabinet codes in effect.

Galway cabs are uncoded....that or the rain washed them off. :D

Added in the codes for the 3 I know. BNC1 010A & BNC1 011A are new cabinets without an existing one next to it. BNC1 028A is new with an existing old green cabinet next to it. The old green cabinet doesn't have an identification on it unfortunately.

Cabinet after works this week

Mapped address:
    http://goo.gl/QznEs

Yep, that work is so they can drop in a VDSL cab onsite in the next few weeks. So Meadowvale is being upgraded same time as Arklow. :)

Jeez Arctan, lighting a Lambda at late 1990s flavour 2.5g Coarse is rather unambitious and an upgrade path that does not relight the same channel at current 40/100g instead of later 1990s flavour 10g is positively scary. :cool:

Who on earth is leading this grand plan to implement 10 year old plus WDM backhaul standards. I know the 1990s era stuff is cheap but really, I say!!! ???

2.5 to begin with, the paths are rated for much much higher and speed will be increased as needed

By illustration the Meadowvale estate in Arklow has an ADSL cabinet which is backhauled over an E3 or similar .......meaning that they all share about 34mbits and are limited to 2mbits max each.

The Meadowvale estate in Arklow will soon jump to VDSL which is backhauled over a CWDM Wavelenth meaning meaning that they all share about 2500mbits and are limited to 100mbits each...not that upgrading the backhaul in future is a major issue, involving swapping out 2 GBICS costing about €400 the pair. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I wonder though will they upgrade the backhaul on those older cabinets to give end users on ADSL their up-to 24mbit/s?

I'd assume they could just plug the older DSLAM cabinet into a better backhaul line over the new fibre too?

Or, will the new cabinet just take over completely? Seems a bit pointless offering customers such slow speeds on ADSL.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    I wonder though will they upgrade the backhaul on those older cabinets to give end users on ADSL their up-to 24mbit/s?

I'd assume they could just plug the older DSLAM cabinet into a better backhaul line over the new fibre too?

Or, will the new cabinet just take over completely? Seems a bit pointless offering customers such slow speeds on ADSL.

Slow speeds on ADSL caused by crappy backhaul is a national issue.

Some exchanges with DSL gear are SHARING a SPLIT E3 and have as little as 16mbits of backhaul each. Even though eircom tends not to sell a package any higher than 2mbits off them this is a crap service.

Sadly in many cases the alternative is a slow mobile EDGE service from Meteor. :(

Arklow is finally joining the first world this year and good luck to all concerned of course. :D

Arklow is finally joining the first world this year and good luck to all concerned of course. :D

Yeaaah! Finally. Just hope it happens in Dec this year as proposed! Not optimistic though

Well they should give 6 months notice of the launch date and as they have not it looks like September earliest for Arklow....not that Comreg appear overly concerned about enforcing their own rules when it comes to eircom.

It appears to me that Arlow could technically launch by the summer ......assuming that the proper notice period is mutually waivered by all the operators.

Neverthless expect door to door eircom salesmen to swarm all over you by Easter with their normal patter of sun moon stars and wonderfulness.

Tell them to shag off which is what I always do. :D

What is the problem with Limerick. ????

I see that the eircom rollout in Limerick/Shannon/Ennis is way behind the rest of the country....either that or nobody in Limerick/Shannon/Ennis knows what Google Maps is :(

Get mapping cabinets down there http://goo.gl/maps/Yx7OV ...assuming ye have any. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭allen175

Updated a few cabs around the raheny area

Well they should give 6 months notice of the launch date and as they have not it looks like September earliest for Arklow....not that Comreg appear overly concerned about enforcing their own rules when it comes to eircom.

It appears to me that Arlow could technically launch by the summer ......assuming that the proper notice period is mutually waivered by all the operators.

Neverthless expect door to door eircom salesmen to swarm all over you by Easter with their normal patter of sun moon stars and wonderfulness.

Tell them to shag off which is what I always do. :D

All sounds good. What speeds do you reckon Meadowvale could realistically achieve with fibre sponge_bob?

Oh, and ill avoid the reps turning up at least six months in advance of a product launching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Slow speeds on ADSL caused by crappy backhaul is a national issue.

Some exchanges with DSL gear are SHARING a SPLIT E3 and have as little as 16mbits of backhaul each. Even though eircom tends not to sell a package any higher than 2mbits off them this is a crap service.
    Sadly in many cases the alternative is a slow mobile EDGE service from Meteor. :(

Yeah, but I mean in the cases where eircom have used cabnetised remote subscriber statges like in the photo above, they've limited backhaul installed (due to lack of foresight probably). I was wondering if the VDSL cabinet's fancy new backhaul could also be used by the ADSL cabinet to give ADSL customers already online in that area better service too.

I'm sure at most it would just take an extra module on the rack in the grey cabinet... Hardly THAT complicated to do ?

Solair wrote: »
    . I was wondering if the VDSL cabinet's fancy new backhaul could also be used by the ADSL cabinet to give ADSL customers already online in that area better service too.

I'm sure at most it would just take an extra module on the rack in the grey cabinet... Hardly THAT complicated to do ?

It would be pointless, cheaper to replace old cab with new, backhaul and all.

Plenty of places in Wicklow they can relocate the old cab to thereafter and with the same crappy backhaul. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What i wouldnt give to spot one of these in Monasterevin :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

What is the problem with Limerick. ????

I see that the eircom rollout in Limerick/Shannon/Ennis is way behind the rest of the country....either that or nobody in Limerick/Shannon/Ennis knows what Google Maps is :(

Get mapping cabinets down there http://goo.gl/maps/Yx7OV ...assuming ye have any. :D

alright, alright, i was going to go around Ennis yesterday then I got lazy! This won't even affect me anyway, I'm 400m from the main exchange.

Ennis is a big enough town though, what do I do, go around each big estate and look for new cabinets?! There's loads of big estates around here.

Advertisement