Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

added a few cab to the north side of Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Cork981 wrote: »
    added a few cab to the north side of Cork City.

What is the area called? There seems to be a good few places mentioned for Cork, under the Phases.

Edit: I wonder what this will mean for the UK and Ireland:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/31689-sky-buys-telefonicas-uk/

:> Can Sky go Quad play? Be a contender in the auld telecoms?

EDIT2: Herb Hribar, CEO eircom Group Addresses IBEC CEO Conference

red_bairn wrote: »
    What is the area called? ?

All them cabs come from the churchfield exchange.

The order that they are working at is strange...Churchfield is at Phase III but Arklow is IV. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Re: the numbering systems ...... from what I've seen, all NGA cabs are the same number as the cab it's serving, except with the suffix A ...

eg:
    Rochestown cab 2 would be, ROC002 .. and the NGA cab ROC002_A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

red_bairn wrote: »
    What is the area called? There seems to be a good few places mentioned for Cork, under the Phases.

Edit: I wonder what this will mean for the UK and Ireland:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/31689-sky-buys-telefonicas-uk/

:> Can Sky go Quad play? Be a contender in the auld telecoms?

EDIT2: Herb Hribar, CEO eircom Group Addresses IBEC CEO Conference

O2 have a large home/business broadband operation in the UK using ADSL. Sky only purchased that. They did not purchase any O2 mobile assets or any O2 Ireland assets, so it will make absolutely no difference in Ireland nor will it mean anything for any quad-play services.

I assume Telefonica just wanted to get rid of the landline broadband services as they are increasingly less of a logical fit for them.

(Perhaps this needs its own thread?)

Audley Place is served by Wellington Road, not Churchfield.

Wellington Road is a pretty big exchange and covers McCurtain Street / Northern Quays, Patrick's Hill, area around St. Lukes / Collins Barracks, Montenotte, Mayfield, Ballyvolane, Tivoli, Silversprings and part of the Lower Glanmire Road. It also seems to hit the odd spot on the central island too weirdly enough.
    (phone numbers generally start with 021 450 or 455)
    It's pretty much exclusively covering urban North City / Northeastern suburbs. It extends to the east as far as the boundary with Glanmire's exchange and on the Westside seems to stop halfway through Blackpool.

Churchfield's local exchange covers most of the rest of the Northside and a wide rural area in the hinterland to the Northside of Cork City.

The Churchfield building's huge though because it also houses one of the two major tandem (regional nodes) exchanges for Cork. The other is Quaker Road. So, basically very large numbers of exchanges (right across the city and county and possibly beyond) all connect back to one or both of those exchanges. They also house equipment for major data connectivity etc etc.

I've seen a lot of fibre / duct pulling going on in the Wellington Road exchange area over the last few weeks, so it's good to hear that some cabs are starting to appear. I suspect they're well ahead of schedule.

That's Wellington Rd exchange : http://goo.gl/maps/cXjHo

Churchfield :

http://goo.gl/maps/g6VAq
    http://goo.gl/maps/EtbqM

As you can see, it's pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There's loads of big estates around here.
    Including 1 or 2 with Burnt-out houses. :D. I doubt the Co Co will cable them for bb.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Dublin south siders are too lazy / posh to get mapping also...;)

Get mapping! :)http://goo.gl/maps/Yx7OV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Alternative map link here, should work a bit faster for most people.

http://goo.gl/maps/aBy4H

So far about 1 in 6 cabs have beem found and mapped in only a few days.

None of Limerick and Waterford done yet and the Dublin southside is fairly cack too considering. Cork is really starting to look good though and all of north Cork City is covered by Wellington Road and Churchfield save for a bit around Boherboy so if you see one cab there are more. :D

This map here tells you the exchange area that the cab is located in.

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access ( tick the boxes top right especially exchange boundaries)

• Advertisement

Spotted one on Wellington Road just before the old hospice building. I'll map it later, on an iPhone at the moment so I can't seem to do it.

I suspect we'll see lots more popping up next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

We've two pages of cabinets now, is there any way to do folders for each town/district or something?

We've two pages of cabinets now, is there any way to do folders for each town/district or something?

Or at least format them as

say:

Dublin, Priory Park, Stillorgan Road
    Cork, Wellington Road, St Lukes X

There are going to be a hell of a lot of cabinets in urban areas.

Also, bear in mind that some of them seem to be linking to underground junctions so, there's no larger 2-door cabinet next to them. It's just a VDSL cab on its own.

Wait till we get to 500 and then we might look at a cleaner map solution integration like this one > http://irelandoffline.org/map/ ...which allows layer toggling.

For now there ain't quite enough cabinets/data points. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

If you're referring to my use of us; us means Irish consumers. :) No, I'm not employed by eircom.

We've got 100 meg UPC in our house already.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

7upfree wrote: »
    We've got 100 meg UPC in our house already.:)

300,000 people supposedly do. ;) There's another 360,000 on eircom that do not. And probably another 100,000 odd people who don't get any adequate service at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Anyone seen a cabinet in Balrothery yet? On the same exchange as Balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Alternative map link here, should work a bit faster for most people.

http://goo.gl/maps/aBy4H

So far about 1 in 6 cabs have beem found and mapped in only a few days.

None of Limerick and Waterford done yet and the Dublin southside is fairly cack too considering. Cork is really starting to look good though and all of north Cork City is covered by Wellington Road and Churchfield save for a bit around Boherboy so if you see one cab there are more. :D

This map here tells you the exchange area that the cab is located in.

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access ( tick the boxes top right especially exchange boundaries)

I've added 2 more which I've spotted in Letterkenny.

BTW, if you look at the map for Letterkenny, there's one which stands out as it's a few miles outside of town. I drove past today and it's definitely a fibre cabinet next to an ASDL cabinet. Is this normal to have a cabinet so far out on its own from the exchange? Should there be other cabinets between this one and the town? I've looked but I can't see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Technique wrote: »
    I've added 2 more which I've spotted in Letterkenny.

BTW, if you look at the map for Letterkenny, there's one which stands out as it's a few miles outside of town. I drove past today and it's definitely a fibre cabinet next to an ASDL cabinet. Is this normal to have a cabinet so far out on its own from the exchange? Should there be other cabinets between this one and the town? I've looked but I can't see any.
    The eircom yard is only half a kilometer from that pair at Lisnennan. Letterkenny was to have 30 cabinets at the outset but I suspect there are more. "Michael" is very busy updating everyones input to the map so it should be completed soon. There may be cabinets off the beaten track behind housing estates like Ard Colmcile and Muckish avenue. Listen lads it really dosent matter how many cabs we have if the damn things are still dark. April is the start date for Letterkenny. The lads are all trained so all we do is wait, and wait, and wait...:mad:

PeadarB wrote: »
    The eircom yard is only half a kilometer from that pair at Lisnennan. Letterkenny was to have 30 cabinets at the outset but I suspect there are more. "Michael" is very busy updating everyones input to the map so it should be completed soon. There may be cabinets off the beaten track behind housing estates like Ard Colmcile and Muckish avenue. Listen lads it really dosent matter how many cabs we have if the damn things are still dark. April is the start date for Letterkenny. The lads are all trained so all we do is wait, and wait, and wait...:mad:

Lurgybrack school is the one I was referring to.

• Advertisement

In 2009 there was a green cabinet ( lines only) at Lurgybrack NS

http://goo.gl/maps/AOOp2

Are you saying that a grey cabinet with vents on top was installed after that and that a new VDSL cabinet ( green with that highly visible 'hinge' like feature has also appeared there. ????

I can understand a second green VDSL cab alongside the first green cab ( plenty of fibre at Lurgybrack NS) but are you sure eircom put a DSL cabinet out there??

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Lurgybrack must be 3 to four miles from the main exchange. It may be that the schools have some prior arrangement. The ESB fibre link terminated at Lurgybrack but that is as far as they went. Surprising that they did'nt roll-out fibre themselves as they were very well positioned to do so - country wide.

Here is a cab is church field cork, I've noticed a few of them have red ducting like the attached picture going up the side of poles.
    What's the purpose of these ?

They need mains power, unlike the dumb green boxes beside them.

They need mains power, unlike the dumb green boxes beside them.

Thanks, not all cabs get power this way do they ?
    This is the first cab I've seen with an above ground power supply.

Would these cabs be populated yet ?

Most gear is inside yes, cheaper to make them in a factory than assembled onsite.

Power is normally underground in urban areas and these cabs are not metered, eircom pays flat rate electricity instead.

In 2009 there was a green cabinet ( lines only) at Lurgybrack NS

http://goo.gl/maps/AOOp2

Are you saying that a grey cabinet with vents on top was installed after that and that a new VDSL cabinet ( green with that highly visible 'hinge' like feature has also appeared there. ????

I can understand a second green VDSL cab alongside the first green cab ( plenty of fibre at Lurgybrack NS) but are you sure eircom put a DSL cabinet out there??

It's a pair of cabinets like the photo from a few pages back:

r1zy1d.jpg

OK, VDSL cabinet spotted in rural Ireland near Letterkenny shock horror. I must investigate what they have done west of Galway out in the nether reaches of the Shantalla exchange area when I get a chance :)

OK, VDSL cabinet spotted in rural Ireland near Letterkenny shock horror. I must investigate what they have done west of Galway out in the nether reaches of the Shantalla exchange area when I get a chance :)

You've set the seeds of doubt now. I going to have to drive to it tomorrow and take a photo.

• Advertisement

Good signs if they do more of these rural ones :D

Advertisement