Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    OK, VDSL cabinet spotted in rural Ireland near Letterkenny shock horror. I must investigate what they have done west of Galway out in the nether reaches of the Shantalla exchange area when I get a chance :)

The catch is though their towns not villages.

Letterkenny for example has a population of 20,000, not a small place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The catch is though their towns not villages.

Letterkenny for example has a population of 20,000, not a small place.

Considering he said "rural Ireland near Letterkenny" I assume he isn't talking about Letterkenny town itself. As far as I know that was part of phase 1 or 2 anyway so was gonna be one of the first places to get it. I assume he is talking about an area outside of the urban area which is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Will Eircom be selling on the fibre connection to other providers? Have just signed up to Smart broadband and there is a shiny new green cabinet across the road from me waiting to be activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Will Eircom be selling on the fibre connection to other providers? Have just signed up to Smart broadband and there is a shiny new green cabinet across the road from me waiting to be activated.

They'll be renting the lines to other wholesalers. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Considering he said "rural Ireland near Letterkenny" I assume he isn't talking about Letterkenny town itself. As far as I know that was part of phase 1 or 2 anyway so was gonna be one of the first places to get it. I assume he is talking about an area outside of the urban area which is very different.

Let me clarify a tad more.

MOST of the Letterkenny Exchange area is RURAL with an urban core which amounts to around 25% of the total area. I was commenting on the good news that the rollout is obviously not confined in its entirety to the purely urban part. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I know of a cabinet in Drogheda that serves maybe 140 lines, about 15 of which are less than a km away. It will be frustrating to see them provide a VDSL2 cabinet alongside it, and yet not allow it to be used for regular ADSL2 provision. It would make a great difference for the people going from 1 mbit to 2 mbit connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Is this a cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

dubmick wrote: »
    Is this a cabinet?

it's a cabinet ok just not a VDSL cabinet

bealtine wrote: »
    it's a cabinet ok just not a VDSL cabinet

thanks so it's still to be upgraded??

thanks so it's still to be upgraded??

If they are upgrading that area, they'll plonk another cab beside it. You can see the pictures a few pages back that show a new VDSL cab beside a regular cab (ADSL).

• Advertisement

Thanks, on the Balbriggan exchange and supposed to ready by Easter. Does not look likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Thanks, on the Balbriggan exchange and supposed to ready by Easter. Does not look likely.

Where in Balbriggan are you ?
    Check out the map of the existing cabinets
    http://goo.gl/maps/aBy4H

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

What exactly is the box on the left supposed to be? I've seen a few of them around since they started installing.

Eircom also provides a grey cabinet ...they have been used over the past 5 or 6 years.
    Where they need to cabinize the 'direct E-SIDE' they are going back to using the original green cab

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Technique wrote: »
    I've added 2 more which I've spotted in Letterkenny.

BTW, if you look at the map for Letterkenny, there's one which stands out as it's a few miles outside of town. I drove past today and it's definitely a fibre cabinet next to an ASDL cabinet. Is this normal to have a cabinet so far out on its own from the exchange? Should there be other cabinets between this one and the town? I've looked but I can't see any.

Outside sligo town on the Donegal road at a place called Rathcormac they have placed a fibre cab beside the original copper one....this is located about 4 mile from sligo.

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Where in Balbriggan are you ?
    Check out the map of the existing cabinets

Thanks for this.

Balrothery, not a VDSL cabinet in sight. Even had a spin around the area today. Plenty of cabinets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Alternative map link here, should work a bit faster for most people.

So far about 1 in 6 cabs have beem found and mapped in only a few days.

None of Limerick and Waterford done yet and the Dublin southside is fairly cack too considering. Cork is really starting to look good though and all of north Cork City is covered by Wellington Road and Churchfield save for a bit around Boherboy so if you see one cab there are more. :D

This map here tells you the exchange area that the cab is located in.

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access ( tick the boxes top right especially exchange boundaries)

Added just a couple in Limerick City - Dooradoyle and Mount Kenneth.
    Can't remember the exact locations for all the others, but I'll note them when I'm out and about tomorrow. No point putting in any slightly incorrect ones.

btw lads, currently get 4mb down on NGB and my VDSL cabinet will be 100 metres from my house. What sort of speeds should expect to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

btw lads, currently get 4mb down on NGB and my VDSL cabinet will be 100 metres from my house. What sort of speeds should expect to get?

What you get now is irrelevant because data travels at the speed of light through fiber. You should get around 150 Mb if you're only 100 meters from your nearest cabinet.

With fiber, distance is irrelevant. It's the copper that slows things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

What you get now is irrelevant because data travels at the speed of light through fiber. You should get around 150 Mb if you're only 100 meters from your nearest cabinet.

With fiber, distance is irrelevant. It's the copper that slows things down.

FTTC will bring speeds of up to 70mb not 150. The latter would be for FTTH. :(

FTTC will bring speeds of up to 70mb not 150. The latter would be for FTTH. :(

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

red_bairn wrote: »

See attachment. I'm only going by what I've seen.

http://www.fibrepilot.ie/faqs#q5

EDIT: I could be wrong though too as I've read elsewhere it's 70mb and this website says 50mb.

See attachment. I'm only going by what I've seen.

http://www.fibrepilot.ie/faqs#q5

EDIT: I could be wrong though too as I've read elsewhere it's 70mb and this website says 50mb.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Phase_5/

See here they say 70 but technically they'll be able to go up to 100 after vectoring.

red_bairn wrote: »
    See here they say 70 but technically they'll be able to go up to 100 after vectoring.

They will start with 70 but with Vectoring post 2015 and also with PAIR BONDING ( most houses have two copper pairs and half of eircoms lines are not used so everyone could easily have two lines of their own in time) I would reckon they can sweat the copper to 200mbits by the end of this Decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

If you're referring to my use of us; us means Irish consumers. :) No, I'm not employed by eircom.
    So are you a PR flunkie or Irish "technology" journalist? :) Some of us tend to be rather cynical about Eircom pronouncements and claims but the Irish "technology" journalists are easy enough to spin with a simple press release printed on drool proof paper. What may well be about to happen is that Eircom tries to roll out their new service and UPC will nuke them by upping the basic bandwidth in the core urban markets.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I wonder how will Eircon decide who will get FTTC and who will get the better FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Probably no FTTH at first, then based on profits at a later date they'll service houses within a radius of cabs, then waiting for more money and at an even later date they'll finally do entire urban areas (assuming they haven't gone under altogether by then:rolleyes:). I do hope Eircom or somebody ups the ante with speeds, areas without UPC ( or even basic DSL for that matter) are more or less fecked at the moment, the Three connection back at home is completely dead with contention until 2am nowadays:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Does anyone know when eircom will start selling the phase 2 fibre broadband?

Akrasia wrote: »
    Does anyone know when eircom will start selling the phase 2 fibre broadband?

Eircom are only selling the fibre connections to the pilot areas at the moment.

I wonder how will Eircon decide who will get FTTC and who will get the better FTTH?

Simple, nobody outside Wexford and perhaps on inner city exchanges in Phase 4 will get fibre. FTTH ( if even deployed) will be reserved for areas like central Galway City ( HPO Exchange) where there are no cabinets and the streets and especially the pavements are narrow and all the D Sides are launched into rather full ducts from inside a hole in the ground beside Oscar Wilde.

Even then they may put the VDSL units into racks inside the exchange only 50 away. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I remember reading an eircom document saying that Swords would get FTTH in very limited areas. I think it would be exclusively kept to the Main street area given how close it is to the exchange. But the exact FTTH area wasn't specified.

Advertisement