Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Get mapping Cabs in your area here

http://goo.gl/maps/Yx7OV

(instructions on left when map opens)

So far these are the exchanges where eircom has rolled out cabinets. I have BOLDED the ones where we have a few on the map already.

The ones that were NOT bolded are the important ones. Data is urgently required. Get mapping at the above link.

According to eircom there are 1000 of the things out there as of today and the map is 900 short of completion. ( mind you thats after 1 day :) )

Exchange County Phase Estimated Build Completion date

DooradoyleLimerickPhase 1Complete

LimerickLimerickPhase 2Dec-12
    [/QUOTE]

Where would I find them? I can have a look in Dooradoyle, but would it be near a main road or something? I know where the exchange is in Raheen, would it be close to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Mc Love wrote: »
    Where would I find them? I can have a look in Dooradoyle, but would it be near a main road or something? I know where the exchange is in Raheen, would it be close to this?

You'll find them near large housing estates or institutions (schools).

Ok I will take a look tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mc Love wrote: »
    Ok I will take a look tomorrow

The box with the big 'hinge' feature on the right ( below) is what to look for and map. Thanks for kicking Limerick off for us. Sligo Ennis and Waterford coming soon I hope. :)

r1zy1d.jpg

I just briefly skimmed over the thread and the last couple of pages, but what does adding these boxes to the map mean?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

red_bairn wrote: »
    Eircom are only selling the fibre connections to the pilot areas at the moment.

Yeah, but has there been any information on when they will be launching the phase 2 fiber broadband?
    I'm in Ennis and I'm not tied to a contract with my current supplier and I want to know if it's worth my while waiting to see what services are going to be available when Fiber is launched before I commit to signing another 12 month contract with a different supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

fibre, the plan is..... actually the plan keeps changing but eircom have announced that they want to offer fibre broadband from mid april 2013, cant remember the exact date but apparently there is some ruling somewhere that eircom have to give the other operators 6 months notice before fibre is launched. COMREG have written to the other operators asking for any objections to EIRCOM launching in MAY 2013!!

The idea of fibre is faster speeds, up to 70mbs at the moment but that is if you are right next to the cabinet. So in your case have you seen the new green fibre broadband cabinets and how far are you from it.

We should hear in next few weeks so my advice is wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thanks for your reply.

If it's gonna launch in April/May then I'll definitely wait. I don't think I'm too far away from a cabinet where I am. I don't really care about the actual speed of the broadband, I've always found the ADSL service adequate, it's the silly download allowances that really annoy me. From the other fiber products available in Ireland, I presume that they won't have ridiculous download limits as standard on the basic packages.

We're paying almost 60 quid a for a reasonable download allowance (damn you netflix) and that's just too expensive

Lads I saw the photo of the green boxes above and kept an eye out for them. There's two of the blighters literally across the road from me....about a sixty second walk away. Now God knows how long they've been there. They're the kind of things you wouldn't notice unless specifically looking out for them.

green_8_1.jpg

I'm in Rosbrien in Limerick. Are these the fibre babies? Should I be happy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes and yes.

Assuming your line is connected to this cab, then given the distance, you should get very good speeds (close to 70mb).

However despite the proximity it is always possible that your line doesn't go here, instead going in the opposite direction, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

ok, the one on the right is the NEW fibre one, and the one on the left(sounds like a song) is the OLD copper lines. The idea is fibre from the new green one goes back to the exchange and then when you opt for fibre they will run the copper from the old cab to the new = simples.

gbc

Lads I saw the photo of the green boxes above and kept an eye out for them. There's two of the blighters literally across the road from me....about a sixty second walk away. Now God knows how long they've been there. They're the kind of things you wouldn't notice unless specifically looking out for them.

http://omg.wthax.org/green_8_1.jpg

Where abouts in Rosbrien are you? Can you update the map with the location, this might even be closer to Dooradoyle (I am in Ballyclough) and stuck on woeful 2 MB at times, and it does be awfully slow.

http://goo.gl/maps/hFCn1

Yup checked Street View and the one on the left is an old one it seems:

http://goo.gl/maps/RR5yd

@McLove: above should answer your question I hope!

ah right that is a good bit further than I thought. Is that Rosbrien too? Never knew that! That must be the LimerickLimerick box unless they have another one planned for the Castletroy area.

The posh people call it "Rosbrien" while the less affluent call it "Prospect". :D Sorry if your hopes were dashed! Hope you get sorted. Being a long time Eircom customer I know better than to get too carried away.

Found "one or two" in Raheen/Dooradoyle :)

And updated the map with the cabs I have found

Good God! Nice work!

Was really surprised to see two right beside each other!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just added one there for Sligo. I noticed KN networks doing some work in a few places around Sligo months ago (I assumed it's for Eircom) so I'll check those places out tomorrow and see if there are any new cabinets installed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interestingly in Dublin 9 the old style cabs have a notice for planning permission on them for new cabs to be installed at the marked location next to the existing cab. There is then two yellow boxes marked out on the ground a meter or two away.

I assume this is for the new VDSL cabs.

Interestingly at one location there are two yellow boxes marked out on wide side of the street (next to the existing cab) and then another two marked out literally directly across the road!!

Seems like a lot of cabs and dslams for dense urban area.

To be honest, it could end up being a bit of an eyesore, with that many cabs in a dense area they should really thinking about going FTTH, specially since it is already a heavily UPC 150mb/s area, with lots of cable TV take up (very few Sky dishes or aerials around).

Dare I ask do we have any kind of idea what prices Eircom will be charging? Will they do a UPC and keep prices more or less the same? Apologies if this has been asked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Dare I ask do we have any kind of idea what prices Eircom will be charging? Will they do a UPC and keep prices more or less the same? Apologies if this has been asked before.

I don't think anybody is too sure. It will probably end up being leaked before launch anyway like everything these days. :pac:

bk wrote: »
    Interestingly in Dublin 9 the old style cabs have a notice for planning permission on them for new cabs to be installed at the marked location next to the existing cab. There is then two yellow boxes marked out on the ground a meter or two away.

Interestingly at one location there are two yellow boxes marked out on wide side of the street (next to the existing cab) and then another two marked out literally directly across the road!!

To be honest, it could end up being a bit of an eyesore, with that many cabs in a dense area they should really thinking about going FTTH, specially since it is already a heavily UPC 150mb/s area, with lots of cable TV take up (very few Sky dishes or aerials around).

Sounds good but I wish they'd do the same here in Greystones soon. How long are those notices up for? 1 month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

bk wrote: »

The FTTH cabs are even bigger, so are UPC's cabs.
    UPC's cabs here in Cork are typically now a large green box about twice the size of the older eircom green cabs for junctions and there are amplifier cabs scattered around the place too which are about half the size of a VDSL cab, some are the same size as a VDSL cab. Those have been around for decades though, nothing new. I think in Dublin NTL used to screw huge amps to the sides of houses (not too pretty either)

Regardless of whether it's FTTC with VDSL2 (Eircom) or FTTC with DOCSIS (UPC) or FTTH (fibre to home) it's going to require cabinets.

UPC Amplifier node in Cork : http://url.ie/h1k4 - you'll find these all over the place. (the old amplifier nodes)

A few hundred meters up the road : http://url.ie/h1k6 (distribution amplifier (the one with the vents), the grey box is basically a stack of batteries for UPS and possible fibre DOCSIS gear (not sure but possibly just power) and the small green one is probably ESB power for the installation.

There are then much bigger FTTC nodes where the UPC fibre feeds into the coaxial networks.

Eircom FTTH cabinet : http://i41.tinypic.com/118k5rt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

KN working in Wicklow Town this evening pulling Fibre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Do people reckon Eircoms fibre will come with decent usage limits or even unlimited to compete with SKY/UPC. I remember the trial packages that they had on their site where 25mb fibre had a monthly usage limit of 100GB which is ridiculous and I won't be moving unless its 300-500GB minimum. 100GB just doesn't cut it in this day in age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

iMuse wrote: »
    Do people reckon Eircoms fibre will come with decent usage limits or even unlimited to compete with SKY/UPC. I remember the trial packages that they had on their site where 25mb fibre had a monthly usage limit of 100GB which is ridiculous and I won't be moving unless its 300-500GB minimum. 100GB just doesn't cut it in this day in age.

Their "up to 24Mb" package currently has a 500 GB limit.

iMuse wrote: »

Having a limit sucks but I couldn't see a household hitting over 100GB unless you are downloading many torrents or you are on the IPTV...which might not even hit a greater amount than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Solair wrote: »

Eircom FTTH cabinet : http://i41.tinypic.com/118k5rt.jpg

wrong, that's an Eircom Alcatel Lucent FTTC cab working off Dundrum and was installed as part of the pilot rollout

Advertisement