Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

red_bairn wrote: »
    Having a limit sucks but I couldn't see a household hitting over 100GB unless you are downloading many torrents or you are on the IPTV...which might not even hit a greater amount than that.
    a redownload of steam games will easily hit 500Gig+, thats not to say that would be a regular thing, but there are a lot of legit uses that would easily require a few 100Gig, Max Payne 3 is around 35gig download.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

2 people using Netflix and downloading steam games will punch thru 250gbs no problem, I get 250gbs "unlimited" on the 8Mb package at the moment, if its not at least that then Eircom would be shooting themselves in the feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

lmimmfn wrote: »
    a redownload of steam games will easily hit 500Gig+, thats not to say that would be a regular thing, but there are a lot of legit uses that would easily require a few 100Gig, Max Payne 3 is around 35gig download.

Yeah. Fair enough. Maybe they could be an app I could make later in my course ^^ find the download usage for the Eircom customer...or Eircom would set it up on their statements. ;)

2 people using Netflix and downloading steam games will punch thru 250gbs no problem, I get 250gbs "unlimited" on the 8Mb package at the moment, if its not at least that then Eircom would be shooting themselves in the feet!

I think their unlimited packages now have a FUP of 500GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Having a limit sucks but I couldn't see a household hitting over 100GB unless you are downloading many torrents or you are on the IPTV...which might not even hit a greater amount than that.

IPTV's becoming very common place very quickly, and it will definitely push people over their limits.

There are now tens of thousands of Sky On Demand capable set-to-boxes and lots of Smart TVs out there, not to mention various game consoles and other devices that can all stream TV.

• Advertisement

arctan wrote: »
    wrong, that's an Eircom Alcatel Lucent FTTC cab working off Dundrum and was installed as part of the pilot rollout

In that case, the Huawei solution's a hell of a lot less ugly!

The fibre still requires pretty serious distribution / aggregation cabinets though. None of these technologies are lacking in bulky cabinets.

Incidentally, there are some micro-cabinet solutions that can be installed underground / up poles for FTTC in less dense areas.

http://www.ecitele.com/OurOffering/Products/Pages/MiniCab-64V.aspx

Stuff like that could easily be deployed in Ireland in rural housing estates / areas with small numbers of homes that need higher speeds.

Solair wrote: »

IPTV's becoming very common place very quickly, and it will definitely push people over their limits.

There are now tens of thousands of Sky On Demand capable set-to-boxes and lots of Smart TVs out there, not to mention various game consoles and other devices that can all stream TV.

Yeah. I mentioned this a few pages back. I had IPTV and my laptop on the the set box on a ftth connection. In a normal home with a large family you'll have plenty of devices that'll be needing a fair bit of bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The green cab on the left looks new. At the entrance to Meadowvale, Arklow.
    No sign of a cab further down the estate yet.

IMAG0536_zpsc70f5503.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Solair wrote: »

IPTV in the form of RTE Player etc has been popular for years...but it streams at 512k or so. Netflix and its ilk will bang out HD ( they say) at speeds of 5mbits minimum and as an average movei lasts 90mins that means about 2.5Gigabytes an hour at 5mbits. If the product is capped at 500Gb that is 200 hours a month of Netflixing at 5mbits. If you are going through an SD box set at 3 hours a night it will come in at less.

(I personally feel you need at least 10mbits for any form of high motion HD over IP so halve those figures and Netflix have announced an initiative called Netflix Open Connect (where they will stream 'Super HD' or 3D ) from a box down the old exchange that they supply to the ISP )

But Netflix and Youtube already account for a huge amount of total traffic in Ireland. Perhaps 50% between them. STRICTLY speaking they are not IPTV but rather VOD. :)

I was on this package Qook TV by the internet provider KT.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohWC7BM07JQ

IPTV BOX & CAT5 cable from box to apartment (FTTH):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Hi All

Broadband, iptv and phone will be on different vlans, so eircom can push cap on broadband only and not counting iptv and phone.

More cabinets being dropped in this morning in the Wellington Road exchange area in Cork.
    Just spotted and mapped one at Military Road (Military Hill).

If anyone's around the area, maybe check out the map link ( http://goo.gl/maps/Yx7OV ) and pop in some more if you spot them.

They seemed to be doing serious ground works at Dillon's Cross and pulling fibre too.
    There was also fibre being pulled at the Lower Glanmire Road / lower part of Tivoli late last week, so I assume cabs will start to appear around Tivoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

My upload usage alone last month was over 250GB, the previous month over 200GB. I don't upload any torrents or the like.
    Just goes to show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

roast wrote: »
    My upload usage alone last month was over 250GB, the previous month over 200GB. I don't upload download torrents or the like.
    Just goes to show...

Fixed your post.

Fixed your post.

Nope, I meant what I said. :pac:

My upload usage alone last month was over 250GB, the previous month over 200GB. I don't upload any torrents or the like.
    Just goes to show...

How did you find out these figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Yeh there highest package is 500gb went over last month by 40gb and got charged 16 euro,Rang them up to ask for a higher usage they said it's not available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Nope, I meant what I said. :pac:

You wouldn't exceed a download cap with Eircom's DSL upload speeds. My upload speed maxes out at 70 kB/s and I seed torrents 24/7, I never go above 100 GB upload with it - that's why I assumed you meant download.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

So how will a Fiber rollout help most people who can only get low set speeds between their house and their exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

KoKane wrote: »
    So how will a Fiber rollout help most people who can only get low set speeds between their house and their exchange?

it brings the "exchange" closer to the cabinet on the street near them therefore reducing the length of copper lines used and therefore lowering the noise.

Old way
    House ===== copper lines ======= Exchange

New Way

House == copper lines === Cabinet ---- Fiber
    Exchange.

• Advertisement

It's basically making the whole concept of 'the exchange' a bit redundant other than for old-fashioned voice services.

For DSL, 'The Exchange' is now basically the cabinet near your house. The old exchange just becomes an aggregation site / big router where all these cabinets connect back to.

Effectively they're locating part of the exchange in the cabinet and connecting it back over a fibre.

Think of the cabinet as a mini-exchange (for DSL only).

Eircom's actually used cabinet-based exchanges for quite some time where they wanted to avoid running lots of long lines to a new housing development etc (using older slower tech). The concept's not new or innovative. It's just very handy for providing high-speed data.

Also, this kind of equipment's getting smaller, cheaper and more robust so it's much easier to locate it in a cabinet. If you went back 10+ years, locating this kind of gear in a cabinet would have been quite challenging.

How did you find out these figures?

Server monitoring. That and UPC also display previous months usage on their website now.

NEW VDSL CABINET MAP LINK

http://goo.gl/maps/gzSOT

Instructions on left.
    Press edit
    Drop in Cab marker

Name it (EG)

Wellington Road Cabinet

On corner of Blaa Walk and Drisheen Lane

PRESS SAVE
    PRESS DONE

Does anyone know how to get over the 200 marker display limit because a lot of marked cabinets don't appear as they are on page 1 ...eg the Galway and Arklow ones or Limerick which is all on page 2 ????

EDIT I have a VIEW ONLY map of all markers up to 06 March Linked Below . This is not editable but it shows you whether the cabinet is already mapped and in one place.

Check the one below before you add using the link above. Thanks.

http://goo.gl/maps/r8LEb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

I can click on map but I cant for the life of me see a red edit button!! do i need to sign in or something? using chrome.
    I am clicking on the first link.
    gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I can click on map but I cant for the life of me see a red edit button!! do i need to sign in or something? using chrome.
    I am clicking on the first link.
    gbc

You need to be signed in.

I have anonymised all the data so far ( all markers appear added by me now) and will do so regularly to remove contributor details.

Could someone please put Churchfield, Templeacre Road back in again?
    It appears to have been dragged (not by me!) way over to nearly Wellington Road when it's several KM away.
    I have deleted it as I have no idea where the cabinet actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've added a couple in Bray I know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

added a few in ennis

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I've added a couple in Bray I know about.

I'm surprised there are none alone the Southern Cross...wonder if they are hidden further in the housing estates. There must be a good few in Bray by now. I saw them rolling out the fibre along the Southern Cross one day.

Advertisement