Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Weather dependent, I will be doing a bit of reconnaissance in the Drogheda region on Sunday so I can add a few cabinets to the existing footprint.

EDIT: And from what I've read, eircom are awaiting a decision from Comreg on whether they can launch on the 8th April? Will probably be pushed back as usual though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Weather dependent, I will be doing a bit of reconnaissance in the Drogheda region on Sunday so I can add a few cabinets to the existing footprint.

EDIT: And from what I've read, eircom are awaiting a decision from Comreg on whether they can launch on the 8th April? Will probably be pushed back as usual though.

Yeah, ComReg have given some time for operators to reply back to them whether it's ok for Eircom to go live in April.

Let me know if you see any around near Cross Lane or that general area. I've a mate living out in Whitethorn Park where he's paying for 8MB and getting 2MB. So a hike in performance would be great for him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Solair wrote: »
    Could someone please put Churchfield, Templeacre Road back in again?
    It appears to have been dragged (not by me!) way over to nearly Wellington Road when it's several KM away.
    I have deleted it as I have no idea where the cabinet actually is.

Will fix it now, was wondering what happened my local cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Added a few more of the Mullingar ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

COMREG have stipulated a reply by 28th February 2013 and then they, COMREG will decide!!! Its no wonder eircom are not falling over themselves to get FIBRE up and running. The term used is NGA by the way, I thought this was rolled out a few years ago!!

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    Yeah, ComReg have given some time for operators to reply back to them whether it's ok for Eircom to go live in April.

Let me know if you see any around near Cross Lane or that general area. I've a mate living out in Whitethorn Park where he's paying for 8MB and getting 2MB. So a hike in performance would be great for him. :D

Unfortunately a lot of the Dublin Rd are of Drogheda are in the same boat because the main exchange is in the town and they're on the outskirts per se resulting in c.2mb speeds around the area. Funny thing is there's an exchange less than 1km away in a new housing estate.

Looking at the map the cabinets along the Dublin Rd give an indication their speed will dramatically increase. I'm wondering how good mine will be, my line is 15mb and I'm on the 8mb bundle as I can't justify paying another tenner to increase up to about 12mb.

However, if the weather is anything like today I'll be giving it a miss. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I give up on that stupid google map, tried 3 times to add 2 cabinets saved, clicked done and still wouldnt save if i opened it in a new window.
    Added a few more of the Mullingar ones
    If you got it working, theres 2 more to be added for mullingar, 1 opposite the entrance to Ardilaun Green and the other on the right on the entrance to Ardleigh Vale.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm surprised there are none alone the Southern Cross...wonder if they are hidden further in the housing estates. There must be a good few in Bray by now. I saw them rolling out the fibre along the Southern Cross one day.
    There probably are but I don't live around there so haven't really noticed.

I did see an eircom team with their 'tent' working on a cabinet near the roundabout at the Bray Head end of the Southern Cross a couple of days ago though. Next time I drive by I'll take a closer look.

Was up til all hours last night reading up on this through various documents from the wholesale site etc. and a lot of it would be gibberish to me at first glance. However, from what I could understand because they are releasing IPTV, rather than have the speeds of up to 70mb there will be a static speed instead with profiles up to 50mb depending on how far the cabinet is away from you.

So the highest profile (max 200m distance) is 50 down and 5-16 up, whereas the lowest profile (max 1000m distance) is 18 down and 2.5-7 up. I could be wrong as I'm fairly new to this all, but it appears that this will be the case because a stable speed is required for IPTV?

Whereas if it was rate adaptive the highest profile would be 70 down and 20 up and the lowest would be 18-25 down and 5 up.

Was up til all hours last night reading up on this through various documents from the wholesale site etc. and a lot of it would be gibberish to me at first glance. However, from what I could understand because they are releasing IPTV, rather than have the speeds of up to 70mb there will be a static speed instead with profiles up to 50mb depending on how far the cabinet is away from you.

So the highest profile (max 200m distance) is 50 down and 5-16 up, whereas the lowest profile (max 1000m distance) is 18 down and 2.5-7 up. I could be wrong as I'm fairly new to this all, but it appears that this will be the case because a stable speed is required for IPTV?

Whereas if it was rate adaptive the highest profile would be 70 down and 20 up and the lowest would be 18-25 down and 5 up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭allen175

Link to register your interest is online

http://www.eircom.net/efibre/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

allen175 wrote: »

applied :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You mean back online :D It was up prematurely and taken down a week or two back. Comreg must be letting them launch in April so ...expect Comreg decision notice later today ...they tend to poke them lads out at a minute past 5 of a friday.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You mean back online :D It was up prematurely and taken down a week or two back. Comreg must be letting them launch in April so ...expect Comreg decision notice later today ...they tend to poke them lads out at a minute past 5 of a friday.

Just sent me Daddy an email with the link :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

so May 20th. :/

Idiots! :eek:

I understand where the other operators are coming from when saying that ComReg should stick bu it's original decision. eircom believe the service is ready and Vodafone, Sky, BT, and ALTO believe that eircom haven't given them enough time for testing and still feel that May 20th is too ambitious of a date for launch.

eircom argue "eircom should not be allowed to suffer the commercial damage that a delay would bring." Speaking about the other operators "Each of them has a specific quantifiable commercial self-interest in delaying the development of NGA services. None of these operators agreed to participate in the original pilot of NGA services in 2011."

In fairness, all operators should have agreed to take part in the trial, no?

sky have the cheek to object. And none of the blighters are contributing to the 400m cost! Talk about having your cake and eating it! If eircom could find in itself the expertise and desire to make this work properly I for one would jump at the chance to give the 2 fingers to those other leechers.

6 months notice and after 4 months they are not ready and did not even enter the trial, makes my blood boil.

I bet they just sit on their hands let eircom do all the donkey work and then step in with an apparent lower offering.

They should all be charged a fee for joining the NGA FIBRE network.

Could be a big winner for EIRCOM. I wonder how much will appear in the press??

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    sky have the cheek to object.

6 months notice and after 4 months they are not ready and did not even enter the trial, makes my blood boil.

Sky made the point that IF they joined the trial they would also ACCEPT eircoms right to launch on 08 April too....even if the trial proved that eircoms processes and procedures and API for ordering and fault maintenance and line tuning was proven not to work during the trial.

It strikes me that eircom must offer a genuine non disrcriminatory trial first and even then there is no guarantee of a May 20th launch at this time.

BT said the following.
    In summary, although certain key documents necessary to enable the launch to take place in a competitively neutral and effective manner were published by Eircom in November 2012 and were relied upon by ComReg when setting the earliest date by which Eircom could launch
    NGA services, a number of significant issues have since arisen which render even 20 May unrealistically early.

For example, BT is mindful of the following issues:
    1. Significant amendments to important documentation have taken place since Eircom’s November 2012 publication.
    2. Prices have still not been finalised.
    3. There remain a considerable number of outstanding issues, including how to deal with the introduction of vectoring.
    4. The window to commence trials has slipped and is now too short and too close to launch to resolve any problems of a technical nature.

Our firm position is that, given these serious matters, ComReg should now be considering the criteria for deciding when a fit for purpose service can reasonably be offered by the industry.

In our view, industry and ComReg will not be in a position to fix upon a firm launch date until robust trials have been completed and key issues resolved.

This is serious stuff and we don't even know what UPC are thinking of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Is this to register interest in FttH or FttC?

its very worrying that none of the companies bar eircom think its ready for launch on the 20th May

fttc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This is the problem with not having a separated eircom wholesale, like openreach in Britain. There's always a potential for drawn out disputes !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hi lads, I'm a bit late to this thread, but I spotted a few Eircom lads hauling around a huge amount of thick orange cable and threading it up and down the hill I live in Glanmire - and past the local exchange - would this be fibre perchance? I also nearly ran one of them over (not deliberately, honestly) on my way out of my estate the next day, they were dropping the cable in a duct near the old cabinet that supplies the phone lines to our estate. So am I right in thinking that the fibre has been laid, but it now needs to be hooked up around the place and new cabinets installed? What's the ETA on getting all that finished?

And I recently moved over to Vodafone for DSL, will they become resellers straight away at the same time as Eircom or will there be delays? Judging by the content of the last few days it looks like none of these companies agree on the path forward!

Thanks a mill

Thats subduct. once that is in place they blow the fibre down using air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Thats subduct. once that is in place they blow the fibre down using air.

Nice one, not forgotten about in Glanmire so! I'll set a reminder in my calendar for this time next year and I'll check in again! Thanks

Nobody will be happy regardless of what is done to be honest. As I said previously, if Vodafone and BT were actually bothered about it they would have taken part in the NGA pilot.

Just seen an Eircom tent set up outside Grand Canal station. :) Possibly fibre work?

• Advertisement

Nobody will be happy regardless of what is done to be honest. As I said previously, if Vodafone and BT were actually bothered about it they would have taken part in the NGA pilot.

you mean the run in south dublin and wexford or the actual pilot thats running now for them to test their system in a few exchanges?

Advertisement