Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

either applies. its rather disturbing when other operators try to stymie roll out of faster BB and none of them are irish companies. they were told about this in november 2011 and still have done nothing. from waht I can glean eircom are using a BT openreach product anyway that has been tried and tested.

It goes to show how valuable crap bb is to these providers. To insinuate the sytem is not fit for purpose with 2 months to go is a disgrace and they should be fined for their INEPTITUDE.

A disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    either applies. its rather disturbing when other operators try to stymie roll out of faster BB .

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. These operators want API access to the Wholesale OAM system as promised while smaller operators won't program an API into their own Billing/CRM system and will use a web portal instead. The web portal kinda works but is not really scalable beyond a few 1000 customers which is far too little for BT Voda and SKY who are the three largest resellers.

eircom won't provide an OAM API that works, nothing to test or trial. End Of!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is Cobh listed for fibre?

I've been following this thread and in the estate above has the green box double doors same as the ones pictured earlier in thread, yesterday workers started a job just next to the box theres now cables sticking out the ground in fresh concrete the shape of another green box.I'm hoping it means good news

Yep, Cobh is due late 2013 so mark those boxes using the link in my sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

dave1982 wrote: »

I've been following this thread and in the estate above has the green box double doors same as the ones pictured earlier in thread, yesterday workers started a job just next to the box theres now cables sticking out the ground in fresh concrete the shape of another green box.I'm hoping it means good news

Hopefully they will get on to Midleton next. We are due for completion in phase 4 (dec 2013). Haven't seen any signs of work yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Tonio wrote: »
    Hopefully they will get on to Midleton next. We are due for completion in phase 4 (dec 2013). Haven't seen any signs of work yet.

That's because they still haven't finished phase 3 yet. Don't expect any signs anytime soon.

That's because they still haven't finished phase 3 yet. Don't expect any signs anytime soon.

There are signs in Cobh and Glanmore which are phased with Midleton and Carrigaline. Watch out for big rolls of orange tube ( subduct) first like in Glanmire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Well Cobh is in the VDSL program, fibre to the cabinet only where the run from the cabinet to the house is over copper. So yes Cobh will be upgraded but not to fibre to the home

bealtine wrote: »
    Well Cobh is in the VDSL program, fibre to the cabinet only where the run from the cabinet to the house is over copper. So yes Cobh will be upgraded but not to fibre to the home

Thanks what would this mean for speeds?

the box is a 3-4 minute walk from my house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Outlined somewhere above but here it is again:)

down up
    200m 50 5 - 16
    300m 43 5 - 16
    450m 40 5 - 16
    700m 28 5 - 15
    800m 20 2.5 - 10
    900m 20 2.5 - 8
    1000m 18 2.5 - 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Most of this is FTTC. FTTH is a while away yet.

Is this incorrect then " Eircom is bitterly disappointed with today’s decision. eircom has fulfilled all of our regulatory obligations concerned with the launch of wholesale NGA services,”

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

See attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

See attached.

Worst case I get 18 mb thats 6 times faster than what my line can handle now :D the box is literally one one persons side entrance to his house

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Worst case I get 18 mb thats 6 times faster than what my line can handle now :D the box is literally one one persons side entrance to his house

Closer you are the better the speed so it's the same premise as NGB but the cabinet isn't miles away. I've been advised by an engineer who installed my broadband that the minimum speed guaranteed with VDSL will be 8mb though. (Maybe for someone over 1km away from the cab?)

Bit windy out today but I'll be out along the Dublin Rd, Bryanstown area in Drogheda looking for the new cabinets. Will probably look along the Marsh Road also as I live along there.

I've been told there's a cabinet literally about 200-300m away from where I am. Will be upgrading as soon as it's released. May just bump my package up to 24mb for now though as I can currently get 15mb on NGB.

Is this incorrect then " Eircom is bitterly disappointed with today’s decision. eircom has fulfilled all of our regulatory obligations concerned with the launch of wholesale NGA services,”

Yes it is incorrect, it is the usual corporate schlock from eircom that they always do everything the regulator ever asks ........quick smart. :(

If you choose to believe the eircom corporate schlock that is your business but I don't fully believe them despite conceding they engaged better with industry over this rollout than has been their wont in past years....and I mean recent past years when the first people who knew an exchange would be enabled were eircom door to door salesmen and not the industry.

i'd say thats a water meter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The box with the big 'hinge' feature on the right ( below) is what to look for and map. Thanks for kicking Limerick off for us. Sligo Ennis and Waterford coming soon I hope. :)

r1zy1d.jpg
    Spotted one at the top of Viewmount, (Faranshoneen lane), Waterford today. It is the large latched cabinet. The area is UPCed but a WiFi warwalk shows a mixed set of SSIDs (UPC/Eircom/others).

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

The fibre trial is starting soon very soon I don't no if eircom have started theirs but someone else is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

i'd say thats a water meter

If its not phone related then no loss anyway because the nearest regular Eircom cab as only about 450m from me,. And that would mean about 50Mb :D (hopefully).

That smaller one is much closer to me.

jmcc wrote: »
    Spotted one at the top of Viewmount, (Faranshoneen lane), Waterford today.

I thought there werent any, nobody has mapped a single cab in Waterford so far.

I tried to map the one in Cobh last night but it didn't save for some reason

It is on page 2, scroll down left

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I thought there werent any, nobody has mapped a single cab in Waterford so far.
    I think I mentioned to Eircom that I might be interested. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Our neighbour/Mums best mate was offered 8MB by the Eircom door-salesperson. :rolleyes: She is currently on a Vodafone contract. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

its rather disturbing when other operators try to stymie roll out of faster BB and none of them are irish companies. they were told about this in november 2011 and still have done nothing. from waht I can glean eircom are using a BT openreach product anyway that has been tried and tested.

They're not using a BT / Openreach product. BT and Eircom just happen to both use Huawei as a supplier of VDSL2 DSLAM cabinets, other aspects of their network wouldn't necessarily be the same. Both companies designed their own networks from the ground up and have various suppliers of different gear in different parts of the network.

The DSLAM cabinets are only one (relatively minor) part of what is probably quite a complicated network involving lots of different suppliers. From what I've read online, their NGN network seems to be mostly Alcatel-Lucent routers/switches/management systems etc. I know they also use Juniper, Ericsson and Genband equipment in the mix too. So, there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes beyond those cabinets. All the cabinets are is the counterpart to your DSL modem.

Huawei provide similar cabinets to telephone companies all over the world, not just BT and eircom. It's a nice piece of kit at a very competitive price apparently, which is why they ended up winning the contract for both of those companies' VDSL rollouts.

That being said, there's nothing particularly novel about FTTC networks and I'm sure eircom is using industry standard equipment similar to many other telcos around the world.

The main gripes their competitors seem to have are about things like IT systems for interacting with eircom wholesale's systems to place orders, activate services, track faults etc. there's a set of APIs for connecting their customer care systems with eircom's IT systems.

There also maybe issues around details of how eircom proposes to hand traffic back to their networks etc

They're not actually saying there's anything wrong with eircom's NGA network, just that they've had insufficient time to test how they can integrate with it.

This is the kind of thing that ComReg's supposed to smooth over, not eircom.

The only thing I would add though is that the entire industry that relies on eircom's wholesale access network is shooting itself in both feet repeatedly every day this product is delayed.

The longer they wait, the more customers go to UPC. They aren't going to switch to Vodafone, Sky, UTV, Digiweb or whoever if they're looking for fast internet access.

So, I can fully understand why eircom wants to speed things up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

NGN,

NGA integration is mostly, Huawei cab -> Alcatel Lucent Agg Node -> Adva WDM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

arctan wrote: »
    NGN,

NGA integration is mostly, Huawei cab -> Alcatel Lucent Agg Node -> Adva WDM

Looking at their responses to the ComReg consultation, the other companies who want to use eircom's access network are mostly concerned that they will not be able to smoothly launch competing products if testing and bugs aren't ironed out. So, while the eircom retail packages might work fine, they are clearly concerned that they might have issues getting their customers up and running smoothly which could put them in a bad position.

So, I'd say most of the issues would involve rather more mundane things to do with customer care systems, provisioning, ordering and fairly retail-oriented stuff.

BT Ireland raised some concerns about vectoring. It seemed to be more concerned that eircom hasn't really provided any clear information about what type of vectoring they're using.

They also brought up an interesting point that if consumers purchase their own modems (as is the case now - many people do), there could be problems with vectoring if the modem's not compatible with the particular type of vectoring deployed as it would 'contaminate' the network with stray signals.

It looks like eircom will have to issue a spec for the modems to be used and ensure that non-complaint modems are somehow denied connections to VDSL2.

It also looks like where vectoring's deployed, you'll have to use whatever modem they supply you with.

--- edit --

Looks like Huawei has a solution for that anyway :

http://www.huawei.com/en/about-huawei/newsroom/press-release/hw-195268-vectoringaward.htm

Interesting little corporate video chat with Huawei's DSL boss Dr Long Guozhu, Principal Scientist - Huawei Advanced Access Lab :

http://www.huawei.com/en/industry/huawei-voices/hw-u_169624.htm

Talking about G.Fast (up to 1gbit/s over DSL [short lines only]). Talks about vectoring etc too.
    Gives you a bit of insight into what kind of research's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

speaking of vectoring.... a number of cabs have been upgraded, even before launch, it's basically a card swap in the DSLAM

Advertisement