Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Hopefully this VDSL2+ rollout turns out to be something positive for the consumers. It's looking fairly promising so far.

It would be nice to see some people with a clue about technology becoming involved in the political process. We've loads of teachers, lawyers and accountants but very few techies, engineers etc at the top.

Any more updates on cabinets appearing in the snow?

Seems to be quite a few more concrete bases + wires appearing around the Wellington Road coverage area.

UPC seem to be doing a load of re-wiring in Douglas and I saw some more UPC work elsewhere around the city over the last few days too. So, it's not just Eircom that's wiring.

I don't know what exactly going on on the Lower Glanmire Road (just beside the two filling stations / flyover). Seems to be KN working on some fibre on behalf of BT. Wondering where that's going...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Regarding the media, I'm of the opinion that radio has given the telecoms market a very easy ride.

Any time I've heard Matt Cooper on the last word have a telecoms segment I've cringed. He is seemingly clueless about the topic, and has not had many decent guests on to tackle the stooges from the Telcos. The same could be said for Newstalk and RTE1.

The threat of losing advertising revenue shouldn't curtail good journalism.

One of ye knowledgeable posters should get on the airwaves when the media blitz happens and set the record straight!

I don't think it's necessarily a conspiracy to be honest. A lot of commentators and politicians simply don't' know much about broadband. These companies through in terms like 'fibre' and 'speed' and suddenly it's all wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Praetorian wrote: »
    Regarding the media, I'm of the opinion that radio has given the telecoms market a very easy ride.

Any time I've heard Matt Cooper on the last word have a telecoms segment I've cringed. He is seemingly clueless about the topic, and has not had many decent guests on to tackle the stooges from the Telcos. The same could be said for Newstalk and RTE1.

The threat of losing advertising revenue shouldn't curtail good journalism.

One of ye knowledgeable posters should get on the airwaves when the media blitz happens and set the record straight!

matt doesnt allow guests to talk live on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Any in the Maynooth/Kilcock area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Only a few tandems ( less than 10) and none of the RSUs are Alcatel .....that I know of.

I thought ECI did 96 port units for BT UK ( unlike Huawei with 192 or higher) but not smaller than that.

lol ... majority of RSU's in place the last few years have been Alcatel E10's

I don't think I've come across an AXE one yet

you'll find E10's around a lot of the southern half of the country, an awful lot of exchanges in Dublin are 50/50 split working both E10's and AXE's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I always thought that the majority of RSUs were Ericsson for some reason, musta confused them with Crossbars somehow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Was out walking the dog there eircom lads just finishing up work for the day at 8:30 pressure is on I'd say.

He started chatting to me asking about any young fellas about here at at night he's afraid they will tamper with the wet concrete, I asked him was it the fibre he confirmed it but said he reckoned it will give out speeds of up to 70.

I always thought that the majority of RSUs were Ericsson for some reason, musta confused them with Crossbars somehow. :)

Crossbars were electromechanical switches. The last few local crossbar exchanges survived right up until 1999. You're highly unlikely to run into one unless there's some old gear sitting intact and out of use for the last 14 years or so gathering dust.

Does anyone know if Eircom are using VDSL2 or VDSL2+ ?

There seem to be newer versions of the VDSL standard coming on stream with slightly faster speeds.

Speed comparisons over distance

fttn-speed-graph.gif

It'll make very little difference on longer lines, beyond 300 meters it looks like you'd be better off on ADSL2+ !! :(

• Advertisement

Update on the mapping project.

1. We have found around 1/3 of the cabs installed to date.
    2. Some places are looking good, eg Cork especially but other places are unmapped, eg Waterford ...West Dublin around Palmerstown and Tallaght and Ballyboden areas in S Dublin etc and Dolphins Barn and Beggars Bush
    3. So if we get a mapper in each of Kilkenny plus one in Waterford Palmerstown Ballyboden Tallaght central Dublin fringe the mapping will start to look very respectable. Either that or we will ask the Cork people to colonise. :p

See 1)what we already got and 2)what we need in addition in my sig below and start marking those cabs.

I think (even in Cork) we are missing a lot of cabinets in less obvious areas. There are a good few in housing estates and residential areas that aren't necessarily visible from main roads / streets.

If you're out walking the dog or whatever, make a mental note of any you spot and map them!

Whoever did Ballincollig really put in a lot of info ! Well done!

Over 1000 cabs are in place already : http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/31662-eircom-commissions-its-1-00

So we've quite a few to locate on the map!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

2. Some places are looking good, eg Cork especially but other places are unmapped, eg Waterford ...West Dublin around Palmerstown and Tallaght and Ballyboden areas in S Dublin etc and Dolphins Barn and Beggars Bush
    3. So if we get a mapper in each of Kilkenny plus one in Waterford Palmerstown Ballyboden Tallaght central Dublin fringe the mapping will start to look very respectable. Either that or we will ask the Cork people to colonise. :p

See 1)what we already got and 2)what we need in addition in my sig below and start marking those cabs.

I had no idea we would get so far so fast. Thanks to you and all the other contributors!

I was hoping to get out on my bike to finish Balbriggan (or at least improve on what's there), but the weather has been just too damn bitter and windy! I'll get it sorted at some stage.

There is still no sign of cabinets in Balrothery, which is disappointing as it's a satellite village of Balbriggan (on the same exchange obviously). Hopefully they just haven't started it, and they will eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Sponge, I found two more cabs in Ballincollig, I added them to the map, but because they were added only recently, I can see these cabs on the second page.

Is there any way to move these two cabs to the first page? It is quite odd now that half of Ballincollig is on the first page, and the second half is on the second.

chriss745 wrote: »
    Is there any way to move these two cabs to the first page? It is quite odd now that half of Ballincollig is on the first page, and the second half is on the second.

Seeing as it is Ballincollig, request granted. :D

I see one possible Dupe and I think some of the 'missing' ones are in Ovens not in Ballincollig. Balbriggan also grouped.

Thats why you should always use YOUR OWN colour marker, much easier to organise later.!!!!!!

I'll have to take the map offline to group everything properly some time soon.

I think you can just drag the listing.

To avoid confusion (as there are similar place names e.g. Rochestown Road in Dublin and Cork etc etc)

How about we do something like this:

Use the one or two letter code from the registration plates i.e. C for Cork, KK for Kilkenny, DL for Donegal etc.

So something like :

D - Crown Alley - Curved Street (opposite Filmbase)
    C - Central - Patrick's Street (Next to Brown Thomas)
    DL - Letterkenny - Main Street (Beside Centra)

Or something along those lines?

The full listings are kind of long-winded and hard to sort.

Or, alternatively

Telephone area codes:

(01) Crown Alley - Curved Street
    (022) Mallow - Main Street
    (099) Kilronan - Next to centra?

We may not have post codes, but at least we've sensible registration plates and telephone area codes. The UK ones are pretty random!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Currently half way through Drogheda, could someone pm the link for updating the map please in case I do find new ones.

I think we need to segment the maps by region Solair, gmaps is clunky enough up to 1000 markers but there are another 6000 in the pipeline which won't scale.

or you could just use the exchange code ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Just added 5 definite cabinets located in Drogheda. I spotted another two that are maybes, just didn't get a close enough look at them. The one's I've seen are in plain view except the one at Millmount Abbey that was in behind foliage. I will be looking at Dublin Road soon and I will return to the Bryanstown area to see if there are any cabinets in the estate itself.

I will look at the other side of town in the next few weeks. (Mell etc.)

The one thing I'll say about trying to find these is not to think that they are beside the old cabinets. They can be on the opposite side of the road for example or they can be a few hundred metres away. I seen a few old cabinets that I couldn't find a subsequent VDSL cab for. Anyways, hope it helps someone in terms of knowing they'll get NGA. :D

arctan wrote: »
    or you could just use the exchange code ?

True, but would anyone know what they meant other than eircom? Some of them are obvious, some are a bit cryptic.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Slowly filling in a few more Mullingar ones but notice there are triplicates done for Ardleigh Park & Ardleigh Vale

Craig and Mickey all the Mullingar and Drogheda cabs are on the main editing page and will all show up in one place

Solair wrote: »
    True, but would anyone know what they meant other than eircom? Some of them are obvious, some are a bit cryptic.

thats where the map key comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I might have a few more for Arklow but I can't add them to the map via mobile. Just need to get a pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Would it be worthwhile to do a map for each county/postal code and link them in a google docs spreadsheet? also in google earth you can make a map with folders, I suppose we could make an xml and do some dropbox wizardry

Would it be worthwhile to do a map for each county/postal code and link them in a google docs spreadsheet? also in google earth you can make a map with folders, I suppose we could make an xml and do some dropbox wizardry

You'd probably need a seperate table for each city though as there are lots of exchanges involved, especially in Dublin and Cork.

Just done. Have a look at this experimental map which is Cork Only

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=https:%2F%2Fdl.dropbox.com%2Fu%2F33619456%2FCork%2520City%2520and%2520County.kmz&hl=en&ll=51.810313,-8.264465&spn=0.886425,2.705383&sll=51.904034,-9.039528&sspn=1.76921,5.410767&t=m&z=9

[edit] I have a National Version of this now after systematically cascading styles by region and saving out as a KMZ. Now need to point each county at its own Map, etc.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FXGS1ba+&hl=en&sll=53.41608,-7.811279&sspn=3.208786,10.821533&t=m&z=6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Slowly filling in a few more Mullingar ones but notice there are triplicates done for Ardleigh Park & Ardleigh Vale
    good man, the triplicates are probably me, i added them but on refresh wouldnt show at all, even after several refreshes, crappy internet et all. Best if you remove them as i cant guarantee if i remove them that they will actually be removed.

I also spotted some cabinets on the way to Tesco( from the west direction ), couldnt tell if they were vdsl cabs though.

Advertisement