Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MikeSat

Solair wrote: »
    I did a bit of a tidy up of the Cork areas (and added physical addresses to all the ballincollig cabs).

The list's now organised by exchange codes rather than long-winded names as it lets you see more info on a single line.

Handy list of exchange codes :

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/Bitstream_EA_launch/

Just one new cabinet you have missed in the Ballincollig area is situated across from the Anglers rest pub 50 meters to the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

MikeSat wrote: »
    Just one new cabinet you have missed in the Ballincollig area is situated across from the Anglers rest pub 50 meters to the right.

I didn't actually find them, they were put in by someone else with cab numbers, I just added the address details.

Could you add it on the map?
    See spongebob's links for adding and just click "EDIT" (you need to be logged into a Google / Gmail account)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Drogheda, outside Beaubec on the Dublin Rd:
    There's a box there I don't see listed on your map.
    Saw 2 Eircom Vans at it today for a couple of hours. One of them was towing a trailer with a huge roll of black piping.
    Should I be excited?

Also theres an exhange at the roundabout, at the Southgate shopping centre. I don't see that listed either.

Well, maybe these aren't the things you're looking for?

Also, check out your man in the picture. Clearly a recycling issue going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

KoKane wrote: »
    Saw 2 Eircom Vans at it today for a couple of hours. One of them was towing a trailer with a huge roll of black piping.
    Should I be excited?

Also theres an exhange at the roundabout, at the Southgate shopping centre. I don't see that listed either.

Also, check out your man in the picture. Clearly a recycling issue going on there.

That's the older cab. There's a fibre cab listed for Grange Rath and Stameen already though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Solair did them very well in the Ballincollig examples on page 1. If a cab is 'full' no customers can be provisioned, that is why the identifiers are important.

Grand so I'll continue on like that! Just wondering how you can relate the ids to the cabs being full or not? And how were the E & D side capacities determined? Or is this hush hush. Apologies if this has been asked 5 times before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

KoKane wrote: »
    Should I be excited?

Keep an eye out for the one in the right of the picture (in my sig).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

TheChizler wrote: »
    Got one if these through the door today, hopefully there'll be a little green box appearing soon. Probably wont find it though, don't have a clue where the existing box is.

The spelling 'fibre' annoys me though, my optical electronics lecturer spent the last term beating 'fiber' into us.

What does it say inside the leaflet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Praetorian wrote: »
    What does it say inside the leaflet?

Seems like a plea for us to hold out until they get around to installing cabs in our exchange area (Dennehy's Cross, am I right in saying there's none yet?).

Pretty standard stuff, fibre coming to your area soon, register your interest, big speedometer graphic with a giant '70 Mb' it, and examples of all the wonderful things you can do with this new internet yoke, learning, email, music, videos, and apparently I can use both my laptop and phone AT THE SAME TIME!

Their intended reaction:

Edit: Actually it mentions that "Existing eircom customers can upgrade to eFibre for FREE", which is very interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

TheChizler wrote: »
    Seems like a plea for us to hold out until they get around to installing cabs in our exchange area (Dennehy's Cross, am I right in saying there's none yet?).

Pretty standard stuff, fibre coming to your area soon, register your interest, big speedometer graphic with a giant '70 Mb' it, and examples of all the wonderful things you can do with this new internet yoke, learning, email, music, videos, and apparently I can use both my laptop and phone AT THE SAME TIME!

Their intended reaction:

Edit: Actually it mentions that "Existing eircom customers can upgrade to eFibre for FREE", which is very interesting...

:D
    Brillant.

I assume it says up to 70MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

2 more cabs spotted
    1 in Swords next to B&Q , 1 on Kilmore road [ not up yet but slab ready next to cabinet ]
    Added to SpongeBob map

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering how well this will really work. The density of cabinets and spread of typical Irish suburban homes puts a hell of a lot of people more than 400meters from a cabinet which means speeds more like slightly faster, improved ADSL2+

They'll ultimately either need to go with full fibre or else install a LOT more cabinets.

I drive with the trip counter on from our nearest cabinet to the house and its a little over 500 meters, so it basically renders the cabinet useless for all but about 4 homes !

Seems like rather pointless tech in suburbs with bigger gardens / wider spread of homes. Probably works great in say Spain where you can put a cabinet under a building and access maybe 30 to 100 homes within 500 meters of cable. That's a pretty unusual layout in Ireland where I'd day you be lucky if you'd reach 10 to 15 homes in that distance on most cabinets. It makes me wonder if this is just cheapskate, short sighted stuff that'll only give eircom a couple of years of respectable speed before 30-40 mbits becomes old fashioned and slow technology again.

I still think ESB's new fibre rollout will have more genuine impact on speeds if they can get FTTH rolled out.

UPC's cable infrastructure is still vastly superior to VDSL2 so I can't really see eircom winning many back unless they do a very good price !

I'm just wondering how well this will really work. The density of cabinets and spread of typical Irish suburban homes puts a hell of a lot of people more than 400meters from a cabinet which means speeds more like slightly faster, improved ADSL2+

They'll ultimately either need to go with full fibre or else install a LOT more cabinets.

I drive with the trip counter on from our nearest cabinet to the house and its a little over 500 meters, so it basically renders the cabinet useless for all but about 4 homes !

Seems like rather pointless tech in suburbs with bigger gardens / wider spread of homes. Probably works great in say Spain where you can put a cabinet under a building and access maybe 30 to 100 homes within 500 meters of cable. That's a pretty unusual layout in Ireland where I'd day you be lucky if you'd reach 10 to 15 homes in that distance on most cabinets. It makes me wonder if this is just cheapskate, short sighted stuff that'll only give eircom a couple of years of respectable speed before 30-40 mbits becomes old fashioned and slow technology again.

I still think ESB's new fibre rollout will have more genuine impact on speeds if they can get FTTH rolled out.

UPC's cable infrastructure is still vastly superior to VDSL2 so I can't really see eircom winning many back unless they do a very good price !

I think a lot of people are going to get very good speeds out of this infrastructure. Eircom will get vectoring up and running and most of the graphs show over 50 m/bit at over 500 metres. Even for myself at 1000+ metres (worst case scenario distance for me). I may get 30-35m/bit. Which will be a nice improvement over my 12m/bit x 1m/bit connection. (although I'm hoping for more).

They will stretch the technology with bonding. Who knows also what revisions will come down the line in the future. Using different frequencies / even better noise cancellation / this phantom line tech.

I loathe to say this but, in reality it will be fast enough for most people for a good deal of time. Also, I don't think the ESB are serious about a country wide rollout. If they do rollout, it will be to areas not covered by vdsl or cable. I reckon it could be 2020-2025 before a widespread FTTH rollout.

The great work we are doing with the map shows reasonable cabinet density in some areas and poor in other areas, but don’t forget 66% of them are not mapped, many more are to be installed and the rollout is not nearly finished.

At the end of the day, there will still be lots of people on crap connections. The low density nature of Ireland is not going to change. Those are the people I feel sorry for. But maybe 4g will help a little, although having recently experienced 4g on my phone abroad, I was not that impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I loathe to say this but, in reality it will be fast enough for most people for a good deal of time.

But only by today's standards.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes but you are fogetting that eircoms penetration is now only 60% of homes ( down from around 90% of homes just before privatisation in 1998) and less than that in URBAN areas. eircom has 2.5m D Sides in their plant of which only half are in use.

Consequently eircom has 2 PAIRS available for every premises in Ireland where a bonded solution may be required and that pushes the threshhold for 100mbit services out to around 600m, single pair solutions are not particularly scalable beyond 400m as you correctly asserted Solair.

Nielsens Law will kick in again around 2020 no matter what they do with copper sweating tricks.
    Praetorian wrote:
    lso, I don't think the ESB are serious about a country wide rollout. If they do rollout, it will be to areas not covered by vdsl or cable. I reckon it could be 2020-2025 before a widespread FTTH rollout.

My best guess is that the ESB will get to c.20% of homes and that they will significantly extend fast broadband into exurbia which is quite densely populated in Ireland (and where services can be launched from urban substations) as well as smaller towns and villages.

In the Galway context they may appear in Claregalway and Barna and Athenry and Clarenbridge AND ALL POINTS BACK TO Galway along the 10KV network again.

I can hardly imagine them in rural west and south east and north galway where the premises densities fall off quite precipitously thereby lengthening the average meterage deployed per premises.

We're actually only 3.8km from Patrick's Street in Cork City, yet there's no UPC and the FTTC is looking like it's going to be a bit patchy. Although, I'm still holding out some hope that another FTTC cabinet will appear near by soon. There's a fairly obvious spot for one, although there's no pre-existing cabinet.

Basically the cable companies never wired our particular area (about 25 homes) because of a blocking neighbour back in the 1980s. Then, because it's low density (50 to 200 meters between the houses) UPC seems to have no interest in running that much cable to catch say 24 - 35 (max if you include other bits) homes.

Eircom's FTTC cabinet's gone at the far end of the street, and the next FTTC cab location is over a km further up. Still early days though as more may pop up yet. It would probably hit about 50-60 homes if it was placed there.

To me though, it looks like a cabinet with about 50 ports would be ideal in a lot of housing estates / developments generally, but one on every road, not just for the whole estate. If you could get it down to blocks of about 30 homes plus some spares, you'd easily have full speed coverage in most places.

If it's just one per housing estate, it's going to need 2-pairs or some other techniques to keep up the speeds.

Hopefully as the price of this gear continues to drop, it might be able to get even closer to customers.

I'd say though, UPC are going to make a huge deal about how their product actually delivers the advertised speed. That's going to be a huge challenge for VDSL if they want to really get high-spend customers. Otherwise, it'll be a second tier product for people who aren't all that bothered.

Hopefully if our line's fairly short, we might come in at sub 500 meters. I know the wiring in the area's quite new, it was completely redone in the early 00s with new cabinets and new ducting with the old overhead network completely removed. They seemed to do a major rewire of the whole area around the same time that the old Wellington Road exchange switched over to being fully digital in the late 90s. It used to have crossbar service on 021 450 XXXX and AXE Digital on 021 455 XXXX. You could actually request a digitally switched line if you particularly wanted one from sometime in the early 90s apparently. If you didn't specify, you got whatever the engineer felt like on the day :)

At one stage we'd a business line and a residential line in the house. The business line was digitally switched and the residential line was on the old crossbar ARF switch. Only difference was one didn't do voicemail / call diversion and if you made a call on it, after you tone-dialled the number it would make a ticking noise for about 5 or 6 seconds then clunk and connect you, where as the business line worked in the normal modern way.

So it's likely to be good quality copper, given it's pretty much new stuff.

At present we get about 13mbit/s on up-to-24mbit/s ADSL2+ with Smart. It's a 3.5km route to the exchange (as the crow flies, the cables could be a lot longer, in fact, I suspect they are as they seem to take the most indirect route via a cabinet at the opposite end of the street from the direction the exchange is in, looping back on themselves, so it could be more like 6 or 7km)

I know when we tried faster profiles on the line with Smart, the connection became quite unstable, especially when we tried a 1mbit/s upload speed. So, we dropped back to a remedial profile which seems very stable, but maxes out at 13-14mbit/s down and 512kbps up.

The line coming into the house seems to have 3 pairs btw. The original wiring was damaged and replaced. The old wiring was like 2-core zip-cord type stuff, new wiring seems more like proper twisted pairs. (Crosses the garden to a pole and disappears underground)

We'll probably subscribe to it (assuming the caps and price are good) and see how it goes. Hopefully, it picks up a decent speed from the cab.

We're actually only 3.8km from Patrick's Street in Cork City, yet there's no UPC and the FTTC is looking like it's going to be a bit patchy. Although, I'm still holding out some hope that another FTTC cabinet will appear near by soon. There's a fairly obvious spot for one, although there's no pre-existing cabinet.

Basically the cable companies never wired our particular area (about 25 homes) because of a blocking neighbour back in the 1980s. Then, because it's low density (50 to 200 meters between the houses) UPC seems to have no interest in running that much cable to catch say 24 - 35 (max if you include other bits) homes.

Eircom's FTTC cabinet's gone at the far end of the street, and the next FTTC cab location is over a km further up. Still early days though as more may pop up yet. It would probably hit about 50-60 homes if it was placed there.

To me though, it looks like a cabinet with about 50 ports would be ideal in a lot of housing estates / developments generally, but one on every road, not just for the whole estate. If you could get it down to blocks of about 30 homes plus some spares, you'd easily have full speed coverage in most places.

If it's just one per housing estate, it's going to need 2-pairs or some other techniques to keep up the speeds.

Hopefully as the price of this gear continues to drop, it might be able to get even closer to customers.

I'd say though, UPC are going to make a huge deal about how their product actually delivers the advertised speed. That's going to be a huge challenge for VDSL if they want to really get high-spend customers. Otherwise, it'll be a second tier product for people who aren't all that bothered.

Hopefully if our line's fairly short, we might come in at sub 500 meters. I know the wiring in the area's quite new, it was completely redone in the early 00s with new cabinets and new ducting with the old overhead network completely removed. They seemed to do a major rewire of the whole area around the same time that the old Wellington Road exchange switched over to being fully digital in the late 90s. It used to have crossbar service on 021 450 XXXX and AXE Digital on 021 455 XXXX. You could actually request a digitally switched line if you particularly wanted one from sometime in the early 90s apparently. If you didn't specify, you got whatever the engineer felt like on the day :)

At one stage we'd a business line and a residential line in the house. The business line was digitally switched and the residential line was on the old crossbar ARF switch. Only difference was one didn't do voicemail / call diversion and if you made a call on it, after you tone-dialled the number it would make a ticking noise for about 5 or 6 seconds then clunk and connect you, where as the business line worked in the normal modern way.

So it's likely to be good quality copper, given it's pretty much new stuff.

At present we get about 13mbit/s on up-to-24mbit/s ADSL2+ with Smart. It's a 3.5km route to the exchange (as the crow flies, the cables could be a lot longer, in fact, I suspect they are as they seem to take the most indirect route via a cabinet at the opposite end of the street from the direction the exchange is in, looping back on themselves, so it could be more like 6 or 7km)

I know when we tried faster profiles on the line with Smart, the connection became quite unstable, especially when we tried a 1mbit/s upload speed. So, we dropped back to a remedial profile which seems very stable, but maxes out at 13-14mbit/s down and 512kbps up.

The line coming into the house seems to have 3 pairs btw. The original wiring was damaged and replaced. The old wiring was like 2-core zip-cord type stuff, new wiring seems more like proper twisted pairs. (Crosses the garden to a pole and disappears underground)

We'll probably subscribe to it (assuming the caps and price are good) and see how it goes. Hopefully, it picks up a decent speed from the cab.

I'm sure when they look at it, hitting 50-60 homes is not worth it. 5 could be empty. Half may be happy with current adsl2+ speeds (especially if ye are all receiving 10m/bit +), another set of houses may not use a landline at all, instead using mobile broadband. A few houses may not be able to afford it in current economic circumstances. So maybe 15 houses may request the newer product. I hope I'm wrong for you though!

I spoke to UPC about our estate, which has 300 houses, all estates surrounding us are UPC enabled, so cables are around. And even with that number, it's not worth cabling us up. Now we will be served by one cabinet, which could be 1km from me or 250 metres.

I'm sure when they look at it, hitting 50-60 homes is not worth it. 5 could be empty. Half may be happy with current adsl2+ speeds (especially if ye are all receiving 10m/bit +), another set of houses may not use a landline at all, instead using mobile broadband. A few houses may not be able to afford it in current economic circumstances. So maybe 15 houses may request the newer product. I hope I'm wrong for you though!

I spoke to UPC about our estate, which has 300 houses, all estates surrounding us are UPC enabled, so cables are around. And even with that number, it's not worth cabling us up. Now we will be served by one cabinet, which could be 1km from me or 250 metres.

I think the issue for us was more that it would require duct laying (and lots of it) for UPC to hit all the homes as there's no way they could run house to house with overhead network. The layout and distances involved wouldn't make it too economically viable.

It's a collection of houses that were all built individually over the decades and other houses that go back for a couple of centuries, so it's kinda complex from a utilities point of view.

Some parts of the area are UPC-connected, others aren't. It seems to have been entirely down to a few individual who refused way-leave access back in the day.

The cable's often just carried in shallow duct (barely below the surface of the street or in the soil in old parts of Cork.) Some of it was direct-buried too (no ducts) back in the 1980s I assume.

There's a UPC amp / fibre node right next to where the VDSL2 cabinet's gone in and the UPC wiring runs off on a rather bizarre route clipped along walls, strung over fences. It even seems to be running up a tree in one case and then across a garden.

A lot of the UPC wiring is underground too though with just the last drop to the individual houses coming up from the road in a narrow metal duct, over the wall, and meanders its way to a living room somewhere.

All the eircom and ESB networks stuff is underground though, so maybe at some stage UPC might be able to use eircom ducts.

The VDSL2 could possibly work out, OK for our house, we'll see what happens.

I'd be delighted to see a closer cab pop up tho. Seems to be quite a few of them going into rather quirky spots around the city, so we're not that unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jackaroo2012

I read somewhere that Galway City Centre wont be done until the end of 2014. Does anyone know where I can check this 'fact' seems bananas that they would do the city centre first with all the businesses etc. there.

I read somewhere that Galway City Centre wont be done until the end of 2014. Does anyone know where I can check this 'fact' seems bananas that they would do the city centre first with all the businesses etc. there.

Here...

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/eircom-Fibre-Broadband/td-p/19450

Edit: shows list of up to Phase IV but I can't find the page with Phase V.
    I'm currently on my phone, so struggling to browse fast enough.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Phase_5/

They're definitely ahead of schedule in Cork anyway. Maybe Galway City centre will kick off soon.

Cork's Wellington Rd area is hardly going to take until December to complete for example, yet that's the scheduled delivery date according to the rollout plan!

To me it looks like they're rushing to get suburban areas done before May to minimise migration to UPC primarily.

That or the installation process is proving to be much less complicated than they'd anticipated.

• Advertisement

They're definitely ahead of schedule in Cork anyway. Maybe Galway City centre will kick off soon.

Cork's Wellington Rd area is hardly going to take until December to complete for example, yet that's the scheduled delivery date according to the rollout plan!

To me it looks like they're rushing to get suburban areas done before May to minimise migration to UPC primarily.

That or the installation process is proving to be much less complicated than they'd anticipated.

Yeah, I hope they are flying with it. They were working on Arklow and Wicklow, according to people in here, and that would mean they are perhaps working on Greystones soon if they are working their way north *rubs hands* =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Anyone in Arklow seen them jamming fibre anywhere or have they cooled down for a bit since doing the Wexford/Emoclew/Coolgreany roads loop + the ones in Meadowvale?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jackaroo2012

red_bairn wrote: »
    Here...

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/eircom-Fibre-Broadband/td-p/19450

Edit: shows list of up to Phase IV but I can't find the page with Phase V.
    I'm currently on my phone, so struggling to browse fast enough.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Phase_5/

Thanks Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Anyone in Arklow seen them jamming fibre anywhere or have they cooled down for a bit since doing the Wexford/Emoclew/Coolgreany roads loop + the ones in Meadowvale?

I've seen new cabinets over the Mountain Bay and Pines direction too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was wondering, should we add VDSL cabs that aren't in place yet?

Here in Dublin, it is very clear where some of the VDSL cabs are going, the existing cabs have a planning permission notice on them and the VDSL cab location marked out in a yellow box on the ground next to it.

So should I add these?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I feel we shouldn't. UPC for example had placed planning permission for cabinets in some areas, which they had to relocate to a street nearby because of civils problems or objections from locals or from the council. A planning permission notice doesn't necessarily lead to a VDSL2 cabinet nor does it account for delays in provisioning such a cabinet.

bk wrote: »
    So should I add these?

Make sure the description contains the word "planned", try getting a full list off the roads section in Dublin Corporation perhaps and make it easier for yourself. These are not normal planning applications but consents to squat bits of pavement I think, note the relevant section and act on a notice as someone will deal with eg "Section 204(b) applications" in that place :)

bk wrote: »
    I was wondering, should we add VDSL cabs that aren't in place yet?

Here in Dublin, it is very clear where some of the VDSL cabs are going, the existing cabs have a planning permission notice on them and the VDSL cab location marked out in a yellow box on the ground next to it.

So should I add these?

Or Perhaps these "expected cabinets" should be marked with a different colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I had an Eircom reseller call to the door last night (in Moate, co. Westmeath) telling me that fibre would be available in Moate in April, but I would only be able to get it if I was already signed up with Eircom.

• Advertisement

Dacelonid wrote: »
    I had an Eircom reseller call to the door last night (in Moate, co. Westmeath) telling me that fibre would be available in Moate in April, but I would only be able to get it if I was already signed up with Eircom.

Never believe anyone at the door, they lie as standard. :(

eircom put fibre into Moate about 1989 or so. The most they will do for Moate in 2013 is a possible NGB upgrade which means every reseller gets to resell the same packages as eircom.

More than likely the salesman plain lied. BUT you can ask if Moate is getting NGB in 2013 (modern fibre backhaul not VDSL) here

Advertisement