Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Praetorian wrote: »
    Or Perhaps these "expected cabinets" should be marked with a different colour?

NO, BK can go check the whole lot again in 6 months and delete if not present. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Never believe anyone at the door, they lie as standard. :(

eircom put fibre into Moate about 1989 or so. The most they will do for Moate in 2013 is a possible NGB upgrade which means every reseller gets to resell the same packages as eircom.

More than likely the salesman plain lied. BUT you can ask if Moate is getting NGB in 2013 (modern fibre backhaul not VDSL) here
    That date for fibre in Moate was originally 1987 in that post a few minutes ago unless my eyes are playing tricks on me! There's probably not many people in eircom who'd know what year in the 80s that Moate got fibre. How do you do it?! Share your secrets to your good memory :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Dacelonid wrote: »
    I had an Eircom reseller call to the door last night (in Moate, co. Westmeath) telling me that fibre would be available in Moate in April, but I would only be able to get it if I was already signed up with Eircom.

Oh. So Eircom must be setting up a launch date for April for their own bundles and then the wholesalers will be in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

eircom put fibre into Moate about 1989 or so. The most they will do for Moate in 2013 is a possible NGB upgrade which means every reseller gets to resell the same packages as eircom.

More than likely the salesman plain lied. BUT you can ask if Moate is getting NGB in 2013 (modern fibre backhaul not VDSL) here

Yeah, it is rather misleading to call it 'fibre powered' to be honest when you consider the network's been 'fibre powered' for decades. They're really just rolling out next-generation access technologies, which are only partially fibre :)

Make sure the description contains the word "planned", try getting a full list off the roads section in Dublin Corporation perhaps and make it easier for yourself. These are not normal planning applications but consents to squat bits of pavement I think, note the relevant section and act on a notice as someone will deal with eg "Section 204(b) applications" in that place :)

Yeah, definitely don't list them as installed - maybe use a different symbol to a pin entirely rather than just a colour.

I'd say you'd be safe enough to add the cabinets that are in the process of being installed though i.e. where they've poured a new concrete plinth and have the cables ready to pull next to an existing distribution cabinet.

BTW : Any chance you could make the link to the fibre map a sticky or something? It would be handy

i.e. start a fibre cabinet mapping thread and ask the mod to sticky it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Big plus one on creating a new thread and stickying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

When I posted the first map I should have thought of that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jackaroo2012

I had an Eircom reseller call to the door last night (in Moate, co. Westmeath) telling me that fibre would be available in Moate in April, but I would only be able to get it if I was already signed up with Eircom.

They work on ****ty commission and if they dont make a sale they dont get paid so they will say anything to get a sale.

Solair wrote: »

i.e. start a fibre cabinet mapping thread and ask the mod to sticky it.

Use the links in my sig below _for now_ and i will improve the workflow over the weekend before I ask for a sticky.

Instructions on left when you click add a cabinet link at bottom.

If you have a batch to add send me a PM with a link to a dropbox or something and I will suck them in in one go rather than use the Add A Cabinet link.

That applies to BK mainly but anyone who wants to do it using a text file can paste them in as long as they look like this, one cab per line

Cork - Corner of d'Avenue and d'Road outside Dripsey, 51.2234, -6.77666
    Cork - Corner of d''Road and d'Airport outside Togher 51.1234, -6.9908

51.1234, -6.9908 is the GPS co ordinate, I must have that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

red_bairn wrote: »
    Oh. So Eircom must be setting up a launch date for April for their own bundles and then the wholesalers will be in May.
    They work on ****ty commission and if they dont make a sale they dont get paid so they will say anything to get a sale.

I wasn't saying I believed him, merely pointing that there are people going around spouting sh1te in relation to fibre.

• Advertisement

I wasn't saying I believed him, merely pointing that there are people going around spouting sh1te in relation to fibre.

Which ISP are you with? If it's one of the wholesalers that Eircom deal with, you may be better off staying put.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Which ISP are you with? If it's one of the wholesalers that Eircom deal with, you may be better off staying put.

With Vodafone and the service is fantastic.
    Granted I can't get the up to 24Mb package, but I do get 6.5Mb on the Ideal Broadband package

We're with Smart Telecom 24mbit/s at the moment. Cheap, fast (for ADSL), no complaints really at all.

If the FTTC products are any good, I'll definitely switch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

We're with Smart Telecom 24mbit/s at the moment. Cheap, fast (for ADSL), no complaints really at all.

If the FTTC products are any good, I'll definitely switch though.

If you want faster upload speeds, switching to FTTC is a no-brainer. Upload speeds on DSL are a load of bollocks.

If you want faster upload speeds, switching to FTTC is a no-brainer. Upload speeds on DSL are a load of bollocks.

Yeah, it's starting to be a pain in the rear when you're dealing with cloud services!

It's not called asymmetric DSL for nothing :D

I miss the upload speed in Korea...much better than 512kbps. :/

I miss the upload speed in Korea...much better than 512kbps. :/

You don't need to go to Korea for better uploads, I miss UPC's 10mbit/s upload....

I had 150mb down / 10mb up at a different address and now I'm stuck with Smart's ADSL .. it's quite a come down lol

The UCC campus network's upload speed's quite sweet though hehe.

That's Smart :

2576417408.png - syncs at about 14mbit/s.

IE's average speeds are definitely increasing though, that's now only C+ rated and only faster than 57% of IE connections.

http://www.netindex.com/download/2,49/Ireland/

I think the city identifiers are basically useless other than Dungavan. It identifies me as Dublin even though I'm in Cork, so the city/town stats are probably more or less worthless.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yup, same for me. I'm with Smart and to be honest I'm perfectly happy with the download speeds (about 16mb/s), smart are cheap and fast. But it is the upload speed of only 512k that is the real killer.

I'm using lots of cloud services and uploading lots of pictures and videos and it is a real killer. That is why I'd love to have UPC or VDSL, but unfortunately I'm stuck in a Smart Telecom enabled apartment building and they seem to have no interest in upgrading :(

I also covet the faster upload speeds. I have 1mbit up and uploading bars are like watching paint dry. I am hoping for 10 times the speeds that I have now. I post a lot of videos on another forum and even emailing photos is time consuming.

For now also doubling my download speed would be nice. Anything above that would be a bonus.

DMT Status No Defect
    Operational Mode ADSL2+
    Upstream 1117
    Downstream 12285
    SNR Margin(Upstream) 7.3
    SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.6
    Line Attenuation(Upstream) 15.8
    Line Attenuation(Downstream) 27.5

I also covet the faster upload speeds. I have 1mbit up and uploading bars are like watching paint dry. I am hoping for 10 times the speeds that I have now. I post a lot of videos on another forum and even emailing photos is time consuming.

For now also doubling my download speed would be nice. Anything above that would be a bonus.

Upload speeds are quite important for those self employed and small businesses. People will want better upload speeds for Cloud services and the likes of storage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

DMT Status No Defect
    Operational Mode ADSL2+
    Upstream 1117
    Downstream 12285
    SNR Margin(Upstream) 7.3
    SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.6
    Line Attenuation(Upstream) 15.8
    Line Attenuation(Downstream) 27.5

those SNR ratios are a bit on the low side considering you're line attenuation is pretty good ...

Eircom crew out wiring up our local cabinet this morning. Seems they're really keeping the momentum up !

Eircom crew out wiring up our local cabinet this morning. Seems they're really keeping the momentum up !

Sounds great! Where are you at?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 6144 kbps 512 kbps
    Line Attenuation 42.0 db 16.0 db
    Noise Margin 10.6 db 22.0 db

^^^ Line att could be better.

Upload speeds are quite important for those self employed and small businesses. People will want better upload speeds for Cloud services and the likes of storage.

Uploads are going to become a LOT bigger deal in the next few months and years. Also, mobile services generally work almost symmetrically if they want to. Doesn't really make any odds to them which way the traffic is flowing!

They should all offer symmetric service or various combinations of up and down speeds, even on ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

where ?

gordonnet wrote: »
    where ?

Somewhere in the Cork - Wellington Road exchange catchment area. I'm not putting my exact address on boards :)

Sounds great! Where are you at?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 6144 kbps 512 kbps
    Line Attenuation 42.0 db 16.0 db
    Noise Margin 10.6 db 22.0 db

^^^ Line att could be better.

My DSL stats:
    DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
    Uptime: 22 days, 14:29:00
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 766 / 14.833
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/MB]: 1,99 / 901,55
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,6 / 23,1
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14,9 / 34,0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15,0 / 14,8
    Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / GSPN
    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Link (Remote): -
    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2.026 / 0
    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 723 / 742.067
    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 27 / 3.322
    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 185 / 77.810

Doesn't really mean much though as with VDSL2, most of that line would be gone.

My line works out like :

Approximate distance 2462 meters to DSLAM
    It's estimating a maximum speed of 12.38Mbit/s, but the line's outperforming that, so I can only assume the cable quality's better than the model.

Same model would put your line at 3.041km from the exchange.
    Maximum speed of 8.294Mbit/s

They assume a loss of 13.81dB/km

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

We are nearly at 400 cabs of 1000 on the map.

Waterford is a black hole and Ballyboden Tallaght and Palmerstown exchanges are too so if someone could kindly map those we would be getting somewhere.

There are more cabs in Galway and Cork and Limerick too. Map editing in my sig below. :)

arctan wrote: »
    those SNR ratios are a bit on the low side considering you're line attenuation is pretty good ...

My connection is absolutely rock solid. The normal fluctuation in my snr brings it down 1-2 db max at the lowest point. With eircom i had sync rates of 15384 x 768 which was also rock solid. Pushing Eircom, I got them to sync it at 17000, whilst my billion modem was spoofing higher snr (handy setting), but at this rate my line would drop twice a week or so. Gave up the higher downloads for faster uploads (and a cheaper imagine connection).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

My connection is absolutely rock solid. The normal fluctuation in my snr brings it down 1-2 db max at the lowest point. With eircom i had sync rates of 15384 x 768 which was also rock solid. Pushing Eircom, I got them to sync it at 17000, whilst my billion modem was spoofing higher snr (handy setting), but at this rate my line would drop twice a week or so. Gave up the higher downloads for faster uploads (and a cheaper imagine connection).
    That doesn't change the fact that the line he mentioned is underperforming based on attenuation also. That line should be getting closer to 15 mbps. Upstream SNR is particularly weak.

Anyway, there are dozens of posts here and on Talk to: eircom where people complain about repeated disconnects with speed increases. The line connects at whatever speed generates a signal margin of 6dB but lines often still suffer from disconnects with the signal margin reaching 0dB within a couple of minutes!

Intermittent line faults and sporadic electromagnetic interference are all too common in Ireland. I'd say running a stable connection at 2 to 3 dB signal margin is the exception, not the norm.

Advertisement