Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Fluctuating SNR means something's interfering with the line. It's either crosstalk from another DSL line in the same bundle or it could be anything really.

A long line might have low SNR but it wouldn't fluctuate, it would just be permanently low.

They will have to start taking line noise issues for DSL more seriously. Their attiude for years has been pretty much - if we can't hear crackles in the voice service, you can put up with it!

The reality is that means customers go to UPC and FWA / WISP providers and eircom loses yet another line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Solair wrote: »
    Fluctuating SNR means something's interfering with the line. It's either crosstalk from another DSL line in the same bundle or it could be anything really.

A long line might have low SNR but it wouldn't fluctuate, it would just be permanently low.

They will have to start taking line noise issues for DSL more seriously. Their attiude for years has been pretty much - if we can't hear crackles in the voice service, you can put up with it!

Vectoring is supposed to deal with those interference issues..we'll see if it actually does or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

not necessarily, internals reek havoc on SNR, vectoring will do bog all to combat that

arctan wrote: »
    not necessarily, internals reek havoc on SNR, vectoring will do bog all to combat that

Well, the lines will also be a hell of a lot shorter.

My query is if there's already EMF / RF interference on the line back to the exchange, how is that removed from the line as it passes through the cabinet and VDSL is applied. The same old crackly, noisy pair is still physically connected all for the sake of providing a dial tone you may not even want.

Is there a filter in the DSLAM in the cabinet that slices off all extraneous frequencies other than stuff in the voice band before it connects it to VDSL?

Otherwise, you'll have all sorts of noise from "dirty" lines passing through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

there is exactly that in the cabinet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

That doesn't change the fact that the line he mentioned is underperforming based on attenuation also. That line should be getting closer to 15 mbps. Upstream SNR is particularly weak.

Anyway, there are dozens of posts here and on Talk to: eircom where people complain about repeated disconnects with speed increases. The line connects at whatever speed generates a signal margin of 6dB but lines often still suffer from disconnects with the signal margin reaching 0dB within a couple of minutes!

Intermittent line faults and sporadic electromagnetic interference are all too common in Ireland. I'd say running a stable connection at 2 to 3 dB signal margin is the exception, not the norm.

I was told by Sky that my line is capable of getting 18 Mb, but for whatever reason, I won't get better than 12 Mb. Is my noise margin responsible for this?

Here is a screenshot of my stats:

By the way, I'm using an eircom router for Sky, in case you're wondering.

atn0cw.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Just like to observe that eircoms rollout plans once ramped up to full speed involve installing about 70 cabinets a WEEK on average between now and the end of 2014.

It would not surprise me were the install rate up to 200 a week in the good weather window in April - June. This is a very impressive ramp by eircom who could barely manage to enable 100 exchanges a year when rolling out the original DSL network....and didn't manage 200 in any single year ....not even 2007 or 2008.

At this stage some areas are running way ahead of the schedule that was announced in 'phases' last year with some exchanges due for launch in December 2013 already appearing largely complete and with equipment already confirmed installed in some of the small December 2014 target exchange areas.

eircom are of course entirely welcome to launch these early as long as they give the full 6 months notice as required by Comreg.

By now all of the exchanges listed below should have started even if only pulling subduct in ( the orange tube) followed by the digging gangs who install the concrete cabinet plinths.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Phase_4/

Hopefully they do the decent thing and complete the 2007 program using spare equipment. 15 of the Originally Announced March 2007
    exchanges are not enabled as of March 2013 and an apology for the 6 year delay is long overdue.

Keep on mapping guys, links below. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Just like to observe that eircoms rollout plans once ramped up to full speed involve installing about 70 cabinets a WEEK on average between now and the end of 2014.

It would not surprise me were the install rate up to 200 a week in the good weather window in April - June. This is a very impressive ramp by eircom who could barely manage to enable 100 exchanges a year when rolling out the original DSL network....and didn't manage 200 in any single year ....not even 2007 or 2008.

At this stage some areas are running way ahead of the schedule that was announced in 'phases' last year with some exchanges due for launch in December 2013 already appearing largely complete and with equipment already confirmed installed in some of the small December 2014 target exchange areas.

eircom are of course entirely welcome to launch these early as long as they give the full 6 months notice as required by Comreg.

By now all of the exchanges listed below should have started even if only pulling subduct in ( the orange tube) followed by the digging gangs who install the concrete cabinet plinths.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Phase_4/

Hopefully they do the decent thing and complete the 2007 program using spare equipment. 15 of the Originally Announced March 2007
    exchanges are not enabled as of March 2013 and an apology for the 6 year delay is long overdue.

Keep on mapping guys, links below. :)

They started in Mullingar a few months back and there are cabs everywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Think I have added most of the remaining Mullingar Cabinets, but there's bound to be a few more as they seem very close together in some areas but further apart in others

Mullingar is pretty densely covered. There is a mini cabinetised exchange inside Lakepoint Business Park (compound to left behind that hoarding I think) and eircom would have a VDSL cab somewhere between there and the entrance I should think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

There's only a handful of businesses there and the nearest residence is about 3-400 metre away. Seems a strange place to have a cab.

I suspect they put in mini exchanges in some recent business parks because there was already fibre going in for business use and its probably easier and more future proof than installing loads of lines running from the main exchange.

I mean, copper bundles are expensive and may need extra ducts laid too as they're thick. Where as fibre is pretty easy to blow down a subduct.

They seem common enough in some business parks and even the odd housing estate even though they're well within the coverage area of an existing exchange.

If those cabinet E10 or AXE concentrators are cheap enough, it might justify it instead if running all that copper.

Just guessing, but it would seem like the only reason they're so fond of those cabinet systems in some recently built locations.

Traditional voice telephony services will end up being provided from a port on your VDSL or fibre to home modem eventually anyway using VoIP, it's probably cheaper to just let that transition happen naturally rather than actually switching off exchanges though. That's probably why they're not going to install MSAN cabinets that could do voice too and replace the exchanges.

BT had plans to do that in the UK but seems to have abandoned them largely. Their 1980s/90s digital exchanges will be hanging around a while longer too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

in limerick kn networks have installed new cabinets in kileely...northside of the city, down from quilty's pub....right across from that local shop. See where that car is parked?....is a tarmack area right there:
    http://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/feehans-sexton-street-north-thomondgate-limerick/190968
    new cabinets also right on the corner where tubs and tiles is, fairgreen, ballysimon road.

I will take pics of the cabs during the week,

Richard.

Limerick City is covered by 6 exchanges and this map shows where each serves. I expect to see cabs within the areas served by Limerick(Roches Street) and Dooradoyle and at a stretch there may be some in the Castletroy and Caherdavin exchange areas by now. There will be soon.

I would not bother with Athlunkard or Crossagalla though, not unless the other 4 are complete. They are 2014 build exchanges.

HTH

245430.png

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Apologies if it's old news but I received a leaflet through the door today (Monday March 18) saying Eircom efibre was coming to my area soon. I'm living in Ballincollig, Co Cork. It is advertising speeds of up to 70Mb.
    I registered my interest with them at eircom.ie/efibre and got a standard reply saying they'll be in touch when its rolled out in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Apologies if it's old news but I received a leaflet through the door today (Monday March 18) saying Eircom efibre was coming to my area soon. I'm living in Ballincollig, Co Cork. It is advertising speeds of up to 70Mb.
    I registered my interest with them at eircom.ie/efibre and got a standard reply saying they'll be in touch when its rolled out in my area.

Yeah, It seems we've had a small few getting these at the moment. It probably shows where the areas that are completed with fibre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

some delivered in ennis as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

got one in douglas on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    some delivered in ennis as well.

yep :)

The leaflet says that efibre is free for existing customers so it looks like they will supply the modems at no extra cost for the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

ElNino wrote: »
    yep :)

The leaflet says that efibre is free for existing customers so it looks like they will supply the modems at no extra cost for the upgrade.

Free installation but what will the bundle prices be like. It'll be interesting to see what the price changes will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Letterkenny hit with these today as well. Roll on 12th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Magnet make an announcement, very few details:
    https://www.magnet.ie/netflix-ranks-magnets-broadband-the-fastest-in-ireland/

Today’s rankings come just months ahead of Magnet’s ‘fatpipe’ broadband nationwide rollout using both Magnet’s and eircom’s wholesales’ network. This will see Magnet provide ‘fatpipe’ speeds up to 70Mb for 500,000 homes in 2013 with a full reach of 1.2m homes when completed.
    Could they have chosen a worse name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It may not be a good name, but it's different. Sometimes different is memorable. I think Magnet have dreams of becoming a big player. Rather than a tiny little ISP.

I spotted another green cab today in Limerick City....right next to St. Joseph's Church

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Nice one, didnt get the leaflet yet but im in the mountain top area, so preob do the town first. So 12th of may is the release date to this fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

GIMickey wrote: »
    Nice one, didnt get the leaflet yet but im in the mountain top area, so preob do the town first. So 12th of may is the release date to this fibre?

Your nearest cabinet is just off the Mountain Top roundabout.

See the map here.

Letterkenny is very well mapped as are Balbriggan and Swords and Ballincollig to name a few other prime examples.

Zoom in and then grab a link from the link transparent.pngms?msid=200976005490800150654.0004d6a674e6be3826dcb&msa=0&ll=54.958398,-7.715149&spn=0.040312,0.127716icon and you see this clear picture. .

http://goo.gl/maps/fEji0

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

I can count at least 3 locations that are not on that map for letterkenny, but not sure how to update the map. The locations are,

Thornberry, Mountain top.
    Ashfield, carnamuggagh. (Beside premerica)
    Manorview park, long lane.

Trust me there are more than them 3 not on the map.

These locations arent on the map.

• Advertisement

GIMickey wrote: »
    I can count at least 3 locations that are not on that map for letterkenny, but not sure how to update the map. The locations are,

Thornberry, Mountain top.
    Ashfield, carnamuggagh. (Beside premerica)
    Manorview park, long lane.

Do you mean here here and here

Trust me there are more than them 3 not on the map.

Keep them coming with accurate descriptions and they will be marked.

Advertisement