Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I was out and about yesterday and saw an Eircom guy working on a cabinet on the top of Clarkes Hill (near Garry Duff) Anyway I asked him did he have FFTC there and he said that it was all installed and ready to go and all the cabinets in that area. He was quite pissed off with the regulator saying that they are delaying them from launching until may/june time since they are ready to rock and roll now.

Good news anyway that I should will be within the 1000m range and I should be able to get 50mg within that range. I am only getting 4mg at best atm:(

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Good news anyway that I should will be within the 1000m range and I should be able to get 50mg within that range. I am only getting 4mg at best atm:(

You wont get 50mbits at 1000m, really you need to be within 400m of a cabinet to get up to 100mbits at some stage in future. You would get over 10mbits at 1000m but 20 would be pushing it. Mark the cabs using the links in my sig below if you have a gmail address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Will eircom have new modems for their fibre offering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Will eircom have new modems for their fibre offering?

Yes, older modems do not support VDSL2 and it's also likely that they'll want some specific modems to ensure optimal compatibility with their implementation of vectoring (crosstalk suppression).

You'll definitely be provided with a modem by eircom, or another operator if you're using someone else on the VDSL2 / FTTC network when it switches on in May.

I'd suspect it'll be some kind of branded 'hub' type device.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

for the trail in dublin / wexford, i think technicolor modems were supplied
    something like:
    http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/digital-home/mediaaccess/dsl/advanced-service-gateways/vdsl/tg789vn-v3

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd expect something like that alright. It's a full access gateway device, that includes VoIP services too.

A bit of Googling revealed this :

http://www.neatdesign.ie/index.php/projects/project/47-eircom-fibre-modem-3d-visuals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Will all resellers offer the fttc service straight away? We're on Vodafone on (I think) an unbundled / bt line at the moment.

Will all resellers offer the fttc service straight away? We're on Vodafone on (I think) an unbundled / bt line at the moment.

They're not just resellers, they are using eircom's new local network to access customers, and should be given the same level of access as eircom retail (in theory anyway) so it's a level playing field.

So, you'll be using the same cabinet out on the street, and the same access equipment, but the data will be handed back to the other operator at some point and carried over their backbone network, rather than eircom's network.

It's the same with "bitstream" wholesale ADSL.

In theory, they will be launching at the same time as Eircom's VDSL products, but I suppose it's up to individual provider when they actually launch.

The process is delayed until sometime in May because of this. Other operators wanted more time to test how their networks and sales / customer care systems would interact with Eircom's wholesale VDSL system.

Eircom wanted to launch a.s.a.p., but Comreg's held it up to ensure full competition is available first as otherwise eircom retail would have a head start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I hope they don't go cheap on the CPE. I've had so much trouble with lots of dsl modems over the years. It would be like an own goal support wise also.

Sponge Bob,

On our map, perhaps we should be putting the exchange on the map as well, since surely they will be delivering vdsl from the exchange directly? I think it may be helpful. Could an already existing exchange list be overlaid on the master map.

Also Sponge Bob, "Balbriggan -Balruddery wood/ enterance

Last Updated by Itsmuck 4 hours ago"

There is no new cabinet there as and from 5 minutes ago. I think people are confusing the old cabinets with the new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Yeah I hope that they don't put custom firmware on their fibre modems like they did with all their adsl modems which I found unusable for Xbox gaming and WMP video streaming.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    I Could an already existing exchange list be overlaid on the master map.

Will do, tonight.
    Also Sponge Bob, "Balbriggan -Balruddery wood/ enterance

Last Updated by Itsmuck 4 hours ago"

There is no new cabinet there as and from 5 minutes ago. I think people are confusing the old cabinets with the new ones.

Delete it so, I didnt actually put that on the map, I anonymised the dataset by making it appear to be my work though so sorry for the confusion. BTW Balbriggan exchanges are always moved to page 1 as Balbriggan is so well mapped overall...only the best efforts go on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Do you mean here here and here

Keep them coming with accurate descriptions and they will be marked.

Thornberry is correct,
    Manorview park, come down the road about 20m. Google maps this 54.962581, -7.742414
    Ashfield wasnt hypetlinked. same for this 54.967459, -7.729075

If i new how to update the map i would, i have gmail account but couldnt find the edit button lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

You wont get 50mbits at 1000m, really you need to be within 400m of a cabinet to get up to 100mbits at some stage in future. You would get over 10mbits at 1000m but 20 would be pushing it. Mark the cabs using the links in my sig below if you have a gmail address.

Had a look and its already marked up. The one on Clarke's hill is anyway. I am sure they have cabs in Mount Oval too as I saw them pulling fiber all last summer in Mount Oval and the eircom geezer said they did also. If I find one Ill post it

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Zyxel eFibre router will be the CPE .... sort of similar to the black Thompson ones they have now, except a bit smaller and I dont think it has a dock for a DECT phone ...

got a leaflet in today about eFibre coming to my area soon ... my exchange is on phase 5, and when I was talking to someone in Eircom recently, they said it hadn't even been planned yet ... hmmm will see over the next few months what happens

You were rated for 68mbits at 600m for the pre launch trial was it and they gave you 50 as you could not quite reach 70 ???

ok went out for a wee drive to find 2 more cabs in the mountain top area of letterkenny.

54.981391,-7.721951
    54.969802, -7.730851

Sorry for all the co-ordinates, but if someone updates the map of letterkenny, it will look better now lol.

So your 600m from the closet cabinet and your modem is syncing at 68meg, then there is gud news for me being 417m from my closet cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 endap

cable route might not be the same as road route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

GIMickey wrote: »
    So your 600m from the closet cabinet and your modem is syncing at 68meg, then there is gud news for me being 417m from my closet cabinet.

How did you get an accurate measurement, walking and counting your paces?

According to Google maps, I'm around 350m from mine.

Meter wheel at 4 in the morning lol

• Advertisement

GIMickey wrote: »
    Meter wheel at 4 in the morning lol

I was thinking of doing the same thing. How much do they cost?

Moved letterkenny stuff to its rightful home on Page 1

no idea, it was my da's, he's a hoarder. prob bought it at a car boot sale, but it did its business for me.

Moved letterkenny stuff to its rightful home on Page 1

Not to sound stupid, but whats page 1.

Do u mean page 1 of this thread or something else??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

endap wrote: »
    cable route might not be the same as road route

Would you be able to post some speedtests and some ping tests (maybe to rte.ie and boards.ie) and confirm what your upload rate is synced at....and perhaps even let us know what speeds your getting with downloads.

We are a little curious :)

need to know the run of the cable to be accurate.they dont always go the way you might think, but stepping it would probably give you a reasonable enough measure. i'd say allow for an extra 100m though!

How did you figure out you were 600m away from the cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

arctan wrote: »
    Zyxel eFibre router will be the CPE .... sort of similar to the black Thompson ones they have now, except a bit smaller and I dont think it has a dock for a DECT phone ...

got a leaflet in today about eFibre coming to my area soon ... my exchange is on phase 5, and when I was talking to someone in Eircom recently, they said it hadn't even been planned yet ... hmmm will see over the next few months what happens

Greystones is also on Phase 5. I haven't seen any work here. :(

:)cant post speedtests,its not my connection. the upload was 20. i know the distance cos its what i do.

Go to speedtest.net and copy the link to the forum.

"Its what I do"...mhmmm, what do you mean?

Its my job . i installed a fibre trial connection.:)

Ah OK. Fair enough. Where was that done and where will you be operating? :D

• Advertisement

He told you, it is in Ennis which is one of 3 or 4 trial exchanges nationwide.

Advertisement