Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭swoofer

I dont think we should post prices on here that are way over the top, it may encourage EIRCOM to try it on. We should be getting on to COMREG saying prices should come down not up. What we have had is a grossly overpriced ie an old banger at rolls royce prices and now should be pay back, ie lower prices for a hopefully superior product.

This is where sky could make a killing. I could move to sky for 40 euro a month, saving of 22 euro but cant trust them yet( see other posts) but they cant muck up fibre,, or can they?

so new fibre = lower not higher prices. The prices in the uk are cheap as chips now.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I dont think we should post prices on here that are way over the top, it may encourage EIRCOM to try it on. We should be getting on to COMREG saying prices should come down not up. What we have had is a grossly overpriced ie an old banger at rolls royce prices and now should be pay back, ie lower prices for a hopefully superior product.

This is where sky could make a killing. I could move to sky for 40 euro a month, saving of 22 euro but cant trust them yet( see other posts) but they cant muck up fibre,, or can they?

so new fibre = lower not higher prices. The prices in the uk are cheap as chips now.

The UK is also a much larger market with much more competitors. The Irish broadband market is an oligopoly, hence why Sky came in at just under eircom's prices.

oligopoly = a beautiful word that sums up BB here exactly.

The prices should not be that high, COMREG should do more but.....

If fibre is too high we should boycott it but I bet eircom are aiming at those with awful speeds ie less than 2mb and I bet they are quite numerous.

I get 6-7 mbconstant and can remember when it was terrible with eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

oligopoly = a beautiful word that sums up BB here exactly.

The prices should not be that high, COMREG should do more but.....

If fibre is too high we should boycott it but I bet eircom are aiming at those with awful speeds ie less than 2mb and I bet they are quite numerous.

I get 6-7 mbconstant and can remember when it was terrible with eircom.

We overpay for everything though. The TV market is lacking so much in competition that people are paying next to €100 per month for TV!?

eircom have the opportunity to price their broadband competitively enough that they start to regain more market share. With the launch of IPTV set for this year also, they could be looking at quite a good year in terms of customer numbers. Their TV and broadband offering is likely to be similarly priced to UPC.

From what I've read up about the broadband market, I've seen that eircom are still pricing themselves above the price floor set by Comreg. Could this be where they reduce prices to the minimum required? It's a big year for all of the providers, and nobody is going to show their hand until the service is launched!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I wouldn't fall for any of these pre launch contracts either. Wait until May 20th and see what's actually being offered by the various providers.

You could easily end up tied to some 12 month contract at a higher price than necessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

COMREG? They are busy receiving millions in bonuses.

Telecoms quango paid staff €3m bonuses as prices soar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

red_bairn wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any prices quoted for Eircom's future setup.

I can't envisage new prices being cheaper with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

We overpay for everything though. The TV market is lacking so much in competition that people are paying next to €100 per month for TV!?

eircom have the opportunity to price their broadband competitively enough that they start to regain more market share. With the launch of IPTV set for this year also, they could be looking at quite a good year in terms of customer numbers. Their TV and broadband offering is likely to be similarly priced to UPC.

From what I've read up about the broadband market, I've seen that eircom are still pricing themselves above the price floor set by Comreg. Could this be where they reduce prices to the minimum required? It's a big year for all of the providers, and nobody is going to show their hand until the service is launched!

I know my dad is paying €50 with UPC. €55? - Eircom 8Mb; €5 - UK calls
    They'd need to make something similar in their price plan (bundle) like UPC's offers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Solair wrote: »
    I wouldn't fall for any of these pre launch contracts either. Wait until May 20th and see what's actually being offered by the various providers.

You could easily end up tied to some 12 month contract at a higher price than necessary

This. Best case scenario you might get it a few days sooner by signing a contract now as opposed to ringing them on May 20th. Not worth it.

I know loads of people who are paying less than €100 for TV and broadband. Even if you get Sky with Movies, Sports and HD you'd only be paying about €70 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This. Best case scenario you might get it a few days sooner by signing a contract now as opposed to ringing them on May 20th. Not worth it.

I know loads of people who are paying less than €100 for TV and broadband. Even if you get Sky with Movies, Sports and HD you'd only be paying about €70 a month.

There's not all that different a market in the UK to be honest.

You've BT (Openreach) infrastructure being used by most suppliers.

Virgin (UPC) is the only mainstream alternative to a BT line.

The big difference over there was 1) virgin and its predecessors were in the broadband market before BT and long before the Irish cable networks were supplying widespread broadband

Eircom had an access network monopoly, largely because the cable networks weren't up to it until UPC took them over and gave eircom a serious challenger with no dependency on eircom wholesale.

2) Ofcom is far more aggressive than ComReg. BT got basically split up into Openreach and BT retail.

You've also got much bigger economies of scale in Britain as there are just way more people and big, dense urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge very interesting analysis, one point, UPC now also offer unlimited downloads, since Sky entered the market.

Solair, Eircom have actually trying to get differential pricing past Comreg. They want to be able to charge lower prices in areas serviced by UPC and higher prices everywhere else.

This is obviously a terrible idea, as it would mean areas with no competition subsidising urban areas and would make it less likely that UPC would continue to expand their network. Basically it would stifle competition and we would all be the worse for it. Hopefully Comreg will knock this one on it's head.

I don't think Eircom can match UPC's prices. I think UPC are currently charging relatively high prices as they currently face no competition at all for quality broadband.

But I think UPC have plenty of margin and wiggle room to drop prices to undercut Eircom significantly if they face real competition. UPC have shown themselves to be very aggressive in the past, so I don't see why this wouldn't continue. UPC certainly aren't just going to roll over after Eircom launch VDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

bk wrote: »
    Solair, Eircom have actually trying to get differential pricing past Comreg. They want to be able to charge lower prices in areas serviced by UPC and higher prices everywhere else.

This is obviously a terrible idea, as it would mean areas with no competition subsidising urban areas and would make it less likely that UPC would continue to expand their network.

It is good idea, if small rural exchange can generate 10 customers willing to pay 150pm, they might become more inclined to invest with broadband in that village. Preventing free market would stifle infrastructure growth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC need only upgrade their standard package to 100mbits and eircom are left chasing them again , albeit not as badly as now where the average eircom speed in the cities is a fraction of the average UPC speeds in the same cities.

Have a look at this link.... as things are now.

UPC nearly 6 times faster than eircom in Dublin
    today.

http://www.netindex.com/download/4,14/Dublin/?tab=3

UPC download at 29.91mbits ( the one above is some IP addresses they got elsewhere but a minority of the pool)
    eircom download 5.61mbits...note how they have plateaued.

the eircom data does not include rural speed tests as they are 'presented' via a different BRAS. Watch that metric starting from June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

it seems like the extension is put on around when the fibre cab is due to be put in

I'll look into the white cabs and what is happening, I know some will definitely have to be replaced but the other type Im not too sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

arctan wrote: »
    it seems like the extension is put on around when the fibre cab is due to be put in

I'll look into the white cabs and what is happening, I know some will definitely have to be replaced but the other type Im not too sure about.

Any ideas what kind of speeds can we expect to get in Ireland with Fiber to Cabinet and Fiber to home ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

can you use the google street thingy to measure distance?....i want to see how far my nearest cab is to my house, it looks to be within 500m....but want to check. Or is there an app i can download to measure distance?

I cant see eircom offering big price differences....i think they are less worried by UPC then people think. the prices will be higher then say the 24mb packages....i'll also bet it will be 50mb the first year, 60mb 2nd and then 70mb the third year.

I think it'll be 50-70 Euro pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

can you use the google street thingy to measure distance?....i want to see how far my nearest cab is to my house, it looks to be within 500m....but want to check. Or is there an app i can download to measure distance?

Mark your house on google maps and then set a journey to where the cab is. Of course, this will only give you a guesstimate.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Any ideas what kind of speeds can we expect to get in Ireland with Fiber to Cabinet and Fiber to home ?

i think it will depend just like it currently does, distance to the vdsl cab and then the quality of your line/wiring etc.

i'm on the 24mb package but only get 10mb down and 1mb up....so god knows what this fibre malarky will give me.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The quality of your own internal wiring will also be an issue, as it already is for ADSL. I do a bit of PC troubleshooting in peoples' homes and some of the wiring you see, especially in older houses, would make your toes curl. Sometimes it's a miracle they even manage to get a voice connection let alone any kind of digital one.

• Advertisement

richard dont give them ideas, its got to be cheaper than at present as they have conned us with that copper, ie they have sweated it to destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think anyone worrying about pricing on these new packages need not worry. The prices will have to be competitive with UPC otherwise Eircom may as well give up. They will be able to price it in order to take back a certain amount of UPC business.

A 500gig FUP on the up to 50m/bit package would not surprise me it also wouldn't disappoint me. Some operators may go with that.. Although some may choose unlimited.

The top product up to 70m/bit will undoubtedly need to be unlimited.

I don't think anyone need worry about us influencing Eircom's pricing staff. I think they had their minds made up long ago :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

A guy has a 25mb down 6 up eircom speedtest in the speedtest thread btw.....

why even do it upc can do 4 gig a second if they want
    whats the point of eircom spending money creating a network that cant even beat their competitors current service.

I get 157 down 9 up consistently for like 55 euro on upc
    Eircom wont ever match the up or down nevermind the price.
    UPC will setup all across farmlandia too and then even the farmers will realise double the speed for half the price is better.... pretty sure they,ll just compare it to how they buy tractors.

I am not so sure, I am sure that had some details online about pricing and then all of a sudden took it back down. And it was on here the link was posted.

what amazes me is I have heard or seen nothing from VF.

And another thing that brassed me off was on Tom Dunne today where he had a segment on broadband and the guest, whose name escapes me, started off with you can get 24mb bb and then moved to upc and 50mb. But fair play to Tom he read out a few texts where people said they were lucky to get 2mb or even less or no BB at all. Near the end they glossed over the new eircom fibre but all in all it was a bit disappointing. No mention about distance form exchange or upload speeds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

I am not so sure, I am sure that had some details online about pricing and then all of a sudden took it back down. And it was on here the link was posted.

what amazes me is I have heard or seen nothing from VF.

And another thing that brassed me off was on Tom Dunne today where he had a segment on broadband and the guest, whose name escapes me, started off with you can get 24mb bb and then moved to upc and 50mb. But fair play to Tom he read out a few texts where people said they were lucky to get 2mb or even less or no BB at all. Near the end they glossed over the new eircom fibre but all in all it was a bit disappointing. No mention about distance form exchange or upload speeds.

as i said theres a speedtest in the megathread with 6 up on a 25mb package....also why are you all on about distance from exchange....this is fibre in Ireland...unless its in donegal and you,r in wexford it will barely matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    as i said theres a speedtest in the megathread with 6 up on a 25mb package....also why are you all on about distance from exchange....this is fibre in Ireland...unless its in donegal and you,r in wexford it will barely matter.

Its only fibre as far as the cabinet so distance matters greatly as it always has for ADSL. Your still on ordinary twister copper pair from the cabinet to your premises. Eircom will no doubt match UPC's upload speeds. On the FTTC trial they were giving 20mb upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

leigh852 wrote: »
    Its only fibre as far as the cabinet so distance matters greatly as it always has for ADSL. Your still on ordinary twister copper pair from the cabinet to your premises. Eircom will no doubt match UPC's upload speeds. On the FTTC trial they were giving 20mb upload.
    So, for example, if you were around 100m to the Cabinet - at a guess / estimate what sort of speed might you get (e.g. if they're offering an up to 50Mb/s package) ... 75% of advertised speed?

thanks (apologies for the newbie type question)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hmm......My sabnzbd usually reports in the region of 5.6 Mb/s at 'full tilt' download. Logged on there and it was showing 40 Mb/s for a few minutes :). Back to normal now though. Could this indicate testing of fibre lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

So, for example, if you were around 100m to the Cabinet - at a guess / estimate what sort of speed might you get (e.g. if they're offering an up to 50Mb/s package) ... 75% of advertised speed?

thanks (apologies for the newbie type question)

Eircom has a chart somewhere on page 41 or 42 of this technical handbook that shows estimates speeds at certian distances from the cabinet. The handbook dosnt seem to be opening it up anymore but here is the link regardless. Others might know of the top of their head even. :)

• Advertisement

padraig if your with eircom mabye but if with others I doubt it. to switch to fibre its an actual physical thing, hence visit to the home. the line at the old cabinet is ceased and then connected to the vdsl cabinet, which begs the question what are they going to do with the old redundant copper line all the way back to the exchange. Is copper not very expensive?

as for speeds until they actually hook people up no one knows. when i was with eircom they insisted my line was maxed out at 3mb but I moved to bt and got them to lift restrciction on line and get over 6mb now. i bet eircom slow speed down as per usual to avoid too much hassle.

gbc

Advertisement