Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thanks, I know where those exchanges I mentioned are and am sure there is a VDSL cab there too, if you find a new one the link is below in my sig.

Just note the three letters on the yellow labels affixed to the cabs. I am pretty confident that your exchange ROK can launch in 2013 not 2014 but cannot say when. There are at least 10 small exchanges out there that could launch this year not in 2014 I reckon.

A lot of the confusion was caused by eircom basically letting a pack of Chinese lads working for Huawei design their new network for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Rang Eircom today. Told him I wasn't recontracting, but said he that prices are more or less the same!

From his logic... 10mb would be 40-45, 25mb would be 45-50 and 50(70)mb would be the 55-60....

Only a guesstimate... But we shall see!

From his logic... 10mb would be 40-45, 25mb would be 45-50 and 50(70)mb would be the 55-60....

Only a guesstimate... But we shall see!

10 mbit will be "the 55-60" (same as now) if you are 1000m+ from the Cabinet. If you are NEAR the cabinet you will get "50(70)mb" as you put it for the same price. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    10 mbit will be "the 55-60" (same as now) if you are 1000m+ from the Cabinet. If you are NEAR the cabinet you will get "50(70)mb" as you put it for the same price. :)

I am about that distance at the moment and only getting 2mb - i think i'll take the 10mb for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jasper1

A lot of the confusion was caused by eircom basically letting a pack of Chinese lads working for Huawei design their new network for them :)

I find this slur to be racist, offensive and untrue from many different perspectives. Putting a smiley face after it does not make it true or inoffensive. Pack is not a neutral label for a group of people.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

jasper1 wrote: »
    I find this slur to be racist, offensive and untrue from many different perspectives. Putting a smiley face after it does not make it true or inoffensive. Pack is not a neutral label for a group of people.:mad:

Not sure if you're being hilarious there, but i think the insinuation here was that a group of people with no practical knowledge of the local existing network or geography were put in charge of a project that requires fairly comprehensive knowledge of both. Underlining that argument by highlighting that the group came over from China is hardly racist. It seems to be getting easier to be offensive and / or racist these days. Smiley face!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I very much doubt we'll see 28mb up anytime soon, considering UPC is 10mb max now. I think Eircom at most on the max package will have 5mb and then 4mb on the 60mb package and 3mb on the 50mb etc.

Personally i cannot see 70mb being offered in the initial round, they will stretch this fibre stuff out over 3 years imo.

50mb year 1, max speed/package
    60mb year 2
    70mb year 3

We'll have cheaper packages ranging from 30mb-50mb in year one. Caps between 300-500GB with add-ons at extra cost. I registered my interest with Vodaphone....i want to be upgraded right away.

I have tolerated sh*tty BB for 10 feckin years now.....:mad:

I very much hope you will be wrong about the 3 / 4 / 5 mbit upload speeds. They are maxing out the potential download speeds certainly on the 70 mbit package, I think they will max out the upload speed as well. So 20 mbit.

Also you may also be wrong about 30 mbit any time soon on the uploads. With the vectoring upgrade I think we will see a max package of 100+ mbit down and 30 mbit up.

If upc were not around you would have been right, eircom would have gotten years of upgrades out of this technology.

I think it will go like this,

This year - max vdsl2 + potential speeds (on fastest package) 70 x 20
    In a year - max vectoring potential speeds (on fastest package) ~100 x 30
    3-5 years - max bonded vectored speeds ~200 x 50

http://www2.alcatel-lucent.com/techzine/vdsl2-vectoring-delivers-on-its-promise/

interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It would have either been contracted to Alcatel-Lucent or Huawei as both participated in the earlier trials.

I would assume eircom did the design a few years ago themselves. The equipment supplier doesn't work on their own.

The confusion seems to arrise because the technical documentation predates vectoring and I don't think they had that technology available for the trail run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Praetorian wrote: »
    I very much hope you will be wrong about the 3 / 4 / 5 mbit upload speeds. They are maxing out the potential download speeds certainly on the 70 mbit package, I think they will max out the upload speed as well. So 20 mbit.

Also you may also be wrong about 30 mbit any time soon on the uploads. With the vectoring upgrade I think we will see a max package of 100+ mbit down and 30 mbit up.

If upc were not around you would have been right, eircom would have gotten years of upgrades out of this technology.

I think it will go like this,

This year - max vdsl2 + potential speeds (on fastest package) 70 x 20
    In a year - max vectoring potential speeds (on fastest package) ~100 x 30
    3-5 years - max bonded vectored speeds ~200 x 50

http://www2.alcatel-lucent.com/techzine/vdsl2-vectoring-delivers-on-its-promise/

interesting reading.

I've about 14mb download at the moment on NGB and I'm pretty happy with that because it streams whatever content I want in HD whilst still being able to browse etc, even with multiple users. All I really care about is the upload for cloud uploads, Skype, sharing my media etc, so I do really hope they offer more than just 2 or 3mb upload. This race to have the highest download speed (regardless of upload, contention, reliability or other factors) reminds me of the old CPU days when it was a race to have the most Ghz, regardless of any other factors.

I would happily trade 80MB down / 2MB up for 40MB down / 10MB up, so I hope this'll be an option. Even if it's a case of paying an extra fiver a month for extra upload speed, similar to what Smart Telecom was doing a few years ago on their ADSL2 packages. Seems for fair for those power users that require enhanced upload speeds.

I've about 14mb download at the moment on NGB and I'm pretty happy with that because it streams whatever content I want in HD whilst still being able to browse etc, even with multiple users. All I really care about is the upload for cloud uploads, Skype, sharing my media etc, so I do really hope they offer more than just 2 or 3mb upload. This race to have the highest download speed (regardless of upload, contention, reliability or other factors) reminds me of the old CPU days when it was a race to have the most Ghz, regardless of any other factors.

I would happily trade 80MB down / 2MB up for 40MB down / 10MB up, so I hope this'll be an option. Even if it's a case of paying an extra fiver a month for extra upload speed, similar to what Smart Telecom was doing a few years ago on their ADSL2 packages. Seems for fair for those power users that require enhanced upload speeds.

Everyone will need better upload speeds due to cloud computing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

The upload speed on the eircom vdsl 2 is 20 mb , on all 3 product's , 25 / 50 / 70 d/load .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sure even look at what BT in the uk are offering

upto 38mbit down and 9.5 up
    upto 76mbit down and 19 up

I would be happy with a 30 down 20 up connection, over a 50 down 5-7 up connection personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭briany

The upload speed on the eircom vdsl 2 is 20 mb , on all 3 product's , 25 / 50 / 70 d/load .

Sounds OK to me. What's the source on that information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

yeah, where is the source for these stats? A person on the "Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread" doesn't have 20Mbps up. So I'd like to see where you are getting these facts from. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

All the mapped cabs yes. There should be a lot more IMO in the Dooradoyle area.

More?? I can take another look but all the ones I mapped were on major/minor roads without having to venture into housing estates.

Mc Love wrote: »
    More?? I can take another look but all the ones I mapped were on major/minor roads without having to venture into housing estates.

If it a large estate there will be one at the front and one at the back. The planning ratio for a really really well mapped area ( Lusk) indicates crudely one cab per 150-200 premises so if an estate has 300 ish homes there should be one outside and one inside.

Tirellan in Galway has 500 homes and one cab marked, I reckon there are maybe 2 more there or thereabouts and sure I might prowl it meself one of the days to check, apologies to all of Tirellan in advance. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Lad's I know doing the nga install's were telling me , actually I am unsure about the 25 mb product as the lad's I talked to had only done install's where the speed's were 50 / 70 mb, hth's.

Irishgeo published all the profiles only a few days ago, had anyone bothered to look.

I'll explain it simply. !!!!!

Your UPLOAD SPEED depends on distance from the cab.
    Your DOWNLOAD SPEED depends on distance from the cab.

Just like ADSL2+ where none of ye got fully 24mbits down. It comes out the door at top speed though.

UNLIKE ADSL2+ the UPLOAD Speed will be rate adaptive (RA) AS WELL AS the Download Speed when you get VDSL2+

If you need fast uploads MOVE NEAR THE CAB or else move the cab....emm ummm emmmm maybe not the latter in fairness. You move so. :)

Fast Upload and Download speeds will continue to evolve over the next few years and 100mbit product will replace 70mbit product possibly as early as Christmas 2013 or even sooner (but after the big cutover this summer) .

Getting the 'Headline' speeds AT A POINT IN TIME will be possible up to 200-400m from a cab only and up 500m on occasion (depending on what the headline speeds are AT THAT POINT IN TIME and given progress in tech like Vectoring and Bonding etc etc and what offer point the marketing lot are targeting AT THAT POINT IN TIME.

But distances will not change. If you are over 500m from a cab don't ask us why you are not getting headline upload or download speeds because you are asking why the laws of physics apply to you in effect. :p

Lines are classified as stable or 'iffy' and 'iffy' lines are given a 'High Stability' profile. 'High Stability' always = slower.

Some people WILL order an UP TO 20mbit UPLOAD product and may get as little as 5mbits UP at 200m distance depending on 'iffyness' and stability.

If you have an Iffy line and you know the Iffyness is in or close to your premises you can always order a completely new line to overcome the Iffyness, sure it might even be installed by the 20th of May. :)

Here are the speeds Irishgeo posted again.

HTH

248972.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Haven't looked at this thread in a while, there's loads of these new cabs in Ennis, a good few out on the road out to Quin, which is my daily commute. Will get photos now and add to the list. I was talking to an eircom lad who works in the main Drumbiggle exchange and he was telling me it's all ready but the problems with Comreg slowing them, so telling us nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kmafitz

:( Nothing for Tullamore yet ?

• Advertisement

kmafitz wrote: »
    :( Nothing for Tullamore yet ?

Wrong.!!!! Please check the eircom NGA Rollout Activity Tracker for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭swoofer

can i get a new line and ask for it to be installed to nearest cabinet??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

ctlsleh wrote: »
    No problem, ill check them out tomorrow.....can you send me the link on how to but the cabinets up on google maps? I tried to do that from my iPhone yesterday, but couldn't do it....
    Cheers
    Eoin

OK here we go......I tried to edit the map and add details and pictures, but I was defeated....!

Here goes.....no markings on any of the new cabinets, but markings on the old cabinets as follows and New Cabinets installed in all these sited

1. ROK - New cabinet installed - CCP001
    2. Cahercalla - Kilrush road - ENS1-003
    3. Ballymacahill Cross BAX (is across the road at the other junction from the old White Cabinets) - PCP001
    4. Whitepark WPK - (New Cab is hidden about 100M away from old white cabinets towards main road on opposite side) - PCP051
    5. ENS - Kildysart Road - ENS1 - CAB067

I can email photos of all the cabs if needed.......

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Would I be able to tell what speeds I will be able to get by line attenuation?
    My routers says 13/8 dB

RogerThis wrote: »
    Would I be able to tell what speeds I will be able to get by line attenuation?
    My routers says 13/8 dB

The stats from your existing router are for the line from your house all the way to the exchange. The new VDSL2 service runs to a near-by local cabinet, not the whole way to the exchange.

So, basically those stats are not any use for calculating what you might get.

You might be able to figure out roughly how far you are from the local cabinet, although remember the wiring may be ducted in a different way to the roads, so you could be underestimating or overestimating the distance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

ctlsleh wrote: »
    3. Ballymacahill Cross BAX (is across the road at the other junction from the old White Cabinets) - PCP001
    4. Whitepark WPK - (New Cab is hidden about 100M away from old white cabinets towards main road on opposite side) - PCP051

i was just out roslevan an hour ago myself photographing these myself! i missed the ones in whitepark

My local cabinet is also my local exchange, there is no closer one to me, i've searched high up and low down
    I get Attenuation of 9.5dB(Up) and 9.2dB (Down) and Noise Mgn of 12.3dB(Up) 13.6 (Down)......im hoping to be able to get 40-50M when the cabinet get switched on.....is that reasonable based on these losses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭swoofer

@ctlseh, you need a gmail account to access the updating map, so get a gmail account, sign in to gmail, then go and click on the map bit on this post.

on page one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

when map opens it will say sign in so sign in, its so simple it appears a bit complex??

and you should get more than 50mb

• Advertisement

@GBcullen,
    I understand the process, what I didn't realise is that the map is not updated immediately.....thanks for the link clarifying, make it a sticky. Also the editable map doesn't show all the cabs that are already identified for some reason. for example, there are a lot of cabs identified in Ennis already, but not showing on the map where you drop the pin, but showing on the actual VDSL map......hence my confusion.

cheers.......

Advertisement