Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭swoofer

and dont forget to click save!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ctlsleh wrote: »
    @GBcullen,
    I understand the process, what I didn't realise is that the map is not updated immediately.....thanks for the link clarifying, make it a sticky. Also the editable map doesn't show all the cabs that are already identified for some reason. for example, there are a lot of cabs identified in Ennis already, but not showing on the map where you drop the pin, but showing on the actual VDSL map......hence my confusion.

cheers.......

There's 5 pages that towns could be distributed over, tidied it up there a bit for you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ctlsleh wrote: »
    OK here we go......I tried to edit the map and add details and pictures, but I was defeated....!.

Improved Ennis Map > http://goo.gl/maps/X1T11 PM if if there any omissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Improved Ennis Map > http://goo.gl/maps/X1T11 PM if if there any omissions.

Nicely done with the photos. My aunt is out in Wesfields, Ennis. Hopefully somebody can run out that way to see if there are any cabinets done. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

red_bairn wrote: »
    Nicely done with the photos. My aunt is out in Wesfields, Ennis. Hopefully somebody can run out that way to see if there are any cabinets done. :pac:

i'll have a look on my way home to quin today but pretty sure it'd be spotted already, most cabs around there have been added

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Wrong.!!!! Please check the eircom NGA Rollout Activity Tracker for more information.

Any point in adding the TBA areas from Phase 5 to the spreadsheet? Or do you not realistically see these been done in the next 1-2 years. My particular interest is in the Mountmellick area.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

What labels would be on the cabs that are ready to launch in may ? I'll have a look on a couple of the cbar ones.

Getting off mapping. At least 10 exchanges from the 2014 rollout are confirmed as probably complete already.

Most are very small and are:

Dubber
    Kilbreck
    Stamullen
    Deepforde
    Colpe Cross
    Whitepark
    Rockmount
    Clarecastle
    Ballymacahill Cross
    Drogheda AEH

and possibly Ballyalla out near Barefield ( turn left at the crossroads in the big dip past those empty NAMA tin boxes as you head north and then go 100m in to check) or else the/a VDSL unit is in beside the tin boxes in the estate, oh and the two small exchanges in Tralee as well.

I also suspect that unannounced exchanges have been upgraded.
    JackieChan wrote: »
    Any point in adding the TBA areas from Phase 5 to the spreadsheet? Or do you not realistically see these been done in the next 1-2 years. My particular interest is in the Mountmellick area.

No. Not till eircom give a year , eg 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Guys, just want some clarification on who exactly provides cabinets like this. No visible markings, no metal thing on the ground in front of it. I didn't realise that cabinet even existed, and now I discover it and am wondering if that's the one that serves my area. Because if it does... bollocks, no sign of anything replacing it yet, and that's probably where the bottleneck is for us.

There is a VDSL cabinet 600m from us, but from this discovery I'm starting to think it's serving the estate that leads to mine, but not my one itself, assuming the one I linked is an eircom cab.

That is probably powering a set of traffic lights, it ain't xDSL for sure.

• Advertisement

That is probably powering a set of traffic lights, it ain't xDSL for sure.

You sure about that? I mean there's a power distribution plant literally 20 meters away, wouldn't make sense to build so close and not in there. http://i.imgur.com/mOT2iVk.jpg

My pantshitting has been vastly reduced though, thanks

You sure about that? I mean there's a power distribution plant literally 20 meters away, wouldn't make sense to build so close and not in there. http://i.imgur.com/mOT2iVk.jpg

Could be one of the crummier old cable cabinets that Chorus installed. However eircom have never deployed anything that small ( and low down near the water table) with active electronics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Getting off mapping. At least 10 exchanges from the 2014 rollout are confirmed as probably complete already.

Most are very small and are:

I also suspect that unannounced exchanges have been upgraded.

No. Not till eircom give a year , eg 2016.

Realistically speaking, they shouldn't really be classified as independent exchanges at all. They're just tiny remote concentrators. I think in reality Eircom just includes them with their host exchange for these upgrades as they're really just a more modern way of doing a bit of an extension of an area.

It would be almost like classifying every VDSL2 cabinet as an exchange or something.

Guys, just want some clarification on who exactly provides cabinets like this. No visible markings, no metal thing on the ground in front of it. I didn't realise that cabinet even existed, and now I discover it and am wondering if that's the one that serves my area. ...

That's most likely just fuses / circuit breakers for street lighting.

The boxes you're looking for are the taller, fatter, green thing in both of these pics. They're usually located next to an eircom cross-connect cabinet, which is usually a large 2-door green thing, or it can be that other version which is a white plastic taller box with a single door.

But, the fat green cabinet is the VDSL2 fibre unit.

Lots of pics in this post : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84144135&postcount=90

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Upgrading the broadband? I can't even get eircom broadband of any sort where I live. When I phoned up to ask any idea when it might be done, they said they didn't know but keep checking with them. Surely there must be a list somewhere?

Solair wrote: »
    The boxes you're looking for are the taller, fatter, green thing in both of these pics. They're usually located next to an eircom cross-connect cabinet, which is usually a large 2-door green thing, or it can be that other version which is a white plastic taller box with a single door.

But, the fat green cabinet is the VDSL2 fibre unit.

Yeah, here in Arklow we seem to have missed two generations of upgrades so we have decrepit galvanised cabinets which afaik are ~10 years old (rather than the green ones with two doors or tall white ones) being replaced with VDSL cabs.

edit: of course some of the newer areas were brought straight up to spec cabinetwise (e.g., meadowvale, knockmore) but had super crap backhaul

Yeah, here in Arklow we seem to have missed two generations of upgrades so we have decrepit galvanised cabinets which afaik are ~10 years old (rather than the green ones with two doors or tall white ones) being replaced with VDSL cabs.

edit: of course some of the newer areas were brought straight up to spec cabinetwise (e.g., meadowvale, knockmore) but had super crap backhaul

Yeah, there are some really ancient cross-connect cabinets around. It's similar in the UK, France etc etc though, they're junction boxes. There's nothing particularly interesting in them. They're just a big box with a bunch of connectors for connecting local lines to the main wiring that goes back to the exchange. The technology hasn't changed in decades.

I'd say quite a few of them date back to the 1960s or whenever dial-telephone service came to certain areas. They'd only have been replaced if / when necessary. There's no particular reason why they'd have replaced them unless they were rewiring the whole area or something.

The only reason the new cross-connect cabinets (PCP cabinets) are going in is that they need the ability to interconnect VDSL2 wiring easily and need things laid out logically, fairly standardised and with plenty of space.

The older ones were probably smaller, more cramped, maybe not in great condition and not necessarily standard either.

What you're looking out for though is the VDSL2 cabinet, which are all identical looking new green cabinets with a big hinge at one side.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Surely there must be a list somewhere?

This is eircom , you can see a list of places promised basic Broadband (it was never delivered) back in 2007 if you search this forum for " Kilrickle " and 250 exchange areas were never promised anything at all, ever.

Solair wrote: »
    Realistically speaking, they shouldn't really be classified as independent exchanges at all. They're just tiny remote concentrators. I think in reality Eircom just includes them with their host exchange for these upgrades as they're really just a more modern way of doing a bit of an extension of an area.

It would be almost like classifying every VDSL2 cabinet as an exchange or something.

You are entirely correct in principle. However eircom announced long ago that they were upgrading these "exchanges" for ADSL so I'll be pedantic and hold them to their own words. :D Anyway even if thery WERE in a building they would still be RSUs as we both know.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/printer_1000article_10009671.shtml

"[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Eircom today announced its plans to commit an extra €30m to broadband enable an additional 319 communities around the country. This will allow up to 140,000 extra customers to connect to a broadband enabled exchange. It is hoped that the work will be completed within a couple of years. "

IT WAS NEVER COMPLETED. 15 of the Exchanges on that list linked above still don't have ADSL never mind VDSL. :(

However some of our cabs are there...listed as Exchanges. Some were previously done.
    [/FONT]
    Ballyalla
    Ballymacahill
    Bridgetown
    Broadford
    Bunratty
    Clarecastle
    Cooraclare
    Crusheen
    Doonbeg
    Feakle
    Kildysart
    Kilfenora
    Kilkee
    Kilkishen
    Kilmaley
    Kilmihil
    Quin
    Rockmount
    Tulla
    Whitegate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

If it a large estate there will be one at the front and one at the back. The planning ratio for a really really well mapped area ( Lusk) indicates crudely one cab per 150-200 premises so if an estate has 300 ish homes there should be one outside and one inside.

Tirellan in Galway has 500 homes and one cab marked, I reckon there are maybe 2 more there or thereabouts and sure I might prowl it meself one of the days to check, apologies to all of Tirellan in advance. :)

In our estate, there is one new cabinet next to an old one near the entrance (on the map, but positioned slightly wrongly - is there a way to move the marker?). Had a look around yesterday and found one more older cabinet in the older part of the estate, with no nearby fibre cabinet. Could this mean only part of the estate will get fibre? Estate is large, about 500 houses. We're nearer the older cabinet :(

• Advertisement

Go to the right page on the map, zoom in very close, press edit and click once and click again and hold and drag the second time Pádraig and release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Eircom lads are now at the end on my estate drilling up the footpath near the old green box. Plenty of orange cabling. At Mayfield in the Cork city suburbs (was meant to go live with Glanmire, December 2013 ) Less than 40 metres from my front door. Will have a chat with them later before updating the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Eircom lads are now at the end on my estate drilling up the footpath near the old green box. Plenty of orange cabling. At Mayfield in the Cork city suburbs (was meant to go live with Glanmire, December 2013 ) Less than 40 metres from my front door. Will have a chat with them later before updating the map.

Is that by the junction with Banduff rd? Saw a mini digger there on my way to work. Ask them if they're planning on heading over my direction! (Church Hill in Glanmire, just down from New Inn school). Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

What are the odds on Phase V, VI and VII ever being announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

padraig.od wrote: »
    What are the odds on Phase V, VI and VII ever being announced?

Phase V was announced. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Is that by the junction with Banduff rd? Saw a mini digger there on my way to work. Ask them if they're planning on heading over my direction! (Church Hill in Glanmire, just down from New Inn school). Cheers!

Thats them alright. They already have the cabinet in Barnavara completed. So they are moving in your direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I thought there was a list of these exchanges. The map now indicates the NGA exchanges so it's no big deal I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Go to the right page on the map, zoom in very close, press edit and click once and click again and hold and drag the second time Pádraig and release.

The Cobh markers don't seem to be showing on the 'editing' map for some reason (they are on the main map)?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Lovely thanks.

Any indication if we will see a phase VI?

• Advertisement

I think you can safely say they're significantly ahead of schedule in many areas.

I think there's still quite a way to go though. There are definitely going to be quite a few places that will need entirely fresh cabinets where there were no pre existing cabinets.

I've a feeling they've done the easy bits first and then will have to get cracking with more ground works to fill in the gaps which might explain the rather long time being allowed for in the schedules

Advertisement