Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

padraig.od wrote: »
    Lovely thanks.

Any indication if we will see a phase VI?

You probably won't see an update under the "Press Room" until after the summer time in regards to new phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Just reading the NGA site
    The NGA programme is made up of five phases in the Republic’s 26 counties. The targeted completion date for first 500,000 premises is mid 2013, with 1 million premises expected to be completed by December 2014. The network build is well under way with over 200,000 premises passed to date.

I doubt we'll see a Phase VI etc. Connections to 50% of premises in the state isn't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Solair wrote: »
    I think you can safely say they're significantly ahead of schedule in many areas.

I think there's still quite a way to go though. There are definitely going to be quite a few places that will need entirely fresh cabinets where there were no pre existing cabinets.

I've a feeling they've done the easy bits first and then will have to get cracking with more ground works to fill in the gaps which might explain the rather long time being allowed for in the schedules

Enniscorthy was down for December but is way ahead of that,next month is being talked of as the time fibre is 'going live' here.Groundworks are complete and there's fleets of Eircom vans around the place (actually doing something)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Hi GUys,

Added 4 locations to map.Will add more in the next few days as i will take a drive around to look.
    Redriddick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

padraig.od wrote: »
    Just reading the NGA site

I doubt we'll see a Phase VI etc. Connections to 50% of premises in the state isn't so bad.

You're right it's isn't so bad, it's really bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nothing visible in Athlone either I had a good look at the Roslevin (Westmeath) side the other day. UPC just got two more years to sweat their crappy MMDS so that pushes any Ballinasloe UPC cable upgrade back to 2015...if indeed ever. Same in Nenagh lest anyone ask. :(

Work has Started on a Cabinet at the Entrance to Auburn Heights in Athlone , Also Work being done at Custume Place opposite Genoa Café ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Redriddick wrote: »
    Hi GUys,

Added 4 locations to map.Will add more in the next few days as i will take a drive around to look.
    Redriddick

Can you direct me to the "Map" , Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

galait wrote: »
    Can you direct me to the "Map" , Thanks

Check Sponge Bob's signature/profile or check OP in the mapping thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Map links in my signature. The eircom NGA Rollout Activity Tracker has been updated to include Roslevin Cavan and Enniscorthy for the first time today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Cabinet groundworks are done on the Harold's Cross convent cabinet, if you fancy updating the Activity Tracker entry for Rathmines Exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Will Sky be reselling Eircom's fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

AdamD wrote: »

More than likely, yes. Although they've published no details about what they might be offering.

I'd say Sky might be trying to sort out their ADSL services first ... several threads hopping about slow speeds both on boards and their own forums at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

AdamD wrote:
    More than likely, yes. Although they've published no details about what they might be offering.

I'd say Sky might be trying to sort out their ADSL services first ... several threads hopping about slow speeds both on boards and their own forums at the moment.

Sky wouldn't upgrade new Sky broadband sign ups to faster speeds out of kindness would they? Just signed up there with them couple of months ago during trial phase, but max line speed is 3 mbps at the time of their test, so am I stuck with the 3 mbps for 10 more months...?!

positron wrote: »
    Sky wouldn't upgrade new Sky broadband sign ups to faster speeds out of kindness would they? Just signed up there with them couple of months ago during trial phase, but max line speed is 3 mbps at the time of their test, so am I stuck with the 3 mbps for 10 more months...?!

Eircom will be trying to migrate people off ADSL as they need to clear old tech off the network to enable vectoring (allows 100mbits) hence all the free upgrades!

Eircom will be trying to migrate people off ADSL as they need to clear old tech off the network to enable vectoring (allows 100mbits) hence all the free upgrades!

And send those old 24 mbit line cards out to the country folks on smaller exchanges and upgrade them from up to 8mbits as well. I'd say KN will be working frantically for the next year both on installs in the premises and onl the cabinet :)

5 NEW exchanges have significant activity upgrades since yesterday, link below in my sig.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And send those old 24 mbit line cards out to the country folks on smaller exchanges and upgrade them from up to 8mbits as well. I'd say KN will be working frantically for the next year both on installs in the premises and onl the cabinet :)

5 NEW exchanges have significant activity upgrades since yesterday, link below in my sig.

Got any pics or links to the type of cards used? Just curious at to what kind equipment goes in to exchanges/VDSL cabs. I presume it's some kind of phone-sized PCB that slots into a standard socket with data and twisted pair connections?

Probably look similar (on the outside!) to the modules you see in distribution cabs?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Got any pics or links to the type of cards used? Just curious at to what kind equipment goes in to exchanges/VDSL cabs. I presume it's some kind of phone-sized PCB that slots into a standard socket with data and twisted pair connections?

Probably look similar (on the outside!) to the modules you see in distribution cabs?

Pics here. Most ADSL gear is rack mounted in exchanges and a line card can handle 24 - 48 customer ports or so. eircom will be left with quite a stock of ADSL2 compatible cards and backplanes that can handle them in non VDSL towns. Lets see how they handle that.

Sponge Bob, tried responding to your PM but you have it set to reject all PM's :P

I agree, there should be a consistent tagging schema for communications. I'll drop !i! a message on the OSM wiki tonight when I get home to see if that page of his is just "to-do" or the start of a tag proposal. He is one of the main osm wiki guys so whatever he puts together should be a good set of tagging guidelines.

Keep in mind, it can take a while to put together a full tagging schema, I would suggest that you drop him a message yourself letting him know you have data to add but are holding off as there is no consistent tagging guidelines for your needs and would fully support his efforts to get one in place sooner rather than later.

Seeing as you seem to have some knowledge around this communication stuff (I have none lol) you would be well placed to advise him on potential tags for this to ensure it covers everything in the most efficent manner possible.

Also, there is absolutely nothing to stop you from putting together your own set of tags and using them. There's also nothing to stop you from putting together a tag proposal.

It really doesnt matter if you are an old or new member of OSM, anyone can do anything they want to enhance it. If it makes sense, it generally gets adopted through people searching the wiki or taginfo for (in your case) communication, DSL, etc.

In terms of the DSL boxes I would suggest something along the lines of
    communication=cabinet (could be a list of options here e.g. tower, mast etc)
    communication:type=dsl (again, list could exist for this option)
    operator=Eircom
    ref=123XYZ

You should take a look at TagInfo http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/ also when looking for tags. It shows every tag used. There is also an Ireland only version available here when looking for Ireland specific tag useage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Sponge Bob seems to be banned, I wonder what for. That's probably why PM's not getting to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Sponge Bob seems to be banned, I wonder what for. That's probably why PM's not getting to him.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056927839

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭irishgeo

red_bairn wrote: »
    Well...there goes the mapping...

anything we can do about it? shame to throw it all away?

Cripes! I noticed a thread on wind turbines that was getting a little hairy but this came as a sudden blow!

irishgeo wrote: »
    anything we can do about it? shame to throw it all away?

Wait for news on the Mapping thread. Harry reckons we should have a Facebook page for a point of contact.

That's weird. He seems very civil to everyone on this forum.

Maps are on Google maps tho, so I guess just continue to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 luke111

i live in blacktrench naas,co kildare,does anyone know if i would get fibre broadband here,i can only get 3meg at the moment

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Folks Sponge Bob wasn't banned for anything to do with the Broadband forum or the mapping effort.

The mapping effort will continue and SB will continue to be involved in updating the Google Maps, but obviously won't be able directly interact with people here for the time being, so I will help where I can.

Please keep the mapping effort going.

MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

can we have him back on the BB forum, he was a mine of information and always polite.

Its a case of "missing you already"

gbc

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    can we have him back on the BB forum, he was a mine of information and always polite.

Its a case of "missing you already"

gbc

I wonder if they could him certain privileges, i.e access to Broadband section. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

red_bairn wrote: »
    I wonder if they could him certain privileges, i.e access to Broadband section. ;)

I second that. He was always very polite here.

Advertisement