Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Letter in the post today lads, gave me a link to an upgrade section on eircoms site. Gives me pricing and everything.
    Here's the info:
    http://imgur.com/rWCeHnP
    http://imgur.com/Iw6TRLS
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Letter in the post today lads, gave me a link to an upgrade section on eircoms site. Gives me pricing and everything.
    Here's the info:

*licks lips*...if only it was in full swing here...reports of sub ducting in Kilcoole and none around Greystones. :(

Let's hope that Eircom can pick up the pace... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

red_bairn wrote: »
    Let's hope that Eircom can pick up the pace... :rolleyes:

UPC's entry level package has been at 50Mb for a while now.

Yeah, but the customers weren't aware of it. I know of one guy who was told about it from a mate or he heard about it and he rang them up to find out why they weren't upgraded.

• Advertisement

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?New&Kb=BB&Company={8C5A3413-D734-4C47-9016-F9EBD3B87D94}&t=hintsandtips&problem=general

This is the entry level package im guessing, based on this under Broadband usage: "Note: This only applies to our entry level eFibre Advanced product. Both of our other eFibre products have unlimited usage allowances."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭irishgeo

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?New&Kb=BB&Company={8C5A3413-D734-4C47-9016-F9EBD3B87D94}&t=hintsandtips&problem=general

This is the entry level package im guessing, based on this under Broadband usage: "Note: This only applies to our entry level eFibre Advanced product. Both of our other eFibre products have unlimited usage allowances."

unlimited wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Was considering switching if they had say 20 up as opposed to UPC,s ridiculous 10 but then I read

''if you have eFibre Advanced, then you have a 30GB monthly usage allowance. If you exceed this allowance by 9GB, you will not be charged anything. If you exceed by 10GB you will see a €2.03 charge (€1.65 ex VAT) on your bill for that month''

30GB! either they are bringing out a efibre connections for smartphone or eircom still think we use floppy drives and not terrabye HDD,s.

why even bring out decent speed broadband if people can only use that speed for 4 out of the 744 hours they pay for?
    irishgeo wrote: »
    unlimited wow.
    oops didnt see that..guess they are mentally stable afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Here's the info:

So were you able to order it? If so, did they give you an ETA?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 luke111

i live in blacktrench naas,kildare at the moment i can only get 3meg and was wondering does anybody know if i would get the efibre out here,and if i could what kind of speeds would i get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Naas is listed under phase v , due to be completed dec 2014 , but at the going rate could be a lot sooner , speed , as you will see from previous post's and the ,on going mapping , depend's on your distance from a vdsl 2 cab.

Mickalus wrote: »
    So were you able to order it? If so, did they give you an ETA?

Went thru the process anyway, they just emailed me back saying that an engineer would be in touch soon to arrange a time to install sometime after the 20th launch. Fingers crossed if I'm one of the first registered in the area I might get it on the 20th!
    Down to a euro per Mb of speed from €6.25/Mb, bout damn time some catching up was done to the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Here's the info:

Nice one, don't suppose you mind sharing the link? :cool:

Excited about this now, currently have 7mb but it's very tempermental and I'm so close to a cabinet!

Nice one, don't suppose you mind sharing the link? :cool:

Excited about this now, currently have 7mb but it's very tempermental and I'm so close to a cabinet!

Sure, its www.eircom.ie/upgradenow
    Shoulda shared it in the first post, was kinda flustered tbh :pac:

Sure, its www.eircom.ie/upgradenow
    Shoulda shared it in the first post, was kinda flustered tbh :pac:

"Unfortunately you cannot avail of fibre broadband at the moment"

Screw you eircom! :P Might be a process of them adding certain accounts to a database etc. and you were one of the first?

Do you remember the price for the basic bundle and the one above the one you chose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

****ty eircom

"Unfortunately you cannot avail of fibre broadband at the moment"

Screw you eircom! :P Might be a process of them adding certain accounts to a database etc. and you were one of the first?

Do you remember the price for the basic bundle and the one above the one you chose?

Didn't actually see any options to go to a different bundle. Must be they're just trying to get people moved over quickly by giving them the same price of bundle, to make it look less complicated.

Didn't actually see any options to go to a different bundle. Must be they're just trying to get people moved over quickly by giving them the same price of bundle, to make it look less complicated.

When I called them they said they're similarly priced anyway. Reckon the 70mb is probably €60-65 with the basic being €40-45.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

with 50MB eFibre Advanced (unlimited)what is the difference
    between TT Evolution and etalk Offpeak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I know its not like for like....but i'm currently 1mb up and 10mb down on the NGB 24mb package. The nearest cabs is within 500-600m away.....any idea what to expect with fibre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Went thru the process anyway, they just emailed me back saying that an engineer would be in touch soon to arrange a time to install sometime after the 20th launch. Fingers crossed if I'm one of the first registered in the area I might get it on the 20th!
    Down to a euro per Mb of speed from €6.25/Mb, bout damn time some catching up was done to the rest of Europe.

Keep us updated with your progress anyway :)

I'm with Digiweb and although they've put up a "Register your interest" page, nothing yet about ordering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I know its not like for like....but i'm currently 1mb up and 10mb down on the NGB 24mb package. The nearest cabs is within 500-600m away.....any idea what to expect with fibre?

check this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84099490&postcount=2344

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Mickalus wrote: »
    Keep us updated with your progress anyway :)

I'm with Digiweb and although they've put up a "Register your interest" page, nothing yet about ordering it.

Using Smart Telecom at the moment, I wonder if it will be a case of an automatic upgrade then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

What makes a line good or bad ? Stable or not ?

I moved into my house nearly 5 years ago and the estate was prob built 6-7 ago , I'd expect the line to be perfect ! But if there was anything the builder could of done to make it cheaper then I would fear it won't be !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Currently with Smart and they will be launching the new service when its made available to them. Is it just a process of replacing the existing asdl modem with a vdsl one and connecting to the Eircom box?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Currently with Smart and they will be launching the new service when its made available to them. Is it just a process of replacing the existing asdl modem with a vdsl one and connecting to the Eircom box?

Thanks

Should be as easy as that! Should.

Seems there's a lot of talk of Eircom sending out technicians to install the VDSL2 modems, is this absolutely necessary? We've currently set our Zytel ADSL2+ up with PPPoE bridging as I find it quite unstable in any other mode, would they follow that setup? I'm afraid to let anyone else touch the system as the only way me manage to get it running stably is with the right combination and order of turning on router/switch/modem, hopping on one leg while turning around 3 times, opening umbrellas indoors, wearing red etc.

TheChizler wrote: »

Seems there's a lot of talk of Eircom sending out technicians to install the VDSL2 modems, is this absolutely necessary? We've currently set our Zytel ADSL2+ up with PPPoE bridging as I find it quite unstable in any other mode, would they follow that setup? I'm afraid to let anyone else touch the system as the only way me manage to get it running stably is with the right combination and order of turning on router/switch/modem, hopping on one leg while turning around 3 times, opening umbrellas indoors, wearing red etc.

They probably have to check that your line set-up is fine as well, so they might as well set up the new modem. I'm sure some people could do so, but they'd complain if the set-up wasn't working...so it would be better than you could give out the the techy rather than you take the blame. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I know of one line in Drogheda which should prove interesting. It's currently using ADSL2 and is connected to a cabinet that has VDSL provisioned but is much too far away to use VDSL. Like 4km away.

How shall vectoring account for cabinets where a large proportion of the lines are more than 1 km away?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

According to the doc below, the technician replaces the NTU
    http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/downloads/proposed_technical_handbook/wholesale_nga_technical_handbook_v2.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Seems there's a lot of talk of Eircom sending out technicians to install the VDSL2 modems, is this absolutely necessary?.

Given the state of the telephone wiring in some people's homes - mostly DIY jobs and electricians not quite getting it right, it's probably very important that they call out.

They've been quite lax about ADSL which has often resulted in really ropey connections for some people.

It's not unusual to find houses in Ireland with things like house alarm wire or speaker cable used instead of phone cable / CAT5/6.

You've also got problems created by poor connections e.g. using electrical connectors suitable for 20amp circuits to carry phone lines (seen this a few times).

Ridiculously huge numbers of extensions in some larger homes too resulting in very long runs of wire (often non-twisted pair) which can result in line noise for DSL modems as the wiring acts like a radio antenna and picks up noise.

I know one of my relatives has a phone socket in every room so, that's 9 sockets and vast runs of cable and all sorts of weird junctions.

They'll be installing a central filter / splitter socket and probably giving you the option of disconnecting your voice service if you're going for VDSL only or a VoIP replacement service.

In the UK OpenReach (BT Wholesale) installs all the modems and then other companies (including BT) just supply a router/gateway/wifi hub of their choice. So, you end up with 2 devices.

Advertisement