Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

red_bairn wrote: »
    consultants? must be difficult to send an email to Eircom/UPC/Magnet/Digiweb for coverage maps, and map that with the planned LTE rollout and see whats not covered. Good job were not in a recession and able to afford several expensive consultants to get that information

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Interleaving makes a huge difference to ping, at one stage I had an adsl gdmt line that had sub 10 ms pings regularly in Ireland (interleaving on lowest setting), and 14-17ms pings to UK game servers. 20 ms to Holland / Germany.

low / medium interleaving will bring it upto 15-20 in Ireland, 30 uk, 30-35 Europe.

higher interleaving / error correction / radio links instead of fibre can bring your pings upto anything even 100ms. I've seen a reliable irish adsl connection doing 80 ms ping times to rte.ie / boards.ie.

From what I've seen from the one person who had the FTTC ping tested, the pings looked good. Low teens to irish servers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

red_bairn wrote: »

Still....like Tesco, every little helps :)

Ensuring BallyGoBackwards has a minimum of 30mbps will encourage more BB take up, and with the infrastructure in place we could see speed increase over time.

Investment is what we need, a plan...we need fibre to the home, a major overhaul to Eircom's entire network right down to that little white box in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Still....like Tesco, every little helps :)

Ensuring BallyGoBackwards has a minimum of 30mbps will encourage more BB take up, and with the infrastructure in place we could see speed increase over time.

Investment is what we need, a plan...we need fibre to the home, a major overhaul to Eircom's entire network right down to that little white box in your house.

Yeah. I suppose if we get to that certain minimum, more money will pumped back into the 'system' when more and more businesses are produced due to better networking services. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Praetorian wrote: »
    Interleaving makes a huge difference to ping, at one stage I had an adsl gdmt line that had sub 10 ms pings regularly in Ireland (interleaving on lowest setting), and 14-17ms pings to UK game servers. 20 ms to Holland / Germany.

low / medium interleaving will bring it upto 15-20 in Ireland, 30 uk, 30-35 Europe.

higher interleaving / error correction / radio links instead of fibre can bring your pings upto anything even 100ms. I've seen a reliable irish adsl connection doing 80 ms ping times to rte.ie / boards.ie.

From what I've seen from the one person who had the FTTC ping tested, the pings looked good. Low teens to irish servers.

It also depends on how many hops to the server, so if you've a badly designed ISP network with loads of nodes to negotiate your way through to get to the outside world, then all the FTTC/FTTH in the world won't help.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    It also depends on how many hops to the server, so if you've a badly designed ISP network with loads of nodes to negotiate your way through to get to the outside world, then all the FTTC/FTTH in the world won't help.

Like all the checkpoints at an airport :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Yeah Eircom have a few hops alright, I haven't a notion if this is a bad amount or not, not very educated as far as how ISPs route their traffic.
    http://imgur.com/wUM01Xp.
    Second IP is a speedtest server in NL.
    Googleing some of the IPs on there, it goes from my router here in LK > Bridgend > Dublin (5 times) > London(IP says Dublin again) > Amsterdam Internet Exchange > Speedtest server's ISP and its own few hops.
    I could understand 2, maybe 3 hops in Dublin, but 5?

Yeah Eircom have a few hops alright, I haven't a notion if this is a bad amount or not, not very educated as far as how ISPs route their traffic.
    http://imgur.com/wUM01Xp.
    Second IP is a speedtest server in NL.
    Googleing some of the IPs on there, it goes from my router here in LK > Bridgend > Dublin (5 times) > Amsterdam Internet Exchange > Speedtest server's ISP and its own few hops.
    I could understand 2, maybe 3 hops in Dublin, but 5?

I think no.8 is a rented server in London? It goes through 3 networks possibly in the Eircom core network before the next hop in the UK. It would be interesting to find out what that is about. I'm heading to the Start-Ups event Dubstarts on Tuesday. There is an Eircom rep there....maybe he might know something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I live in a rural part of the midlands, so it'll be 2018 before I get fibre broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

I live in a rural part of the midlands, so it'll be 2018 before I get fibre broadband

Living in a rural area myself, so I know exactly how you feel.

What makes you so optimistic you'll have it by 2018 though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Any word on contention ratio for the new fibre lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

in what sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Contention won't be an issue.

What about other ISPs who use Eircom's network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

So when it does launch on the 20th as said. Is it just a case of ringing them up and they'll sort you out?

Super excited for this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Finical wrote: »
    So when it does launch on the 20th as said. Is it just a case of ringing them up and they'll sort you out?

Super excited for this!

Finical just register your interest on the E-fibre page below, and they will contact you when it is available if your area:

http://www.eircom.net/efibre/form/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 patrickcummins

Is this new Eircom fibre going to just reach towns or will it be rolling out to the houses in the countryside?

Is this new Eircom fibre going to just reach towns or will it be rolling out to the houses in the countryside?

Like every broadband technology, except wireless, it doesn't work for individual houses way out in the country.

That's the same all over the world.

The cabinets cost at least €20,000 each so, you're not going to see them installed to serve a single house or a couple of scattered homes.

You might see some improvement if you're in the hinterland of a town/village but if you're out in the countryside you'd really want to be looking at non-wired products.

There should be possibilities of decent speeds using wireless systems in remote areas / very low density rural housing.

DSL technology isn't suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Like every broadband technology, except wireless, it doesn't work for individual houses way out in the country.

That's the same all over the world.

The cabinets cost at least €20,000 each so, you're not going to see them installed to serve a single house or a couple of scattered homes.

You might see some improvement if you're in the hinterland of a town/village but if you're out in the countryside you'd really want to be looking at non-wired products.

There should be possibilities of decent speeds using wireless systems in remote areas / very low density rural housing.

DSL technology isn't suitable
    Hah, have a look at cabinet DBC 010 on the R168 in Drogheda. I can't see any way it could serve more than 10 lines within 1km of it!

Hah, have a look at cabinet DBC 010 on the R168 in Drogheda. I can't see any way it could serve more than 10 lines within 1km of it!

If those ten lines make then €60 a month for 4 years the box is in profit.

Considering they can sell in IPTV etc they might do it.

That being said, other boxes will be hugely profitable and densely wired so I suppose it all adds up in a given exchange area.

The problem in very rural areas is every cabinet would be as you're describing and line lengths would remain very long.

Some rural exchanges are absolutely tiny. You're talking almost a glorified office phone system with a fancy name and a DSLAM.

Those areas are too low density for decent speeds with VDSL and really unless you're going to pay a huge fee for fibre installation to individual homes or the state will come up with a very large investment pot like they did for rural electrification, it's not realistic.

The best approach in those areas is GOOD wireless. The technology is out there. However there are some really bad wireless services around too that give the industry and tech a bad name.

There's no reason why rural dwellers shouldn't mostly be able to wirelessly connect to 30 to 70mbits via a microwave link.

Low density and plenty of radio capacity so, it works well in rural areas.

Wireless is however unsuitable for dense areas and its being used inappropriately in urban areas (limited spectrum) where people were using it as an alternative to ADSL due to eircom's previous incarnations which were more concerned about milking line rental and investing nothing.

The market has changed big time largely due up UPC aggressively marketing good technology in urban Ireland and that had finally pushed eircom into being competitive.

• Advertisement

My mammy got electricity in her house in the 50s or 60s just before our neighbour down the road. The neighbour lived in Arklow and my mum was in the back arse of nowhere in Tipperary. I reckon the best bet is for ESB to cover those houses as well as the wireless groups.

I tried to "measure" the distance of the cab to my home, doubt its accurate....but i count 4 steps as 1 metre....and based on that i'm 130-140 metres away. i tried 6 steps on the way back and it came to 90 metres. Dunno....if its two steps then some 250 metres away.

Wish there was an app......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I tried to "measure" the distance of the cab to my home, doubt its accurate....but i count 4 steps as 1 metre....and based on that i'm 130-140 metres away. i tried 6 steps on the way back and it came to 90 metres. Dunno....if its two steps then some 250 metres away.

Wish there was an app......

4 Steps as 1 metre :eek:

galait wrote: »

Dunno.......:confused::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Any mention of pricing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

galait wrote: »

2 steps at most if you are really small :D

I'm either 280m(2 steps for a metre) or 450m (google maps)
    4QrIO35.jpg

Just use the odometer on your car! You won't be accurate anyway as the lines may not be routed as you'd expect.

Just use the odometer on your car! You won't be accurate anyway as the lines may not be routed as you'd expect.

Student grant doesn't pay that well :P Must get one of the parents to check it next time they're up.
    On the topic of routing, some of the houses closest to the cabinet get their line in from telegraph poles, its a separate line to the power ones so I'm assuming its phone anyway. I must check if it runs all the way up to the end of my estate and into the ground there.
    I read a few pages back that the overhead lines are thicker, if they are, and the cable feeds my estate, would that negate some signal loss? Its about 180m of overhead cable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Will Carlow town ever get fibre broadband? Hopefully it is coming soon.

Okay I understand you posted this over 2 months ago but, i live in Carlow in the Graiguecullen area and I was offered fibre on a trial basis but went with Sky instead.

Advertisement