Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What about other ISPs who use Eircom's network?

Vodafone have a page for registering interest in Fibre broadband:

http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/next-generation-broadband

But if it's anything like the iPhone registration pages they've done before, you'll find out all about it here on Boards loooooong before Vodafone contact you. At least it's an indication that they'll be providing the service. I assume other ISPs have/will have something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

"Smart is using a different infrastructure to Eircom. Smart is part of Digiweb and Digiweb use the Eircom infrastructure and will be providing the new fibre service."

Just got this from the online chat on the Digiweb website when enquiring would Smart be upgrading to the new Vdsl service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Smart just have their own DSLAMs in the exchanges, that'll have to be phased out in favour of VDSL2 at the cabinet.

However, it still means they'll have a local aggregation point all of their LLU exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

There's a new green cabinet after been installed on the bandon bypass that looks just the the images posted on this thread but there was nothing from Eircom here before just a box from the ESB. Does anybody know if these new cabs are been installed in locations where there was nothing before?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

kenny111 wrote: »
    There's a new green cabinet after been installed on the bandon bypass that looks just the the images posted on this thread but there was nothing from Eircom here before just a box from the ESB. Does anybody know if these new cabs are been installed in locations where there was nothing before?

That's not eircom VDSL whatever it is, I'm guessing ESB due to the proximity to the HV cabinet. At a push maybe ESB fibre but I don't think that's out of the proposal stage yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Looks like a water/wastewater pumping station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Those green cabinets are appearing all over the place. They're nothing to do with telecommunications. Definitely some ESB gear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Solair wrote: »
    Smart just have their own DSLAMs in the exchanges, that'll have to be phased out in favour of VDSL2 at the cabinet.

However, it still means they'll have a local aggregation point all of their LLU exchanges.

I wonder what that means for us poor suckers who live in Smart Telecom enabled apartment buildings *

* Basically fibre to the basement, then ADSL2+ DSLAMS in the basement.

Will they leave us stuck on ADSL2 or maybe upgrade it to VDSL2.

From the above quote it sounds like Smart won't be rolling out their own VDSL LLU network.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lawlerp

Was talking to an Eircom rep earlier about changing my package, they rang me. The Rep told me that my local exchange Castleblakeny, Co Galway is due some type of upgrade from 20th May and that the broadband speeds would be about 7 times faster than they are now. Are we getting fibre? Did anybody hear a similiar story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

lawlerp wrote: »
    Was talking to an Eircom rep earlier about changing my package, they rang me. The Rep told me that my local exchange Castleblakeny, Co Galway is due some type of upgrade from 20th May and that the broadband speeds would be about 7 times faster than they are now. Are we getting fibre? Did anybody hear a similiar story?

Those exchanges that have already been upgraded will be able to get a fibre modem and installation after that date.

Check out the stickied thread about the Sitcom fibre cabinet mapping and see if a cabinet has been located in your area by a Boards.is member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Lads help please I have being following this thread and the other day I noticed the new exchange with the lock on the side in latchford green,castaheney,clonee(south of the green where a road leads to the park) I live 150-200 yards from this..can I expect a decent service,it's launching in clonee on the 20th of may according to an add in the north side people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Wils110 wrote: »
    Lads help please I have being following this thread and the other day I noticed the new exchange with the lock on the side in latchford green,castaheney,clonee(south of the green where a road leads to the park) I live 150-200 yards from this..can I expect a decent service,it's launching in clonee on the 20th of may according to an add in the north side people

If the cabinet serves your line, then yes you will get a very good service. Likely ~70 mbit.

UPC put my price up,I work for sky so I'm entitled to there bb at a discount,they will be going fibre but there just starting the staff trial in dundrum soon,don't know should I just get the sky in and wait to change to fibre or go with eircom for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

UPC put my price up,I work for sky so I'm entitled to there bb at a discount,they will be going fibre but there just starting the staff trial in dundrum soon,don't know should I just get the sky in and wait to change to fibre or go with eircom for the year

All the providers will resell eircoms fttc. So just wait a few more weeks to see the offers. In your case, I am sure going with sky will make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Saw a list of towns that are getting "Phase 1" of the rollout today, gutted that Athlone wasn't on the list but was told it should be in "phase 2" which is scheduled for July. Was also told there won't be a price difference between fibre and NGN, if your NGN is Fibre enabled it's a simple upgrade. Could be a load of sales crap but this was an Enterprise rep........ shhhh, you ain't seen me right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's not eircom VDSL whatever it is, I'm guessing ESB due to the proximity to the HV cabinet. At a push maybe ESB fibre but I don't think that's out of the proposal stage yet.

that cabinet is for water metering infrastructure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I need to go cabinet hunting in Tullamore

You mean a green high security locked 'cabinet' but you wouldn't be far wrong calling it an exchange. It provides many of the services an exchange would but not voice.

Which ISP are you with?

red_bairn wrote: »
    You mean a green

??? If you mean like a green area of grass yep..I can't upload images to point it out on google maps

??? If you mean like a green area of grass yep..I can't upload images to point it out on google maps

Sorry. On the phone. Just edited my comment above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Has anyone spotted a cabinet in Castlebar? I haven't seen one and it's a pretty small town!

I think Castlebar is part of the 20th of May launch or whatever.

Finical wrote: »
    Has anyone spotted a cabinet in Castlebar? I haven't seen one and it's a pretty small town!

If it is apart of the rollout on the 20th I'm sure you would have seen by now. Anyway head over to the Eircom mapping page that is stickied in the Broadband section.

You mean a green high security locked 'cabinet' but you wouldn't be far wrong calling it an exchange. It provides many of the services an exchange would but not voice.

Which ISP are you with?

Yea one of them I've being walking by it for weeks maybe months never payed heed to it till I seen a pic here and I got a bit excited...I'm with UPC at the moment there getting the chop I mentioned above I work with sky so I might just go over to them I get a decent discount and then il switch to heir fibre when they introduce it hopefully by Christmas

Yea one of them I've being walking by it for weeks maybe months never payed heed to it till I seen a pic here and I got a bit excited...I'm with UPC at the moment there getting the chop I mentioned above I work with sky so I might just go over to them I get a decent discount and then il switch to heir fibre when they introduce it hopefully by Christmas

Yeah, better off if you can get a discount. What do you mean UPC are getting the chop? Poor service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

If it is apart of the rollout on the 20th I'm sure you would have seen by now. Anyway head over to the Eircom mapping page that is stickied in the Broadband section.

Cheers! I'm one idiot just checked that map you pointed out to me and there's one about 5 minutes away from me. :D

Service is terrible tbh I've put up with it long enough 20 meg during the day as low as 6 after 7 pm..I can get max 12 meg through the landline but it will only cost me 23€ per month then move to fibre....and UPC increased my bill and if I want to benefit I have to pay 50€ for a new router that can handle up to 50meg not worth an extra 8€ a month

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Finical wrote: »

There are 20 in Castlebar total I don't know how you haven't seen them they're everywhere lol

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Hey Wils110,

Do you know anything about Sky's Fiber plans ? difficult to get any info from them. I spoke to their support team yesterday and was told that they are testing ....
    thanks

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Hey Wils110,

Do you know anything about Sky's Fiber plans ? difficult to get any info from them. I spoke to their support team yesterday and was told that they are testing ....
    thanks
    There was a plan for a staff test all over Dublin in areas that where ready to go but it seems Eircom only gave them dundrum for a test phase..I reckon it be in 5-6 months companies be reselling it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Will it be possible to get vdsl only once eFibre rolls out at a lower cost than voice + vdsl?

Advertisement