Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Wils110 wrote: »
    There was a plan for a staff test all over Dublin in areas that where ready to go but it seems Eircom only gave them dundrum for a test phase..I reckon it be in 5-6 months companies be reselling it

I wonder if they are looking for any of the existing Sky broadband customers to volunteer to try out the FTTC for them around the country... Well if they are, I will put myself forward for that hard and painful experience...... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

positron wrote: »
    I wonder if they are looking for any of the existing Sky broadband customers to volunteer to try out the FTTC for them around the country... Well if they are, I will put myself forward for that hard and painful experience...... :pac:

i was told that they are only running trials in dundrum and cabinteely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

LFCFan wrote: »
    Will it be possible to get vdsl only once eFibre rolls out at a lower cost than voice + vdsl?

It will be possible to get a VDSL connection on May 20th after contacting your ISP for the free installation and modem (talking about Eircom). Voice is just for your phone services. You could use VoIP. In the case of our family, we have VoIP and voice but my dad wants to keep the voice since it's our phone number for years and is used on all the bills, family & friends know the number etc. There are no two different services where you get voice separately. If you are in an area that has VDSL cabinets around it, then you will have the opportunity to switch if you are with Eircom or a wholesaler that is using Eircom's hardware.
    Wils110 wrote: »
    There was a plan for a staff test all over Dublin in areas that where ready to go but it seems Eircom only gave them dundrum for a test phase..I reckon it be in 5-6 months companies be reselling it

See above Vico.
    :)
    Vico1612 wrote: »
    i was told that they are only running trials in dundrum and cabinteely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 struper1

im happy with UPC, can't see myself going back to Eircom. Great for people who can't get UPC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

just got the phone call confirming my change, she said i was very early on the list so i'd probably be rang on the day of may 20th to book a technician cal, but she could have been just feeding me BS. can't wait though! and i made a saving on my bill! gone from €67 a month to €60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

just got the phone call confirming my change, she said i was very early on the list so i'd probably be rang on the day of may 20th to book a technician cal, but she could have been just feeding me BS. can't wait though! and i made a saving on my bill! gone from €67 a month to €60.

Don't think its BS. I'm not even with them and they just told me that I will have a modem sent out and be automatically switched on the 20th if I am back with them before then. I made him go away and make sure and he came back to me and confirmed. Brother in law was told the same last night. Out of UPC coverage and stuck on 4MB for the last few years so I can't bloody wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

billyduk wrote: »
    Don't think its BS. I'm not even with them and they just told me that I will have a modem sent out and be automatically switched on the 20th if I am back with them before then. I made him go away and make sure and he came back to me and confirmed. Brother in law was told the same last night. Out of UPC coverage and stuck on 4MB for the last few years so I can't bloody wait!!

Lucky sons a beechs lol so theirs gonna be the crowd who have UPC, the crowd who have Ericom fiber, then the crowd who have a choice and the the rest of us stuck with our 3mb crap. Oh the joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Sounds good. I wonder if the technicians are already all booked up for the early days, like the 20th itself etc, which is why you'd only be getting a call to make arrangements from then on. Or are they only arranging the call outs from the 20th onwards?
    Anyone got any specifics yet?

I'm very tempted to switch back to Eircom if it means getting fibre sometime that week, Nothing yet from Digiweb about when they'll be launching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

positron wrote: »

They may or may not you see there will be about 700 hundred staff by July so it could all be just kept in house...they where taking names of staff who where in dundrum about 3-4 weeks ago and they wanted you to be within a certain distance of the exchange...it was a great move to only give them dundrum as it would be an older demographic area(no offence) so there would be alot of people set in their ways...as soon as I hear anything I will post it

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

The brother is currently with Eircom and he's on 8mb but never gets over 2mb. He's in Galway, Dublin road.

The nearest new cab is 2.5km from his house (The cab is in Mervue),

anyone have any idea what speeds he could expect? or a way to calculate such? Or when to expect that side of Galway to roll out?

Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

wrong thread sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

thisNthat wrote: »
    The brother is currently with Eircom and he's on 8mb but never gets over 2mb. He's in Galway, Dublin road.

The nearest new cab is 2.5km from his house (The cab is in Mervue),

anyone have any idea what speeds he could expect? or a way to calculate such? Or when to expect that side of Galway to roll out?

Thanks in advance :)

Is Galway not cabled for UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

Is Galway not cabled for UPC?

It is ya but not where he is unfortunately, He lives about 2.5km from the mervue cab. UPC not an option, If it was he'd be with them :)

i wounder how long untill sky start selling it

Finical wrote: »
    Has anyone spotted a cabinet in Castlebar? I haven't seen one and it's a pretty small town!

I think Castlebar is part of the 20th of May launch or whatever.
    there is a good few around c/bar up past st geralds school you will see one on the footpath.i hope to be connected to that one if i can,but iam wilth sky and am only paying 10euro a month for unlimited downloads so iam not to bothered.
    is there a cap with eircom fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

bk wrote: »
    I wonder what that means for us poor suckers who live in Smart Telecom enabled apartment buildings *

* Basically fibre to the basement, then ADSL2+ DSLAMS in the basement.

Will they leave us stuck on ADSL2 or maybe upgrade it to VDSL2.

From the above quote it sounds like Smart won't be rolling out their own VDSL LLU network.

Doubt it will mean anything for those unless Smart decides to get speed-competitive and upgrades them.

The VDSL2 rollout's an eircom thing for the eircom phone network. Smart's private fibre to apartments stuff is nothing to do with it.

It's only likely to impact Smart's LLU customers who have normal phone lines.

The VDSL2 being rolled out now is only for eircom POTS lines.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just moved a few posts to the mapping thread.

Please direct any posts about mapping cabs here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

Cheers
    MOD

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Solair wrote: »
    Doubt it will mean anything for those unless Smart decides to get speed-competitive and upgrades them.

I know, this upgrade will have nothing to do with Smart installs in apartments, but if everyone else around the area can now get either 50mb+ UPC or VDSL2, I think Smart will have to upgrade too, or they may well get the heave-ho from the building.

Been trying to get UPC into the building for a long time, still a slim chance of that happening, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

KN Networks delivering new cabinets to sites all over Enniscorthy today.One of the guys was saying there's about 5 years work ahead of them.

zerks wrote: »
    KN Networks delivering new cabinets to sites all over Enniscorthy today.One of the guys was saying there's about 5 years work ahead of them.

Huh. You mean even though they are flying through exchanges that aren't suppose to be completed to the end of this year, that they will continue to set up in smaller areas or just get even more coverage over current fibre enabled exchanges? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Are the Broadband sales people in Eircom now aware of who can and can't get VDSL when it rolls out? From what I've seen in here, some people are getting this info so it would seem that the sales teams do know. Would it be worth calling them to make sure my area will be covered or will I get the usual, 'we won't know about your area till it's launched'? Thanks

LFCFan wrote: »
    Are the Broadband sales people in Eircom now aware of who can and can't get VDSL when it rolls out? From what I've seen in here, some people are getting this info so it would seem that the sales teams do know. Would it be worth calling them to make sure my area will be covered or will I get the usual, 'we won't know about your area till it's launched'? Thanks

Have you checked the mapping Eircom Fibre Rollout mapping thread to see if there are any fibre cabinets in your location?

bk wrote: »
    I know, this upgrade will have nothing to do with Smart installs in apartments, but if everyone else around the area can now get either 50mb+ UPC or VDSL2, I think Smart will have to upgrade too, or they may well get the heave-ho from the building.

Been trying to get UPC into the building for a long time, still a slim chance of that happening, so fingers crossed.

You should probably look into what your management company is up to. There's no competition inventive to upgrade otherwise.
    Even if you can just get eircom lines in you'd have access to VDSL2

UPC can overlay the outside of a building with coax sometimes too.

They just out coax taps at the top and drops to the balconies or whatever. It's usually pretty unobtrusive

Eircom can come in from outside too.

Management companies shouldn't ever have been allowed to create mini monopolies on telecommunications. Eircom lines, local cable company connection and access to a communal space for antennas etc should have been mandated in the law.

Shouldn't be a case that you've less access to services because you live in an apartment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Anyone know where I can find Phase 5 locations

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

red_bairn wrote: »
    Have you checked the mapping Eircom Fibre Rollout mapping thread to see if there are any fibre cabinets in your location?

There are cabinets near here (I added them to the map myself :D ) but I just want confirmation that my estate is definitely getting it because the cabinets are not directly outside my estate so not sure which one is supplying us.

zerks wrote: »

That's actually great if there is.
    Eircom has a fair bit of catching up to do with its access networks and that's going to create & maintain jobs!

I think they removed that list off their site. Probably won't to sort out the rest of the phases before making any future plans. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Try going to http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access and then click on the coverage map and select Phase 5 to see the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Solair wrote: »
    That's actually great if there is.
    Eircom has a fair bit of catching up to do with its access networks and that's going to create & maintain jobs!

Gorey was mentioned and towns in Co.Carlow as being next on the list down this neck of the woods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

This might be a stupid question but so many of these VDSL green boxes are in, why aren't they activated or what's the hold up?

Advertisement