Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's down to Comreg. AFAIK they imposed a delay to allow the other providers to get ready to launch reseller products, so eircom wouldn't get a head start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Why are no other providers really advertising the Fibre yet? Eircom are making a big effort in Letterkenny with people handing out flyers on the street, local radio and newspaper adverts. They are getting a head start as joe soap will get the impression that they need to sign up with Eircom in order to get the new speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

How would you feel if the biggest pay tv company in the country where going to be reselling your product eircom need a good head start to get people in contracts and to switch from providers like Vodafone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Danny Edwards

Wils110 wrote: »
    How would you feel if the biggest pay tv company in the country where going to be reselling your product eircom need a good head start to get people in contracts and to switch from providers like Vodafone

What?

If eircom offer fibre 5-6 months before anyone else can around the country they have a head start,in 6 months if sky can offer you TV,phone and fibre in a bundle what do you think people will do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Danny Edwards

Wils110 wrote: »
    If eircom offer fibre 5-6 months before anyone else can around the country they have a head start,in 6 months if sky can offer you TV,phone and fibre in a bundle what do you think people will do

You're being very incoherent, so bare with me: are you saying it's not fair that eircom are having to wait for the rest of the companies to get to stuff together?

I would agree with you if you're saying that. Eircom are investing their money into this, so they should decide when they should launch their own product. However, Comreg are doing this for us, they want competition so we can have better choice, or else eircom can charge us wherever they want.

That's my opinion on it, I could be wrong.

Eircom will make more money from this having customers signed up straight away to efibre, obviously !so they need as many customers contracted to them as possible,when Vodafone,sky,digiweb start selling the fibre they pay eircom wholesale price..you could call it a gentle men's handshake,we did the hardwork let us get first dibs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I got emails from Vodafone saying that it's launching soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

irishgeo wrote: »
    I got emails from Vodafone saying that it's launching soon.

Will they be upgrading you for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

red_bairn wrote: »
    Will they be upgrading you for free?

I asked them and it's a free upgrade,I registered my interest on their site also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

well my phonecall the other day confirming i'm switching over, i had to signup to an 18 months contract, which i thought was pretty long but fcuk it. before that, i was on a rolling contract, i refused to sign up to another contract once my initial one from 2007 was over. they rang about 3 times over the last 4 years asking me to. maybe that's why i was rang so early for e-fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Wils, eircom have invested money into the project and I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to sell it whenever they like. I would put it down to a lack of foresight by Sky in fairness as there is nothing stopping them from releasing it as soon as efibre.

Thing is, Sky agents are still getting to grips with selling broadband and the systems they use for line checks/address finding are starting to improve. It is not eircoms fault that Sky went into the broadband market head first without having everything in place first such as the option for fibre being available for their customers. Everyone has had ample time to get their act together on it hence Vodafone releasing it almost simultaneously with Eircom.

The bundle market will change come September/October as eircom will have TV launched at around this time. Sky will have their triple play bundle and eircom will have their quad play bundle. In my opinion the competetion Sky are now providing in the broadband market was well needed as it has caused all players to think differently. The TV market needs it too and that's where eircom will come in. Similar pricing to UPC in rural towns and maybe even in some UPC areas will bring down prices for one, and two give the customer more options at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sky's venture into the BB market reminds me of Perlico - head first!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

Wils, eircom have invested money into the project and I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to sell it whenever they like. I would put it down to a lack of foresight by Sky in fairness as there is nothing stopping them from releasing it as soon as efibre.

Thing is, Sky agents are still getting to grips with selling broadband and the systems they use for line checks/address finding are starting to improve. It is not eircoms fault that Sky went into the broadband market head first without having everything in place first such as the option for fibre being available for their customers. Everyone has had ample time to get their act together on it hence Vodafone releasing it almost simultaneously with Eircom.

The bundle market will change come September/October as eircom will have TV launched at around this time. Sky will have their triple play bundle and eircom will have their quad play bundle. In my opinion the competetion Sky are now providing in the broadband market was well needed as it has caused all players to think differently. The TV market needs it too and that's where eircom will come in. Similar pricing to UPC in rural towns and maybe even in some UPC areas will bring down prices for one, and two give the customer more options at the end of the day.

sky had to have know that eircom where going in to the fiber market before they started broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

An incumbent operator like Eircom cannot do whatever they like. They have to get permission from the regulator for new products, release dates etc. It is well known that the other operators were very sore about the amount of time they had to get their systems in place, & the amount of testing that was done.

It has to be competitive environment. If Eircom had it's way for the last 20 years, nobody would be able to use their network or their phone lines. All the profit would be theirs. At least there is some competition in the market these days.

Sky in my opinion were stupid to launch when they did. I think they should have launched at the same time as FTTC. AT least then they would be seen to be launching decent products. Their customer CPE will have to be replaced as soon as FTTC is launched.

I don't think sky has done much for the broadband market at all in Ireland. They don't care about broadband. They just want a way to keep their very valuable tv subscribers. In this day & age triple play / quad play is a very tempting offer to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I was out for a walk today in Clontarf and a no. of existing cabinets have planning applications on them for another cabinet next to the existing ones which I can only assume is for FTTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You have to remember that eircom benefits from having been a protected monopoly since the invention of the telephone in the 1800s until the late 1990s.

A lot of its infrastructure was paid for by tax payers money & high bills when it was an absolute monopoly.

Realistically, eircom should have been split into an access network and eircom retail in a similar way to the way ESB Networks is seperste from Electric Ireland.

I have no sympathy for BSkyB though. Their broadband launch had been far from smooth and they've plenty of resources to get it right!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Praetorian wrote: »

I don't think sky has done much for the broadband market at all in Ireland. They don't care about broadband. They just want a way to keep their very valuable tv subscribers. In this day & age triple play / quad play is a very tempting offer to customers.

I think the two things Sky brought to the Irish market is:

- "up to" 24mb BB being the base for all customers.
    - unlimited data

These two developments are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

bk wrote: »
    I think the two things Sky brought to the Irish market is:

- "up to" 24mb BB being the base for all customers.
    - unlimited data

These two developments are welcome.

Granted, but I think the huge caps that had been already in place and the fact that a lot of the main operators were not charging for going over caps anyway takes a bit of the shine off Sky going unlimited. The writing was on the wall for a while that UPC were going unlimited; I knew about it since around autumn last year from a UPC staff member.

Also the upto 24 (but on average ~10mbit?), of course, comes literally before the launch of upto 70mbit.

Sky had to differentiate somehow, so they did all they could. Good price, unlimited, upto 24. However, they executed poorly in my opinion. The people that I know that switched are very disappointed and the sky thread is littered with complaints of poor peak time speeds etc.

It is still no harm them being in the market, but I would not go back to them, after being a customer for 10 years. It is all about streaming and other downloads these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eircom technicians were out working on the cabinets on Middle Glanmire Road in Cork this morning / early afternoon.

Interesting to see they're even working weekends on it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Solair wrote: »
    Eircom technicians were out working on the cabinets on Middle Glanmire Road in Cork this morning / early afternoon.

Interesting to see they're even working weekends on it now!

yeah, the execution of this rollout has been amazing! I just hope that the final phase will go just as well, ie the distribution and installation of the modems. Did I read somewhere that they'll want to send a technician to every household to make sure it's installed correctly? That could possibly mean waiting times of months? I'd be happy enough to install my own modem, if that's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

lets be realistic, we are been conned rotten and COMREG dont help, VF, and all the other providers knew fibre was on the way and they did nothing, as I have said before they are coining it in using old copper, we have no alternative and the longer it takes for fibre the more they make, lets hope eircom get it right and we can cock a snoop at those other lazy good for nothing so and so's.

the prices here are off the wall compared to uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

an area out my way, Vodafone had people doing door to door before the launch date was even announced, coining "fibre is coming to your area" .... I know of 3 or 4 exchanges which hemorrhaged Eircom customers because of it ....

just because they haven't a flashy advertisement campaign doesn't mean there's not work going on elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

yeah, the execution of this rollout has been amazing! I just hope that the final phase will go just as well, ie the distribution and installation of the modems. Did I read somewhere that they'll want to send a technician to every household to make sure it's installed correctly? That could possibly mean waiting times of months? I'd be happy enough to install my own modem, if that's an option.

Agreed. I don't want to wait for months for a technician just to connect my modem, I can do it myself. I really hope there will be an option that they will send me the modem by post, and when the ADSL link goes down, I just replace the modem and I know they already patched me to the new cab. Technically I suppose there is no problem with that.

Same with the modem, I want to use my new modem in bridge mode. I have a proper Cisco router, I don't want the DMZ pain. With VDSL I neither will have the option to by an own modem, as I heard due to vectoring I must use the provided modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    lets be realistic, we are been conned rotten and COMREG dont help, VF, and all the other providers knew fibre was on the way and they did nothing, as I have said before they are coining it in using old copper, we have no alternative and the longer it takes for fibre the more they make, lets hope eircom get it right and we can cock a snoop at those other lazy good for nothing so and so's.

the prices here are off the wall compared to uk

The way I read it is the other providers suspected the fibre was on the way from Eircom. How could they actually know when the dogs in the street knew that Eircom was a sinking ship for the past 4yrs until last year's re-configuration?

The way I read it is the other providers suspected the fibre was on the way from Eircom. How could they actually know when the dogs in the street knew that Eircom was a sinking ship for the past 4yrs until last year's re-configuration?

The fibre pilot was in progress at that stage anyway, so even if eircom had of been sold to Hutchison Whampoa they would have taken on the fibre rollout too no doubt.

Sky on the other hand as discussed previously have done all they could but still released their broadband at completely the wrong time. No idea why you'd set up ADSL a few months in advance of VDSL? As for Vodafone etc, I have no idea what they will be offering on fibre but it will launch almost simultaneously with eircom.

For those who haven't read/seen already the eircom packages will be - 30mb, 50mb, 70mb.

30mb will have a 30gb allowance and is likely to be €45 per month. (only €2 odd per 10gb that you exceed on your allowance, max of €20 odd you can be charged for excess usage)

50mb will be unlimited (expect FUP of 500gb though) and IS €50 per month. (attached screenshot of my upgrade)

70mb will be as above and is likely to be €60 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Are Eircom upgrading people already or is it just an agreement for when its rolled out?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Are Eircom upgrading people already or is it just an agreement for when its rolled out?

Some people (myself included) are able to process their upgrade online however nothing happens until after May 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

They will be sending an Eircom lad around to change your main phone point. There will be your normal point for the phone and and Ethernet looking port for the modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Anyone have a map of the fibre rollout progression or have an idea of how much % of the country has been provided with fibre ?

Thanks in advance...doing a college project!

Advertisement