Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Anyone have a map of the fibre rollout progression or have an idea of how much % of the country has been provided with fibre ?

Thanks in advance...doing a college project!

There's a cabinet mapping project on going at the moment, there are also maps of which areas are to be updated.

See http://irelandoffline.org/2013/01/broadband-overview/

The "fibre" rollout (which is not really a fibre rollout but a fibre to the cabinet project) is only in a few selected urban areas.

The only towns that got fibre are Wexford and Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

70mb will be as above and is likely to be €60 per month.

It *is* €60 a month, that's the contract I agreed on the phone last week. 18 month contract.
    They will be sending an Eircom lad around to change your main phone point. There will be your normal point for the phone and and Ethernet looking port for the modem.

She said something like that. Will be there much physical work on the property or is it just the phone jack do you know? My landowner is a stickler for any work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

It *is* €60 a month, that's the contract I agreed on the phone last week. 18 month contract.

She said something like that. Will be there much physical work on the property or is it just the phone jack do you know? My landowner is a stickler for any work done.

Do you have a master mdp like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Just the main socket. Depending on which type you have at the minute it could just be the faceplate. Not a big job either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

depends on your internal wiring situation too ....

• Advertisement

arctan wrote: »
    depends on your internal wiring situation too ....

Explain plix. :)

the idea is to catch the cable at the point of entry, where you separate the VDSL and PSTN, the PSTN goes off to whatever internals and the VDSL to the modem ONLY

but obviously you'll have lines being split in the ETU outside, outside at junction boxes, spurred off to alarms first before hitting a socket etc... with the ADSL (soon to be VDSL) signal being sent to all of the above too .... there are tons of scenarios

obviously people wont be happy with this, and you'll get the "but my router has worked on this socket for years"... but with the wider spectrum in use, VDSL is open to all sorts of noise issues when it hits a persons home, that all scenarios of signal interference or degradation have to be eliminated as best possible.

arctan wrote: »
    the idea is to catch the cable at the point of entry, where you separate the VDSL and PSTN, the PSTN goes off to whatever internals and the VDSL to the modem ONLY

but obviously you'll have lines being split in the ETU outside, outside at junction boxes, spurred off to alarms first before hitting a socket etc... with the ADSL (soon to be VDSL) signal being sent to all of the above too .... there are tons of scenarios

obviously people wont be happy with this, and you'll get the "but my router has worked on this socket for years"... but with the wider spectrum in use, VDSL is open to all sorts of noise issues when it hits a persons home, that all scenarios of signal interference or degradation have to be eliminated as best possible.

We currently have the main mdp 3m from the front door and it has a RJ45 socket. Does he just change that faceplate and add the new router?

yours sounds like it should be pretty straight forward, I'd imagine that's all that will have to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

The fibre pilot was in progress at that stage anyway, so even if eircom had of been sold to Hutchison Whampoa they would have taken on the fibre rollout too no doubt.

Sky on the other hand as discussed previously have done all they could but still released their broadband at completely the wrong time. No idea why you'd set up ADSL a few months in advance of VDSL? As for Vodafone etc, I have no idea what they will be offering on fibre but it will launch almost simultaneously with eircom.

For those who haven't read/seen already the eircom packages will be - 30mb, 50mb, 70mb.

30mb will have a 30gb allowance and is likely to be €45 per month. (only €2 odd per 10gb that you exceed on your allowance, max of €20 odd you can be charged for excess usage)

50mb will be unlimited (expect FUP of 500gb though) and IS €50 per month. (attached screenshot of my upgrade)

70mb will be as above and is likely to be €60 per month.

is this price all in (phone line with existing number & broadband or is the line rental on top of this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Does the existing ADSL faceplate do the job, or is there anything specifically required for VDSL2?

I know the UK setup seems to employ a different faceplate for VDSL, but that could equally be down to eliminating the bell wire which they use over there that tends to cause DSL issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

red_bairn wrote: »
    Do you have a master mdp like this?

RJ11 or RJ45...or is it both :confused:

RJ11 or RJ45...or is it both :confused:

Both. I've just the one atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

red_bairn wrote: »
    Both. I've just the one atm.

What is an NTU?....this yoke?

And my RJ11 wall socket....i assume this will be replaced...:confused:

manky floor.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Having to move my modem down stairs will have implications for me. I wired my house with cat 6, with all the cables running to an upstairs office. I'll now have to run an additional cat 6 cable from my master socket downstairs out through the wall to the outside, up a drainage pipe and back inside the office. Easier than running it any other way :(

My question though. Since eventually pair bonding will be used, will the installers wire it now for pair bonding compatibility, or will that require another engineer visit in 5 years time when they use that technology?

Praetorian wrote: »
    Having to move my modem down stairs will have implications for me. I wired my house with cat 6, with all the cables running to an upstairs office. I'll now have to run an additional cat 6 cable from my master socket downstairs out through the wall to the outside, up a drainage pipe and back inside the office. Easier than running it any other way :(

My question though. Since eventually pair bonding will be used, will the installers wire it now for pair bonding compatibility, or will that require another engineer visit in 5 years time when they use that technology?

Eircom sockets already can carry two lines. You connect line 1 to L1 and L2 and line 2 to S1 and S2

Assuming you'd a spare pair coming into the house it could be connected to this. All you'd need is a new faceplate to provide a socket that sends both lines to the new modem.

RJ11 can carry up to three lines too. Common enough to have 2 line phones in the states at one stage. You carry line 1 on centre pair and line two on the next pins outside that.

The outer pins were left spare for office phone systems etc.

There was always extensive future proofing in those systems which is why all phone sockets have 4 or 6 terminals.

If they've sense, they'll wire in the extra pair now. They could even leave it active on a spair set of terminals on the modem port. Once the service becomes available it would avoid a second engineer call.

Even if they did need a future call though it would be really minor work in most cases as most homes are wires with two lines coming in anyway.

It would be more complex in homes wired in the 70s or earlier as its possible only one line comes in. In that case you'd need a new line run from the pole / underground vault outside

Solair wrote: »
    It would be more complex in homes wired in the 70s or earlier as its possible only one line comes in. In that case you'd need a new line run from the pole / underground vault outside

:rolleyes: Ours then...

Solair,

thanks for that. I do have two pairs, and any house I've ever seen has at least 2 pairs. But the big question will they have as you say "sense". To me it's a no brainer. If they ever plan to pair bond, they should wire for it now. If they think the next evolution beyond changing frequencies and vectoring is not pair bonding then they probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Solair,

will they have as you say "sense". To me it's a no brainer. If they ever plan to pair bond, they should wire for it now. If they think the next evolution beyond changing frequencies and vectoring is not pair bonding then they probably won't.

I know eircom have changed a lot recently but when I see "sense" ,"think" and planning in the same sentence I wonder if we are thinking about the same eircom?

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

You can check on their website now to see if you can get it and according it the checker it's not available in Five Oaks on the Dublin Road in Drogheda but all the estates around us can get it. Is this because a) It just doesn't have all May 20th areas added yet or b) it won't be rolled out to this estate even though it's on the Drogheda Town exchange and all the other estates around are being enabled?

• Advertisement

Solair,

thanks for that. I do have two pairs, and any house I've ever seen has at least 2 pairs. But the big question will they have as you say "sense". To me it's a no brainer. If they ever plan to pair bond, they should wire for it now. If they think the next evolution beyond changing frequencies and vectoring is not pair bonding then they probably won't.

Older houses almost always have a line drop that looks a bit like 'zip cord'. It's just two fairly thick, high quality copper cables. They're usually both black.

They began to install spair pairs in the very early 80s when the modular RJ11 phone sockets appeared.

There's always been a notion that people might need a second line or that the system might have needed second pairs for some kind of future data services.

I would suspect they were forward planning for ISDN which was the technology that really was a solution in search of a problem.

Before DSL arrived there were ideas floating around about using multiple pairs with ISDN to give up to a half meg!

Oddly fibre or maybe even coax probably would have been rolled out by telephone cos to the home if DSL never happened.

Essentially DSL made it possible to provide broadband over a network of wires that was absolutely never intended to carry data at all. That's why it's so rubbish at times!

The use of mobile phones also wiped out the need for multiple lines to residential premises.

In the US in particular two or even three lines wasn't that unusual in bigger homes with lots of kids/teens before the advent of mobiles.

Wasn't that they were just loaded but rather that phone services were open to competition and much cheaper in the states than in Europe in the 80s & 90s.

I would say Telecom had ideas about multi-line households while seeing £$$$£££ signs!

Some Irish houses did have second lines for the Internet (dial up) or still havd "business lines" for the home office etc tho.

Could be quite a lot of places that could do pair bonding no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Awesome, my address is ready for the launch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

My address is showing as fibre enabled too, but my town wasn't on the original listings.

I assume thats an error? How could I get to the bottom of that? :confused:

AidenL wrote: »
    My address is showing as fibre enabled too, but my town wasn't on the original listings.

Where are you living? Town/street address

I have to say, this "Can I get it" is absolutely rubbish.

I have to say, this "Can I get it" is absolutely rubbish.

They clearly aren't checking out the Cabinet mapping. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

LFCFan wrote: »
    You can check on their website now to see if you can get it and according it the checker it's not available in Five Oaks on the Dublin Road in Drogheda but all the estates around us can get it. Is this because a) It just doesn't have all May 20th areas added yet or b) it won't be rolled out to this estate even though it's on the Drogheda Town exchange and all the other estates around are being enabled?

Same boat here. Two houses in my estate seem to be only able to get it. I'm guessing they have not updated much of the addresses yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Go here, http://eircom.net/efibre/ and on the right hand side click "can i get it" and search your address, just because there are cabs in the area now doesn't mean that it is ready to go in the area just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

allen175 wrote: »
    Go here, http://eircom.net/efibre/ and on the right hand side click "can i get it" and search your address, just because there are cabs in the area now doesn't mean that it is ready to go in the area just yet.

I have the opposite problem though - no cabinets in sight, but the "Can I Get It" is saying I can get it ! lol

• Advertisement

I have the opposite problem though - no cabinets in sight, but the "Can I Get It" is saying I can get it ! lol

Yeah, nobody has mapped any cabinets in your town. If you have the time, get out and about to see if there are any around the town or smaller areas (usually beside areas with cul-de-sacs and housing estates. Note that some may be hidden behind bushes or inside the estates.

Advertisement