Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

I presume Park West is in Ballyfermot. I can't see Ballyfermot anywhere on this map, so your best option is to ask on the Eircom forums.

Park West has it's own little exchange covering the business and industrial parks and is marked as Phase 5. Ballyfermot/Chapelizod/Palmerstown are on the Palmerstown exchange which is Phase 1.

Better map to use is the one that can be accessed at the following location:

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

The exchange boundaries should be taken with a pinch of salt but fair play to them for creating the data for them - 5.5MB KML file needed to define that lot. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Codpeas wrote: »
    Park West has it's own little exchange covering the business and industrial parks and is marked as Phase 5. Ballyfermot/Chapelizod/Palmerstown are on the Palmerstown exchange which is Phase 1.

Better map to use is the one that can be accessed at the following location:

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

The exchange boundaries should be taken with a pinch of salt but fair play to them for creating the data for them - 5.5MB KML file needed to define that lot. :eek:

Do you have a list of locations for phase 5? I remember it was easy to find before, but now I can't it.

Do you have a list of locations for phase 5? I remember it was easy to find before, but now I can't it.

Nevermind. I found the list for phase 5 on the map you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Just did a live chat with Digiweb sales there, and got this little nugget of info:

"This service will be rolled out to customer's on the 21st May 2013."

Nothing about prices/packages yet however. They offered to call me when they have that info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

20th for Eircom and pretty much everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

arctan wrote: »
    i cant see any engineer coming to install modems on that date.

thats the date you can order from id say.

no it's the date it's launched and upgrades begin

no it's the date it's launched and upgrades begin

so how come i cant book my engineer for the 20th yet? :D

don't know, but anyone who has done the NGA install course is doing fits and upgrades from 20th on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

What's involved in the install?
    Just fit the same NTU/Splitter socket that has been done for technician - installs for ADSL?

Or will be be using some kind if 'magic' 'fibre' socket like OpenReach do :)

• Advertisement

Will and Sky, vodafone and the others be installing these sockets too?

Will and Sky, vodafone and the others be installing these sockets too?

think its going to be the eircom boys doing all the installs.

it will be Eircom and contractors (I think Sierra got the tender) doing the installs and changeovers

the install will be a regular dsl splitter, but the technician will be taking everything off the line before the main socket so the modem is presented with a "clean" VDSL signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

When I check on the eircom wholesale map the exchange nearest to me gives the following info but I have no clue what it means.
    In the pop up box and the following terms are mentioned but they all have a red X beside them except WESA Reach Nodes.

WEIL

WEIL (local)

WSEA

WSEA Reach Nodes

WSEA APT Nodes

BMB

ok i got eircom alarm , which already has an expensive dsl spitter installed. he wired into the back of the socket.

i dont have a 2 way socket. so how is everything going to be taken off the line before the socket?

if it was done correctly, everything already is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I am in rush with sky. Come May 20 when Eircom is updated will i get better speeds?

you'll have to contact you're provider to find that out

From what I've seen so far nobody except eircom has advertised when though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

you'll have to contact you're provider to find that out

Not exactly true, people here know whats whats..

• Advertisement

as overtly... Vodafone have had a very active door to door drive, sky too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

as overtly... Vodafone have had a very active door to door drive, sky too

and Magnet have been advertising too

I'm not switching anyway until I know what kind of call bundles etc I can get.

Eircom's lack of UK landline calls inclusive in the bundle puts me off.

bealtine wrote: »
    and Magnet have been advertising too

Do they serve outside Dublin / greater dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Mickalus wrote: »
    Do they serve outside Dublin / greater dublin area?

yes everywhere eircom will provide service...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Tonio

Some questions on the rollout of green cabinets. In Midleton I have noticed that several VDSL cabinets have been added. I guess that this is a work in progress and more will be added over time.

Most VDSL cabinets are beside old green cabinets. One in particular does not seem to be close to an existing green cabinet. Can these cabinets pop up in new locations or does there always have to be an old style cabinet beside or near them?

I also notice that a few old green cabinets around the town do not have a VDSL cabinet - will all existing cabinets be fed to VDSL or is there a reason that some would not be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Hi winger11,

harryh is spot on, the efibre is connected to the local cabinet and a new modem is sent out to customers / address' that can avail of the service.

Thanks, Mark

-Here

Nobody installs it for you... :confused:

Tonio wrote: »
    Some questions on the rollout of green cabinets. In Midleton I have noticed that several VDSL cabinets have been added. I guess that this is a work in progress and more will be added over time.

Most VDSL cabinets are beside old green cabinets. One in particular does not seem to be close to an existing green cabinet. Can these cabinets pop up in new locations or does there always have to be an old style cabinet beside or near them?

I also notice that a few old green cabinets around the town do not have a VDSL cabinet - will all existing cabinets be fed to VDSL or is there a reason that some would not be?

They can pop up on their own but a new distribution cabinet would follow afterwards.

Sometimes they're also a few meters from the distribution cabinet which could be behind a wall or across the street. They aren't always exactly side by side.

Also some distribution cabinets are a taller greyish / off white plastic unit rather than the green ones. There were at least two suppliers over the years.

The VDSL cabinet just provides a multi core cable that runs into the junction / distribution cabinet and the signal is patched onto the lines there.

So there always needs to be an connection cabinet as there's nowhere to do that in the little VDSL box which contains the active equipment that actually provides the service.

The rollout is sill on going and will be for months yet. It's only started Midleton.

There's no particular correct order. They could install either cabinet first or both together depending on what's available and what prep work needs to be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

red_bairn wrote: »
    -Here

Nobody installs it for you... :confused:

On that thread, "harryh" first mentions "just a new router and new phone box for the house".

Mark, the Eircom Community Manager, then says that harryh is spot on - but he fails to repeat the bit about the new box needing installation, and just mentions the new modem. I'd assume that Mark mistakenly omitted this bit in his post, and that an engineer install is indeed required.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

So the vDSL cabs work in tandem with the old cabs and are not a direct replacement?

Advertisement