Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

phutyle wrote: »
    On that thread, "harryh" first mentions "just a new router and new phone box for the house".

Mark, the Eircom Community Manager, then says that harryh is spot on - but he fails to repeat the bit about the new box needing installation, and just mentions the new modem. I'd assume that Mark mistakenly omitted this bit in his post, and that an engineer install is indeed required.

Probably only needed in homes that don't have one of those dual connection NTU's installed already. Otherwise it's only a new modem that would be needed surely? Or is there other work apart from the NTU that is needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Hopefully it's a socket on the wall rather than a phone box ! Although one might look rather cool out in the patio for a bit of retro chic!

Very few homes have those splitter sockets installed. Only people who've had engineer installed ADSL or where phonewatch has installed one are likely to have one.

However, if you've a modern installation it's just a case of installing a new faceplate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Solair wrote: »
    Hopefully it's a socket on the wall rather than a phone box ! Although one might look rather cool out in the patio for a bit of retro chic!

Very few homes have those splitter sockets installed. Only people who've had engineer installed ADSL or where phonewatch has installed one are likely to have one.

However, if you've a modern installation it's just a case of installing a new faceplate

Yeah, we just need a new faceplate and the modem. But I have a feeling more work will need to be done on neighbours' houses.

Anybody know what the bundled router is like? Is it simultaneous dual band ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We are down for phase 5 in sixmilebridge. Anyone have any clue when the phase 5 rollout is. I can't see any definite dates anywhere and will we see any advantages in speed from shannon getting phase 4. It's only a few miles away.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    We are down for phase 5 in sixmilebridge. Anyone have any clue when the phase 5 rollout is. I can't see any definite dates anywhere and will we see any advantages in speed from shannon getting phase 4. It's only a few miles away.

I'd highly doubt it. You'll just have to look out for work going on in your own exchange. But the way Eircom have these KN boys working you could see work over that way some time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

I'm on a phase five exchange and there are spray painted yellow markings on manhole covers outside door of it so maybe they might be soon working on it

BArra wrote: »
    I'm on a phase five exchange and there are spray painted yellow markings on manhole covers outside door of it so maybe they might be soon working on it

Where are you located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I see Magnet updated their FATPIPE website with a bit more info (not much) https://www.magnet.ie/fatpipe/
    BArra wrote: »
    there are spray painted yellow markings on manhole covers outside door of it so maybe they might be soon working on it
    They sound like hobo signs. Have you had a lot of people calling to your door asking for a meal and a hot bath? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

phase 5 build is due to be completed by dec 2014

• Advertisement

To be perfectly honest, those marks could be for absolutely any reason! There are all sorts of services for fixed lines, mobiles and various data services etc all run out of those buildings. So, there would regularly be upgrades to fibre connections for various companies and all sorts of other activity.

The only sign that VDSL is coming would be fibre being rolled out in residential areas and then the cabinets appearing.

Without reading 185 pages can someone tell me what the plan is? On the 20th of May will I have my fibre all ready (I checked and my area is sorted)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭briany

Without reading 185 pages can someone tell me what the plan is? On the 20th of May will I have my fibre all ready (I checked and my area is sorted)?

Well, from what I gather, a technician has to come out to each fibre eligible residence to make an alteration to install a VDSL socket alongside the regular one. I don't think they're going to get each house done between then and now. I don't known if they're posting the routers or if the tech brings them, but that could be another thing that'll hold up the rollout. Sounds like there's still a fair amount of work to be done at the residential level, though, so I don't think every eligible household will go live on the 20th, no.

They've contractors (some of the same guys used by Sky & UPC) being trained up to do the wiring checks and install the splitter sockets.

Basically they'll just either :

Install a new master socket that has a splitter faceplate.

Or

If you've a relatively modern installation they'll just check your wiring and install a special splitter faceplate.

Or

If you've already got that stuff installed eg if you'd an engineer install your ADSL or if phonewatch installed a splitter faceplate they'll pretty much just have to check your wiring is ok and plug in the modem.

It's going to be similar in terms of rollout speed to UPC broadband I would imagine. Each house will require a check up because they've no idea what state the internal wiring is in.

I would also suspect the odd house might even need a new line drop. There are some really ancient installations out there that could be crackling away for decades!

Although I think most of those were probably upgraded on the 80s and 90s when TE did the last huge upgrade projects. Not much physical change has happened since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Solair wrote: »
    They've contractors (some of the same guys used by Sky & UPC) being trained up to do the wiring checks and install the splitter sockets.

Basically they'll just either :

Install a new master socket that has a splitter faceplate.

Or

If you've a relatively modern installation they'll just check your wiring and install a special splitter faceplate.

Or

If you've already got that stuff installed eg if you'd an engineer install your ADSL or if phonewatch installed a splitter faceplate they'll pretty much just have to check your wiring is ok and plug in the modem.

It's going to be similar in terms of rollout speed to UPC broadband I would imagine. Each house will require a check up because they've no idea what state the internal wiring is in.

I would also suspect the odd house might even need a new line drop. There are some really ancient installations out there that could be crackling away for decades!

Although I think most of those were probably upgraded on the 80s and 90s when TE did the last huge upgrade projects. Not much physical change has happened since then.

i have a question, im being lead to presume that the main socket, which will be split or replaced, is the only place for the modem to go?

atm i have my office upstairs, and , i dont want to move it, am i going to have to have the new modem at the main point, and wire in ethernnet sockets, or, can the existing phone jack in the office be used.

also, i can not / will not use wifi due to the amount of signals in the area, and lack of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

Is it not the case if you want to keep your normal telephone line that a little bit more setting up the FIBRE is required and the guy has to go to the VDSL cabinet as part of the install, otherwise your BB could be off.

In the UK they say it takes 3 hours to do an install.

We will have prices on the 20th but I done see many installs over the next month.

kaahooters wrote: »
    i have a question, im being lead to presume that the main socket, which will be split or replaced, is the only place for the modem to go?

atm i have my office upstairs, and , i dont want to move it, am i going to have to have the new modem at the main point, and wire in ethernnet sockets, or, can the existing phone jack in the office be used.

also, i can not / will not use wifi due to the amount of signals in the area, and lack of security.

I don't know. However, they do not want the VDSL2 signal on all the sockets in your house as it would probably risk reducing the speed.

They're going to have a standardised set of wiring rules thought. Otherwise it would become very messy!

You can but home plugs like the ones on the Eircom website. I have devolo myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭kaahooters

red_bairn wrote: »
    You can but home plugs like the ones on the Eircom website. I have devolo myself.

why would anyone buy them off eircom when you can get them for £40 off amazon.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Access/dp/B0067GS0YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367596997&sr=8-1&keywords=TL-WPA281

anyway, looks like ill be putting in cat6 sockets in the house so, didnt really wanna do that, but itll be a project for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I use the Netgear ones to great success. The Wireless one is brilliant!

• Advertisement

why would anyone buy them off eircom when you can get them for £40 off amazon.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Access/dp/B0067GS0YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367596997&sr=8-1&keywords=TL-WPA281

anyway, looks like ill be putting in cat6 sockets in the house so, didnt really wanna do that, but itll be a project for me.

Exactly. That's why I linked the devolo ones as well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

When we do a NGA install , the line is tested , any fault detected will be fixed first before doing the actual install , the install will consist of installing an NTU filter socket , which will allow for ( c.p.e) alarm's / existing internal wiring etc to be catered for , the existing internal wiring will be tested as well , any faulty or non standard wiring will be disconnected.From the NTU one modem point will be provided to a location within the premises of the cust's choice -with a proposed limit of 30 mts, I'm told.
    We are waiting to hear if the tv decoder is to be wired or wireless , will let you know when I do ,, hth's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

When we do a NGA install , the line is tested , any fault detected will be fixed first before doing the actual install , the install will consist of installing an NTU filter socket , which will allow for ( c.p.e) alarm's / existing internal wiring etc to be catered for , the existing internal wiring will be tested as well , any faulty or non standard wiring will be disconnected.From the NTU one modem point will be provided to a location within the premises of the cust's choice -with a proposed limit of 30 mts, I'm told.
    We are waiting to hear if the tv decoder is to be wired or wireless , will let you know when I do ,, hth's

You love your apostrophes, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Commas;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

''' yep'''

......I just love that 10below strives to keep us all informed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

This is great to know, thanks. So the installer can simply convert the standard telephone extension plate in the sitting room? House was built 5 years ago and has a telephone extension in every room (can obviously disconnect practically all of these).

I have my current ADSL modem and router connected to a server, NAS, TV, XBMC box under the TV. Having the modem in the hallway would be a major hassle so I'm glad they're being flexible with the install location!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Commas;)

Please tell me you're not serious?
    briany wrote: »
    ......I just love that 10below strives to keep us all informed. smile.png

Can't disagree with that. He's no Sponge Bob, though. :(

Can't disagree with that. He's no Sponge Bob, though. :(

I wonder what exactly Sponge Bob did or said to get banned? Most pick through the posts some time.

Anyway, any useful info on this forthcoming upgrade is welcome from whoever has it and we thank them for their efforts in sharing it.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    I wonder what exactly Sponge Bob did or said to get banned? Most pick through the posts some time.

Anyway, any useful info on this forthcoming upgrade is welcome from whoever has it and we thank them for their efforts in sharing it.

Especially people involved with the work. :D

Advertisement