Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

i had a eircom rep at my door this evening offering eircom fiber up to 70 mb unlimited for 40euro a month,he was saying that an eircom technician will have to come to my house to install the new connection and it would take about 2 and half hours and get a new modem.he was saying that if i sign up before friday this week that connection will be free(this was just a sale pitch)
    but i let him talk away anyway
    I am with sky and pay only 10euro a month but only get about 4mb max connection id love to jump at it but would prob end up pay a fee of about 60 or 70 euro for breaking the contract with sky.
    I think i will wait and see what sky do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

liamnojo92 wrote: »

@MagnetNetworks is there no possibility of ordering now so that I'll be ready to roll on the 20th?

Hi @pelowj unfortunately not, we are restricted to be being allowed sell the product under regulation agreement until then

Yes magnet, you are not allowed to sell it. That doesn't stop you from installing it though does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

naughto wrote: »
    i had a eircom rep at my door this evening offering eircom fiber up to 70 mb unlimited for 40euro a month,he was saying that an eircom technician will have to come to my house to install the new connection and it would take about 2 and half hours and get a new modem.he was saying that if i sign up before friday this week that connection will be free(this was just a sale pitch)
    but i let him talk away anyway
    I am with sky and pay only 10euro a month but only get about 4mb max connection id love to jump at it but would prob end up pay a fee of about 60 or 70 euro for breaking the contract with sky.
    I think i will wait and see what sky do.

Where was this? Is that just for the BB or a bundle?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Liamario wrote: »
    Yes magnet, you are allowed to sell it. That doesn't stop you from installing it though does it.

Can smart sell it, or do they have different lines from eircom. Just read another thread saying smart customers will have to go through digiweb.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Where was this? Is that just for the BB or a bundle?
    castlebar,this was just for BB as i dont use the land line
    i think he said that it would be 30euro a month with a 30gb cap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

GIMickey wrote: »
    Can smart sell it, or do they have different lines from eircom. Just read another thread saying smart customers will have to go through digiweb.

Smart is Digiweb. They were purchased by them a couple of years ago.

Smart customers use eircom's lines, but Smart has its own equipment colocated in the eircom exchanges. So, basically you've a ADSL2 connect and voice provided by Smart's gear over eircom wholesale's lines.

From a technical point of view, it's exactly the same as what eircom provide in NGN areas more or less.

The Smart Telecom website is talking about 'our new home at Digiweb.ie' so, I would assume the Smart brand's about to be dropped.

If you're staying with them for fibre, it's likely it'll be branded as Digiweb.

The changeover wouldn't be any different from changing over from any other provider. Your ADSL2+ line would be disconnected at the exchange and your DSL services would be provided by the VDSL2 from the cabinet instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

So on may 20-21, if I switch to fibre I will more likely be on digiweb fibre yes.

Will this fibre b available in letterkenny on may 20th. Or do we have to wait.
    Considering we have been complete now for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

castlebar,this was just for BB as i dont use the land line
    i think he said that it would be 30euro a month with a 30gb cap

seen the van alright but he didnt call to mine.

still waiting on vodafone to get back to me.

12 days and counting.

where in castlebar you can pm me if you want,the rep is to ring me back tomorrw if you want i can send him your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

where in castlebar you can pm me if you want,the rep is to ring me back tomorrw if you want i can send him your way.

out the westport rd, i m in a contract with vodafone so cant move anyway, but thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mickalus wrote: »
    Who is your provider?

Digiweb very strange response I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

dave1982 wrote: »
    Digiweb very strange response I thought

Yeah I had something similar from them.

Had eircom salesman at my door yesterday, 50 down, 16 up, 500Gig download allowance for 40 euro a month. No calls. Free install. 18 mth contract.

Had Magnet call me back today, practically same package, except for "no contract" (There's a €50 disconnection fee for some of their products)
    50 euro installation fee as well for an eircom engineer to come and set it up
    Don't recall if there was calls in hte package. 59 euro per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I live 500m from two new VDSL cabinets, but when I input my address into www.eircom.ie/efibre, it says unavailable.

Anybody got any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Let's say I do manage to get FTTC broadband.

The house is 30 years old approx, with an underground Eircom line coming in through the front external wall.

There is no socket, just a small box (not a good description), on the inside leaf of the external wall, down low, maybe the size of a pack of cards.

From that box, two lines run, one back outside, then up, then back inside into an upstairs bedroom.

The other is newer, installed by an elec maybe 5 years, from the box, through an internal wall, into a renovated room, where he installed a normal telecoms socket.

The phone and router are connected to that socket.

Question: from what I read, a new socket / splitter needs to go on the external wall at the first point of entry? This is known as the NTU??

Does this need power?

Are the two existing internal wire runs from the "old box" now redundant? Or can I continue to use the existing telecom socket in the next room for phone and router?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Must say, VERY excited about this Fibre upgrade!.....cant wait for May 20th now!
    Being stuck on DSL for 10 years sucks.....a much needed boost!

Geuze wrote: »
    Let's say I do manage to get FTTC broadband.

The house is 30 years old approx, with an underground Eircom line coming in through the front external wall.

There is no socket, just a small box (not a good description), on the inside leaf of the external wall, down low, maybe the size of a pack of cards.

From that box, two lines run, one back outside, then up, then back inside into an upstairs bedroom.

The other is newer, installed by an elec maybe 5 years, from the box, through an internal wall, into a renovated room, where he installed a normal telecoms socket.

The phone and router are connected to that socket.

Question: from what I read, a new socket / splitter needs to go on the external wall at the first point of entry? This is known as the NTU??

Does this need power?

Are the two existing internal wire runs from the "old box" now redundant? Or can I continue to use the existing telecom socket in the next room for phone and router?

They'll install a new NTU socket with a splitter built in where the line comes in or close to there.

They'll have to site it near a power socket too. As the modem needs power. The NTU socket doesn't need power.

Your new modem will be connected to that & your old extension wiring can be connected to the filtered connection on it.

You most likely cannot use the old wiring for the "fibre" (VDSL) modem but you can continue to use it for phones etc but it must be connected to the NTU and big directly to the line.

You can't move the modem around the house on old extension wiring.

You'll have to just think of it a bit like a UPC installation. It's not suitable for connection via old phone wiring in your house. In much the same way that you can't connect a UPC modem via the 30+ year old aerial sockets in your bedrooms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

An Eircom salesman called at my door yesterday. As soon as he identified himself, I let him know that I just renewed my Vodafone contract. He said "Too bad, Ericom are providing fibre broadband in this area." - as if it was an exclusive Eircom offering. I said "Yeah, and Vodafone and everyone else will be providing it too.", to which he replied "They won't get it for 3 or 4 months." and walked off.

This isn't the first time I've got disinformation from an Eircom rep at the door, and is one of the reasons I personally steer clear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

phutyle wrote: »
    An Eircom salesman called at my door yesterday. As soon as he identified himself, I let him know that I just renewed my Vodafone contract. He said "Too bad, Ericom are providing fibre broadband in this area." - as if it was an exclusive Eircom offering. I said "Yeah, and Vodafone and everyone else will be providing it too.", to which he replied "They won't get it for 3 or 4 months." and walked off.

This isn't the first time I've got disinformation from an Eircom rep at the door, and is one of the reasons I personally steer clear of them.

Sure a VF rep told me UPC will be available in my area(Dundalk) by the 26th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

and magnet told me VF dont do fibre, just a few more days and all the waiting will be over..... or will it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

these are salespeople .... they would tell you your granny came back from the dead just to buy XXXX's product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Solair wrote: »
    They'll install a new NTU socket with a splitter built in where the line comes in or close to there.

They'll have to site it near a power socket too. As the modem needs power. The NTU socket doesn't need power.

Your new modem will be connected to that & your old extension wiring can be connected to the filtered connection on it.

You most likely cannot use the old wiring for the "fibre" (VDSL) modem but you can continue to use it for phones etc but it must be connected to the NTU and big directly to the line.

You can't move the modem around the house on old extension wiring.

You'll have to just think of it a bit like a UPC installation. It's not suitable for connection via old phone wiring in your house. In much the same way that you can't connect a UPC modem via the 30+ year old aerial sockets in your bedrooms etc

I think the cable coming in from the outside to my house has currently 4 cores in it, will they still only use of pair of these when connecting into this new ntu ?

I've got cat5e going from my main socket to where my modem is upstairs, would I be able to move the new vdsl2 modem upstairs now, as in will it run over the cat5e ?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

syboit wrote: »
    I think the cable coming in from the outside to my house has currently 4 cores in it, will they still only use of pair of these when connecting into this new ntu ?

I've got cat5e going from my main socket to where my modem is upstairs, would I be able to move the new vdsl2 modem upstairs now, as in will it run over the cat5e ?

From the best of my knowledge the new NTU/splitter piece will have RJ45 for the VDSL modem and RJ11 for phone. Connection to the modem is therefore a standard network cable (crazy if it's not).

So stick RJ45 plugs on either end of the CAT5e cable you have running upstairs, plug one end into the appropriate NTU socket and the other end into the modem upstairs and voila, you're wired in the 'proper' way, just with a somewhat longer cable from the socket to the modem.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I've come to the conclusion that the eFibre 'Can I get it' checker is a pile of poo. If you put a general area in for some it says 9 or XXX indicating that all houses will be able to get it in an estate but for some other estates if you do the same it only lists 2 addresses in the entire estate. I'm not thinking about it anymore till after the 20th!!!!

will the modem have to connected to where the connection is made in the house??.iam with sky and have the skyhub upstairs as i get a better connection when i play xbox live with a wired cable than i do with a wirelss

LFCFan wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that the eFibre 'Can I get it' checker is a pile of poo. If you put a general area in for some it says 9 or XXX indicating that all houses will be able to get it in an estate but for some other estates if you do the same it only lists 2 addresses in the entire estate. I'm not thinking about it anymore till after the 20th!!!!

It's only showing areas that are 100% complete.

Other areas may be very nearly ready but they're not being added to the database until they're ready to go live

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Must say, VERY excited about this Fibre upgrade!.....cant wait for May 20th now!
    Being stuck on DSL for 10 years sucks.....a much needed boost!

Indeed. Let's hope the roll out post 20/5 goes smoothly for the people in the eligible areas. I'll be reserving my excitement 'til the new router gets plugged in. :D

For anyone who's still confused about the NTU, I drew a quick diagram.

253261.jpg

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

www.eircom.net -> Broadband -> "Service Temporarily Unavailable. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

www.eircom.net -> Broadband -> "Service Temporarily Unavailable. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Ironic

Seems fine to me. Have the prices changed? :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Digiweb just rang me there and said they can't tell me price plan or if I can get it it or not untill the 20th and it will be given out on a phased basis.I assume its because I'll need a eircom fella to come out and install it?

It must be eircom thats stopping them from giving out information.

I don't know I just hope I can get this because at the moment all my line can handle is 3mb

Advertisement