Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

there's an embargo until the 20th May, its a long story. If you go to eircom site you can check and register your interest then eircom will contact you etc. i just did it.

no one knows how this will roll out on the 20th but it does look as if an eircom engineer has to visit the premises and I can see eircom giving priority to their own and who can blame them. All the others VF, SKY, MAGNET etc have done sod all and are just waiting on eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Nailed my local eircom tech to be told that the installs are contracted out and are going ahead from the 20th. The efibre link must be updating as it is currently unavailable.

Five minutes later and the complete broadband link has gone down??????

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

I have a feeling that the 20th will come and go without anything worth mentioning....although I hope I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

FOR ME ALSO =

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache Server at secure.eircom.net Port 443

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

its ok here in clare with VF

http://www.eircom.net/efibre/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Praetorian wrote: »
    FOR ME ALSO =

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache Server at secure.eircom.net Port 443

Interesting. I saw it was working earlier after somebody else said it was down. Hopefully they are updating the section with more details about the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I have a feeling that the 20th will come and go without anything worth mentioning....although I hope I am wrong

Great post considering username :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Eircom rep or saleman at the door told me the 50mb unlimited with no fair usage policy €40pm (real unlimited?) ...70mb-50pm.... for just broadband...very excited about this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I never take anything sales reps say seriously unless its in print or on the company's website!

This network could potentially be very good though.

Most FTTC users elsewhere are very impressed with it when they get it.

The only possible disappointments will be for people who are too far from the cabinet to benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

what's happening on May 20th guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

smemon wrote: »

Phase 1 of eFibre is going live. Everybody's getting the day off so they can browse their favorite sites at breakneck speed and there'll be a giant street party later on in the day that'll be simulcasted across the globe.

That's only in phase 1 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Nothing much. Might rain...

Solair wrote: »
    I never take anything sales reps say seriously unless its in print or on the company's website!

This network could potentially be very good though.

Most FTTC users elsewhere are very impressed with it when they get it.

The only possible disappointments will be for people who are too far from the cabinet to benefit.

I hope you mean 1KM or so. I'm about 500-600M away from mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Solair wrote: »
    It's only showing areas that are 100% complete.

Other areas may be very nearly ready but they're not being added to the database until they're ready to go live

Do you reckon that's the case? Two houses in my estate are listed on the checker, unfortunately mine isn't one of them! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

so they can only start selling on the 20th, it going to be like Christmas morning when the engineer comes and people start posting speedtest results.

so is it just phase 1 going live on May 20th? when are phase 2, 3 & 4 going live? are there set roll out dates for any / all?

it seems to be as clear as mud...

so is it just phase 1 going live on May 20th? when are phase 2, 3 & 4 going live? are there set roll out dates for them any / all?

He was only kidding. I think...

It could be possible that more than that could go live. But maybe 10belowzero would know exactly the numbers. :D

so is it just phase 1 going live on May 20th? when are phase 2, 3 & 4 going live? are there set roll out dates for them any / all?

castlebar is going live the 20th . thats phase 2.

irishgeo wrote: »
    castlebar is going live the 20th . thats phase 2.

do we know what 'going live' actually means though? will all existing customers just be upgraded automatically and not have to do anything other than perhaps buy a new router?

do we know what 'going live' actually means though? will all existing customers just be upgraded automatically and not have to do anything other than perhaps buy a new router?

"Going live" I think really means people can actually order it officially. An engineer install is almost certainly required at every single house / business. A new router is required. It will be supplied by your provider. Do not buy your own. It may* not be compatible at all, or with future planned upgrades.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of exchange areas from phase 1-4 will be good to go from May 20th. Then the installer engineers have a busy 6 months ahead of them :)

It would be good to hear some official confirmation however!

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    "Going live" I think really means people can actually order it officially. An engineer install is almost certainly required at every single house / business. A new router is required. It will be supplied by your provider. Do not buy your own. It may* not be compatible at all, or with future planned upgrades.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of exchange areas from phase 1-4 will be good to go from May 20th. Then the installer engineers have a busy 6 months ahead of them :)

It would be good to hear some official confirmation however!

but surely if it's FTTC and not to the home you don't need an engineer to do anything as the signal is just coming in to the house via existing infastructure?

but surely if it's FTTC and not to the home you don't need an engineer to do anything as the signal is just coming in to the house via existing infastructure?

The faceplate needs to be changed. Check out a few pages back in the thread

your going to need a new eircom box on the wall as its going to split the broadband and phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Eircom/KN networks start pulling orange plastic pipe in Gorey. One VDSL cabinet installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

domeld wrote: »
    Eircom/KN networks start pulling orange plastic pipe in Gorey. One VDSL cabinet installed.

Plot it in the mapping thread please?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

i asked the eircom rep that called again to day(same dude as yesterday) what would happen on the 20th he said that the people that signed up before the would have engineers calling to there houses.and there insulation would be free and one after that would have to pay a charge.
    i told him i was staying with sky that they would provide fiber connection for me and that the insulation would also be free.i was only chancing my arm here as i have no clue what sky will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

We hear lots about the wonderful download speed we will get if we are on the fibre network, but does anyone know what the upload speeds will be like? (Sorry if this has already been answered on this thread). I have been thinking of shifting from Eircom to UPC to get myself a better upload speed, but might hold off now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

vienne86 wrote: »
    We hear lots about the wonderful download speed we will get if we are on the fibre network, but does anyone know what the upload speeds will be like? (Sorry if this has already been answered on this thread). I have been thinking of shifting from Eircom to UPC to get myself a better upload speed, but might hold off now.

They've been posted up. I can't remember what they are but they are better than UPC's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

There has been a very quiet seismic shift in how Eircom do business over the last month.There has been a Major transition in how we deal with All customer's of the company , ALL staff have signed a new code of practice, which mean's all customer's of Eircom , be they olo's or wlr's , will be treated equally.
    This mean's in real term's, that we will now be resolving all C.P.E customer issue's for the OLO'S - apart from replacing their company modem's , which we will be able to do for Eircom retail customer's.
    So where we have not been allowed up to now to resolve OLO customer's C.P.E issue's --- we now are ,, hth's 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

vienne86 wrote: »

rWCeHnP.png

Advertisement