Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coil Tire, Doughuisce Clamping

Options
  • 21-02-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

From the 1st of March 2012, clamping of cars will be a punishment for not displaying a parking permit in Coill Tire, Doughiska, Galway

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

From the 1st of March 2012, clamping of cars will be a punishment for not displaying a parking permit in Coill Tire, Doughiska, Galway
    Does anyone know the reason for this?

Management co trying to keep it exclusive, afaik. They don't like people who have visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

I've seen a few cars parked there and left for months. I think they're just trying to keep it from becoming a dumping spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When I lived in Cluain Riocaird I had a resident's parking permit for my car and also a visitors permit for when mates were over.
    I think this was introduced to get people driving in from outside the city from parking in estates during the day and blocking resident's spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I suppose the return bus fare is cheaper than a days parking and quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Lots of people not paying their management fees in the estate, this will force them to pay if they have a car.

• Advertisement

connollys wrote: »
    Lots of people not paying their management fees in the estate, this will force them to pay if they have a car.

Hadn't thought of that! Sly feckers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

connollys wrote: »

Is that really the reason :(
    I have sympathies for folk if that's the case.
    Is Coill Tíre mainly owner-occupied or would this also be problematic for rental folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

That's the reason it was brought in yea, I heard this from my landlord, Management fee is paid by them as part of the rent anyway so makes no difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    I've seen a few cars parked there and left for months. I think they're just trying to keep it from becoming a dumping spot.

How would this stop it being a dumping spot then? If you were dumping a car would you care if it was clamped?

I am an owner in Coill Tire (semi d with parking outside my door) and first I heard of this was about 3 weeks ago. I think it is a disgrace. If people are using it for parking (which I don't believe - there are loads of spaces) why not just do An Fiodan then? Coill Tire is in the back further from bus stop etc.

Can a visitors car be clamped outside my house? I wonder how far in front of house I own?

Also cars that park along side the road on on the bends when there is parking should be towed and not clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Any chance its because of non-residents parking and heading into the park - the playground is right there so I'd guess some people would be too lazy to walk that far down and just park in Coill Tire instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Park the car here and hop on the #9 bus into town - i always thought 1m passengers a year was a bit high for this route...

Welcome to the first unoffical park & ride in Galway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Biggest problem is with people who are renting houses, pocketing rent, pleading nama type cases but refusing to pay management fees (even though they are taking the rent). Massive problem with lack of funds for the management company.

I've heard of one guy who owns five houses/appartments there who hasn't paid a penny yet. Completely unfair on those people who are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

And given they are bringin it in for Coill Tire, will it just push illegal parking to An fiodan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I've heard of one guy who owns five houses/appartments there who hasn't paid a penny yet. Completely unfair on those people who are.
    Every estate in Galway has one of those 'Where is my Nama?' parasites. :(

yfaykya wrote: »
    How would this stop it being a dumping spot then? If you were dumping a car would you care if it was clamped?

Because they'd know that the car was abandoned and have it removed quicker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Have they actually introduce visitor parking permits? If so how does a visitor arrange one? Where is the managing agent's office or phone number? I always assumed, apparently incorrectly, that the paring spaces in front of the houses facing the hall doors, were private and all others were visitor spaces.

mathepac wrote: »
    Have they actually introduce visitor parking permits? If so how does a visitor arrange one? Where is the managing agent's office or phone number? I always assumed, apparently incorrectly, that the paring spaces in front of the houses facing the hall doors, were private and all others were visitor spaces.

Friends who live there tell me that they have been introduced, or will be very soon (sorry, I cannot remember the dates). Number of permits is strictly controlled, based on the number of bed-spaces per house.

Residents have to purchase the visitors permits, and they apply to all cars and car-parking spaces in the estate.

The official story is the one about the management fees.

But I cannot help believe that it's also to do with small-minded attitudes about people having visitors. IMHO, it'll push down the property values in the estate - no way would I buy or rent somewhere that I couldn't say to three friends "pop over for coffee".

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Lot of misinformation and speculation in this thread! Main reason the parking permits are coming in is because they are trying to force owners to pay service charges.

From the letter -

"Permits are issued free of charge to residents who are up to date with their service charges. Vehicles with no permit will be clamped - release fee €120. 1/2 bed: 2 permits, 3/4 bed: 3permits, visitor permits available to purchase online for €15 each.

In addition a text service is available to allow visitors to park for a 24hr period without being clamped. Text the reg number to 087xxxxxxx. Limited to two 24hr periods per 7 days.

Enforcement begins 1 Mar. Decision instigated by residents committee and approved at AGM. Any renting residents who haven't received permits yet should check with their landlord."

While not totally in favour of this move, I can see some logic. As a previous poster commented, it isn't fair that some people pay service charges while others don't and get away with it.

Also agree with comment that cars which are parked along the road on the bends when there is parking nearby are much more dangerous.

Doubt there are many people parking in Coill Tire and getting the bus but some people do come into Coill Tire to park near the playground. Know of a few who park and walk through the hospital to GMIT also!

Remains to be seen how strictly it will be enforced, hopefully there will be a bit of common sense around peak visitor times e.g. Ocean Race & Race Week as long as they are parked sensibly of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

dannyd20 wrote: »
    ... In addition a text service is available to allow visitors to park for a 24hr period without being clamped. Text the reg number to 087xxxxxxx. Limited to two 24hr periods per 7 days. ...
    Thanks for that but any chance you might publish the full number? It shouldn't be a problem as it's a service number not a private one.

The letters have not reached all residents / property-owners in the estate yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

Wow regular people pay for people who wont pay , sounds like the bank bailout.

Do they also charge for every dump you take in the toilet when visiting.

This country gets better and better.

• Advertisement

Cheers, my friends didn't mention the text service, but they might not be the most tech-savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Thanks for that but any chance you might publish the full number? It shouldn't be a problem as it's a service number not a private one.

Forum charter doesn't allow posting of contact numbers. Letters & permits were supposed to be hand delivered to all eligible residents by 17 Feb.

I'll pm ya the number.

dannyd20 wrote: »
    Remains to be seen how strictly it will be enforced, hopefully there will be a bit of common sense around peak visitor times e.g. Ocean Race & Race Week as long as they are parked sensibly of course.

Apcoa is involved, so it will be strictly enforced regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Coill Tire

The management company claims that some residence refused to pay their property management fees and they've tried all means to make them pay without success. The management company now want to violate the civil liberties of the residence by clamping their cars if they do not display a parking disk which the residence do not have any statutory obligation to display.

Only residents who are up to date with their payments will get the parking disks

This is a private company without any contractual agreement with any resident of Coill Tire. If they have a contractual agreement with the residents they can use legal means to collect service charge arrears.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is that really the reason :(
    I have sympathies for folk if that's the case.
    Is Coill Tíre mainly owner-occupied or would this also be problematic for rental folk?

That is not the only reason, it is just the first step for more to come. The estate is not mainly owner-occupied. Many are renting from landlords who's circumstances might have changed and can hardly keep up with their mortgage repayment from the rent they get. Most of the houses were bought during the boom era at prices inflated by the same estate agents who are now coming hard on people to pay a non statutory, non contractual fee.

The constitution of this country guarantee every individual's right to private family life. The moment a family member or guest can only visit you twice a week and that is after you've sent a text to a number seeking permission to be allowed to receive a visitor, then we are all in trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Renters should be entitled to find out whether their landlord has paid their annual service charges too.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Renters should be entitled to find out whether their landlord has paid their annual service charges too.
    A six month bank statement and a legitimate legible recent tax clearance certificate to ensure the landlord is solvent ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Coill Tire wrote: »
    The constitution of this country guarantee every individual's right to private family life. The moment a family member or guest can only visit you twice a week and that is after you've sent a text to a number seeking permission to be allowed to receive a visitor, then we are all in trouble.
    This has to be the most novel invocation of the right to marital privacy I've ever seen. Thinking back, if a clamp had been put on Mr McGee, perhaps his missus wouldn't have had to see contraception from the Supreme Court.

• Advertisement

Coill Tire wrote: »
    That is not the only reason, it is just the first step for more to come. The estate is not mainly owner-occupied. Many are renting from landlords who's circumstances might have changed and can hardly keep up with their mortgage repayment from the rent they get. Most of the houses were bought during the boom era at prices inflated by the same estate agents who are now coming hard on people to pay a non statutory, non contractual fee.
    I would imagine that the management contract was part of the original sale agreement.

If the landlord is struggling I don't see how it is the management company or other resident's problem.

Advertisement