Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build boots to blank screen.

Options
  • 21-02-2012 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Built a new computer back in November, worked perfectly up until now really.
    Came home and turned it on only for it to boot up and show the windows loading logo, then it reset and went to a blank screen.
    Now every time I boot the pc it just boots to a blank screen and sits there. No mouse or any visual indications.

1 beep for POST so thats grand.
    Tried removing each stick of RAM and trying it on only 1 stick.
    Reseated the heat sink.
    no luck
    Was going to try re-seating the graphics card but its proving difficult to remove, so going to research a bit more on that first.

specs are:
    ASRock H61M-VGS mobo
    Intel i5 2400 cpu
    Sapphire Radeon 6850
    8gb ram
    2 HDD's
    550w psu.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Sounds like a Graphics Card or a Monitor problem to me.

I'd recommend testing the monitor on another device like a laptop/netbook to make sure that it is working OK.

If the monitor is OK, I double-check if the Graphics Card is seated OK,
    and maybe try swaping the graphics card DVI/VGA/HDMI lead for another one.

BTW, do you hear the windows boot up music?
    , perhaps the machine is booting up OK in the background...
    just without the monitor to see it.

Also, it's possible BIOS might be corrupted or something, can you get into the BIOS at all?
    If you can, try 'reset to defaults' or 'load optimised defaults' and see if that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Looking to be a hard drive problem at this stage, been looking into it all evening :(
    Loaded a linux live cd just now and had a look at the drive. Its contents are completely empty yet it says there is 300gb of data on it :confused:

Just trying to figure out if there is a way I can somehow save some data from it as its looking like a fresh install of windows may be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Was going to try re-seating the graphics card but its proving difficult to remove, so going to research a bit more on that first.

There's a little clip on the PCI-e slot that you might have forgotten to disengage.

http://hothardware.com/articleimages/item1288/big_ud3r-clips.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

TomCo wrote: »
    There's a little clip on the PCI-e slot that you might have forgotten to disengage.

http://hothardware.com/articleimages/item1288/big_ud3r-clips.jpg

Yeah thanks I found that. Just was a bit stiff to come out so was unsure

Advertisement