Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Lasers

Options
  • 21-02-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Recently in the 'Bray People' Newspaper there was an article about a group of lads aiming their green laser towards a helicopter of some type (I think it may have been the red and white rescue one). I know that this is a stupid thing to do and from hearing about the article gave the heli a hard time flying due to their clear glass cockpit.

I'm mainly wondering are green and red lasers illegal or are they safe to use in the Rep of Ire. I recently bought a An/Peq box with LED torch and REALLY high power laser from the N11 outdoor store and its an AMAZING product but I'm mainly wondering is it legal to use them both during the day and or at night during games.

Mods you may have the knowledge I'm not sure.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭moggser

you can read all the info you want here in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭unclebens

:DOh sweet man cheers !!! seems like they are legal with limits

"Lasers of less than 5 milli Watts in the light frequencies of 630 to
    680nm would not be
    considered to be firearms "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

in The confines of your home buy whatever the f*ck you want. I have many, powerful lasers. In game however, or mounted on a RIF NEVER use one over 5mw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

in The confines of your home buy whatever the f*ck you want. I have many, powerful lasers. In game however, or mounted on a RIF NEVER use one over 5mw.

so if this powerful laser is over the legal wavelength it's still illegal, so why own/keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Some people use them for stargazing, have a few myself and can be handy enough to have :)

• Advertisement

T4RGET wrote: »
    so if this powerful laser is over the legal wavelength it's still illegal, so why own/keep them.
    Stargazing.

Also the wavelength is the same for all powers in a particular colour. The law in Ireland is unclear on the use of laser devices, so stating I have a legal device is wrong. It is only illegal to mount them on a gun (Classed then as a firearm accessory) or to use them in an airsoft game (Insurance etc. blind someone in a second)

Green = 532
    Red = 650
    Blue = 405.

So an 800mw green laser still has a wavelength of 530nm.
    I have several green ones between 30-200mw.

So in a game they are illegal to use ? even if the site says its okay to use ? i wonder why An/Peq boxes are ok to use as they are obviously for rail mounting and to be used on a gun like

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's not illegal to use them on an airsoft gun, the DOJ clarified that matter a few years back, they recommended they stay under 5mw but there is no exact limit written in law.

However, it is illegal to mount it to a firearm without the authorisation of your local superintendent just as you would require for a supressor etc.

So provided ur just not shining em into peoples eyes and using it like a down right twat ur grand ?

Just use under 5mw in a game if you can, if you have one over it and the site lets you use it grand, just be very careful please.

Also Blay, I said they are illegal to use on a gun did I not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Just use under 5mw in a game if you can, if you have one over it and the site lets you use it grand, just be very careful please.

Also Blay, I said they are illegal to use on a gun did I not?

Technically an airsoft gun is a gun but is not a firearm and therefore his emphasis is warranted.

Stonewolf wrote: »
    Technically an airsoft gun is a gun but is not a firearm and therefore his emphasis is warranted.
    When I say gun I mean a firearm.

When I say 'airsoft gun' I mean an airsoft gun.

You merely misunderstood my meaning of the word gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

In here, gun = airsoft gun, firearm = firearm. It's not that anyone else misunderstood your meaning, it's that the meaning wasn't clear, given context. It's like going to Croke Park and talking about football, but meaning soccer. When you're in the realm of a shared name, specifics are important.

NakedDex wrote: »
    In here, gun = airsoft gun, firearm = firearm. It's not that anyone else misunderstood your meaning, it's that the meaning wasn't clear, given context. It's like going to Croke Park and talking about football, but meaning soccer. When you're in the realm of a shared name, specifics are important.

A - it wasn't your conversation
    B - Fine I'll specify myself more explicitly for the benefit of members.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

B - Fine I'll specify myself more explicitly for the benefit of members.

I think your misunderstanding how a forum works, its everyone's conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Its a public forum, so it's everyone's conversation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

That was, undoubtedly, the finest in soapbox proclamation.

Here's a quick counter:
    "Did you see the football the other night? That Brady lad is fierce quick when he wants to be. See him dodge that tackle before he passed?"
    Now, what sport am I talking about? See the confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Don't use lasers at games, they are pointless and potentially dangerous.

That's all I'm trying to say, And I know it's everyone conversation, I just mean you didn't need to even bother saying that. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I agree with what stercus said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Don't use lasers at games, they are pointless and potentially dangerous.

They arnt pointless tbh. It really depends how you use them.

I find a laser is very usefull in some games, but only at close range and in specific games.

I have my laser sighted to about 20ft.
    In a game where im defending and its pitch black i need to know im aiming centre mass right at the edge of a doorway to get off a shot as soon as someone comes around.

Im not going to flash a torch on and take a shot to see exactly where im aiming, but a quick press of a laser will allow me to adjust the aim and most likely not be seen.

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    They arnt pointless tbh. It really depends how you use them.

I find a laser is very usefull in some games, but only at close range and in specific games.

I have my laser sighted to about 20ft.
    In a game where im defending and its pitch black i need to know im aiming centre mass right at the edge of a doorway to get off a shot as soon as someone comes around.

Im not going to flash a torch on and take a shot to see exactly where im aiming, but a quick press of a laser will allow me to adjust the aim and most likely not be seen.

A red-dot sight will do the same, the difference is you won't get bunches of lads actively pointing aegs with lasers at each other as is the nature of the game. I personally don't want to have lasers shined in my eyes, especially in a dark environment blinding me, and the benefit is negligible compared to a red-dot. In my opinion, and that's all it is, they are all but useless compared to alternative attachments for AEGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

A red-dot sight will do the same, the difference is you won't get bunches of lads actively pointing aegs with lasers at each other as is the nature of the game. I personally don't want to have lasers shined in my eyes, especially in a dark environment blinding me, and the benefit is negligible compared to a red-dot. In my opinion, and that's all it is, they are all but useless compared to alternative attachments for AEGs.

With the mask i wear its impossible to look down the sights on a aeg.
    So for the scenario i mentioned there is no other option for me.
    No other attachement for me would give the benefit of using my laser.

But yeah when people act the fool with lasers it is nothing but annoying.
    Thankfully i havent had this issue too much.

Usually when i see someone constantly turning a laser on while shooting at long range i ask them to turn it off. Its completely ineffective at long range so i have to assume they are just acting the maggot with it.

But yeah... for people like myself whos choice of mask prevents looking through sights a laser does become very useful for scenarious like i mentioned.

I prefer torches anyway. :)
    *Runs up stores and plays with several of hem.

goodlad wrote: »
    With the mask i wear its impossible to look down the sights on a aeg.
    So for the scenario i mentioned there is no other option for me.
    No other attachement for me would give the benefit of using my laser.

But yeah when people act the fool with lasers it is nothing but annoying.
    Thankfully i havent had this issue too much.

Usually when i see someone constantly turning a laser on while shooting at long range i ask them to turn it off. Its completely ineffective at long range so i have to assume they are just acting the maggot with it.

But yeah... for people like myself whos choice of mask prevents looking through sights a laser does become very useful for scenarious like i mentioned.

For mask use, there are styles of stocks that are designed with this in mind as this is an issue real police and military operators encounter who use ballistic masks, there are also special rail risers too for this purpose, if you are interested in them.

For mask use, there are styles of stocks that are designed with this in mind as this is an issue real police and military operators encounter who use ballistic masks, there are also special rail risers too for this purpose, if you are interested in them.

Also you could just use a mesh lower face mask because you can actually bend them to form the shape of your stock, that and they can be comfy (Depends on which one you get really) and there nice and breathable. While still getting maximum protection for your teeth.

Advertisement