Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be unsafe?

Options
  • 21-02-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've got a dell poweredge 6850 and am wondering how much power you can draw via the pci-e and x slots. I know pci-e can draw 75w but I'm not sure about x.

Given that an ATX connector on a normal desktop can provide a maximum of 150w, what should I expect the 6850 to be able to provide?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Are you planning on connecting into the PCI-X slot to power something?
    If so why not take it direct from the PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

PCI-X is maximum 25W, 3.3V 7.6 amps. You have to have the correct pins on the PCI connector pulled low to get this.
    There is also 5 amps at 5V, and .5 amps at 12 V.

PCI-E by the way is not always 75W. If the ports are shared on a riser in a server, they might be limited to 25W also.
    And it's 4.8A at 3.3V + 4.8 A at 12V.

As for the power, the PSU is rated for 1470 W. A big chunk of this is for running the Xeons and powering the 15000 rpm hard drive backplane + drives.

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe6850/en/index.htm

What can be 'taken' from it depends on what voltage and current you are looking to draw, and through what interfaces you want to draw the power.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's for a graphics card then if it requires more power than the standard port will supply it will have additional connectors for that power , use them

Advertisement