Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Consumer Experience

Options
  • 21-02-2012 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi everyone!
    This is a long story so please bear with me! Five weeks ago, we bought a grate for the fireplace at home because our old one had broken after only one year (it never really fitted into the fireplace anyway so we weren't too surprised but our grates in the pat have lasted for many years). The grate costed 50 euro and we bought it from Fireplaces of Elegance in the Liosban Industrial Estate in Galway. The grate had fitted into the fireplace perfectly but one day we took it out and found that the grate had literally cut in two - bearing in mind this is supposed to be a high quality, long lasting strong grate!! My parents were annoyed at this and so my dad brought the grate to the manager this morning.

He explained the situation to the man and how he had sold him a faulty grate. The man said he remembered selling the grate to him bu there was no way he was getting a refund or exchange. My dad said to him that this was crazy considering the item was obviously faulty and 50 euro is a lot of money to throw away on a shoddy item. The manager (<SNIP>) was very forceful and defensive about it and would not admit he was wrong so my dad left the shop.

Later today, my mother and I called out there again as I know quite a lot about the different consumer acts ( this issue I believe would be under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 where the item was not fit for its purpose of of merchantable quality as it did not have reasonable durability and was obviously shoddy). We calmly explained the situation to him and how my dad had already called in and that we were entitled to a refund or exchange. He denied having admitted that he remembered selling the item to my dad five weeks ago even though he had said he remembered this morning. He had never given a receipt so I said he should have it on the computer and he said yes he would have record of it. I quoted the Consumer Act to him and he got extremely angry and out of nowhere, he suddenly just went crazy and shouted and screamed at us. I stepped backwards because I was afraid he would hit me such was the volume at which he was shouting. We couldn't even understand what he was saying he was so angry. I genuinely thought he would hit my mother even though she has been so polite to him. We told him that the way he was reacting was unbelievable and that it was him who was in the wrong and we were entitled to our money back.

At this point he ran to the door and told us to get out of the shop. We left and told him we would be taking it to the Small Claims Court and he laughed at us. He closed the door on us and laughed at us as he said thank you.

We were left very shaken over this experience and could never imagined that a business man could react in such a way to his customers. I was wondering what course of action we should take from here. It's a matter of principle at this stage and I feel so angry that someone could treat his customers in this way even though he is in the wrong. Any help would be so appreciated. I'm still in shock over this as I have never witnessed such an outburst of anger in my life from someone.

Thank you for all your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

your bang out of luck with no receipt, no judge will award against him without you supplying proof of purchase.

perhaps send him a letter appealing to his better nature and hopefully he will replace it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GAAGirl1

bobmalooka wrote: »
    your bang out of luck with no receipt, no judge will award against him without you supplying proof of purchase.

perhaps send him a letter appealing to his better nature and hopefully he will replace it

But he admitted that he would have a record of the receipt given on the computer and all he would have to do is check but then he suddenly turned angry. We told him he never provided a receipt but he said all that is on the computer. Surely, he has to be in the wrong?

Oh, from our dealings with him, I doubt he has any better nature!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Like has been said, your out of luck, nothing is stopping him from deleting that record now.

If I were you I would just chalk it to experience and take the hit.

In future always look for a receipt, as far as I know stores don't have to offer a receipt but have to give one if asked for one.

Also make sure not to shop there again and to let your friends and family know you will also not be shopping there.

The most you could get from SCC is 32 euro (50 euro minus 18 euro SCC fee)

It's not worth it in my opinion to spend a day at the court.

GAAGirl1 wrote: »
    But he admitted that he would have a record of the receipt given on the computer and all he would have to do is check but then he suddenly turned angry. We told him he never provided a receipt but he said all that is on the computer. Surely, he has to be in the wrong?

Oh, from our dealings with him, I doubt he has any better nature!!

He is in the wrong but unfortunately its up to you to provide proof of purchase, and without his co-operation you wont be able to do that.

Try again with him, I think writing a letter is your best option if he is so defensive face to face.

If you have no joy tell everyone you know not to shop there.
    At least you learned to ALWAYS get a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappichino

I don't think this business man realises the importance of customer loyalty .He might save himself 50 euro today but a lot of people will hear about his antics and avoid the place in the future . If he had replaced the grate I'm sure you all would have been singing his praises and he would have gained customers . I know I act a lot on good recommendations.

• Advertisement

cappichino wrote: »
    I don't think this business man realises the importance of customer loyalty .He might save himself 50 euro today but a lot of people will hear about his antics and avoid the place in the future . If he had replaced the grate I'm sure you all would have been singing his praises and he would have gained customers . I know I act a lot on good recommendations.

incredibly short sighted business practice, his actual saving would be less than 50euro (cost price of product) or nothing if he can return to supplier.

Thank you everybody for all your advice!

I'm so annoyed over all this! He was so horrible and called us liars. He told my dad in the morning that he remembered selling the grate five weeks ago to us and then when we went in later he said that he never had said that and for all he knew 'I sold it to ye years ago'. We told him that he never gave a receipt and he said he would check it on the computer and we said ok but then he lost the head on us and I was genuinely frightened of what he could do. I'm annoyed that there seems to be nothing I can do at this stage. I know his name is <SNIP> but it's not like I can complain about him to anyone because he's the one who owns that store.

Like ye said, it was very shortsighted of him not to give a refund or exchange because he will lose business from us and all our friends and family.

Thanks anyway for your advice everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

came across this guy too when we built our previous house...terrible customer service...stayed the heck away for this house! Sorry to hear about your trouble with him OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Did you pay cash or use a card?

Readmylips, that's awful that you had the same kind of trouble with him too. It seems like he's just a bad business man with a hot temper. I've heard a few others saying how they've had bother with him and one had spent quite a considerable amount of money and got no refund even though they were given the wrong item. Perhaps he has a policy of not giving out receipts so there's no proof of purchase! I'm mad now that my dad never asked for a receipt, but I suppose you don't think that something like this will happen!

Zab, we payed with cash, so the only proof we would have would be if he had checked on the computer and he mentioned this but when we asked what was the problem with a refund then if he had it, he went absolutely off the wall. We had been so calm and polite as well so we just really couldn't understand his reaction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement