Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gáis & deposits from tenants?

Options
  • 21-02-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I've had a problem getting my bord gais account closed and deposit returned. It's a problem that seems to affect tenants when you move from your rented accommodation and try to close your account and get your deposit returned. Basically when you ring bord gais energy to close your account and give them the final meter reading they tell you they can't close the account until you have the new tenants details to sign up with them. When i spoke to their customer service people i told them i didn't know what the new tenants were going to do and i just wanted to close my account, they were adamant i couldn't do this.

I tracked down the new tenants and they agreed to take over the account but didn't, they left it in my name and have ran up bills. When i check the contract it's says i just have to contact bord gais and give them the landlords details and he will take the account during any change over period. Had i been able to do this i wouldn't be in this situation now. What bord gais seem to be doing is saying one thing in the contract and another thing entirely when you speak to them over the phone.

I've heard anecdotally of a number of people having the same problem. If this really is happening and i haven't completely misunderstood the situation (i'm quite sure i didn't) the what bord gais are doing is holding on to your deposit, so you will make sure the account will stay with bord gais and not move to another supplier.

This has to be completely illegal if it's what's happening (i'm pretty sure i haven't misread the situation!) and i wanted to post here to see if anyone else has had this problem. I also want to strongly advise people that if they wish to close a bord gais energy account they need to submit their final reading and landlord's address in writing seven days before they leave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In fairness, it's pretty standard procedure to close accounts and transfer to the landlord when leaving rented accommodation, if a new tenant is not identified.

Better suited to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

That's fair enough but i don't think you've got the gist of this. The problem is bord gais won't let people do this. When you call them to do that they try to get you to sign up the new tenants and hold your deposit. I'm over 300 quid in debt to them now because they wouldn't close my account

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It should be transferred to the landlord when you leave the property. It is then up to the landlord to assign it to the new tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

I think what daisyscience is sayin is that bord gais are trying to stop her from doing that, if that's the case it's shockin! I know when the deposits came in for these things there was all sorts of promises made and now it looks like they're being abused. I heard of something similar from a girl i work with and they had to threaten to never deal with bord gais again before their name would be taken off the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

Bord Gais said over the phone that they wouldn't accept the landlords details, they wanted the new tenants details which I didnt know. I called back to the house after I had moved out and told the new tenants to contact Bord Gais ASAP and they still havn't. Meanwhile I have a 300euro deposit on that account, the old landlord doesn't want anything to do with it, and the new tenants aren't doing anything about it either so what am I supposed to do?

I can show the date I left the old house and I have the meter readings from the day I left. Surely they can cut the gas off for all I care but I need my deposit back. I left with everything paid up to date. Its very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Bord Gais said over the phone that they wouldn't accept the landlords details, they wanted the new tenants details which I didnt know. I called back to the house after I had moved out and told the new tenants to contact Bord Gais ASAP and they still havn't. Meanwhile I have a 300euro deposit on that account, the old landlord doesn't want anything to do with it, and the new tenants aren't doing anything about it either so what am I supposed to do?

I can show the date I left the old house and I have the meter readings from the day I left. Surely they can cut the gas off for all I care but I need my deposit back. I left with everything paid up to date. Its very frustrating.

This is a disgrace.
    Ring Bord Gais back and get a manager on. Tell them you have meter readings from when you left the property and give them the landlords details.
    Don't take no for an answer.
    Let them cut off the new tenants. They are having a laugh at you because you are paying their bills.

Read this and use it.
    It gives details on how to escalate your complaint to the Commission for Energy Regulation and the National Consumer Agency if you are not happy.

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/docs/publications/codes-of-practice/G22961%20BGE%20COP%20Complaints%20Web.pdf

One thing to bear in mind. This is Bord Gais who are at fault.
    This has nothing to do with the new tenants.
    Don't let Bord Gais make you do their work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Best of luck with gettin your money back, i don't know what you can do legally but i'd suggest trying a consumer rights group or even the media. It could be hard to prove if it's going by them refusing to close your account over the phone, which is convenient for bord gais!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Zamboni wrote: »
    This is a disgrace.
    Ring Bord Gais back and get a manager on. Tell them you have meter readings from when you left the property and give them the landlords details.
    Don't take no for an answer.

<snip>....escalate your complaint to the Commission for Energy Regulation and the National Consumer Agency if you are not happy.

Absolutely, contact the CER in relation to this.

In any case due to data protection issues, technically BG should not be able to sign up a new tenant without speaking to them first. It's fair enough if they simply want new occupier contact details but it's not your fault if the new tenants are too lazy to take action

Is it possible to close your account online with BG?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

I'm having the same problem with Bord Gais, (they don't have a deposit from me), but I recently moved house and they won't close my account at the old address until the Landlord rings them!! I have given them my meter readings from the old address, there are no new tenants moving in as the house is up for sale. I gave them Landlords name and contact details but they still won't close my account.....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blue.jester

OP I recently moved out of rented accommodation and had been told by el Gas people that I would need the tenants or the landlord to take it over. While I wasn't sure if new people were moving in I went with the landlord option, but he was being an ass and cancelled a number of meetings in our final week (still trying to get the deposit back from him nearly a month on but that's another rant). Anyway I told them to lock the account after giving a final meter reading. I gave the landlord enough warning that he had to contact them before a certain date and take it over or it would cost him 140 to unlock and he never bothered, but I am now no longer on that account and the unlock fee is somebody else problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement