Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think i still have a RAT

• 21-02-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys a few months ago i noticed strange things on my computer like BSOD and It using about 10% Network on idle and stuff...Avg never found anything but i tried avast and that found a JAVA trojan backdoor i know these are used to install rats on the computer so i cleaned it off the pc but the next day i Formatted the hardrive and reinstalled windows Via a Restore disk i had from the day i got this PC.But i want to know is there any way it could have survived the Avg isnt finding anything so i think im clean any advice? ---There has been no signs of a virus at all but i just want to make sure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you did a full format and a clean install then I would imagine it would have to be unbelievably sophisticated to avoid the format and infiltrate itself into the installer which is probably not on a rewritable CD.

As far as network use is concerned you probably have numerous services running in the background checking for updates e.g. Windows, anti-virus, java, adobe etc. not to mention the software for any device whose name begins with i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

okay thanks just wanted to be sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

No problem.

With any tricky virus or root kit the quickest and most efficient way of being absolutely sure of removing it is a full format and reinstall.

That's why I never store any user data on the OS partition.

I can't understand why anyone would use any system folder starting with 'My' to store data, as a reinstall invariable overwrites those folders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Digy123 wrote: »
    .But i want to know is there any way it could have survived

An MBR virus will actually survive a normal format/reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

when doing a format on the hard drive you should Zero the disk first and then partition the disk..

• Advertisement
Advertisement