Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thermodurics

• 21-02-2012 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

just got my scc sorted and now its thermodurics, tbc was 15 , which is ok, did 3 tests lat week, one from beside milk pump, one from milk going in to bulk tank and 1 from the tank, they where all high... milking machine man was out yesterday, liners and rubbers are fine, checked valves etc at milk pump... if its not one thing its another:mad: i really dont understand thermodurics can some one explain so i can try and fix it,,, at least with tbc you can look for something

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Thermodurics are bacteria that are resistant to pasteurisation.

My last test was 180 for thermodurics which was a decrease on the previous test.
    I know what you mean with TBC and SCC, one knows what to do, for thermodurics, I googled and came across this article -

http://www.independent.ie/farming/dairy/the-heatresisting-bacteria-1388056.html

I wish you all the best as you say yourself, if it isn't one thing its another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

whelan1 wrote: »
    just got my scc sorted and now its thermodurics, tbc was 15 , which is ok, did 3 tests lat week, one from beside milk pump, one from milk going in to bulk tank and 1 from the tank, they where all high... milking machine man was out yesterday, liners and rubbers are fine, checked valves etc at milk pump... if its not one thing its another:mad: i really dont understand thermodurics can some one explain so i can try and fix it,,, at least with tbc you can look for something

wel feck that , i wonder if u could get the cows out for a few hours would it help as i think its a wee bit too mild for this time of year . from reading the above article this could be hard to get on top of as there is so many things to look at , hope ur sitiuation improves quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

The goalposts change every year, makes life difficult for us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Are you getting fined for it whelan1? We just get notified what ours is but not fined. I know lads getting TBCs of 20 and Thermodurics of over 3000 but again they dont do anything unless a fine comes in.

Plenty of hot washes and run something like 'serpent'(?)(cant think of the name but no chlorine residueas it breaks down to water and oxygen) through with the rinse water to sanitise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ye get fined if its over 900 afaik, dairy man said descale would do nothing for it:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

ye get fined if its over 900 afaik, dairy man said descale would do nothing for it:mad:

Indeed..
    However a plant that has a scale problem can have a bacteria problem as there are more "hidden" breeding grounds for bacteria within the scale.. Not saying you have a scale problem just that there is a correlation between the two..

What's the hot wash routine like.. Are you dumping enough of the first return of the hot wash?? Also do you do a hot wash other than for descale purposes??

Like a previous thread with a TBC problem I'd be looking at the line above the receiver over to the sanitary jar..

hot wash every day, descale once a week on a thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Well whelan your having fair Probs must be driving ya mad!!

Anyway sometimes we have thermodyric prob. This is the routine when it hits and is now becoming routine every two weeks or so to prevent it. We have gmb claw pieces (the yellow glass ones) even with loads of washing they build up residue in them so we strip them n clean them out and clean seals with water n rinse, second we strip line linking sanitary trap n clean well along with the trap itself, then put all back together n hot wash. This hasn't failed yet. Also if you leave the acid rinse in machine overnight and rinse out in the morning it's a great job!!

Hope this helps

hot wash every day, descale once a week on a thursday

That's a top routine... very frustrating to have problems so.

As I said, ensure you dump plenty of the first return water as it will have gone cold on the cold steel...
    Look at the line from receiver to sanitary jar, it can be dire...

As previous poster said look into claws as they can develop a scum but I'd be surprised with so many hot washes... Do check the air bleeds in the claws as this really helps washing, but if there was a problem with them you'd see alot of milk lost when removing clusters..

Happy cleaning ;)

on monday milking machine man , replaced 8 of the cluster tops, i took the taps off the bottom of the jars- alfa laval ones - and scrubbed them yesterday, just need a break from failing tests:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Did u check plate cooler

milkprofit wrote: »
    Did u check plate cooler
    Probably no need...
    If it's already high at the receiver jar the problem has to be at or before that...

milkprofit wrote: »
    Did u check plate cooler
    we have to do in plate cooler every 2 weeks during the winter as the sawdust blocks it:mad: did it on a sunday last time with a hangover

5live wrote: »
    Are you getting fined for it whelan1? We just get notified what ours is but not fined. I know lads getting TBCs of 20 and Thermodurics of over 3000 but again they dont do anything unless a fine comes in.

Plenty of hot washes and run something like 'serpent'(?)(cant think of the name but no chlorine residueas it breaks down to water and oxygen) through with the rinse water to sanitise
    Peracetic acid:o.

It might help a bit

we have to do in plate cooler every 2 weeks during the winter as the sawdust blocks it:mad: did it on a sunday last time with a hangover
    Is your online filter not before the plate cooler. Best practice dictates it to be installed before the cooler for that reason. I wouldn't like opening a plate cooler that often as you'll end up unseating the gaskets and leaking milk, or worse overtightening which risks splitting a plate and mixing water into the milk.

bbam wrote: »
    Is your online filter not before the plate cooler. Best practice dictates it to be installed before the cooler for that reason. I wouldn't like opening a plate cooler that often as you'll end up unseating the gaskets and leaking milk, or worse overtightening which risks splitting a plate and mixing water into the milk.
    Good point bbam. Maybe she removes the filter before washing? I know i got a bo**oking at a DEP meeting last year for leaving the filter in for washing but i cannot imagine washing without a filter in:confused:

5live wrote: »
    Good point bbam. Maybe she removes the filter before washing? I know i got a bo**oking at a DEP meeting last year for leaving the filter in for washing but i cannot imagine washing without a filter in:confused:

I'd always have advised removing it for washing too...
    No point in washing through a dirty sock and it allows a better flow which helps... You won't get straw or sawdust entering during the wash cycle..

sock comes out for washing,take it out after first rinse, always little tiny bits of sawdust that get stuck in the bleed hole of the in plate cooler

in saying that since i started pre dipping the cows i havent had to do the in plate cooler in a while- famous last words:o

bloody thermoduric still high, milking machine man took the plant apart today... all spotless... he cant see where the problemis at all... annoying me now, last test was over 5000:eek: tbc was 12

• Advertisement

bloody thermoduric still high, milking machine man took the plant apart today... all spotless... he cant see where the problemis at all... annoying me now, last test was over 5000:eek: tbc was 12
    Are the tails clipped/udders anyway dirty at all? Was talking to a co-op rep earlier in the week and he said the thermodurics were high because of the soil being smeared on the teats when land is wet and puddles splashing on the tears when cows walking to the yard. Iirc you wash and dry so probably not the problem

tails where all docked until a few years ago:rolleyes: really hate long tails , i cut tails with a scissors all the time, if i am waiting on a cow to milk etc.... yup i pre dip and wipe... the biggest pain is how long it takes for the results to come back, also they only test them on a monday, tuesday and a thursday:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Change all rubber pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

did he take the platecooler apart aswell?

PMU wrote: »
    did he take the platecooler apart aswell?
    platecooler is opened regular due to sawdust blocking the bleed hole.... he checked the liners and said they are fine... i have a 15 unit parlour milking under 100 all winter and the liners and pulse tubes where chaged before xmas and have recently been pulled out on to second notch on liners

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

hows the tank. i had to climb into mine with the powerhose last year because of white spots the washer wasnt shifting

we have a crappy davey washer , i dont rely on it so tank gets a major wash once a week just a powerhose out on the other collections... hate those white blobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Might be worth your while get an independent test done and see if the results match the co op results.

How about milk tubes from claw to jar? By the frequency of your hot wash routine it would be fierce hard on rubber.
    Also I remember you saying you have an older alfa plant. How about the elbows under the jars and the milk transfer tubes from these to the milk line?
    Electric or diaphragm pump? Diaphragms can get pretty mank too.

• Advertisement

we changed the big milk tubes about a month ago, it was the first thing we did when the thermo got high... milking machine man checked the pump... just peeved off now.... changed a good few of the glass bowls on top of clusters also... i wont get a therm result until nest saturday, which in itself is a total joke

we changed the big milk tubes about a month ago, it was the first thing we did when the thermo got high... milking machine man checked the pump... just peeved off now.... changed a good few of the glass bowls on top of clusters also... i wont get a therm result until nest saturday, which in itself is a total joke

Wow, ye have spent a few quid on this problem already !!
    Is all your water fresh, ie direct from supply or is there a storage tank.. I've seen this cause a tbc problem after mice fell into the water tank..

Damn frustrating, particularly with the wait for results..

now in the back of my mind there could be a reason.... our water pump packed up last sunday, we lifted it and it was blocked with iron... it is only down around 4 years... tbc is fine, would this affect thermo? pump back working 100%

Did you get sorted with the thermodurics whelan1?

down to 180;) touch wood all sorted

Great stuff. Do you reckon it was the water so

• Advertisement

who knows:rolleyes:

Advertisement