Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFSC Apartments - OK places to live?

• 21-02-2012 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello Boards,
    Long time lurker, first time poster here.

It's looking like I may find a job in the IFSC in the near future and I'm looking at my options in terms of accommodation. I don't drive, so ideally I'd be looking to rent an apartment within walking distance. As it happens, there are plenty of modern apartment complexes in the IFSC along with the office buildings. So I was wondering, does anyone know what it's like living there?
    • The rents in the area are clearly on the high side, but are they decent value?
    • I lived in Dublin until 2010, so I'm not really up-to-date, but last time I walked through the IFSC, it felt like a bit of a ghost town. Is that true today?
    • Also, is there a good run of shops in the area these days? I only remember a smallish spar outside Connolly Station near the vaults bar.
    • Lastly, and with all due respect to the upstanding people of the north inner city, I recall a large amount of drug sale/use on Amiens St. and the boardwalk, and I'm aware that Sheriff St. has a reputation of lawlessness about it.
      So how much does that affect life in the IFSC? How safe is it to walk at night, etc?
      There's an old thread in here about regular break-ins, but I'd like more current information.
    Thanks in advance for any information you may have. I'll be offline until Friday evening, so if I'm not replying it's not that I'm ignoring you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I lived in spencer dock for 4 years. 24 hour security, concierge the lot. Apartments are actually renting for less than what's on daft.

Weekends it's a ghost town alright but sure 10 mins on the Lucas ar a 20 min walk and your at college green.

Around custom house square there is 2 gyms a marks and spencer, couple of restaurants and a barbers. Not a lot to do around there but there's the whole of Dublin for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dack

Thanks cronin_j.
    Out of curiosity, would you say there are many empty units in the area?
    Last I was around two years ago, it didn't look like the occupancy rate was too high, but looking on daft I don't see that many adverts, so maybe there are people who live there.
    Anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Dack wrote: »
    Thanks cronin_j.
    Out of curiosity, would you say there are many empty units in the area?
    Last I was around two years ago, it didn't look like the occupancy rate was too high, but looking on daft I don't see that many adverts, so maybe there are people who live there.
    Anyway, thanks.

wondering this myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, I have lived in the IFSC since last June. I lived in a tiny one bedroom apt June-mid August. I moved into a bigger apt in the same development in September. I'll post my pros and cons tomorrow of living in the area when I've had a good think.

Out of curiosity, I just checked out the IFSC listings on Daft to see how many there were. I was shocked to see how few apts there were listed. When I was apt hunting last summer, there were typically about 50-60 IFSC listings on Daft. Now there are just 20. If anyone has any ideas as to why I'd be very curious to know too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    there were typically about 50-60 IFSC listings on Daft. Now there are just 20. If anyone has any ideas as to why I'd be very curious to know too.

They've been rented out to social welfare recipients..if you dont have a problem with this then go ahead but if you want to look up "crosbies yard" and a few other places you will see a dramatic rise in noise and anti-social behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

i am in customs house harbour behind Connolly...Its probably the nicest of apartments block but older...It is very quiet and safe..
    Further down around Mayor Square and noise levels can be high, a lot of local children gather around the square and shops and can be an awful nuisance in the evening..
    Yes it is quiet at weekends but shur its a quick walk/Luas ride into town...i never get taxis or buses anywhere, the Dart is great..I save so much money on public transport..Haggle with landlord, i am getting a lovely 2-bed for 1000 including parking space..Its unheard of at the moment, well if you look at Daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I've been living down in Castleforbes for the last 2 years and i love the place.

Yes It's quiet at the weekends but you can walk into town in 10/15mins plus you also have the luas at your door step.

Area is fine and safe as well IMO.

Castleforbes is cheaper then Spenser Dock as well, but is a little extra wlk into the IFSC for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

CucaFace wrote: »
    I've been living down in Castleforbes for the last 2 years and i love the place.

Yes It's quiet at the weekends but you can walk into town in 10/15mins plus you also have the luas at your door step.

Area is fine and safe as well IMO.

Castleforbes is cheaper then Spenser Dock as well, but is a little extra wlk into the IFSC for work.
    I too live in Castleforbes, it's a handy spot tbh. Average 2 bed in Spencer Dock is €1300 in Castleforbes its €1000, although Spencer Dock is better quality and more secured Castleforbes is a good spot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I'm in Spencer Dock at the moment, 2 bed 1 bath €1175 per month, lovely place as mentioned in an earlier post, 24 hour security and concierge from 7am - 10pm. I'm not sure of occupancy, I can tell some of the penthouses are empty just from looking up (and coveting!!!) but the rest of the development is pretty full, there are 3 other apartments on my landing and all are full, I'm always seeing people in the halls, lifts and gardens. The place is maintained very well, as I type they are repainting the hallways in my building.

The area is nice, you'll get kids hanging around and playing ball in Mayor Square but you would probably get this in most estates in Ireland. There's couple of bars and restaurants, some don't open at weekends some do. It's true to say it's quiet at the weekends but it's not as dead as it was when I moved here in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Is there any more building going on in spencer dock? I read that 2 weeks ago planning was granted for a new office block to be built with a tenant already.signed. Plus the urban market is due open in march or april. Im sure when the cinema opens in march in the point vilage the area will get busier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

liffeylite wrote: »
    Is there any more building going on in spencer dock? I read that 2 weeks ago planning was granted for a new office block to be built with a tenant already.signed. Plus the urban market is due open in march or april. Im sure when the cinema opens in march in the point vilage the area will get busier.

I do remember Facebook were planning to relocate to Spencer Dock from their current location due to larger office space and a growing number of employees. I think they might be the tenants in the new building. I got that information about a year ago now though so good chance it may be out of date.

I do remember Facebook were planning to relocate to Spencer Dock from their current location due to larger office space and a growing number of employees. I think they might be the tenants in the new building. I got that information about a year ago now though so good chance it may be out of date.

I never heard about any new office block being built.

And to be honest id be shocked if they did as the area is full of un occupied office blocks.

Unless it is the unfinished Anglo head Quarters which is due to be finished (Thankfully) at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

im working at grand canal dock beside barrow street i do a daily commute looking to move up does anyone have a spare room? iv seen all lovely places but there all 2 bedroom apartments thing is i dont know anyone to move up with or who would pay the price

looking forward to hearing from ye

CucaFace wrote: »
    I never heard about any new office block being built.

And to be honest id be shocked if they did as the area is full of un occupied office blocks.

Unless it is the unfinished Anglo head Quarters which is due to be finished (Thankfully) at some stage.

Are many unoccupied? The ifsc is at its highest occupancy rate, so there cant be any empty units there. Also spencer dock seems to be pretty occupied, although it isnt fully complete yet. Dont think any of the retai units are occupied though?

It wasnt an application for the anglo building, that is on the verge of being sold but this was a brand new application.

There are numerous big multinationals looking for spafe in dublin, but they all cite a dearth of building in the cbd. D1,2 and 4.

There is work going on right next door to the Spencer Dock Apartments, it seems to be in the early stages, just drilling etc... There are a few empty office spaces here and there, nothing I have noticed that would be big enough for FB. Loads of empty retail space.

I'm not so sure the urban market is going to reopen... there seems to be no work happening on the cinema either...

Apparently the urban market is delayed due to nama and treasury holding issue, but it is due open in april or may at the latest. Im sure i read the cinema is already built, but i dont get quite where it could be.

Are any of the spencer dock retail units open yet?

Apparently the urban market is delayed due to nama and treasury holding issue, but it is due open in april or may at the latest. Im sure i read the cinema is already built, but i dont get quite where it could be.

The cinema is supposed to be in the same building as The Gibson Hotel, I just don't see any movement that would suggest a cinema was being fitted out inside, maybe it's all done already but I doubt it, no sign of Dunnes doing anything even though there's a court order forcing them to open.

Fingers crossed on the Urban Market, it was quirky and I loved the building, it was a nice addition, I hope they make a success of it.

Nothing in the retail units as yet other than a few temporary art galleries that have gone now. I'd love to see them filled, it would give the area more character! I was hoping for a Superquinn similar to HSQ. Who knows if they'll ever be filled?

Lollymcd wrote: »
    The cinema is supposed to be in the same building as The Gibson Hotel, I just don't see any movement that would suggest a cinema was being fitted out inside, maybe it's all done already but I doubt it, no sign of Dunnes doing anything even though there's a court order forcing them to open.

Fingers crossed on the Urban Market, it was quirky and I loved the building, it was a nice addition, I hope they make a success of it.

Nothing in the retail units as yet other than a few temporary art galleries that have gone now. I'd love to see them filled, it would give the area more character! I was hoping for a Superquinn similar to HSQ. Who knows if they'll ever be filled?

The cinema is opening in a few weeks. I asked them directly, all the work is inside the building so you should see the exterior signage going up in the next week i would thini :-)

The cinema is opening in a few weeks. I asked them directly, all the work is inside the building so you should see the exterior signage going up in the next week i would thini :-)

Good news liffeylite, hopefully it will attract other retailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Really looking forward to the cinema opening! only learnt of this today!

I live in custom house harbour and have been since august last, 2 of us sharing a 2 bed apartment for €1000 a month and we love it.

It takes no time at all to walk to grafton street or henry street and you have the luas and dart on your doorstep.

you do notice how quiet it gets at the weekends but personally I like that. During the week it is all hustle and bustle and the place is buzzing but its a different place at the weekend, much more relaxed and chilled out.

can't wait for summer now, the area is always really nice in the good weather!

on the negative side there are kids that mess and vandalise from time to time. Usually harmless but can be a bit of a nuisance - getting into the complex and into the buildings - but security is top notch!

What is this urban market?

I've never heard of it. :(

http://www.spencerdock.ie/events/christmas_urban_market

It was launched temporarily coming up to Christmas and hopefully will return. One of the waiters from RTÉ's THe Restaurant is involved/promoting it/running it

I really dont think there's ever going to be much vibrancy in that area,despite markets or eagerly-anticipated cinemas.

Its simply too far out of the way for the city centre and completely souless and empty...the failure of Harry's Hoop should demonstrate this point quite well.

Degsy wrote: »
    the failure of Harry's Hoop should demonstrate this point quite well.

Wasn't always supposed to be temporary?

I agree, it will take a lot to get any vibrancy in the area, perhaps unlikely but I can still hope!

Wasn't always supposed to be temporary?

I agree, it will take a lot to get any vibrancy in the area, perhaps unlikely but I can still hope!

Its very much a Celtic Tiger idea..luxury development in a rundown area and lots of pllans for high-end retailers,yuppie markets and organic-feta-hummus-wraps with goats's cheese.

Degsy wrote: »
    Its very much a Celtic Tiger idea..luxury development in a rundown area and lots of pllans for high-end retailers,yuppie markets and organic-feta-hummus-wraps with goats's cheese.

In order to get vibrancy you need footfall. In order to get footfall you need...well, generally retail! But it has to be retail that attracts to the masses, so as you say, posh food markets wont swell the place :-) it will never be an urban village like ranelagh, rathmines, stoneybatter etc as it has no main street or character. But it can be busy with the right amenities. The cinema is a step in the right direction and if it has imax it will pull the punters in in droves as nowhere else has it!
    It does need the shopping centre though..a supermarket decent shops etc would bring it to life. I personally think a discount outlet like kildare village would be perfect. The luas makes it accesible and the location adjoins the city centre. Its always possible to stretch.the city centre, you just have to attract the crowds. Imagine if you picked up the dundrum centre and then put it in the point village. The place would be busier than it is now due to proximity to city centre. Same as what happened with liverpool one. They stretched the city centre by building a large complex adjoining the traditional city centre. It can be done :-)

Anyone know what the new construction site at spencer dock is?

Anyone know what the new construction site at spencer dock is?

Apparently they are putting in a pumping station to deal with sewage from the apartments and offices at Spencer Dock and also the Convention Centre. Up to now they were connected to the mains supply but Dublin City Council are unhappy with that. It's work that was supposed to be completed a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Live in the south docks - better restaurants and vibrancy - and walk over across the Beckett Bridge in the mornings. The IFSC itself is still awful. I wonder if the Sheriff Street kids are still stoning the apartment blocks, that used to be their Saturday afternoon fun.

As for the office block, yes one has just got planning but it's not for Facebook which is looking at Ulster Bank HQ, ex-BoI HQ and another office block on south docks. It's BNY Mellon that are interested in it but it's looking at other sites too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Odeon Cinemas will be opening in Point village from 27th March
    http://www.odeoncinemas.ie/fanatic/about_us/ :)

Advertisement