Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THURSDAY casuals xgc 23/2/12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

The Hound wrote: »
    clearly you took my money

are you questioning my integrity? is that the road you wanna go down? i left the money on the table, end of, you're responsible or whoever is in charge of the money on the day to make sure whoever rents out consoles get money back. I'm just trying to help, take your bitch fit else where

oh and what else could he have done to not be more clear, it wasn't as if he was in some dark corner playing ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    are you questioning my integrity? is that the road you wanna go down? i left the money on the table, end of, you're responsible or whoever is in charge of the money on the day to make sure whoever rents out consoles get money back. I'm just trying to help, take your bitch fit else where
    I'm the one owed 20. It wasnt a bitch fit til you said clearly there was 4 set ups. I didnt see the 4th guy come in and play at all. I had no idea about it.

oh and what else could he have done to not be more clear, it wasn't as if he was in some dark corner playing ffs
    I was playing with my back turned to that side and then I went for food and sat watching that set up. Honestly I didnt see him and anyway I heard he payed for his own console

fair enough, get your money back at the next casuals. I didn't take your money, not the type of person.

• Advertisement

fair enough, get your money back at the next casuals. I didn't take your money, not the type of person.
    You picked up the card, the card is worth 20 quid. My mistake for not pocketing the card

Edit: If everyone payed at casuals, then who has the money

The Hound wrote: »
    You picked up the card, the card is worth 20 quid. My mistake for not pocketing the card

Ha okay

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Closing an xbox rented out by someone else is not a good idea, then not guaranteeing that the money you got back went straight into the hand of the person who put down the deposit was kinda thoughtless.

Obviously **** happens and nobody was tryna cheat nyone, stupid position to put yourself in tho jun.

I agree, my thought process was that there too many consoles for the very few amount of people that were there and there was no one playing on that setup. Had asked beforehand should i cash out the empty console to save money. never thought i'd get accused of stealing money, then again you meet all sorts of people. never touching that EVER again

I agree, my thought process was that there too many consoles for the very few amount of people that were there and there was no one playing on that setup. Had asked beforehand should i cash out the empty console to save money. never thought i'd get accused of stealing money, then again you meet all sorts of people. never touching that EVER again
    You're not being accused. Its grand, we'll figure it out anyway. I just payed 25 quid for casuals today. Imagine how I feel. Nutrient said he has €13 belongst to me. I'm still owed another €7 then.
    Casuals cost me €25 tonight confused.gif

• Advertisement

Look at it like this.

When you went down to get the deposit, you should have returned with €20 and not 13. Think of it as your deposit. You would have wanted you're 20 back if you already payed for casuals.

I'm dragging this out now. f it

is this your first time renting out a console? if so then usually you'd pay for casuals with your deposit so you'd get 15 euro back, i didn't know you paid a 5er already. your man took the money from the card so it was 7 euro for the console, or that's the way we've done it so far

is this your first time renting out a console? if so then usually you'd pay for casuals with your deposit so you'd get 15 euro back, i didn't know you paid a 5er already. your man took the money from the card so it was 7 euro for the console
    No. I've rented out consoles before. Ye but you sorted out my deposit, lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just to avoid confusion about console 19. Darachnid arrived late just as I was about to leave. The gf said we could hang for another hour so we decided to get another Xbox for an hour separate from casuals. We covered the price of the hour ourselves (2.50 each) but couldn't get the machine working.

I was there for 3 hours and paid €5 (separate from console 19). I thought that was the rate.

I'll happily throw in another fiver to cover more costs. It's not fair for one person to be out so much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Darachnid

Cheers FG. Yeah, I paid myself along with your 2.50. Cheers for that, you shouldn't have paid though seen as you only had one game of super on 19. I got it working with AE after you left, it needed to have the super/Ae update downloaded to the console cos AE had never been played on it before. There were a few reasons for me renting out 19: FG was leaving and I wanted to play a quick game or two with him before he left. Also I didn't want to be waiting around for ages to play which sometimes happens, and I had money to pay for a console myself. Which I did, cost me 4quid in the end, and I got more games in than I ever did at casuals before. Sorted. Signed: some Blanka player. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Granted I haven't been to casuals in a good while but I have said it before, it's seriously insane if people are staying from like 2 till 11 and only paying a fiver. That's nuts and leads to massive costs for everyone involved. This leads to the situation I saw at my last casuals where there was like 30 people and about 4 consoles. Not fun and completely counter-productive to casuals which is meant to be everyone gettings lots of offline games.

The fiver rule came from way back when we would be in XGC for approximately 4-5 hours and in Pravda at 6 o'clock on the button. The five euro cost at it's optimum paid for two people on one console for four hours. This is your ultimate goal. People leaving a little early would pay for people staying a little late. It also meant that there was generally a little bit left over to build up the community fund.

You can't keep using a cost rule that wasn't designed for the situation in hand. Jesus if I come in for 2 hours I'm going to be paying a fiver and from my recent experience I might get **** all games in that time, especially if it's during a busy period. Yet that's the same cost as someone that's been there for maybe 9 hours and got loads of games because they were there for that hour or two at the beginnin and end when it's quiet.

This **** goes against and actively ruins the community spirit. We can see this when people are having to pay extra, money starts to go missing and people would rather get their console. This is ****ing stupid. That stuff should not be be happening in any way and it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths (Everything seems settled now but there's always going to be a lingering sourness with people imo. Hell I wasn't there or involved and I'm pissed about this) People need to step up and pay what's fair. Can people honestly tell me that they felt a fiver for being there for 8 hours was a fair price?

I remember at an event I ended up paying a little extra to cover costs. I mentioned it to somebody in a passing fashion and within a half hour or so a load of people came up with an extra fiver and sorted me out. This was an event that was supposed to be free for them anyway. Hell John Madden (That his name? "I got this old stick? It's a Namco") was at his first free event and paid both the fiver we asked from the old hands and an extra fiver so I wouldn't be short. **** like this makes me feel like that wouldn't happen anymore.

Seriously this isn't directed at anyone but I'm just worried about us getting twisted by this bull**** like every other gaming organisation/community out there.

EDIT : Further thought but I'm saying this in part because I'm still around. Until Dreddys stream I'd hardly played a fighting game since september or so. But I still log onto IRC, I still read the forum, I'll still try to go to tournaments and casuals (with that lack of inclination to play) because of the good vibes in this community. I really just don't want to see this all go down the pan or descend into more issues like this thread.

I normally stay for about two hours and get six games in. This costs me a fiver. The unspoken rule of three games then you're off for the next person to play seems to only apply for Blanka players. I was considering staying at home yesterday at playing Xbox live instead. But I don't want that. I like playing the lads in xgc, renting my own console worked out fine, and the moans about too many consoles rented didn't seem to apply for number 19. At not one stage was I left playing on my own. Maybe we should all pay for matches? 20c per game, into a jar beside the console. Haha, we'd soon see people standing up. Endless salty runbacks begone.

Bringing back the pints might also help the vibe, after all matches finished of course. Imagine the carnage playing p1ssed fighter 4, angry drunk edition. I wouldn't be trapped in a corner being scissors kicked to death for long. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Darachnid wrote: »
    The unspoken rule of three games then you're off for the next person to play seems to only apply for Blanka players.

I sympathise, sometimes it's hard to get people off machines.

A good rule to actually speak aloud is "Northern rules", which as far as I know are:

- Winner stays on
    - A set is three games, whoever won the best out of three stays, but you still do all three games
    - If the Winner wins two sets in a row, he leaves, so the next two people waiting get to rotate in

You can get a really nice sets going if people adhere to this.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Wish it was proper 1995 arcade style, you loose 1 game your off and rotated to the back of the queue, you win you stay on simple as. Queue costs 20 cent to enter :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lads, just ask. Don't be shy. Just wait till a round is over and say "can I play the winner?" Nobody will bite you. However pure winner stays on is a bad idea as less skilled players are discouraged from coming and thats not what casuals should be about. Even if you are winning, by your third or fourth opponent you should be vacating the chair.

Regarding the money, I wasn't there but that sounds really messy and I feel bad for Hound. I don't come to many casuals any more and usually just give a fiver to somebody as I leave. Next time I'll give a tenner. I'd rather overpay than leave somebody short.

Perhaps a fiver for anything under 3 hours and a tenner for anything more would help alleviate matters. People just want to have fun and eliminating money headaches is better for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

How much of an increase are we talking?

I know that people should be paying more if they're gonna stay for the majority of the day but I spend 14 euro already just coming to dublin and more on casuals and possibly food. I probably would be a bit put off coming now if the price is going to increase.

I'm not trying to be an exception but if the price increase is only a few euros, then I don't mind

Fiver for approximately every 4 hours you are there is probably the easiest system. Honour system style.

It also sounds like people need to take charge as well. Cards and money being left around sounds like a disaster. Remember it's not just us, there's other punters there and we've random scum wander in as well. Like this situation has resolved itself quite well but what some random COD was walking by and picked up the card and cashed it out for the best part of a deposit, which could be €50 if someone was short changed when renting a console.

Alternatively as Azza said, one console, winner stays on and Money Down!

It works for pool tables. Money down, wait your turn. Same with the old sf2 arcade machine rules. 'cept for that one time in Quirkys when that scumbag took my £1 off the glass and I had to get a bouncer to hold him while I sucker punched him and then I ran out the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

How much does it cost to rent a console anyway? Aside from the deposit that is. What's the actual rate?

Darachnid wrote: »
    It works for pool tables. Money down, wait your turn. Same with the old sf2 arcade machine rules. 'cept for that one time in Quirkys when that scumbag took my £1 off the glass and I had to get a bouncer to hold him while I sucker punched him and then I ran out the back door.

Money down won't work based on the rental systems but it would be good for a larf.
    Konata wrote: »
    How much does it cost to rent a console anyway? Aside from the deposit that is. What's the actual rate?

€2.50 an hour

To lighten the mood, I blame the greeks. Fecking Greeks (someone link the video :pac:)

I'm going to rent 19 again next week and charge people to play me. Reckon i'll clean up. Not.

Greeks? I blame the Romans.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Could rent 2 consoles and have 1 for the lesser skilled players, if they would prefer a set up like that. If they fancy their chances they can queue up on the machine with the better players.

You can only queue on 1 machine at the time. Stick the game on arcade mode, winner stays on, with same character. The winner is allowed voluntarily step down.

Currently we are all paying €5.00 for casuals. Spending that much with the money down system would mean you get to play at least 50 games, even if you lost them all. (Granted with queuing you probably won’t get to play that many, but you end up paying less then).
    Better players would end up paying less for casuals, but you could look at that as a reward for being good at the game and as incentive to get better.
    Be closer to a real arcade experience. Each game there is something on the line (saving 20 cent but more importantly time saved not having to queue).
    The major drawback as I see it though is that there would be a lot of time lost spent changing controllers.

Need 1 person to take charge of the money and sort it all out in the end. Anything left over goes to the community. If people wanted to try at the next casuals, I’ll volunteer to organise that part of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

How is Hound going to get his money back? It's total BS that casuals cost him 25. Hound paid 10er for the 2 of us so Ben2Gen could get some of his deposit back even though he had a machine.

I remember seeing Jun put away (Hounds?) machine. He came back with the change and put it down. Was 13.50 iirc. That doesn't mean somebody else couldn't have taken it. I just remember Jun putting the money down, not what happened to it.

What time did people start at? If you really were there 10 hours (1.30 - 11.30) and bearing in mind that consoles are 2.50 an hour maybe you should pay a little more than a 5er.

What has been happening with the left over money at casuals? We only ever hear about it when people are down money but when there's extra left over not a word is said.

If anyone forgot to pay yesterday please post up so you can give Hound a 5er next time.

As a side note, lads who are more used to casuals have to be more catering to new people. I made a stink about it last time Darachnid (or maybe someone else) came to casuals and got like no games. It's annoying cus I looked like the dick head when really its the lad who sits on Console A for 45 mins and once they're off it they are on console B within 2 mins with a bunch of others sitting around clearly waiting for games. Drives me nuts cus some people think that's ok. It usually is fine but when there's a new lad who doesn't know anybody or how this works, just be sound ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Azza wrote: »
    Could rent 2 consoles and have 1 for the lesser skilled players, if they would prefer a set up like that. If they fancy their chances they can queue up on the machine with the better players.

So you're suggesting that bad players need to either:

(1) Play other bad players, and not get better
    (2) Spend most of a casual session waiting, and occasionally getting beasted

This seems like a good way to have negative community growth.

Also I dunno what arcade you're going to that lets you play games for 10c a credit, but can you please give me their address :P

Advertisement