Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THURSDAY casuals xgc 23/2/12

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Doyler01 wrote: »
    How is Hound going to get his money back? It's total BS that casuals cost him 25. Hound paid 10er for the 2 of us so Ben2Gen could get some of his deposit back even though he had a machine.

I remember seeing Jun put away (Hounds?) machine. He came back with the change and put it down. Was 13.50 iirc. That doesn't mean somebody else couldn't have taken it. I just remember Jun putting the money down, not what happened to it.

What time did people start at? If you really were there 10 hours (1.30 - 11.30) and bearing in mind that consoles are 2.50 an hour maybe you should pay a little more than a 5er.

What has been happening with the left over money at casuals? We only ever hear about it when people are down money but when there's extra left over not a word is said.

If anyone forgot to pay yesterday please post up so you can give Hound a 5er next time.

As a side note, lads who are more used to casuals have to be more catering to new people. I made a stink about it last time Darachnid (or maybe someone else) came to casuals and got like no games. It's annoying cus I looked like the dick head when really its the lad who sits on Console A for 45 mins and once they're off it they are on console B within 2 mins with a bunch of others sitting around clearly waiting for games. Drives me nuts cus some people think that's ok. It usually is fine but when there's a new lad who doesn't know anybody or how this works, just be sound ffs.

I agree
    The best of 3 rule should be applyed at all times.

If we're going to play there as a community then we all have to know whats going on and how many consoles are actually rented out, Hound didn't even know if we had 2 or 3 setups on the other side of the room.

3 sets up were gotten because as Darachnid said he didn't get many games in which is BS really, people know how long they have been on a setup, if you've been sitting there for more then an hour and theres people that wanna play please, gtfo the machine cause it's not fair, just because somebody doesn't say they wanna play is not an excuse to not ask at the end of a match "Anyone wanna play?"

As for the deposit on 17, why didn't people ask who took out the machine?

The person who took out the machine should bring it back to avoid their money being fooled with or at least they should be informed.

I think that we should never have a setup out longer then the deposit put down which is €20 which comes up to 8 hours(2.50 x 1h).

Money thats left over (I handle most of the time) is used to pay out machines that have been out much longer then 8 hours E.g 1.00pm to 11pm
    I'll accept responsiblity on late fees on the console I rent out before 3.00 because I am usually there earlier so to a degree, these fees are my fault and I really REALLY hate to see people get messed over from me attending earlier then they did.

• Wanna play speak up
    • Check with everybody that its okay to get another console
    • Pay your wa
    • Be considerate of new players
    It's crazy that everyone can't just attend and have loads of fun at casuals without losing money or paying €5 for 2 games.

Hound will get his money back from whats leftover next casuals and this won't happen again.

Sorry for the rant:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Darachnid

I've always gotten a go, I just don't like interrupting. Anyway feck it, not important. I'd be up for 20c a game, five for a euro. There's no way you'd get 50+ games for a fiver, you'd get 25 loses. Money would build up definitely. Winner staying on and paying nothing would be frustrating as feck... But that's the way it'd be, it'd give challengers incentive to knock the leader off. And the quick rotation would mean that two skilled players would play often with a good chance of either one getting knocked off. Extra money would be saved at the end for Inferno place rental, extra prize money, outings to the zoo etc... And the only people who go home empty pocketed are the noobs Yay!

Button checks would be a pain alright though, but people would mainly pay for groups of 5 games anyway.

Still, can't see it working... When people can currently pay a fiver for a whole day. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Darachnid wrote: »
    I've always gotten a go, I just don't like interrupting. Anyway feck it, not important. I'd be up for 20c a game, five for a euro. There's no way you'd get 50+ games for a fiver, you'd get 25 loses. Money would build up definitely. Winner staying on and paying nothing would be frustrating as feck... But that's the way it'd be, it'd give challengers incentive to knock the leader off. And the quick rotation would mean that two skilled players would play often with a good chance of either one getting knocked off. Extra money would be saved at the end for Inferno place rental, extra prize money, outings to the zoo etc... And the only people who go home empty pocketed are the noobs Yay!

Button checks would be a pain alright though, but people would mainly pay for groups of 5 games anyway.

Still, can't see it working... When people can currently pay a fiver for a whole day. Meh.

Nobody minds you interrupting, just don't do it mid-game.

We don't won't this to be a money fixated event wheres the fun in that?
    Last thing we ever want is to hear about the money, thats why we do it as discreetly as possible.

Better communication, paying your do(Not you specifically:D) and Sharing the setups.

...Thats all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The idea of paying 20 cent a game or whatever is totally impractical imo. Sounds like a laugh but I don't see it working.

Any time I have money left over after casuals it goes to Chopper when I see him, and when I've been down money I've taken it out of that instead. I have 25 euro of community money atm so I'll sort Hound out with whatever he's owed after Nutrient or whoever has the money from Wednesday gives that to him.

Agreed with Dan that people should be paying more if they're there all day.

As for people not getting games in, you just have to not be worried about asking people to get off the machine. I agree with Kirby as well that people who stay on should get off after they complete a rotation of challengers in the room, that's an aspect of Northern rules that some people seem to conveniently ignore. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Nutrient wrote: »
    We don't won't this to be a money fixated event wheres the fun in that?
    Last thing we ever want is to hear about the money, thats why we do it as discreetly as possible.

Bang on the money with this one :pac:

I think the more arcadey style could be fun for an occasional day or perhaps a single console to give a more competitive vibe to casuals or to try and get some extra community funds so we can buy all the gems (I do think this style would end up with a fair profit) but at the same time you want to give people to play casually. Try new characters, try random AAs that mightn't work and other such experimentation. You that get opportunity with casuals as they are.

The arcade style also means that money would become a major step with change needed or trying to track how many games someone is on etc.

I still think it's great idea (I suggested it before :cool:) but not for everyday.

• Advertisement

Imagine lugging this in: www.weavefuture.com/coin_operated_xbox_360_ps3_pc.htm it'd be crap, the thing'd turn off controllers mid game. I don't think I'd be too hard to make a coin-op mech though, it'd be more of a special event thing though alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

damn im glad i stayed home

dont have the energy to find the thread but didnt this exact thing happen before and it was decided if your there for longer than four hours (ie 3-11) that you should be playing 10 for the amount of games you get in

pretty much since tyh me and lar have been paying e10 each to cover the console mk is on by ourselves because we generally get going at 330 and generally dont leave till 11 and it never just that only two to use it,so makes sense if your playing more you pay more,

as they say a little common sense goes along way

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

thank god i didnt come to this causal

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

It was a good day of casuals. GGs to all. A pity about the mishap but sure not to worry

ladnopoka wrote: »
    thank god i didnt come to this causal

We've found the problem :pac:

Also :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

it was a good casuals,to echo what everyone else says, hope hound gets his €€€ back

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Just to add:

- I left a fiver out in front of where the lads were playing before I left, basically on the TV, couldn't miss it. If someone didn't get it, I'm happy to give Hound another 5er as I'm not stuck for it at all. I probably should have given it to someone but I wasn't thinking.

- I realise I am a "stay on a console for ages" culprit, but honestly at the same time if someone says can I get in I'm fairly happy to get up. I do think that if people are waiting at all best of 3 should be implemented no matter what game or how many consoles.

- I always try to tell new people that they have to slightly more vocal to get in on casuals, I think I even said it to FutureGuy and asked the lads who were playing could he get in for a few as he'd been waiting a while.

- Finally, more than happy to pay an extra few bob to cover casuals but as Doyler says when there's extra money left over it's rare to hear it said on thread. It should be made clear to people to give that money over to Chopper (I think?) on threads so that losses can be covered. Naphiel is still owed a 5er I think, I paid him ten out of the left over deposit from Wednesday (got my console in and there was ten left over).

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Just to add:

- I left a fiver out in front of where the lads were playing before I left, basically on the TV, couldn't miss it. If someone didn't get it, I'm happy to give Hound another 5er as I'm not stuck for it at all. I probably should have given it to someone but I wasn't thinking.

Damn teachers :P
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    - Finally, more than happy to pay an extra few bob to cover casuals but as Doyler says when there's extra money left over it's rare to hear it said on thread. It should be made clear to people to give that money over to Chopper (I think?) on threads so that losses can be covered. Naphiel is still owed a 5er I think, I paid him ten out of the left over deposit from Wednesday (got my console in and there was ten left over).

This is something I never mentioned. When money was left over from tournaments/casuals/etc. I put it into a pile and added it whatever I felt was needed at the time. It was used to pay Chopper back for the speakers he bought, I used to pay for the monitors I bought, at various times it's been used for casuals/events that have cost more then they should have and in future it will be used to pay for gems. Lots and lots of gems.

I think the reason that it doesn't get mentioned as much is down to the fact that the people involved in the community fund have always had a fair idea of what's happening and there was no need for an update stating that €4 had been left over from casuals and it was added to the fund. My two cents.

I've been very active here despite my general lack of activity but this is the type if meta conversation that I really enjoy. As an aside if anyone wants to call me on anything, I have records of every penny I received from the community and every penny I spent. More or less :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Orim wrote: »
    Damn teachers :P

What's best about it is, the Anger Management scheme we use in SPHE is called (I shit you not)... SALT! Stop, Ask, Listen, Talk.

Oh yes... I teach children how to deal with SALT

Sure the kids may as well learn it from the voice of experience :pac:

You'd swear someone got aids at the last casual. I solemly promise to bring an oversized rubber mallet to the next casuals, you'll know then when time is up. As fer money, care not we're all loaded. At least I will be when I finish my coin-op TE mod.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I thoroughly enjoyed my few hours at casuals and was able to play alot of players I can't connect to on XBL.

I have to admit, I was very slow to ask for games and Onion had to ask for me because I was completely unaware of the etiquette associated with these meet-ups.

My first casuals were an absolute disaster as I hadn't a clue I had to say I wanted to play...I though people would simply say they had their share of games. I literally stood there for 90 minutes and p!ssed off again. I didn't know any better.

While I do agree with many of the guidelines written above, I do think that if there are two people who want to rent out another xbox for themselves and are willing to pay for that console between themselves, in addition to the usual casual fee, then there shouldn't be much of a problem once they have told the casuals organisers of their plan.

If I'm travelling 2 hours to attend casuals and I could pay an extra 10 euro to guarantee 4 hours of games (in addition to my 5 euro fee), I'd gladly take that option! Because I almost never get to to to casuals, I'd really like to maximize my number of games, but not at the expense of other players in attendance.

On that note, I'd like to thank everyone there last night. I think many people knew I rarely get to attend and I was given more than my fair share of games.

Tbh, people getting left out of games/money is bad planning. There are a feck load of consoles there, fair enough a few are crapped out.. but 19 is fine now. I had to DL the super/AE update to it but it works fine now. Two hours xbox'ing is enough for me anyway, then I have to go an' empty my colostomy bag anyway. To bring a twenty quid deposit and at the end pay at most four or five quid seems bang on. I have no idea where the problem is? People coming to casuals who haven't got money for a deposit, need to bring a fiver for a few hours play and to play longer... duh, bring a tenner. And when the deposit payer leaves; do an Eric Cartman on it and bring the console back. End of imo. No cold war. No aids.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just want to point out I never heard of any Northern rules at casuals before, not that I have an issue with them, but you can't follow unwritten rules if you never heard of them.

A few weeks ago was the first time I seen the best of 3 introduced, but I wasn't aware the winner was suppose to get off after a full rotation of the queue.

Sometimes there is no queue behind you and play on for many more games as well, then a queue forms later and your not playing attention to it, and no one says anything so you usually play on till someone says they want on.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

No rules or rotation are necessary at all. Just be don't be a scabby poo. Really not that complicated. Be aware of everyone else and talk to new ppl sitting behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Well I have never had a problem of "hey guys can I jump on for a few" if there no q.

The worst I get is just them saying we having a first to 5 or something and I have no problem waiting. Just speak up. Not like we going to turn around and tell you to **** off or something

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you want to get into the community, you gotta speak up & talk to everyone - just sitting there quietly isn't gonna do that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Think of it like coppers, you just gotta get stuck in there.

#A Excuse me can I buy you a drink?

#B Howiya! Wuaugh yeah, coppenberg and lucozade, and six fer me mates.

#A Actually... Hold on, I think I'm wanted outside, in a corner, throwing up from the smell of lynx for girls.

#B Wuaugh! Fukofftenyaretard, I'll git me fella after ye!

#A Boke.....

Advertisement