Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good reading material to improve English?

• 21-02-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

As the title suggest, I'm looking for good reading material to improve my LC English. I do already read regularly; including newspapers, novels and factional books, but I'm wondering if anyone on boards.ie has any recommendations that would be particularly beneficial to LC English? I am currently getting an A2 in most of my class tests, with the occasional A1 (in paper 1 comprehension mainly) but I would love to bring this up to an A1 average for the LC. What is the best way to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Reading Oscar Wilde always seems to put me in a creative mood :P

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

finality wrote: »
    Reading Oscar Wilde always seems to put me in a creative mood :P

Anything in particular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

If you liked Plath's poetry you'd probably love her journals. I'm reading them and its filled with great expression and nice words, it really improved my standard I feel :D And its very enjoyable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Just to add, it doesn't necessarily have to be poetry (classic or otherwise). ANy kind of reading (newspaper, novels etc.) will help with English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

sdiff wrote: »
    Anything in particular?

The importance of being earnest :D and the picture of Dorian Gray. Probably the two most popular of his works. But you could really read anything by him, it's all amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

sdiff wrote: »
    As the title suggest, I'm looking for good reading material to improve my LC English. I do already read regularly; including newspapers, novels and factional books, but I'm wondering if anyone on boards.ie has any recommendations that would be particularly beneficial to LC English? I am currently getting an A2 in most of my class tests, with the occasional A1 (in paper 1 comprehension mainly) but I would love to bring this up to an A1 average for the LC. What is the best way to do this?
    Just read anything and everything you can get your hands on. Find out what other people are studying for their Comparative Study and read those books for a start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Recently read F Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and The Last Tycoon.

They can be read in a day or two as they're short, to the point and actually really enjoyable. This guy was the master.

And also Gatsby the movie is coming out soon with Leo Di Caprio...

Advertisement